Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby StokeySue » March 9th, 2019, 7:09 pm

I used to visit the Wembley ikea on the way home from work, pretty much deserted on a Tuesday night after seven except once when I went and it was full of families filling up the kids with meatballs ahead of the topping out for the new Wembley Stadium - huge fireworks display

Won 17 - 6, which means I get to play an old chum before the end of May

Bought my tickets for the British Library food season - one about crossovers and authenticity and the other Felicity Cloake and Nikki Segnit talking about the perfect home cook, which should be fun
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 9th, 2019, 7:38 pm

I have decided to turn the job down.
It doesn't pay enough to compensate for me spending 12-15 hours in the car each week

Pension info from last but one employer has arrived in the post.
Mmm mmm..... that's better than I expected.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2019, 7:52 pm

A positive decision and good news ... all in one day :cocktail: :cocktail: Cheers! :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 9th, 2019, 11:35 pm

One of the positives for John Lewis is the guarantees they include, especially on electrical goods.

I haven't been to Ikea in ages. Then we went on Thursday to buy some "stuff" for the two new rooms that we now have. Billy bookcases. clothes rail and a dining table. The table is an exact fit over the water tanks in the new loft room. I was going to build a frame and cover, but realised all I was doing was making a table!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » March 10th, 2019, 6:04 am

There is a large JL on the outskirts of Salisbury which I like to browse, we did get our Apple Mac Book pro there but apart from a few odds and sods, I don't make a beeline for shopping there.

Yesterday was frantic ! Eric the Polak arrived at 8.15 and Mr. Z was a builders mate for the day. By 3.45pm the rainbow sphere was situated in her forever home, wired in temporarily until an outside socket has been fitted. They used quite a lot of hardcore from the skip and some sand that had got mixed with our shingle drive, a bag of slightly dodgy cement and then the cable was buried in a length of tubing that was lying about. Some short lengths of wide bathroom tubing was cut to length to help support the grid on which the sphere sits and we are now virtually ready for some paving to finish it all off. A very productive day all in all. We also walked round the outside of the house collecting all the rubble, half bricks and that helped with the clearing and hardcore.

I managed to get a load of washing washed and dried (was it windy or what ???) I swept the chimney and have tried to seal the problematic areas of the Hobbit room door where the water has been blowing in underneath. Time will tell!

We were both cream crackered but managed to have a nice soak in the bath, lay a fire and cook a very early supper and I was in bed by 8.45pm
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 10th, 2019, 7:28 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Zosh, are you taking today off?
We have had a discussion about lunch, somehow I do not think that I shall be making soup today

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 10th, 2019, 8:01 am

Good morning wild ones. We have sleety rain this morning. It has been raining all night, the gardens are all under water this morning. My cold is developing nicely, I don't think I can point to any part of my body that doesn't ache :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 10th, 2019, 8:57 am

In the link supplied by Suffs in response to my query about boiling goose eggs, I found this comment from myself … dated 2011 :o :

PatsyMFagan wrote:I'm just wondering when my legs will stop feeling so leaden ........ what with the walking, the zumba and the exercises divised by the physio for my arthritic knees ...........(crossed eyes smiley )

I am pleased to say that the continuation of Zumba and addition of Fitsteps has completely cleared up my arthritic knees, with pain free classes now ! :tu: :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 10th, 2019, 10:27 am

It is Carnival weekend here, I got stuck in queue when I bought the Sunday papers. Small people were buying confetti, silly string, whistles and other carnival paraphernalia. The children's procession which should have been held last Sunday was cancelled because of rain, they will lead off the proceedings today. Basically do not attempt to go into Limassol unless you are attending Carnival, everyone will be there including the president, he is a Limassol lawyer. The speciality is satirical floats

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 10th, 2019, 10:34 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The sun is shining off and on but ut is very warm so possible lunch on the terrace.

We really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was really very moving at the end and brought happy emories of the Queen concertthe kids, some of their friends and I went to when DD was 18.

I haven't been to Ikea in years mostly because Mr R refuses to set foot in the place. I get my bed linen from M&S these days especially when their sale is on. Trouble with buying it here is that French beds tend to be 8 cms shorter than UK ones and we have UK sized beds. I've got a thing about blue and white - always have and I got a really beautiful set last month at half price:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/en-fr/h ... 8_color=AS.

Well done Sue. I hope it was enjoyable.

I hope everyone has/is having a good Sunday. I'll see you all after lunch.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 10th, 2019, 10:58 am

Oh that's lovely Rats! :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 10th, 2019, 11:40 am

Morning all! Deep envy at your relative proximity to the British Library Sue!

Looks as though everyone's being quite industrious (but commiserations to icey). We've certainly got March winds here this morning although the sun is trying to brighten things up.

Pat - such brilliant news 're your knees!

Lovely bedding Rats, I hadn't thought of M&S when I looked in town the other day :rolleyes:.

More bedroom sorting today. I turned out enough pairs of assorted tights to keep me going for life yesterday. I had no idea they were all there :oops:. I have yet to meet anyone who has devised clever tights organisation (but bet Wildies will come to the rescue!). I am putting everything that needs sorting out for charity shops, bin or organisation in a big box and will sort it out afterwards. Today is drawers under the bed and the wardrobe :|.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Hello!

I had some old French sheets made for a narrower bed than current ones, but much longer than standard UK sheets, I think the extra length was to wrap round the bolster and anchor it, instead of using a bolster case

Sounds like a sofa day icey

Very windy here, unsure what to do, might just pop to the supermarkets and see how that goes

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 10th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Good morning all :D :mug: except it’s afternoon now :oops: I got sidetracked while listening to the Archers and prepped tonight’s veg and chicken to roast, and then made some Scotch pancakes for brunch ... then a needy phone chat with DD and then ordered my veg seeds from Chilterns (I tried not to get too carried away but ... :lol: )

Great news about those knees Pat :tu: Reading back eh ... sunshine and rainbows ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 10th, 2019, 12:57 pm

9500168D-F15F-4C8B-9C40-EF2A2395D756.jpeg

Not my own photo

The wind has blown the parapet off a building about 250 metres awY - the wall that stood about a metre high above the gutters is lying on the pavement in the form of single bricks

Road closed and buses diverted
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 10th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Goodness Sue, I'm assuming no-one was hurt. Very fortunate if so. :o
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 10th, 2019, 1:20 pm

No, it conveniently chose to go early morning but during daylight, before cafes and coffee shops opened

No injuries
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 10th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Glad you like the bedding. I've a pair of PJs in almost the same design and Mr R saysthey are brilliant camoflage :oops: :oops:

Good job that building went when it did Sue. It could have been very nasty. I loved the "lecture" we went ot at the BM last year. Oh the French bolsters and the sheets they went under - excrutiatingly uncomfortable. I used to carry my own pillow everywhere

we had a fabulous lunch but not on the terrace where only tourists were sitting - rather well wrapped up too, I had a canelloni made from Spanish cured ham around feta with herbs on a Parmesan crumble and a red cabbage and apple slaw with respberry vinegar. I've never seen such finely shredded cabbage. The Calves sweet breads roasted in hay with cauliflower mousse and trompets des morts mushrooms with a toasted hazelnut topping. Dessert was a raspberry and marscapone tartlet with a raspberry sorbet and puree.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 10th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Lordy lordy I have just realised that MasterChef is on tonight, tomorrow and Tuesday. I do wish they could stick to the same day !
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 10th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Sort of caught up. I had visitors from the States, some child sitting, some dog walking... as you do. All of a sudden, it's Sunday evening. How did that happen?

We had a rather mediocre meal today (son had given us a voucher as a Christmas present) at a formerly superb eatery. The service was slow and sloppy and disappointing, the food rather uninspiring. Such a shame.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 10th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Well what was meant to be a bit of a restful day ended up busier with shopping in Trowbridge - some good bargains and a swift half at the pub on the way home.

Came home to a lovely smell of gammon hock with green lentils in the SC and some seriously interested wussers !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 11th, 2019, 6:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, that was a near miss, Sue.
It is Green Monday here, the Monday before Lent. The one with vegetarian picnics and kite flying. The word vegetarian is stretched to include anything that does not appear to have blood, so includes prawns, octopus and squid. The country road from Souni to Sotira will be lined with trestle tables and plastic chairs, there will be large pans of beans and the inevitable souvla. Personally I prefer to watch the kites.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 11th, 2019, 7:00 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Bright and breezy here in Norfolk ... and apparently the windchill
Means it feels -3C out there. I’m snug under he duvet and smiling meaningfully at the sleeping form of ‘He who makes the coffee’ ... the alarm will go off shortly...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 11th, 2019, 8:20 am

Good morning wild ones. Wow did we have a storm during the night :shock: rain, hail, snow and wind, I thought the window was going to be ripped off. This morning it is all settled and the Sun is peeping through.
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » March 11th, 2019, 8:26 am

Morning all :hug:

Our pier suffered storm damage yesterday. :(

Physio later. :D

Just had my third :mug: :shock:

Will be attempting a roast chicken later. We were meant to have it yesterday but ran out of time. :oops:

Hope everyone is warm and safe :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

Morning all! I believe there has been a scattering of snow in some parts. Nice and sunny and calm here.

What a shame about the restaurant Sloe. I thought that the lunch enjoyed by the Rats looked wonderful. The Green Monday celebrations look rather good too.

The bedroom is nearly 'turned out'. Just needs a good clean this morning. I have a bag of rubbish and and large box of things for a charity shop to show for it. Need to get some shopping later. All very mundane but it's lovely to have some spare time in which to get it all done.

Some weeks ago I bought a decadent rtc item in Waitrose. Chips with cheese on top (!). I have always resisted 'cheesy chips' as they seem very naughty. I think it is clever of Waitrose to have thought of marketing flavoured potato with a sprinkling of cheese for a large sum of money. The rtc price was better. Anyway, they were quite nice but the best, crispiest, bits stuck fast to the metal tray and I doubt that even a hammer and chisel would have helped, which was a great shame.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

It's one of those windy but sunny days :wave: which shoul dbe the norm in March here. I've washed a stack of sweaters to put away and they are drying in the sun. I've pegged them to the airer otherwise they could end up at the top of the Luberon.

Shame about the meal SG it is so dissappointing when you look forward to a meal out and it turnss out to be nothing special, especially if the service is poor. I head for Trip Advisor at such times because they do read it. I think we are extremely lucky to have so many excellent restaurants we can rely upon withing easy reach. We have a couple to try which have changed hands recently. Our trick is to go for a cheap mid-week meal to test the water. Almost all our local restaurantshave such menus which are alway far cheaper that the evening/weekend menus. The restaurant we were at yesterday is unique in thet it has a lunch-time menu every day, including weekends and holidays and it changes every day.

Stay warm and dry everyone and have a good week.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 11th, 2019, 11:03 am

I asked Deb to buy some rolls for lunch on her way back from her Monday group. She says that the baker's was heaving with people, it was only selling two items, little savoury pastries and a special flat loaf, it is a long oval, not pitta bread but made of a soft dough and covered in sesame seeds. We shall be having it with cheese, it has been suggested that it is an ideal shape for fish finger sandwiches :o

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 11th, 2019, 11:33 am

Downstairs is all clean and shiny ... parquet has had its monthly light polish and buffing, there’s two loads of washing flapping in the ‘breeze’ :shock: a load of pinnies and teatowels in a hot wash and there’s some pastry resting in the fridge for pasties later on. Which reminds me ... I’m never very successful with wholemeal pastry ... I’ll start a thread ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 11th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Hello
Sunny and breezy here too
Must get out and fill my lungs

Nothing like a fish finger sandwich Moira, loads of good tartare sauce, had one as a quick pre-theatre supper on Friday :chops:

Have a good day everyone’s
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 11th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Mr R just managed to grab my "best" blouse before it flew off, It is a beautiful day though . I must be very very odd. I don't honestly think I have ever eaten a fish finger. I probably have but when and where I can't imagine. I've filled my lungs pottering in the garden. The bulbs are so lovely and the japonica, just outside the gate needed a bit of restraint.

Unfortunately my inflammatory indicators are up and so I'm back on Meds which I absoluetly hate, but I can't go on dropping things and my knee giving out on me.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 11th, 2019, 1:54 pm

There is kite flying in progress on the road outside, one has just been disentangled from the acacia by the front gate. Officially it is fathers teaching their children how to fly a kite, by this time in afternoon, almost 4 00pm it is Dads doing it for themselves :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 11th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Good Afternoon Wild Ones. Well what a change in the weather, the sun is out with a nice breeze. Washing is on the wirlygig thing :tu: Beasts have their beds outside and are soaking up the rays :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 11th, 2019, 3:05 pm

If anyone is at a loose end there is a lovely service from Westminster Abbey on BBC1 at the moment for Commonwealth Day.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 11th, 2019, 4:07 pm

There's a video of the parapet in Stoke Newington falling.

A pedestrian had a very lucky escape, it seems... :o :o :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... es-in-wind
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » March 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Goodness, that WAS close! There are so many buildings in London of that age and design which have probably not been checked out for years, let's hope it doesn't happen too often!

Bedroom spick and span, bags dropped at charity shop, shopping done. I am not going to start on anything else today, there are things I want to catch up with on TV (including the service PP mentioned - I can fast forward the bits I don't want to see ;) ).

I am the one person in the world who doesn't think that lovely fish fingers belong in a sandwich. People find it very hard to accept for some reason. I just don't find white fish and bread and butter a good match.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 11th, 2019, 4:41 pm

One thing about that video, why was anyone recording an otherwise dull bit of road? Were the expecting the wall to fall?
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 11th, 2019, 5:10 pm

aero280 wrote:There's a video of the parapet in Stoke Newington falling.

A pedestrian had a very lucky escape, it seems... :o :o :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... es-in-wind

Yes, my original information was clearly wrong, I understood it had happened before the cafe opened

cyprusmoira wrote:One thing about that video, why was anyone recording an otherwise dull bit of road? Were the expecting the wall to fall?

It’s security CCTV recording, probably mostly intended to keep an eye on the alley to the right, which leads to several premises that might be targets. If nothing exciting had happened it would have been discarded by now. Most of the High Street is under 24 hour surveillance

It has been tidied up now, and there’s a sort of cage round the cafe windows, though it’s open. There’s also a temporary roof of scaffolding over the alley.
There has been muttering about poor maintenance, but N. who would possibly know says the building is rather well maintained, as it’s huge, going back about twice as far as you might expect, and they try to keep it fully let

Not so windy today, quite nice out in fact
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Ratatouille wrote: I must be very very odd. I don't honestly think I have ever eaten a fish finger.

you and me, both.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 11th, 2019, 7:35 pm

I ate them as a kid...... with peas - Friday night supper.

Nuther manic day........ soakaway drains should have been dug by hand but they have decided that a digger is needed... tomorrow. So they moved indoors and did more plaster boarding and insulation.

Mr. Z worked his socks off and dug up a corner of garden that is to become a paved area and we removed paving elsewhere and planted a climbing rose and an old established clematis.... they have 2 chances, time will tell !

We received a huge delivery of block paving and a patio pack. The vehicle parked on the road up to our house and a huge Hi-ab lifted 9 pallets of goods over our rather large laurel hedge onto a scrappy piece of grass in the garden. I just love it when a plan comes together !

Lunch time came and went and late avo. we refreshed and cooked a large trout with buttered sliced almonds, a nice cauliflower recipe with a tahini dressing and some Pink Fir Apples and a solitary large Cyprus potato. Totally chilled now with an early night planned.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 11th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Waitrose jumbo fish fingers from the fresh fish counter are delicious ... a great Saturday brunch ... especially in a white bread sandwich with a smidgeon of salad cream and some crisps :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 11th, 2019, 10:08 pm

It would have to be tartare for me... :chops: and S&V crisps
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 11th, 2019, 10:15 pm

The “new and improved” Birds Eye Fish Fingershave a lovely crisp coating when grilled
Good with Maille tartare
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 12th, 2019, 6:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, according to the local paper we have had so much rain that we have not had more than four consecutive dry days all winter, more rain forecast for tomorrow
Zosherooney wrote: a solitary large Cyprus potato
Potatoes are large this year, probably all that rain :D
It was a dry day for Green Monday yesterday.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 12th, 2019, 7:49 am

Good morning wild ones. It's been raining all night and its still pouring down. :shock: The bottom of the garden is under water in places. :rolleyes: The beasts are refusing to go out. :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2019, 8:06 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Overcast here and the wind’s getting up ... hope all those in Gareth’s path have their hatches well battened down :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 12th, 2019, 8:25 am

Morning all,

Bird's Eye battered fish fingers are superiorly delicious in a white bread sarnie if you can get hold of them. A nice layer of lettuce in there with the salad cream makes all the difference I think. :hungry:

After a night of howling wind I'm up to see previously blown over and fixed fences over again. I have today off to let the council in to do a gas boiler safety check after we had huge gas reworks in town since November. Then I have to try and get an afternoon emergency appointment to see my GP about my lower back pain. My meds have now been upped to include a Codeine based drug. It's still not touching it. I suspect x-rays or something will be required. While I am waiting for gas boiler person I think I will absorb myself in the kale cookery book I bought on Saturday. All of this when I wish I was at work in the throng of it all!

Enjoy Tuesday all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 12th, 2019, 8:49 am

Good morning
Battening down the hatches here ahead of the arrival of Gareth the Gale (Add your own Welsh accent) but will go out to a board game playing club, part of U3A

Didn’t sleep very well for some reason but still will get out there

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 12th, 2019, 9:14 am

Morning all! I don't think that today's weather is going to be very nice.

I'm out with friends for lunch tomorrow and would rather like to wear a new/different top so will have a look round town today. Meeting GD from nursery later. Having a day off the spring clearing. The room that looks worst is saved for last but I think will be quite straightforward. After that will have to have a couple of paperwork days ... and then there's the garden but unlike real gardeners I rarely set foot out there this early in the year (it's only tiny) :oops:.

Keep safe everyone.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 12th, 2019, 9:24 am

Hope everyone in Gareth's path is wearing their lead boots. Did anyone watch Gareth Malone last night. He is a wonderful teacher.

Yesterday's mistral has died down and the sun is shining. I don't think I will have to collect any laundry from the Luberon, Counted it out and back in again.

We are waiting for the Citroen garage to come with a new ccar to test drive. They have discontinued the model we have at the moment which is a shame because it is easy for me and my dodgy joints to get in and out of. We really want a hybrid but Citroen don't do one yet. We don't want to change manufacturer because we like the staff at the local garage.
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop