'bed in a box' mattresses

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

'bed in a box' mattresses

Postby Herbidacious » May 7th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Does anyone have one of these?

My need for a new mattress is getting more urgent and I was contemplating buying an Emma Mattress (on special) but a bit wary of memory foam.
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: 'bed in a box' mattresses

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Why are you wary of memory foam ? My topper came in a vacuum packed roll … once opened it expanded and I have never regretted buying it. It has transformed my sleep.. although I think if you are sharing your bed (I live/sleep alone), then it can be a bit hot ….I find it very comfortable - in every sense :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm

No I don't share. (snoring :( )

Memory foam... I don't know. Can you move around it in it easily? I think someone told me when they got one about 15 (?) years ago that you are kind of molded into it and can't move as easily. I imagine they might have changed a bit since then.

Maybe I should go for it. Extra advantage would be getting it upstairs (although would still have to get old one downstairs.. very carefully. Have just had the hall painted.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 7th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Having never heard of a ' bed in a box' mattress or an 'emma'. I had to look it up. Some people say that memory foam can get very warm but as you say, that may have been 15 years ago! Anyway, I noticed that there seemed to be an interesting 'Which' guide and that you can join for £1 as long as you remember to cancel the subscription before more follow (unless you want them of course!). I think I would spend the £1 as they seem to have done quite a bit of research on them.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/06/ho ... -mattress/
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » May 7th, 2019, 2:08 pm

we have memory foam mattresses. they do feel warm when first used but we found that we got used to it after a while and now we don't notice it.
you don't sink that far into them!
ours is really comfortable, much more so than the one it replaced. they can vary a bit - the one in the 'spare' bedroom is firmer than that in our bedroom.

i've just looked at the bed in a box beds. the mechanism is very similar to the base in a sofa bed so i would suggest you get the thickest mattress that the frame will take. i find them a little uncomfortable (especially if someone else is sharing the bed - like someone bouncing on a trampoline when you are trying to stand still on it). my daughter bought a memory foam topper to go on top of the mattress that her sofa bed came with and that's much more comfortable.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 7th, 2019, 2:52 pm

I’d try one out first. DD tells me there are always several
of these virtually brand new on Gumtree/ Freecycle. She got one once ... only just out of the packaging so to speak ... so maybe the sellers just ‘can’t be bothered’ to collect ones that the customers aren’t happy with and ask for their money back ? DD says the one she got is ok for the spare bed but if she sleeps on it for more than
a couple of nights running she gets a backache ... and she weighs virtually nothing ... 8.5 or 9 stones.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Lokelani » May 7th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I think most of them have 100 night free trial or similar, which seems like a good idea, although may not be practical if you have no where to keep your other mattress in case you hate it. Some are hybrids with some springs as well as foam, but I think they are teeny tiny springs compared to a sprung one.

The only one I've tried is in a holiday cottage we stay in. Even though it says new cool technology or words to that effect we do find it very warm. I find it hard to toss & turn, I am quite a restless sleeper & do find it harder work to move about on than on our thick sprung mattress. We also find ourselves in the middle of the bed because otherwise you feel like you're sleeping on a slope as the edge of the mattress is much higher than the bit you'rre lying on, not so much roll together as much as just sinking down where the edge stays higher. I don't think it's old & past it, it just seems to be the nature of the thing, but I could be wrong.

When I asked in M&S their mattress lady said in all honesty they were still warmer, whilst looking at me & saying maybe not a good idea if you're approaching the warmer years!! :lol:
Lokelani
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 7th, 2019, 4:07 pm

There was a foam mattress in a cottage we stayed in a while back ... it was fine for sleeping on but really uncomfortable when sitting up propped on pillows to read. have breakfast in bed etc. as my btm sank down so low ... that may say something about my ‘centre of gravity’ :oops: or maybe it was a cheap mattress but it put me off getting one.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I spend quite a bit of time 'propped' up in bed watching tv and am really comfortable... however, mine is a topper; on top of a firm mattress - that being the reason I bought it - I used to wake up with lots of aching joints from the firm mattress, especially my hips.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby uschi » May 7th, 2019, 5:20 pm

I get on well with my memory foam topper. I have hot flushes just as I have on Axel's ordinary mattress, so that isn't a problem.
uschi
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 7th, 2019, 5:23 pm

When I stay at my brother's the bed has a memory foam topper.
It's really comfortable but I always wake up boiling half way through the night.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 7th, 2019, 6:10 pm

I've got an old memory foam mattress dating back to the days when the full depth of the mattress was memory foam.

I've never found it hot and you don't really sink into it - I think the 'memory' part is it going back to being flat when you get off it!

I really like it - it's wearing very well for it's age, but I'd definitely replace it with another memory foam when necessary.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » May 7th, 2019, 8:30 pm

suffolk wrote:There was a foam mattress in a cottage we stayed in a while back ... it was fine for sleeping on but really uncomfortable when sitting up propped on pillows to read. have breakfast in bed etc. as my btm sank down so low ... that may say something about my ‘centre of gravity’ :oops: or maybe it was a cheap mattress but it put me off getting one.

Huge difference between a foam (Dunlopillo etc) and a properly constructed memory foam mattress

I have a hybrid, which is basically a pocket sprung mattress with a built in foam topper. Love it, it’s about 11 years old so will need replacing soon

I don’t find moving a problem at all, but you move less because you aren’t feeling pressure on your joints, especially hips
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 7th, 2019, 8:58 pm

No idea what make it was (didn’t look for a label) just knew it was a foam mattress according to the cottage blurb ... I got the impression that it could well have been one of these ones that arrive compressed in a box. I’m sure there are better quality ones available. I would always go to John Lewis or similar and try a few.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 7th, 2019, 9:34 pm

I have a memory foam mattress, yes, it is warm but I just adjust the bedding and the room temps.... But it is exceedingly comfortable. Bought it slightly 2nd hand from Ebay and they even delivered it !!! Super kingsize, me and 2/3 cats most nights. He is in the spare room..... I apparently snore :o :o :o

On a side line, why would you go with what the bed manufacturers tell you is a time to replace a mattress? Surely it is when you feel the need ????
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 8th, 2019, 11:23 am

Hmm I am in two minds. And the huge discount ends today.

My current mattress is 20 years old, has broken springs (incurred during the last move in 2002), is lumpy, sunken in places from husband, and er I will be quite embarrassed to put it outside the house when it's time to get someone to take it away.

So I really do need a new mattress. I am waking up every morning with pain in my shoulder and hip, which may or may not be the mattress.

These 'bed in a box' mattresses do all come with trial periods, because you can't try them out in shops, but I bet they are a bugger to send back (you certainly wouldn't (easily) get them back in that box, I would have thought.) Although the box element is appealing because my current mattress was broken getting it up our dog-leg shaped stairs.

I did consider the cheaper option of getting just a topper, but even these are not that cheap, plus I'd have to buy new sheets. I really like my M&S perfectly fitted sheets...

I am not sure if heat would be an issue. I am mostly past the hot flushes thing. But I don't have the heating on at night, so I can't turn it down. Right now the thought of being hot is appealing. The office is freezing.

It's funny, Zosh, but I am in the smaller room because my husband snores...! :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 11:53 am

It sounds as though any new mattress would be a delight! Mine was a bit like that and when DS moved house he gave me a brand new IKEA double bed which had been his spare bed! I don't think that mattress is particularly good but I've had it for 5 years now and still love it. I think you should bite the bullet - did you read any reviews?

Edited to ask anyone - if you get a memory mattress topper, can you still use an electric under blanket?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 8th, 2019, 4:04 pm

I googled a lot. The bed in a box mattresses seem to be rated highly by various newspapers and Which? But then these people review sound systems without mentioning proper hi fi and wired (still better than wireless imo) speakers these days... ;) (My point being, if I have one, that they seem to have given up the ghost reviewing things that people are not likely to buy. But maybe this doesn't apply to sprung mattresses just yet.)

I might just wait a while longer. I don't want to be rushed into this, and there is also the issues of one needing to be at home for a delivery that they can't specify the time of. (They are vague about despatch dates, and then once into the delivery company's hands, out of theirs...)

I am sure there will be other offers. My shoulders do ache so, though...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » May 8th, 2019, 9:11 pm

I've slept in a memory foam bed a couple of times and have to admit I wasn't all that keen as it was too hot for me although I do have a pillow, which I really like. My current mattress is over 20 years old and still very comfortable so I have no intention of changing it, I think it's a Slumberland.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 9th, 2019, 9:05 am

My alternative was a Sealy one. Sealy seem to be quite hard to track down. Since I first started researching a couple of months ago, two bed shops that were within 5 miles, have shut down!
Also worried about getting it upstairs, but I suppose if the delivery men knacker it, they are responsible? If they knacker my freshly painted hall and landing, though, I will be upset, but I think it would be impossible to avoid brushing against the walls, even if I could persuade them to try. Maybe I should just get a topper and new sheets... but they are not cheap either, and if I didn't like it, there is no other king sized bed to stick it on..
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 9th, 2019, 9:07 am

I need a new bed too... :shock:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 9th, 2019, 10:24 am

https://www.dormeo.co.uk/mattresses/hyb ... &gclsrc=ds

Not sure if this link works, but during the night (when I can't sleep for various reasons), Dormeo is usually advertising on the commercial channels ... There are other makes and I did see one that says that returns are free as well as delivery ... however, can't remember who that is ... :aww: :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2019, 11:13 am

A topper on a broken mattress won’t improve things :(
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 9th, 2019, 11:17 am

Good Housekeeping recommend Sleepeezee Pocket Gel ……
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 9th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I need a new bed too... :shock:

Have you got a Dreams near you? They were fantastic when we replaced ours.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 9th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I’ll second/ third Dreams, great advice and service. They also disposed of our old mattress.

If the bed is broken a new mattress should make things slightly better but it won’t solve the whole problem. I’d bite the bullet and go for a whole new bed.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Amber » May 9th, 2019, 9:34 pm

We’ve been very impressed with the service from Dreams too.

(and they’ll often throw in a couple of ‘specials for you. Reduced pillows or headboard etc.)
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 9th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Will investigate. I had decided to go for the Sealy one recommended by Which? and other sources, if not a foam mattress. Dreams don't do that one, but I could be flexible.

I had just decided on a new wooden frame when Warren (sp?) Evans went bust.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I was shocked that Warren Evans went bust, that’s what I sleep on, and that’s why I didn’t specifically recommend it!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I was shocked that Warren Evans went bust, that’s what I sleep on, and that’s why I didn’t specifically recommend it!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 10th, 2019, 9:30 am

My current bed frame is a Warren Evans. They had a nice shaker frame that I had my eye on.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 10th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Gosh, we sleep on a Warren Evans too, when did they go bust? I think I must have missed it amidst all the other pretty awful retail news.
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm

I don’t know whether this still holds true but when I had a Blue Badge (confiscated when the rules changed) I was told that I could get a reduction on various orthopaedic mattresses.

Actually writing it down makes it seem daft but my source was credible.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop