Do you believe in signs?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Do you believe in signs?

Postby Gruney » March 4th, 2019, 10:42 am

My eldest collie, who is rapidly approaching 16, has dementia and a mouth ulcer which, ideally, requires surgery. It would be touch and go whether she would survive the anaesthetic. We've been trying antibiotics for a couple of months, with a small amount of success - that's if I can get them into her - and last Friday, I made an appointment with the vet, who has known her since a puppy, to see her this morning, as she's been very up and down. We have previously discussed the inevitable, but deferred it , on each occasion - she always puts on a good show for the vet, and in fairness, there are days when she does seem to be in good nick.

All weekend I've been in turmoil as to what to do for the best - there's always that worm of doubt. I put her into the car, switched on - absolutely nothing. Looks like the starter motor. A sign?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Do you believe in signs?

Postby Busybee » March 4th, 2019, 11:10 am

Oh Gruney, :hug:

I would say go with your gut instinct, it’s such a terrible situation to be in.

Sending you both lots of love regardless of the outcome.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 4th, 2019, 11:14 am

The Green Flag man has just been - car started perfectly with the spare key! Still dead with the usual. Yes - a sign!
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 4th, 2019, 11:26 am

:hug: :hug: Gruney :hug: :hug:
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » March 4th, 2019, 11:44 am

A heartbreaking decision. Been there. Done that. If you can give quality days go with it :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 4th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Gruney, I think you'll know when the moment has come. I'm with jrc- go with as many quality days as possible. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 4th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I always think ‘what would I want if it was me’.

You love her and you want the best for her ... don’t look for signs ... trust your heart ... and remember that we’re here and we care about you :hug:

Edited to say: When I said ‘don’t look for signs’ I meant ‘the car not starting’ sort of sign, not the sort of signs you will see in your dog’s attitude and behaviour of course. I realise that what I said was somewhat ambiguous.
Last edited by suffolk on March 4th, 2019, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm

It is the most painful decision to make. I personally think you will know when it is time and your dog will let you know. I can't pin point the sign, you just know. My cavalier king charles was a week off her 16th birthday. We both knew it was time, she wasn't eating. She died in my arms after the vet put her to sleep. Heartbreaking but peaceful. She was too tired to fight stage 6 heart failure any more
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 4th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Everything unfolds in its own time and those who are wise enjoy the signs which help them choose the right paths to take. Any path you choose will have been carefully considered and chosen with the deepest love. That's what matters. :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 4th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Gruney :hug: I have only had to make this decision once. From knowing it was coming until actually letting it happen I made my Sooty's last days as comfortable as possible then I truly believe we both decided when the moment was right together. He looked at me differently one day. So upsetting getting there though.

I wish you both peace at this time :hug:

And don't lose sight of just what a responsible owner you have been to your beloved pooch friend :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 4th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I just wish we humans could do the same thing.
:hug: :hug: To you and your beloved dog Gruney
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 4th, 2019, 8:06 pm

All three of the last animals we've lost have made their own decisions about their end. We were going to take Daisy (a cat, aged 16), to the vet for one of the few times she's ever been in her life, but she passed away herself within an hour of that decision being taken. it was as if she had decided that she didn't want some stranger to stick a needle in her, or to be surrounded by unfamiliar smells.

Been 13 years this Summer - I still miss her. One of the cleverest creatures I've ever met.
:cry:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 4th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I just wish we humans could do the same thing.
:hug: :hug: To you and your beloved dog Gruney

Absolutely xx
Catherine
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 4th, 2019, 10:16 pm

My dog was 16 & had cancer in her back legs, we knew one day we would have to make that dreadful decision.
She made it for us. one day she went into the garden to do her business & after stooping down she could not get back up again. I was watching her, she turned & looked at me as if to say please do the right thing. I will never forget that look.
She was always went mental in the car but that day she just lay there.
I will never forget that day, possibly the worse day of my life, it is upsetting me just typing it, but I know it was for the best & what she wanted.
Sometimes we have to be as brave as our pets
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Rainbow » March 4th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I just wish we humans could do the same thing.

I so agree with that, Rats.

Gruney - like a lot of others here, I've been there too when our cat, Zoe, was 19. It was so sad, but the best thing for her at that time, and a very peaceful way to go at the vet's place.
I think you'll know when the time has come and I'm sure you'll do you're best for her, as you always have done :hug: :hug:

Glad you felt you could come back here and share your problems with us :hug: :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 5th, 2019, 1:42 am

When it´s time, it´s time and decisions have to be made.
Draco, our Alsatian, was 13. He could barely drag himself up, because of spinal problems, but he did. He was going deaf and blind; but he managed. He was incontinent. Well, we put up with it. But then one day, as I was leaving the house and he dragged himself to his feet to say goodbye, I noticed a brownish-red puddle on the step. A closer look revealed hundreds of maggots around the tail and two huge holes.
I couldn´t take him to the vet; my wife did - feeding him chocolate all the way.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 5th, 2019, 11:17 am

Gruney, I am sitting here typing this with tears running down my face. I had to make a similar decision 13 years ago when my dog Megan had a stroke. I held her while the vet gave her the injection and I just hugged her. You know when the time has come and so does she. The hardest thing about loving a dog is having to let them go. Whenever it happens it will always be hard to bear. Hugs coming your way :hug: :hug: :hug:
Meganthemog
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop