Film recommendations

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Film recommendations

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 14th, 2019, 8:13 pm

I couldn't find a film thread , so apologies if there's already one out there.

I watched "Green Book" on my way back from Vegas recently , which won Best Film at the Oscars and thought it was absolutely amazing. The chemistry between the two actors was incredible and while I was aware of the prejudice in the Deep South, the film served as a reminder of how awful it was.

I also watched the Favourite, in which Olivia Colman won Best Actress and thought it was awful. No substance at all and I didn't think Olivia Colman's performance had enough to it, to win an Oscar.

Any good recommendations or duds?
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Re: Film recommendations

Postby Busybee » March 14th, 2019, 8:32 pm

We watched Stan and Ollie last week, a lovely gentle film about their relationship and and that of their wives, full of pathos- quite sad but with some lovely funny bits. It follows their final UK tour. You will certainly enjoy it if you can remember watching any of their films on rainy Saturday afternoons.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 14th, 2019, 8:46 pm

I rather enjoyed 'All is true'
Catherine
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 14th, 2019, 9:19 pm

I really enjoyed Hidden Figures.
It always amazes me how people can be so cruel and so unreasonable to each other.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 14th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Busybee, we also enjoyed Stan and Ollie....best film we have seen recently.
Disliked The Favourite.
Quite liked Colette...lovely dresses and decor!
Thought Mary Queen of Scots was very strange....though the acting was excellent throughout.
Glad to get a recommendation for The Green Book, will try to see it next week.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 14th, 2019, 11:26 pm

I found Mary Queen of Scots quite dull. Both actresses were great but it all dragged on for too long. Shame because I was looking forward to it
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 15th, 2019, 1:56 am

I watched Open Water at the weekend. Quite a few years old now. I saw it when it first came out on DVD and remember being on the edge of my seat then. Same happened again, even though I knew the outcome. Psychologically gripping.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » March 15th, 2019, 1:57 am

'pride and prejudice and zombies'.
loved 'the favourite'.
hmmm - is there a theme here‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 15th, 2019, 7:13 am

WWordsworth wrote:I really enjoyed Hidden Figures.
It always amazes me how people can be so cruel and so unreasonable to each other.
i happened to be holidaying with a NASA physicist who was giving guest lectures. I asked him how true to life Hidden Figures was he said absolutely true. Sad isn’t it.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2019, 9:46 am

We have a large collection of DVDs because our nearest cinema is so far away and, anyway I find cinemas very annoying and far far too noisy, I menntioned elsewhere we watched Bohemian Rhapsody last week and this week we have The Greatest Showman to see. Mr R is not wildly keen.
Last year we adored The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society., Three Billboards and the 2 films about Alan Turin and Steven Hawkins.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 15th, 2019, 10:05 am

I’ve not seen The Greatest Showman, I think I may be in the minority in this household so will have to wait until it’s on TV.

We have a localish (14 mile round trip ) Art Deco cinema run by volunteers, it’s gets all the films but maybe a month/six weeks behind the multiplexes etc. £6 to get in 60p for an ice cream or sweets. It has an upstairs and acres of leg room, we love it. We tend to go on a Wednesday night (only one performance a day, closed on sundays), it’s amazing how busy it gets and how you recognise the regulars. No 40 minutes of adverts etc and not mind blowingly noisy. It’s about as cutting edge as our social scene gets out in the sticks!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 15th, 2019, 10:38 am

I haven't been to the cinema for over two years :o I am hoping to go to our new (small) local one, but it's so achingly trendy it's really hard to get tickets.

On the recent spate of female-orientated films, I was reading this yesterday:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/shortc ... lm-biopics

I caught up on a couple of older things on holiday this week - The Death of Stalin and The Shape of Water. Both very good, although the latter was surprisingly (unnecessarily?) violent in parts. The former was not surprisingly violent in parts! I have a huge back list of DVDs to watch... I don't watch much TV, but I have good intentions. Back in the day, my good intentions would have been to watch less TV!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2019, 10:47 am

We both enjoyed The Shape of Water Herbie but an expat friend we lent it to couldn't watch it all the way through she found it repulsive !
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 15th, 2019, 11:03 am

I hardly go to the cinema, and have DVDs I haven’t watched
Now I have my new specs I must try going more

I’m also thinking of going to see some of the live cine casts of National Theatre productions, cheaper, easier to get tickets, within walking distance of home... and for me very likely easier to see the detail
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm

I think it must be about five years since I last went to the cinema. At my last job we had a cinema club taking advantage of Orange Wednesdays (if anyone remembers those - two for one tickets via your mobile network) and whilst it was a great idea, we didn't have many members, most wanting to just get straight home after work.

I am not sure of my nearest cinema, probably Milton Keynes, but we do have the Grove Theatre that shows the odd film every now and again. I almost gave the Rob Brydon swimming film a go last year when it came out, but the one night it was showing clashed with something else! Anyway, I have loads of DVD's to keep me occupied, some old favourites and quite often new ones that I have picked up in charity shops two for £1! The latest two were 'Noah' (terrible) and 'Chocolat' (haven't managed to watch that all the way through without falling asleep yet).

I am pretty partial to revenge films. I found out recently so is my dad. So when we meet up every few weeks we do a swap. We have both recently enjoyed 'Vendetta' (Danny Dyer - awesome) and 'Dead Man's Shoes' (Paddy Constatine - shockingly brilliant) both British films that I could watch over and over, and have!

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I do love sinking my teeth into a good film! :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 15th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Last year we adored The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

I loved it and thought they did the book justice

Another possibility if only to indulge the inner child and rejoice in being 'practically perfect in every way' is Mary Poppins returns - It was wonderfully charming
Catherine
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 15th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Talking of family films, I loved the Christopher Robin film that was out last year, found it very charming and have a soft spot for both Paddington films
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 15th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:Talking of family films, I loved the Christopher Robin film that was out last year, found it very charming and have a soft spot for both Paddington films

Errr is this where I admit to crying watching all 4 of these family films?
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 15th, 2019, 5:07 pm

I've got a good few to catch up on. I miss not doing one or two long haul flights a year!

It may be just me but I tend not to have a weekend newspaper any more (time consuming) and tend only to read news online rather than the other bits of the papers. Thus I never seem to keep up with films, music, the arts in the way I always did. Does anyone else find this or have a foolproof way keep up? I hate looking for whats on at the local cinema online even though I get emails - it seems so longwinded. (For online I mean on my phone most of the time, sitting at my laptop is a luxury. Maybe I really should get a tablet).

There is a great chain of alternative cinemas in Sydney - I always look to see what they're showing as they will generally be films I want to watch. https://www.dendy.com.au/movies/ . Many never appear at my local cinemas or on Virgin TV sadly. I would consider Netflix if I thought they showed them but I can't find anything that tells me what I might find on Netflix without joining :evil:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 15th, 2019, 6:56 pm

You can sign up for a month's free trial with Netflix before subscribing. The films aren't amazing , but there's some good TV on there. Worth having a look
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 16th, 2019, 11:38 am

I want to go to see Fishermen's Friends - possibly tonight. I loved Shape of Water - I thought The Favourite was good but I'm not sure that I agree that it was Oscar material. We go to the cinema a couple of times a month - our cinemas only charge about a fiver for a ticket so it's a cheap night out.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 16th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I want to go to see Fishermen's Friends

I'm seeing that next week with a friend. The trailer looks really good
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I quite fancy Fisherman’s Friend, I saw Tuppence Middleton on stage a while back, she’s good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 17th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I do not recommend The Greatest Showman. Can't imagine why DS thought I would like it. A few feel good moments, terrible repetative songs and a very thin plot. No thanks
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I'm glad it's not just me. I started to watch it on a long haul flight last year and was quite looking forward to it but gave up.

I finally watched 'The Wife' the other night. Not bad.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » March 17th, 2019, 3:14 pm

It may not be very highbrow but I went to see Captain Marvel on Thursday and thoroughly enjoyed it.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 17th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I like the marvel films , sometimes films are just escapism and I’m a self confessed nerd who does like the marvel
Films :D . The Lord of the Ring trilogy ranks amongst my favourite ever films
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 17th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:The Lord of the Ring trilogy ranks amongst my favourite ever films

One of my favourite novels. Fell in love with the Hobbit aged 8 and couldn't wait to read Lord of the Rings
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 17th, 2019, 11:45 pm

I got about two thirds through 'Chef' this evening when bed called. What a lovely foodie film. How did I miss this one?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2883512/

The DVD title screamed out at me from the DVD shelf in a charity shop yesterday. For 50p I had to have it. So glad I did. Highly recommended as a feel good watch. The ten year old son of the head chef is the star of the show if you ask me. A kind of coming of age for him and a realisation from the chef that being stuck in a dead end job is no way to go.

The final third tomorrow night for me, after I have eaten. The sight of so much good food is too much on an empty tummy.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 18th, 2019, 9:50 am

Busybee wrote:We have a localish (14 mile round trip ) Art Deco cinema run by volunteers, it’s gets all the films but maybe a month/six weeks behind the multiplexes etc. £6 to get in 60p for an ice cream or sweets. It has an upstairs and acres of leg room, we love it. We tend to go on a Wednesday night (only one performance a day, closed on sundays), it’s amazing how busy it gets and how you recognise the regulars. No 40 minutes of adverts etc and not mind blowingly noisy. It’s about as cutting edge as our social scene gets out in the sticks!

We have a similar one in Rickmansworth … Watersmeet… it is also a theatre, so has an annual pantomime and other stuff... Like yours BB it is so comfortable, with a very reasonably priced coffee/tea/wine bar and home made cakes. £4 for members :bounce: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 19th, 2019, 10:00 am

We were talking about how many films about art and artists we have while trying to find a DVD to lend a friend. Has anyone seen Loving Vincent ?

I absolutely loved it especially as I hadn't realised how it was made. This gives a taste if you haven't seen it
http://lovingvincent.com/
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 23rd, 2019, 7:56 pm

Fisherman's Friends was fab.
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 24th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Catherine wrote:Fisherman's Friends was fab.

Mark Kermode enjoyed it too :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 12th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Watched one of my favourites the other day “The Kings Speech”. I absolutely love Colin Firth and thought his master of the stammer was great . A real emotional feel good film
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 12th, 2019, 6:31 pm

I absolutely loved Bohemian Rhapsody. Then I have alwasys been a huge Queen fan.
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop