Car Insurance

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Car Insurance

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 11:49 am

I drive a small car registered 2018 with 1.2 engine. I currently have no points on my licence. I am in my mid 60's. I feel that my car insurance is astronomical even after I have haggled and looked around each year. The main reason probably being that I do around 20,000 miles a year and I do include cover for replacement car etc as I need it for work.

I have just had stupid renewal figures from various companies and will have to go online to see if I can do better. I am due to retire in July and after that my annual mileage will only be local runs, the odd day out over a 50 - 100 mile radius and a few longer holiday/visiting trips within the UK. (I will probably change my vehicle but that's neither here nor there right now).

Has anyone any idea what a ballpark figure for mileage would be for that sort of usage? I believe that just local runs to the shops etc equals about 6000 a year. I can then calculate my remaining work usage and expected future mileage and reduce it for this year. Is there figure below which insurance is dramatically reduced? 12,000 or 10,000 maybe?

Has anyone any good recommendations for companies to look at?
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Car Insurance

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 12:13 pm

I think our use is around the 10,000 mark. This includes lots of very local journeys, quite a few longer, local journeys (of 30 - 50 miles round trip) and six or seven upcountry runs a year.
That is both of us using the same car - we don't always go places together!
We live rural so public transport is, often, not a viable option.
I think we are insured with LV at the moment ( I know it was swiftinsure a while back) - I will ask him indoors when the current occupation is resolved.
Last edited by scullion on May 8th, 2019, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 8th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Hi EM, I have used confused.com to find the best price for some years now and as it happens have gone with Hastings two years in a row. Before that it was Aviva, again, for two years in a row. My car is an ancient (well, a 2002 reg Citroen C5 automatic) banger, so I doubt our premiums would compare - also, I live in London and keep my car on the road.
But of the various comparison sites I have found confused.com is pretty user-friendly. I do very low mileage, less than 1000 - basically local runs and the odd trip to Hove to see family. As I recall there wasn't any difference in the price for 1000 or 2000 annual mileage.
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 8th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Hi EM.

Just done mine. Skoda Yeti diesel, 2 litres. Heftiest premium postcode in the country apparently. HA1. I do around 8000 per year. 9+ years No Clains. £570 per year with General Accident.I usually Compare Meerkats and change every year. They want another £450 if I add my 28 year old son as a named driver though. :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Thanks for all your input so far. I too park on the road - in an urban average crime area. I do not have a car alarm. I know that pushes the premium up a bit. I seem to remember that if you do personal leasing that the mileage allowance is usually around 10,000 miles so that is probably deemed average. I'm hoping that my bus pass will save a lot of local car mileage!
I shall spend some of this rainy afternoon delving further. I used Saga last year.
That's the sort of sum some want from me PP. They're not having it! :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 8th, 2019, 1:34 pm

It’s cheap for round here EM! I was with the RAC the previous time and they wanted £1550 on renewal. I too park on the road.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 2:16 pm

:o :o
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:It’s cheap for round here EM! I was with the RAC the previous time and they wanted £1550 on renewal. I too park on the road.

Ouch, PP, that's outrageous! How do they get away with it?

Or perhaps you have an incredibly luxurious/ expensive car ;)
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 8th, 2019, 2:50 pm

A Skoda???? :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » May 8th, 2019, 3:27 pm

I use LV, have been with them over 5 years, most competitive quote I can get, very pleased. just over 200.00 pa.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Always worth shopping round

Last time I did it, I found I got 2 very distinct groups of quotes - around £400 and around £750, we eventually decided that because my postcode is NE London, half of the companies were assessing the risk as dangerous east end, and half as nice safe suburban north London.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 8th, 2019, 3:44 pm

StokeySue wrote:Always worth shopping round

Last time I did it, I found I got 2 very distinct groups of quotes - around £400 and around £750, we eventually decided that because my postcode is NE London, half of the companies were assessing the risk as dangerous east end, and half as nice safe suburban north London.

:lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Thank you all - I went to Go Compare and am pleased with the result, about £150 less than I dared hope for - with a firm I've been with before who have been trying to woo me this year anyway! I even added a few frills! I think reducing the mileage makes quite a difference as well as everything else - I went for 13,000 miles this year. It's the lowest I've paid in some time.

Oh Chinch - how nice to live where you do!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » May 8th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I have to admit that being a 'country mouse' has advantages! I had no idea how much insurance was in towns/cities.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Janet » May 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Lots of good advice here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

Comparison sites don't include DirectLine and Aviva, so these need checking separately.

Janet
Janet
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 7:55 pm

I hate all this having to check and haggle business. That was one of the reasons I asked originally. I have only been to a comparison site once before - for the gas & electric bills. The questions were so hard I gave up and stayed with my supplier. Thus I was dreading the car insurance one but it was alright. I find it so hard to compare services that offer different things. One of the things I am not looking forward to about retirement is that I will have to check all the horrible sites because I won't be able to afford not to.

By the way, the excellent advice on the site recommended by Janet mentions tweaking your job title to reduce costs. I have done that several times and it really works! I hasten to add that it wasn't from stunt driver to vicar or anything like that, just small tweaks!( Never, ever say you are a press photographer unless you are a top notch one careering round the countryside like a lunatic to get scoops!)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 8th, 2019, 8:16 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I hate all this having to check and haggle business.

So do I.

I thought that the biggest concern for insurance Cos was the driver injuring someone and leaving them disabled and in need of expensive ongoing 24 hour care for years, a nicked and smashed up car is small fry for them or have times changed?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I think the thing is that the severe personal injury case is obviously far more expensive, but relatively rare and probably the best predictor is just driving experience, including previous convictions, so the cost is quite evenly spread apart from weighting to the really high risk individuals

Whereas probably everyone who parks on the street in Hackney will make some kind of theft / vandalism / accidental damage claim sooner or later, so we get charged a lot more than someone with a garage in so where like Cumbria who won’t get much damage unless unlucky
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Meant to add that mine is for Fully Comp. I’m told that the reason premiums are so high is that there are a huge number of uninsured drivers in London. The Which report also mentions this.

Can’t wait until I downsize and move further out.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on May 9th, 2019, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 8th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Re declaring one's occupation.
I recently renewed and it increased immensely when I said I was unemployed.
I changed it to household duties and it came back down :rolleyes:

I pay about £250 fully comp and I park on my drive.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 9th, 2019, 9:55 am

Insuring a car around here is an expensive luxury. Insurance companies still include our postcode as “London” even though we are in Hertfordshire. That’s because they used the Metropolitan Police area as “London”. They still do, even though the Met Police handed over the area to Herts several years ago.

One word of caution on retiring. Don’t try and reduce the premium by suggesting that you will be doing a lower annual mileage. I was doing 25,000 miles a year when working. When I retired I declared 12,500 miles as more realistic. But the premium only dropped about £10! When I found that I was actually doing a bit over 15,000 miles, I spoke to the insurers and they wanted to increase the premium by £100. :o It now seems that the annual mileage on my wife’s car has suddenly increased! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » May 9th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Interesting aero. Seems that one thing alone won't bring the price down drastically - I do seem to have paid less when I have reduced my mileage though. When I was travelling to the office near High Wycombe on 8 hour shifts I was doing 35,000 a year. The insurance definitely went down when mileage was reduced to 20,000!
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop