Techie computer help please ...

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Techie computer help please ...

Postby KC2 » March 30th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Hi
I hope a Wildie with a lot better knowledge of computers than me might be able to help me :? - I have Toshiba laptop and still run Windows 7 as I didn't want to move to Windows 10. The last couple of times I've started up it asks me what operating system I want to choose, giving me a worrying little "ding". It does give me the Windows 7 option which I select and then it boots normally.
Should I be fearful of something irreparable about to happen? I should probably find my separate hard drive and do some backing up, anyway, important things like recipes ...

I did look on Google and found some answers but am a bit nervous of following the instructions in case I seriously mess up ...

This is what I found:
Follow these steps:
Click Start.
Type msconfig in the search box or open Run.
Go to Boot.
Select which Windows version you'd like to boot into directly.
Press Set as Default.
You can delete the earlier version by selecting it and then clicking Delete.
Click Apply.
Click OK.

Thank you!
KC2
Registered

Re: Techie computer help please ...

Postby icelesley » March 30th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I don't think there is anything to worry about just select windows 7. Microsoft apparently are about to if not already have stopped supporting windows 7, its a ploy to make you buy the next level but it will continue working. My very very old Toshiba has windows 3 , I have to select that too but it still works, i just don't get updates anymore.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 30th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Thanks icey, that's comforting! Good to know I'm not the only person who has avoided Windows 10!
KC2
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 30th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Mine has Windows 8.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 19th, 2019, 10:50 am

icelesley wrote:I don't think there is anything to worry about just select windows 7. Microsoft apparently are about to if not already have stopped supporting windows 7, its a ploy to make you buy the next level but it will continue working. My very very old Toshiba has windows 3 , I have to select that too but it still works, i just don't get updates anymore.

Grasshopper wrote:Mine has Windows 8.
:bounce:
Grasshopper

I've just started getting messages from Microsoft that they'll cease supporting Windows 7 next January. I hope I can carry on using it as I don't want to change. I can't remember whether I carried on using any other operating systems like XP after the support ceased.

However, I have a specific concern; sometimes my laptop doesn't connect to the internet when I turn it on and Windows does diagnostics, often solving it - I imagine this sort of support will also cease?
Admittedly it also sometimes resolves itself. I'm not very tech-savvy :oops: so if anyone can offer any opinions, please do!
Cheers!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2019, 12:25 pm

whatever happens, it's really sensible to backup regularly, anyway. i lost an almost completed 5,000 word essay when my partner closed down my computer and i hadn't backed up for a long time. i just walked into the kitchen and cried.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 19th, 2019, 3:55 pm

scullion wrote:whatever happens, it's really sensible to backup regularly, anyway. i lost an almost completed 5,000 word essay when my partner closed down my computer and i hadn't backed up for a long time. i just walked into the kitchen and cried.

Oh no oh no .... is he still your partner ;) ?

I remember when I was finishing my PhD, I literally had just finished the final conclusions and I did something stupid and lost the final afternoon's work .... so had to try to rewrite all the carefully thought out text ....
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 9:59 am

I have a new question which will show my ignorance. I feel so out of touch with the way technology zooms ahead (does anyone know of an idiot proof way of keeping up with it once they stop working with the young?).

I keep seeing adverts or mention of apps for quite complex things, some of which I would like. However, as far as I know I can only get apps on my phone and these are the kind of things I would want a larger screen for - ideally my laptop. I would have thought others would too. Is there a way of doing this?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 26th, 2019, 10:29 am

EM, I've often wondered that too!
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 26th, 2019, 10:31 am

em, I have just googled 'how to get an app on your desktop' and it says you need iTunes …. I'm no techie, so I wouldn't know where to go from there. but I will ask my (business) partner's son when he comes into the shop later today …
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2019, 10:44 am

maybe that's the reason that 'phablets' were developed!

(if anyone knows the reason why my laptop is saying the word 'were' should be 'we're' in all the things i've written this morning, i would like to know it too!).
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 10:46 am

Ha ha - I never even thought of googling :lol: :oops:. I've got itunes, I will have a look online later. Thank you.

I have resisted buying a phablet so far. I really want a big screen for some things I want to do. You should know by now that auto correct likes to make you look foolish at every possible opportunity!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2019, 10:55 am

maybe i'll have a day/week of not correcting what my laptop thinks i want to say - just to make it look foolish!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 10:58 am

:lol: :lol: you might just want to check it is not totally obscene! I have seen a few I'm glad I caught.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 27th, 2019, 8:45 am

Em, ….. it seems that Windows has it's own App store called the Microsoft Store … (I need to pay more attention as I just typed Microwave ! :aww: :rolleyes: )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 27th, 2019, 9:33 am

Thanks Patsy, I looked at some instructions last night and decided I needed a degree to understand it - I'll have a look at that!
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop