Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2019, 8:47 pm

A paper tower ... is that all ... I know someone who had to build one out of marshmallows and bamboo skewers :rolleyes:

I once had to build a bridge between two desks out of spaghetti :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 7th, 2019, 8:48 pm

That sounds easier...
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 7th, 2019, 8:50 pm

I mean the marshmallows not the spaghetti.
My point is that the paper tower is really vieux chapeau
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 7th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Or perhaps chapeau vieux...
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 8th, 2019, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones< I am glad that I missed out on tower building activities :o We had "trust" activities

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 8th, 2019, 8:29 am

Good morning wild ones. The carpet is laid :bounce: the furniture is all cleaned and returned to its place :bounce: :bounce: we actually had dinner at the dining table, I couldn't believe how much space there was, everything spread out on the 6 foot table instead of 2 foot 6 inches garden table :luv: I just have the glassware and China to return to the sideboard but no rush for that and the room doors to be shortened and 're-hung. Today is shopping, the veg draw is empty :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2019, 9:00 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
All sounds good Ice :tu:
We had an evening out yesterday at the PV of a ‘memorial’ retrospective exhibition of a fellow art student. Several people had made a considerable effort to get there so it was good to do some ‘catching up’. The exhibition was in a wonderful Tudor building which used to house the Early Music & Art Centre where I used to work ... so lots of nostalgia too.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 8th, 2019, 9:31 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Glad you had a good evening Suffs. A bit of nostalgia does you good sometimes :tu:

It must be nice to sit in you newly done room Icey.

Thank goodness I didn't ever have to do daft things like building towers. WE did some fairly stupid training days though. Including one big lecture when the National Curriculum was being introduced when some minister or another at the tiem stood up and said (can't even remeber why) I would like to bet that no-one in the hall could tell me where they were the night Walter Gabriel died. I put my hand up and told him :bounce: How dare anyone ask an Archer's addict such a stupid question!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 8th, 2019, 10:04 am

The worst interview I ever had was with two girlies from a recruitment firm who were interviewing me for a very technical job (which I could have easily done). They had absolutely no understanding of what the job was about and I think they dismissed me because I kept trying to talk about my actual skills and not soft skills and they were out of their comfort zone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 8th, 2019, 10:18 am

i didn't get a job with the council a few decades ago.
there was a 'confidential' medical form - only seen by the medical officer - that had to be filled in and i had the feeling that it wouldn't be that confidential - so when it asked if i had any illnesses i put down candida albicans.
in the interview the sweaty, fat personnel officer said ' i've noted on your medical form that you've put down candida albicans - what is that?' so i stared him in the face and said - 'thrush - and it said the form was confidential'.
needless to say i didn't get the job but it was so good to see him go bright red and squirm - along with the other two men on the interviewing panel.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 8th, 2019, 10:50 am

Morning all! My sleep pattern's gone haywire again. I felt the need for a short nap yesterday afternoon and woke up 3 hours later :oops:. Needless to say, then stayed up very late and woke up late this morning :rolleyes:.

Bet you're glad you had those insights before accepting the job WW!

Glad you had a nice evening Suffs - and so ppleased icey that your room is shipshape at last! :bounce:

Must force myself out to do the field trip recce which needs doing today. I am not at all in the mood as I want to get on with the house turning out but the exercise will be good. I think it is going to rain :rolleyes:. I noticed that the bits of the house which have had a spring clean need another little clean and tidy too .... :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 8th, 2019, 10:55 am

Back from Mah Jong, Deb did not go as the drain clearing man phoned at 8 30, we have been waiting for him since Tuesday :rolleyes: Anyway the drains are now clear, we knew that it was not the septic tank as that was cleared on Christmas Eve.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 8th, 2019, 10:57 am

Good morning everyone,
Thankfully no dodgy interviews (so far) for me though I've had my fair share of random "team building" exercises at training events over the years!
Cold & wet here this morning and it's to get very windy this afternoon.
I'm just having a :mug: before my grocery order arrives and then some housework beckons.
My younger son should arrive mid-afternoon, I'm really looking forward to seeing him as between weather & work he's not made it home for over a month. I'm making us a "cheats" katsu curry using pre-breaded chicken that I tried a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed. It's his birthday on Sunday and I need to get him to decide what he wants to do to celebrate it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2019, 11:58 am

I remember the ‘trust’ exercise we did at art school ... falling backwards blindfolded off a grand piano into the arms of fellow students ... I was around 40 ish. They were 17/18 ish ... they were very good ... thank goodness ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 8th, 2019, 12:15 pm

No way!!!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm

scullion wrote:in the interview the sweaty, fat personnel officer said ' i've noted on your medical form that you've put down candida albicans - what is that?' so i stared him in the face and said - 'thrush - and it said the form was confidential'.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 8th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Hi all,

Oh those pesky trust exercises! We used to have them all the time in my last job. One involved about twelve of us having to stand in a row holding a long pole in front of us. I can't for the life of me remember what we were supposed to be doing with it. All of a sudden they stopped holding those team building sessions. Probably realised what a waste of money they were. I would NOT have done the piano one! :scared: Trust issues, moi? :lol:

What a relief for you Ice! :tu: I remember getting my 'proper' dining table in my current flat after spending a year living, sleeping, breathing and eating on a single bed in the bedsit for a year. Wonderful, although mine is currently cluttered with cookery books! :rolleyes:

Fat Friday was cancelled today in favour of Subway Friday. :bounce: I forgot how good they are. I very quickly downed a 6" veggie patty with sweet chilli sauce. I treated my new car share buddy to her lunch. Next time I think I will try one of their salads. They are super huge!

Enjoy your afternoons folks!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2019, 2:17 pm

suffolk wrote:I remember the ‘trust’ exercise we did at art school ... falling backwards blindfolded off a grand piano into the arms of fellow students ... I was around 40 ish. They were 17/18 ish ... they were very good ... thank goodness ...
earthmaiden wrote:No way!!!

Wellllll ... they were quite big strong (good looking) lads ;) .... and they knew if theyd dropped me Id probably have broken :shock: and when you’re a mature student it’s important to join in and be one of the group. The other mature student (a tiny ex ballerina) would do the exercise ... she was never really part of the group and it impacted on her work :|
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 8th, 2019, 2:34 pm

I remember doing the trust exercises in youth theatre, but thankfully not off a piano, and not at work. We did do various team building exercises. It may not astound many of you that my icebreaker fun fact about myself that nobody would guess is that I have played in the World Backgammon Championships :D

Been out for a walk to look at the market, sadly not much happening even on a Friday, and to buy some face cream. Thought I’d pop into Sainsbury and a couple more shops while I was there. Spent quite a lot in the end, :oops: but now stocked up on gin (on offer), coffee, anchovies and for the magnificent sum of £21 spent in Matalan I got a Bengal stripe shirt and a tankini, both of which are exactly what I’ve been looking for :D

Happy International Women’s Day by the way, :cocktail:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 8th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Did you win a medal Sue. Where was it held ?

My guilty secret when asked on these ocassiona is that my grandfather was a Sunderland supporter !

Youngest GD is goingto take part in the World Cheerleading championships in Florida next month.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 8th, 2019, 3:02 pm

It's the icebreakers I hate. The one where we had to hug the person next to us was interesting (and did break he ice!). Then there was linking up in the order of where we were born from north to south, guessing from a label on your back who your 'pair' was and many more. One which was particularly enjoyed was trying to make a paper aeroplane which could outfly the others - oh the competition! In the water industry there is a kit used in schools which comes out regularly where you build a water network with houses at various heights and real pipes the size of drinking straws, valves etc. The idea is to construct it correctly so that when water is poured into the reservoir it reaches everywhere. I don't think I have even seen the highest qualified engineers get it right first time (the height of the reservoir usually has to be adjusted and there is always a closed valve somewhere).

Excellent shopping Sue! I have done my recce and am making a mess with coffee and a crumbly scone before I go home.
Last edited by earthmaiden on March 8th, 2019, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 8th, 2019, 3:07 pm

It is Deb's birthday next week, I offered to take her out to supper, she decided on the Oriental at the Four Seasons. I got the menu up via the web, checked their set menus and fancied one them, closer inspection showed that I was just looking at the starters , I really do not think that I could cope with the main dishes, I have got to the stage of not being able to eat large quantities of food late at night.
I should mention that her birthday present comes from Hotel Chocolat.

I was wondering why one of the Kurion Beach cafes, Chris Blue Beach was not open, most places are opening this weekend. It seems that the owner is in hospital in Dubai, his sons who run the place are with him. I wonder what will happen Where will I take my SIL for coffee?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 8th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Did you win a medal Sue. Where was it held ?

No, no medals, It's all serious money - it's held in Monte Carlo, every July, lasts a week, and there were three levels or flights - beginner (which was really for accompanying friends and family), Intermediate (good club level players so I went in there) and the Championship or Masters Flight, which is the real World Championship. The format is knock out in several rounds, same format as Wimbledon. In 2000 when I played you just turned up and paid your money but I think the Championship flight requires you to qualify in lesser tournaments now, so many more people play at national level in various countries. You bought a ticket, which as well as the registration fee and prize fund covered a couple of cocktail parties and a gala dinner with cabaret at Le Sporting Club de Monte Carlo.

I went out in the second round in 2000, but my friend came third in the Championship Flight last year. :cocktail: we were all watching him online
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 8th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Bummer!

I have been offered the dratted job.
I have asked for the weekend to consider it. I think the HR woman was pretty surprised but she agreed.

Now what do I do.
I might ask them to bring the working hours forward a bit to 8am start. If they agree and let me finish at 3 that might work.
It's fixed term to the end of the year.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 8th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Sounds like a good compromise WW, and as it’s only until the end of the year if it’s too much the end would be in sight.

Congratulations, even if you don’t take the job it’s a boost to morale.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Well done WW :cocktail: :cocktail: ... you don’t have to take the job, so if you do, make sure it’s on your terms ... :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Well done WW whatever you decide to do... :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 8th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Well, congratulations on getting the offer WWordsworth!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 8th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Great that you were offered the job WW whatever you intend to do.

Monte Carlo sounds pretty good to me Sue. What was the dinner like? :cocktail: :cocktail:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 9th, 2019, 6:41 am

My ! Its been very frantic and busy. Yesterday morning over the 1st T of the day Mr. Z. said to me..... shall we go to the beach today ? Then the builder arrived and questioned why there were no upstairs lintels in a certain place. Phoned architect VMLM. Called building control at the council and spoke to a very nice knowledgeable chap who looked at our plans and came back with quick informative information that allowed builder to carry on joining the old house to the new build... I contacted a local solar company to see if they could drop by and see if they could sort out why we were not generating tricity a very young gal, tried to sell me a servicing package. Then another chap promised to call back when the boss was out of his meeting. An hour later - there we were working in the garden and a chap walks around the side of the house - from the solar company - it was the boss !!!! Turns out the sparky had disconnected then re-connected (wrongly) one of the solar 'boxes', he re-wired it the right way - he charged us £30 and now we are generating tricity again !!!! So glad I did not agree to go to the beach !!!!

Tiler turned up to price the job he will be back a week on Friday. Old front kitchen window has now been knocked out along with the wall underneath so we now get an idea of how big it will all be. The cats are saucer eyed and long necked !!!

Eric the Polak is coming today to re-site the rainbow sandstone sphere to its forever home, this is the first of the 3 garden projects in the pipeline. Let's see how long it will be before :evil: kicks off. :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 9th, 2019, 7:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Well done WW, I hope that your prospective new employers co operate.
You must be dealing with a local firm specialising in generating electricity Zosh, I cannot imagine the boss of one the big companies turning up like that..
Smashed avocado on toast for breakfast, local avocadoes are cheap at present, it is good local bread.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 9th, 2019, 8:07 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: and I have a sniffling cold :twisted: :!: :!: WW congrats on the job offer, but why did you apply if you didn't want the job :?: :?:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2019, 8:25 am

Morning all!
WW - that's sods law! You are obviously very good at building towers :lol:. Well done anyway, I hope you are able to make the right choice.

Zosh :hug:. What on earth will you do with your time when/if this is all over? ;)

A nice sunny morning. Today I intend tackling my bedroom with some ruthless turning out of wardrobe and drawers. There is also a storage cupboard which seems to be housing rather a lot of Christmas paper which I suppose I will keep and try to remember to use at Christmas :rolleyes:.

:hug: to all. I would love to go to Monte Carlo.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby jrc » March 9th, 2019, 8:41 am

34BAF48B-6089-4A30-A9F4-EBD44E8794FE.jpeg

Morning all :hug:
The plan was we were going to get moo out and have some nice hot Greggs ( a la Iceland ) sausage rolls upon our return. We bought a pack of four the day before yesterday and cooked and ate the first two the same day.

I just got the second two out and whilst I don’t know what it is for definite I have gone off the idea.

It is NOT pastry and the photo is not that clear. :sprout:
Last edited by jrc on March 9th, 2019, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 9th, 2019, 8:41 am

Hi all!

A very blustery day here! I need to grab the bus into town at some point this side of midday. I need meds from Boots, stronger back pain killers mainly, I'll have a wander around, stick to my habit that I cannot shake off of looking in charity shops. :tu: I have a whopping 60p to spend on my loyalty card with The Works :bounce: and will see if I can put it towards a treat for myself (like I need more books) and there's a couple of bits I could do with from Asda. And as there is absolutely nothing on TV tonight I'll be looking out for a DVD along the way.

I fancy pizza tonight. Now, do I make my own from scratch or cheat and buy one? Depends on the offerings in Asda I guess.

Enjoy your Saturdays folks!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » March 9th, 2019, 9:05 am

Morning All

Last day for the floor tiler today, at least some order will be restored until the kitchen fitter starts in a couple of weeks, we too have very confused kitties!

I never miss a browse round a charity shop Tezza, some of my best buys have come from there. My recently departed winter coat was one such buy, £5.00 and it lasted 16 winters, worth every penny!

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2019, 9:31 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I was going to do a bit of gardening this morning but it’s chilly out there and my sniffle is turning into a bit of a chesty cold. As I’ve heard there’s a few folk who’ve developed chest infections lately I think I’ll stay out of the chill wind (apart from hanging washing out and I’ll put a jacket on to do that). I’ve promised OH a lasagne for supper, so id better get on with making the ragu ...

I think it’s good to keep your ‘interview skills’ current ... even if you’re not desperate to change jobs ... and sometimes the advert/job description sounds right up your street .... and then you meet the interviewer, and ...... :shock: change your mind.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 9th, 2019, 9:41 am

Good morning
It was brilliantly sunny a few minutes ago, but it is fading already

Out to play a league backgammon match, really should catch the 11 am train

Theatre last night was good, though I think the play itself could do with a bit more plot

Better get on to get out in time. It’s quite cold I think, back to The sweaters

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 9th, 2019, 9:58 am

Suffs - look after yourself. Bronchitis for me two weeks ago. Yuck. Enjoy your lasagne in the cosy warm!

Chinch - I picked up a lovely pair of perfect condition Hotter black ankle boots for £2 and a beautiful vintage Maldon salt pig also £2 recently. I'll have my beady eye out today!

Enjoy backgammon Sue. Is that relatively easy to learn?

:hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Market in the sunshine this morning and happy faces all round. I went a bit OTT on cheese which we have already sampled at lunch time, amongst other things. I often wonder why I bother to cook when you can just stuff your face with wonderful cheese!

Good charity shop hunting Tezza. I got a lot of the NE pressed glass I collect in such shops not to mention all sorts of bits and pieces for this house.

Happy backgammoning Sue. I can play so can Mr R but, as you know he prefers chess. Tezza I think Sue would agree its one of those ganes which is not too difficult to learn the basics but to become skillful is quite another thing!

Look after that chest Suffs. DS has something similar and cancelled his diving planned for today. Bad chests and scuba equipment don't go together.

We are really looking forward to tonight's viewing of Bohemian Rhapsody The DVD wasn't supposed to be released until Monday but ours arrived earlier in the week.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm

I have some lamb shanks in a low oven, they are too big for the slow cooker. They are actually Spiced, Sticky Lamb Shanks, I have to put in pomegranate molasses and some dried fruit towards the end of cooking. There are some peppers and a courgette in the fridge so will make a sort of ratatouille to serve with it together with some rice.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2019, 1:53 pm

The washing is dry, folded and put to air ... just in time as the wind became stormy and rain started hammering on the windows... the sun is shining now but ‘they’ say we may get more heavy showers later. Nevertheless the jobs are all done, the lasagne is ready to put in the oven later and I’ve had a cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch ... now I’ve got a :mug: ... where’s that sofa .... ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 9th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Must be the day for charity shops, we have a new hospice one opened this week.

They have numerous tea sets, a Denby one and a Hornsea pottery, but it’s the Portmerrion stuff that caught my eye. We honeymooned in Portmerrion and we’re given some nice bits as gifts, the charity shop had six storage jars ar £10 each, i was itching to get them but where would I display them. They match my tablecloth and place mats. Decisions, decisions.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2019, 2:39 pm

How lovely BB. I wonder if they've put especially nice things out to encourage people in? It's great when you find one that often has nice things.

I started doing a couple of office things that needed doing and it's taken till now :rolleyes:. Needed doing but the bedroom clearout is running late and will probably spill over and may not be finished today. I have been looking for some good quality fitted cotton sheets, I usually have cheap ones. There don't seem to be many shops left that sell that sort of thing. I may have to venture to our John Lewis home store.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 9th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Personally, I don’t think you can beat John Lewis on bedding. It’s not the cheapest but washes and wears really well.

BB

Edited to add Ikea bedding is also good but I’d rather stick pins in my eye than venture into Ikea, I find it a deeply unsettleing experience! :terrified: :terrified:
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 9th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Go to Ikea at offpeak times and it's fine - ie no weekends or school holidays!
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I agree, Ikea's fine off peak - as long as you don't try to cut corners on the way round :lol:. I need to go there for a kitchen cupboard so might have a look. I just wanted to own some 'luxury' sheets once in my life. They had some in a shop in town but the good ones had a weave which gave an appearance of white and silver stripes which I didn't like.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 9th, 2019, 4:34 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I agree, Ikea's fine off peak - as long as you don't try to cut corners on the way round :lol:

Actually, I've got the Reading one off to a fine art when it comes to knowing where the short-cuts are. :D

I agree re Ikea bedding sets. They're really good IMO.

(The other splendid thing about a trip to local Ikea is the food section on the way out. I can never resist popping in for a few packets of crispbreads and some frozen fishy things :chops: ).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 9th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I can't fault Ikea. I don't actually think I have ever purchased anything from John Lewis...

The charity shopping today yielded some complete Only Fools And Horses box sets and a couple of films on DVD and an unusually shaped mug for work. Nothing special was to be had. Nothing that I could have carried home anyway. I have a cheese feast stuffed crust pizza in the oven for dinner. I've never done stuffed crust! I'll have rocket, red onion and tomato salad with it. I bought myself a copy of the Highway Code which will help me with my work, also a cookery book called 'We Love Kale' and three Love Hearts scented candles from The Works. I feel quite indulgent!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Seatallan wrote: Actually, I've got the Reading one off to a fine art when it comes to knowing where the short-cuts are. :D

Yes, it's quite well designed. I like it too. We had to go to Bristol before that :evil:. I agree, always good to look at the food - but these days wonder why there was originally such a fuss about the meatballs and sauce in the restaurants. Not to my taste any more. I will go and look at sheets next week.

Looks like a great shopping spree Tezza! I've bought quite a few household things from John Lewis, never been disappointed (apart from my sofas which shed feathers like a moulting bird).
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop