Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby miss mouse » March 16th, 2019, 6:12 pm

aero280 wrote:Looks a lot nicer than the older Cactus which had random plastic panels stuck all over it!.

That reminds of a friend's Mini Traveller decades ago, the friendship group called it her 'Half Timbered Car'. Antiques and country cottages were The Thing then so it was very 'on trend'.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Those panels are extremely useful when parking in French supermarket and other car parks I can absolutely assure you!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Good point Rats :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 16th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I agree, I've been to Southern Europe and the car driver's don't have the same respect for bodywork as they seem to in Northern Europe!! :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » March 16th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Strange day, started off quiet and still and as the day went on, it got windier and windier..... 5.15 let the cats out, caught up with Cheat on ITV hub till 7 ish then slept again till 8.15 had tea, and with various jobs done, departed the house at 11.50 for Swindon. I have never been in a Dunelm before, a plethora of stuff to stuff your house with !! Bought chunky wine glasses (they work!), T lights, new shades for bedroom, a cling film (sensible) dispenser, and hopefully a riser for a shower head?? Lunch at Wagamamas..... Mmmmmm, a visit to the Bose shop for a speaker to link up with the Christmas purchase, M&S, then home for 6.15pm, Ham and cheese toastie for me and just ham for Mr. Z. over The Devil Wears Prada, then up the wooden hills for me.... Sleep well all....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2019, 10:47 pm

aero280 wrote:I agree, I've been to Southern Europe and the car driver's don't have the same respect for bodywork as they seem to in Northern Europe!! :o

Interesting that East Anglia should have so much in common with Southern Europe :? ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 16th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Park like this :D

DSC00209.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2019, 6:30 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A lovely morning ... the wind has dropped and the sky is blue :D

Aero ...that’s what I’d expect of a BMW driver ... I wouldn’t want to park near one anyway ... don’t want to be tainted with naffness by association ... (apologies to any BMW driving Wildies ;) )

I usually park in splendid isolation on the far boundary of the car park, over near the hedge, where no one else has parked ... and then when I return to the car I find that such is the magnetism and attraction of my stylish car that loads of other drivers have been driven to park around it, in the hope that a little of the glamour will ‘rub off’ onto them :rolleyes:
:lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 17th, 2019, 6:40 am

Yes, the wind and rain of last evening has subsided to leave a clear if cold morning. Eric the Polack will be here @ 8.30 for a days work in the garden, with us acting at navvies ! Well I will be doing refreshments and some light work after the events of last year.....! Mr. Z.'s rules.. :? As the sun is out and I have large white polish beans soaking they will be briskly boiled and then added to the SC with romanian meatballs and some tomato and paprika sauce, might be nice with some polenta for supper after garden jobs. Happy Sundays everyone.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 17th, 2019, 7:22 am

suffolk wrote:Aero ...that’s what I’d expect of a BMW driver ... I wouldn’t want to park near one anyway ... don’t want to be tainted with naffness by association ... (apologies to any BMW driving Wildies )

Hmm!
Gruney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 17th, 2019, 7:27 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
aero280 wrote:Park like this
Looks like standard Cypriot parking to me ;)
Sunny morning here at last. We are getting worried, my brother and SIL are due here tomorrow week, we were planning several trips into the countryside and mountains, no good if it raining. We plan a trip to see the wild peonies, rare but we know where to find them.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2019, 7:33 am

Gruney wrote:
suffolk wrote:Aero ...that’s what I’d expect of a BMW driver ... I wouldn’t want to park near one anyway ... don’t want to be tainted with naffness by association ... (apologies to any BMW driving Wildies )

Hmm!

Whoops! :oops: There does of course have to be an exception to every rule :hug: :wave: and the innate style of all Wildies overrides any other consideration :kneel:
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 17th, 2019, 8:14 am

Good morning wild ones. Love the parking pic :lol: :lol: typical BMW driver, look what I've got, wish I could park it :lol: :lol: :lol: no offence to foodie BMW drivers. ;) Around here they are known as pimps cars if they come into town :shock: :lol:
Well it is Sunday, "boy wonder" next door still hasn't shown his face. He left for work Thursday morning after OH telling him about the garage roof and hasn't been back since. :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 17th, 2019, 8:29 am

And to think I got roundly criticised for my joke.
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 17th, 2019, 9:16 am

Morning all.

Brilliant sunshine here with no wind or rain or badly driven BMW's. Working now in motor insurance claims they do statistically come up a lot. Who knows why?

A day to be busy doing nothing me thinks. Have fun folks. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 17th, 2019, 10:18 am

At long last Spring has properly arrived in Cyprus, the sun is out, I am considering removing a layer of clothes . The country side has turned bright yellow with various flowering brooms, flowering giant fennel, mimosa and two interlopers, Bermuda buttercup and charlock. The coffee shops are busy including the new European style one in Erimi, similar to Costa Coffee that was full of young people, I am pleased that the youngsters have their own place, it beats hanging around at bus stops.

We may have lunch outside for the first time this year which is cause to break out the prosecco :cocktail:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2019, 10:24 am

Morning all! I'd be delighted to own a BMW if I could afford it. Sad they seem to have such an association in some parts. Some people park like that so that they have room to get in and out and less chance of getting their car whacked by someone else's door. I do not park like that but have some sympathy (you get a ticket in some car parks though).

Whatever happened to a day of rest zosh? :lol:.

Spring has arrived in time for your guests Moira!

The sun is peeping through, it rained cats & dogs well into the night. Watching Andrew Marr and will then go shopping, have lunch and continue with the study. I would like another room really ;).

Have a super Sunday :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 17th, 2019, 10:58 am

BMWs seem perfectly respectable these days! :)

They got a bad name from way back when BMW targeted the “moneyed youth” in the City if London with the 2002 Turbo as one of their first serious forays into the UK market. Overpriced and too fast for the younger inexperienced buyer. That was the model that had the word “Turbo” written in mirror writing on the front bumper...

But many makes get a bad reputation from time to time. Volvo went through a rough patch with marketing when they fell behind on safety design and could only make there cars more crash resistant by hanging the safety bits onto the outside of existing models, making them look like aggressive ram raiders. Everyone joked that, if you bought a Volvo, no one would let you out of a side turning.

Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear prolonged the myth, and these days it’s Audi that seem to produce the sort of car that attracts a number of the more “thrusting” drivers!!

I just try and leave my car looking normal, but it has 300hp!! :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2019, 11:07 am

Gruney wrote:

Hmm!

My Dad and I drove beemers for years

They used (late 80s) to do the higher powered 3 series BMW without any badge or trim to suggest it had the GT kit under the bonnet. Dad had his wolf in sheep’s clothing unobtrusive dark green BMW stolen overnight from inside the garage specifically to be used as the getaway car in a bank raid

It was recovered a week later, covered in very well known fingerprints :rolleyes:

Have a good Paddy’s day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 17th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Oh! Just realised. The blue convertible in my picture is a Saab 9-3, not a BMW...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 17th, 2019, 1:29 pm

miss mouse wrote:

That reminds of a friend's Mini Traveller decades ago, the friendship group called it her 'Half Timbered Car'. Antiques and country cottages were The Thing then so it was very 'on trend'.

There was a Barry Humphreys film in 1972 that used that line. It was actually a dreadful film!!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2019, 1:37 pm

I think the half-timbered phrase was quite widely used, always applied to a friend’s Morris Traveller

No idea how it got through MOT, half timber half isopon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 17th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Afternoone everyone :wave:

Absent this morning because we have had a lovely lazy sunny Sunday morning. A leisurely lunch of really seasonal ingredients in the garden and wine ...........

That photo may remind me of French parking except here it is far more crowded and if someone parks over 4 spaces they just abandon cars as near as they can so to speak! There really aren't too many BMWs here (its the war you know) but there are loads of really clapped out mercs which are the preferred transport of the North African population. Lord alone what the kilometerage is, probably been round the clock several times.
But there you go Aero blaming the Swedes!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 17th, 2019, 2:53 pm

We did not eat lunch outside, too windy. Most of the youngsters from the village seem to be out on their bikes.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I definitely did not eat lunch outside
I went for my walk in my sunglasses, got in and stood in the kitchen and hail and rain hit the roof

The wallflowers are out in the big park, they smelled gorgeous in the sunshine
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I caught the rain in Waitrose car park :evil:. Definitely not eating outside weather - but how lovely it sounds in sunnier climes and it gives us hope. The wallflowers sound lovely.

I have spent the afternoon turning out some cupboards and two files. One held receipts and instructions for almost everything I have bought in the past 20 years so a good cull was had. The other just needed a turnout and (thankfully) two lots of important papers I haven't thought of for years but will need in order to deal with some things next week, were just where they should have been 8-). I'm tired out. The rest can wait a bit longer. I still haven't found my grandmother's button box which I want to get out for GD, I don't know where it can be :? .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 17th, 2019, 5:47 pm

aero280 wrote:Oh! Just realised. The blue convertible in my picture is a Saab 9-3, not a BMW...

well, there you go - that's saab drivers for you! (snigger).

the sun has been shining all day. brilliant hasselback roast potatoes cooked by the sun included in a late lunch - after going to the farm and removing teapot from kiln, food shopping, getting stuff from screwfix and back just in time for the formula 1.
i'm rather pleased with the teapot.
must go and get the washing in before i forget about it.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2019, 6:33 pm

aero280 wrote:Oh! Just realised. The blue convertible in my picture is a Saab 9-3, not a BMW...

Whoops! :oops: My mistake ... should’ve gone to Specsavers :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Just been on phone with DD ... they’ve had paramedics out to SSIL who is in the throes of a severe (and agonising) Sickle Cell Crisis. He’s had an ECG and other stuff has been advised on pain relief and stuff ... he gets crises from time to time, but this is the worst he’s had in some years ... very scary ... his nephew died during a crisis not that long ago. Horrid condition :cry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » March 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Sounds nasty Suffs. Hope he recovers quickly.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Sickle cell is awful, I had a friend (lost touch when she moved) whose whole family had either the full blown disease or trait :hug: for him and family
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Thanks folks :hug: It’s horrid for them :(
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 17th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Suffs - :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Weather better today - it was AWFUL yesterday! :x Got all laundry dry.

We have an ENORMOUS (well 8 yds anyway), skip coming tomorrow. THAT should (hopefully) take care of the rest of the unwanted woodpile!
Involves a LOT of work tho :rolleyes:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 18th, 2019, 6:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Deb is not going to her usual Monday group so I shall venture into deepest Limassol to buy shoes. The Hotter shoe shop is just off St Andrews St, an area that is great for tourists but difficult for locals.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 18th, 2019, 6:20 am

Long and busy day yesterday, Eric the Polack arrived @ 8.40 and did a 9 hour day with Mr. Z in navvy mode, between them they got a lot done, we now have half the garden staked and wired and very smart it looks too. The bricks that were removed from the Stefarea walls can be re-used to create a ground barrier from the flower boarders under the stakes and wires and we have started to convert the Stefarea into a gazebo area with climbers at the corner pillars - 2 are already planted. Mr. Z's task is to remove the bricks so that it leaves the area clear to then put up the horizontals over the top of the gazebo.

I constructively spent my time in the kitchen creating meals for next week - nuther busy one coming up... Washing, ironing and filling the car with lightweight rubbish for the dump.

2nd attempt today to get the woodturning stove installed, Nuther kitchen planner visiting @ 11am, tiling being started in both bathrooms, need space in the drive for vehicles, so will move ours to the lovely neighbours to accommodate.

Builder is going on holiday for a week at the beginning of April and reckons we will nearly be done by then. I do hope so, this rate of life is very tiring and my head is fit to burst with detail...... :scared: :scared:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 7:01 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Thanks for your kind wishes for DD and her very lovely hubby ... I hope he’s had a better night ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 18th, 2019, 7:45 am

Good morning wild ones. :hug: :hug: :hug: suffs and family. It's raining for a change ;) "boy wonder" next door turned up last night at 10pm he left at 10 mins past with clothes, not enough time to sort the cat out who has been on its own for four days :rolleyes: I watched him drive away and turn in to the road where his estranged wife lives :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Lord knows what is going on, meantime the remaining garage roof felt is still flapping :twisted: :twisted:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2019, 7:59 am

Morning all!

Suffs - :hug: :hug: do hope things are going ok.

Looks as though most have a busy day ahead. Weather nice so far but I wish it would warm up a bit. Taking a break from the filing cabinet today and attending to everyday things. Friend coming for a cuppa this afternoon, I got some nice biscuits in but she says she has made some scones to bring which we can just have with a bit of butter and jam. I have everything but butter and jam so will have to pop to the shop. Her scones are always nice.

Gosh Icey, if only Mr Roof Felt knew how many curtain twitchers were following his movements :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2019, 9:22 am

Good morning

We seem to have “ordinary” weather, guide bright, bit of fluffy cloud, makes a nice change. Rain forecast later though, just when I want to get my exercise by walking to backgammon, it will be the first time since autumn I’ve walked in daylight

Zoster, what on earth is a Stefarea?

Have a good day everyone
Need to get on with the filing again, I shredded an entire recycling sack yesterday which was quite satisfying
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 18th, 2019, 9:36 am

Morning. Is it really Monday AGAIN?

I hope Suff's DD and SiL had a good night.

I am off to the caravan tomorrow, as I'm doing an afternoon's pork pie making course on Anglesey! I've never made hot water pastry, so it's going to be interesting! I shall stay overnight and come home on Weds am, leaving hub to look after 3 dogs. I shall take the oldest one with me for company, as I know she'll be fine left at the van for a few hours, especially if she has sole access to our bed!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 18th, 2019, 9:37 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Nearly over-slept this morning because we became so engrossed in last night's Baptiste episode. It was a matter of "I've started so I'll finish"

Suffs I hope things are better for your S-i-l. It is a horrible condition and must be very distressing for them and you too :hug: :hug:

First load of washing in and it can go outside to dry because, although it is not a glorious as it was over the weekend it is dry and there is some sun and a brisk but not violent breeze blowing.

There is an old house in the hameau where our Danish friends first lived when they came but it has been empty for many years. We heard it had been sold and this morning a whole load of men with white vans and ladders arrived to start work. Thy are going to convert it into 2 appartments. It has a stunning view to the village and the ochre cliffs but, as K&M discovered it faces due South and is incredibly hot in the summer being only one room deep over 4 storeys. lets hope they work hard on the insulation.

Hope everyone has a good week.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 18th, 2019, 9:55 am

Sue when I was in Poland when Dad was with us, he took me to a restaurant with an outside seating area (circular) where you could sit around a fire pit, I liked the idea and we constructed one at home for our 25th Wedd. Aniv. Unfortuanately the side brick walls (with seating) disintegrated so we have taken the walls out and a pergola will be constructed over the top, just keeping the 4 corner pillars.

In memory of Dad whose name was Stefan, we called this feature a Stefarea (Stef-area)

Pyro is now sitting on its plinth, part of the flue is in place and hole is presently being cut in ceiling.... Sooooo exciting, downside is I can't light it for a couple of days. :(
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 10:03 am

Thanks folks ... DD says they had a bit better night thankfully. She has to go to work but as luck would have it DS has been staying with them recently and doesn’t have to go in to work today so will be able to keep an eye on him, get drinks and supplies for him and generally keep an eye on him as he’s too unwell to be left alone ... :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2019, 10:13 am

:hug: Suffs. I wrongly thought he was in hospital. So glad he is as comfy as can be at home. :luv:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 18th, 2019, 10:42 am

Back from Limassol and some expensive parking, that area was the red light district when we first came to the island, there are still some rather dubious "cabarets" . However the area is being tidied up, some rather ramshackle houses are being restored. I hope that the area is not being gentrified but I do not think that the houses are big enough for that.
I got my shoes, similar to my blue ones but red, and some posh sandals.

There is sun forecast for the next five days

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 10:49 am

The paramedics said that they would've taken him into hospital had they seen him a couple of days earlier, but they felt that he was past the worst stage by yesterday afternoon ... next time he has to call them earlier ... but he's stubborn ... obviously the condition is in his family and he manages it pretty well ... he's usually able to spot a crisis early and by resting, keeping his fluids up and keeping at an even temperature usually it doesn't get too bad. He has an arrangement with his employers that he can take a day or two as paid leave when needed in order to manage it. He's not had a bad attack for probably around 10 years, but as his nephew died due to a bad one just last year, it's scary. Yesterday DD and DS were so concerned at the duration of the crisis they over-rode him and dialled 111 and they spoke to SSIL ... apparently his replies to their questions triggered a visit from the paramedics. It's a good system (when it works).
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 18th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Good Afternoon Wild Ones. The sun came out for a while, but now it is hammering down with rain :( I have had a clear out of OH's man draw this morning :shock: there are envelopes with specsavers reminders in them dated 2016 :shock: so you can imagine what else I found. A selection of empty envelopes, till receipts, delivery notes, endless bits of paper with one line written on them of no meaning to him now to name just a few :rolleyes: it has all gone in the bin. The draw is more or less empty now. :) He said he has been meaning to clear it out, :o my reply what, do you mean you have been thinking since 2016 :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 18th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Suffs, hope he continues to improve... :hug:

Morning Wildies :wave:

Mr S and I ran the local half marathon yesterday- hurrah!! :D HUGE thanks to all who sponsored me. :luv: I raised £610 for my chosen charity which I'm delighted with. Weather for the run was spot on- dry, sunny spells and a cool breeze. Celebrated with a few pints afterwards. Just catching up on myself today but have been to the gym for gentle work-out and swim. Have a good day all :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 18th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Congratulations, gum and swim the next day too :kneel:
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 18th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Hellooo :wave:

Suffs :hug: :hug: :hug: Scary times. I am glad things were brought back under control.

Brilliant sunshine here so far all day with quite a bit of wind flying around. Quite a number of fences down out the back of my flat and shed doors flapping following the weather this weekend. Did anyone else have tremendous hail stones yesterday afternoon? There was I minding my own business doing a crossword in the kitchen and all of a sudden it sounded like someone was throwing stones up at my window. In about two minutes the ground was covered as far as the eye could see in a sheet of white, then one minute later it had all melted. Weird.

Well, I am now on the strongest pain killers I have had to take for my back pain. It is a Codeine based tablet which means they have to be paired with laxatives. Joy. :evil: Success so far on both fronts. :lol: If the weather is suitably dry this evening I am going to test them out with a walk around the block as I really do have to start catching the bus again in the mornings and knock the taxis on the head. Fingers crossed!

Have a good afternoon all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop