Growing Garlic

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Growing Garlic

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 20th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Has anyone had any success with this ? I have tried a couple of times … plant the cloves and never see them again. I have one bulb of Solent Wight and 3 of Marco … the packaging on both says to plant Autumn or Spring and they are both softneck …..

Instructions say to plant only 1 inch deep, 4 inches apart and the picture seems to indicate you plant the whole bulb ... ???

Any tips greatfully received :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Growing Garlic

Postby Herbidacious » March 20th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I have dozens coming up at the moment :)

Last year's attempts at Elephant were a bit stunted, but I put them in very late. I seem to have one coming up in my herb patch this year that didn't come up last year. This year's are all (?mostly) in pots.

You certainly don't plant the whole bulb.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 20th, 2019, 4:42 pm

isle of Wight Garlic Farm (which is wear my bulbs/'seeds' came from) says of Solent Wight:

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/product ... -x-4-bulbs

There's a video (wish I had noticed this before.)

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/ve ... U30000023/

for Marco.

I think I may have planted mine a bit too close to one another.

I spent ages deliberating over when to plant out (cf Good Morning thread, and possible in the Kitchen garden section - but I wouldn't bother!) They actually all went in about a month ago, I think.

I did put them in the fridge for a few days first as have been told that helps if they have not overwintered outside.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 20th, 2019, 6:58 pm

The bulbs each went into their own (deep) pots …. however, I just might re-plant them, but will struggle to find the right place, unless I just use a wider pot and split the bulbs … what height/depth pot are you using Herbi ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2019, 10:11 am

The ordinary types mostly went in small troughs - window box type things. The elephant garlic each went in an 7 (?) inch pot... I thought I I knew what I was doing at the time, and knowing me I researched it. but now I am doubting myself. As you say, there is, i suppose always an option to pot on.

Ah yes... I have a little book on growing garlic from the I of W Garlic farm which I referred to.

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/growing/tips-and-advice

It sounds like what I did was ok.

Not all of my garlic is coming up. I one of the pots (most have the same variety in them) only 2 have come up out of 8-10. Need to check which one. I assidussly names most of my garlic (except for one lot which husband, who was reluctantly be helping at a late stage, mixed up :) ) but they are almost illegible. (I did use a Sharpie on I of W farm free garlic motif labels!!!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 21st, 2019, 10:59 am

thanks Herbi … I think I will replant them after splitting into cloves .. I now need to lay my hands on 6 inch pots …

I was a bit exasperated that the instruction say plant 3-4 cms deep, 6 inches apart - why not 1 inch deep/ 6 inches apart or 2-4 cms / 15 cms :? :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2019, 12:56 pm

That is a bit sloppy (instructions.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2019, 1:10 pm

a way to label your plants so that the writing doesn't disappear - open out an empty tomato paste tube, wash it (good old dishwasher), flatten it, work out how big you want your labels, 'write' the label with a nail or something that will indent the metal and then cut between the 'labels. (the cutting can be done before the indenting, too).
they are rather bendy but if you put a hole through them and tie them to a stick they work ok - it's how i labeled our fruit trees
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 22nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

Next time, maybe scullion. Could be a little job for OH :) Sharpies usually remain clear on those white plastic labels, but these were 'special' IofW Farm ones :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2019, 12:23 pm

My mother always cut yogurt pots into strips to make white plastic labels. Waterproof marker pen seemed to work. The metal is a great idea of course.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 24th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Our garlic has survived both the Winter AND being buried in wood.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2019, 11:39 am

The garlic that's not coming up is called Early something ;) I am guessing this should have been planted last year, and that's why it's not coming up. I might sow some annual herb seeds in the post - it may come up next year.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 26th, 2019, 2:16 pm

I've re-planted mine now, well I have split one of the 2 bulbs of Marco … the single bulb of Solent Wight was impossible to split without actually hacking through the cloves .. so that is now in the middle of a large square planted and cloves of Marco are round the edge … I won't hold my breath that anything will happen, but you never know ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 26th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I imagine the cloves will sprout, but they will be crowding each other so it may stunt the growth of bulbs. I am sure you will get something edible!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 9th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Re-visiting this thread to show you how my garlic that I planted a few weeks ago is doing:

As you can see, nothing at all in the round pot, or round the outside of the square planter where I put the single cloves. The only sign of growth is in the middle of the square planter where I just put in the whole bulb ….. :? :rolleyes: :cry:
Attachments
garlic.jpg
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 9th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Hmm :) I wonder what will happen to your whole bulb. Interesting experiment. I imagine you might get lots of slither-like cloves? Well we (or you) shall see!

My one lot of duds never came up. The rest aren't doing much tbh.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 21st, 2019, 10:22 am

I had a ferret around in the round pot for any remains of the cloves I planted …. nothing there at all, so that pot full of soil has been re-cycled for some dwarf green beans - I did pop back to the GC where I bought the bulbs, explained the problem and they have said to come back when the (Autumn) bulbs are back in stock for a replacement pack :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 21st, 2019, 11:44 am

That's good of them!

I think I may have an elephant garlic coming up in my herb patch from last year. But it's a bit leek like (definitely not a leek!) It's in bud. (Need to cut this off.) I need to sort out which ones are supposed to flower and which ones don't. The leaves of one lot are going brown without having flowered.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop