4 year old birthday party - plastic-free

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

4 year old birthday party - plastic-free

Postby Meganthemog » March 12th, 2019, 2:50 pm

GS will be 4 in May - how time has flown! DD is planning his party on our local beach and is hoping to have absolutely no plastic carp.
It will be themed pirates and mermaids and we will have a treasure hunt, pass the parcel, sand castle building, hopefully paddling and of course rock pooling. Food will be minimal as the kids generally don't eat much at the party apart from cake and a drink so we will have an ice box with a selection of lollypops and icecreams - there are none available at the beach. Drinks will be in paper cups. Cake to take home will be in cardboard boxes. But here is the tricky bit - party bags. I have sourced some pirate themed boxes but it is what to put in them. So far we have marbles, coloured chalk, small pack of sweets, small colouring book, colouring pencils. Not all of these - this is just our thoughts so far - BUT have any of you clever lot got any other ideas? The treasure will be foil covered chocolate coins I think. Any ideas will be gratefully received :luv: :luv:
Meganthemog
Registered

Re: 4 year old birthday party - plastic-free

Postby Suelle » March 12th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Well done for aiming to be plastic free - but not easy to find small toys that fit the bill for party bags.

I don't know if it would be inexpensive enough, or even if it's possible to buy individual letters, but how about a wooden block letter for each child, with the initial letter of their name. They might be just at the age where that would appeal.

Each box would have to be labelled with the child's name in that case, of course!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » March 12th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Stickers? Packets of seeds for growing e.g sunflower, tomato etc.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Those flags you get to stick in sandcastles ... are they plastic ... and can you still get them and if so can you get Skull & Crossbones ones? Maybe on t’interweb?

Have a look at Hawkins Bazaar website https://www.hawkin.com/pocket-puzzles

last time I was in one of their shops they had quite a few things that weren’t plastic.

Playing cards.

Give them each a printout out of the instructions of how to make a paper boat .... or maybe you can find instructions for a paper hat?
https://www.easypeasyandfun.com/how-to- ... aper-boat/
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 12th, 2019, 7:22 pm

It's still really hard when it comes to small toys isn't it. Non plastic (wood etc) tends to be expensive. GD is a similar age, she likes small purses, hair slides and things (boys probably wouldn't!), books (there are all sorts of oddments in The Works.). The things on your list are good - pencils/erasers and things are not made from plastic. I would be wary of giving marbles to small children. The best thing I ever received in a party bag was a small (metal) torch. I was thrilled with it - but that was a long time ago!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 12th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Can I come? :bounce:

Seriously, how lovely!

Little jigsaw puzzles?

Can you look at Hobby Craft at little kits where the kiddies can go home and make things to keep for themselves? I haven't been in there for a while since I was shopping for a little girl's birthday present and they had things like woven bracelets (not plastic), cross stitch (not sure for boys).

Origami paper and designs to take home? I'd love that in a party bag!

I'll keep thinking while I dig my flip flops out. :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 12th, 2019, 7:42 pm

For L’s 4th birthday party recently I ordered ‘wildflower seeds for the butterflies and bees’ from waystosaythankyou.co.uk The packets were personalised and were £4 for 10 packs. You can also order via Amazon.

I ordered paper party bags from Amazon and included a bendy pencil, a note pad and a page of stickers for each child too.

Another idea I had and will probably do in the future is to buy a load of cheap t shirts (Primark?) and some fabric pens. Each child gets to design their own t shirt and takes it home with them. You’d need a table for that though.

The beach birthday party sounds wonderful!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 12th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Cute little wooden pencil sharpeners with a surprise here!

https://www.partypacks.co.uk/mobile/woo ... 93093.html

And then I found that there are loads of websites out there thinking along the same lines as you are. :tu:

Here is Little Cherry. I also glanced at Ethical Kidz but lost the link, sorry!

https://www.littlecherry.co.uk/Party-Ba ... er-1-Each/?
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 13th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Wow you lot are totally fabulous! :luv: :luv: I will be doing several of your suggestions - Tezza you are a star for finding these sites for me - loving the pencils with sea creature tops!
We have a local guy who impersonates Jack Sparrow - he goes by the name of Geordie Depp! I have asked him to quote - the kids probably won't be that interested but I have a suspicion that the mum's will be!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 13th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Great finds Tezza!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 13th, 2019, 5:33 pm

earthmaiden wrote:It's still really hard when it comes to small toys isn't it. Non plastic (wood etc) tends to be expensive. GD is a similar age, she likes small purses, hair slides and things (boys probably wouldn't!), books (there are all sorts of oddments in The Works.). The things on your list are good - pencils/erasers and things are not made from plastic. I would be wary of giving marbles to small children. The best thing I ever received in a party bag was a small (metal) torch. I was thrilled with it - but that was a long time ago!

I'm not too worried as the children are all over 36 months and some of the marbles I have in mind are really beautiful 'treasures'.
GS loves torches - he comes into bed with us at 7 every morning with a torch in one hand and Sooty glove puppet in the other - then he goes 'caving' :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 14th, 2019, 12:08 am

I am so pleased to hear that a plan is coming together. How exciting. :P
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby uschi » March 14th, 2019, 2:55 pm

How about the more exotic seashells? Good for pirates and mermaids!

Children love the oddest things. EM's mini-torches were a great hit with my nieces and nephews, as were mini padlocks and keys (three for one Euro from the one Euro shop). Snap hooks were popular, too, as were, watch it: ropes. It was fascinating to see what my nephews would do with a rope, a hook and the padlock.
uschi
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 14th, 2019, 5:20 pm

uschi wrote:How about the more exotic seashells? Good for pirates and mermaids!

Children love the oddest things. EM's mini-torches were a great hit with my nieces and nephews, as were mini padlocks and keys (three for one Euro from the one Euro shop). Snap hooks were popular, too, as were, watch it: ropes. It was fascinating to see what my nephews would do with a rope, a hook and the padlock.

OMG I have a feeling that Archie would have me bound and padlocked to the ceiling with that little lot :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, thank you all for your great suggestions - I will let you know how we get on.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby uschi » March 14th, 2019, 6:14 pm

If it's pirate themed they will need tattoos!!!! Tattoo stickers will make them look suitably cool!

As for party bags ... would cloth ones do? You can make some with drawstrings, piratey enough, I hope, and some glittery ones for the mermaids?
They should not take too long to make for someone who can sew.
uschi
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 15th, 2019, 9:49 am

Yes I am on the drawstring cloth bags - got the pirate and mermaid fabrics. Have also worked out how to make pirate hats out of black felt :D Tattoos are also on the list along with gold chocolate coins, pirate pencils and notebooks, mermaid pencils and notebooks and sea themed rubbers. This with a packet of sweeties and we should be sorted.
Now I have to plan the games. Treasure hunt obviously, musical statues, pass the parcel, walk the plank, grandmother's footsteps, sandcastle making and hopefully paddling in the sea!
The setting is a beautiful small bay called Rotherslade - it is perfect as the water is very shallow for a long way out and it is a sheltered bay. There are toilets and a small cafe.

RothersladeBay.jpg
RothersladeBay.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 15th, 2019, 9:55 am

Have you checked the tide table for the day?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 15th, 2019, 11:53 am

miss mouse wrote:Have you checked the tide table for the day?

:lol: Yes we are fine - fortunately we get the tide times for the year for the magazine so I can easily check :tu:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 15th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Phew, easily forgotten IME.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 16th, 2019, 10:21 am

How utterly lovely it all sounds! I would have adored that when I was little. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop