Archie

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Archie

Postby Pepper Pig » May 8th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Archie

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Crikey!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 8th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Good name. :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 8th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Like it :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » May 8th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Me too, so unstuffy, what a change. :tu:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Lovely family picture

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Awww... :tu: :tu: :tu: Love the name too :hi5: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I love it too but thinking Harrison might mean they are Archers fans or perhaps they just want to call him Harry.

That's a lovely family picture whoever you are.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » May 8th, 2019, 9:27 pm

I don’t like their choice of Archie - It’s very popular - fair enough! But seems a little too popular ( I don’t mean common!) for royal circles. It transpires that many people call their dogs Archie too!
Still I suppose it’s a nod to Scotland?!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Rainbow » May 8th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I love it too but thinking Harrison might mean they are Archers fans or perhaps they just want to call him Harry.

Harrison = Son of Harry
Better than Harry Junior :lol:

Lovely family picture - don't often see the Queen smiling!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 9th, 2019, 6:57 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: love the name
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 9th, 2019, 7:44 am

Archie Bunker?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2019, 8:01 am

I’m presuming that they are, like me, huge fans of https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuHSWZCwao :luv:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 9th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Nice name.

Harrison, of course, is more common as a surname. There was George Harrison, of course, and John Harrison, who solved the longditude problem. The Establishment tried every trick in the book to stop him getting the prize, until George III himself, who had an interest in science, stepped in.

And TTLAFSM that they didn't call the little fella Donald! :sprout:

:ugeek:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 9th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Harrison Ford?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 9th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Well, of course there's Harrison Ford, but Harrison isn't as common as a first name as it is as a surname.

Both parents looked pleased as Punch tho, as did Doria & HM.

:luv:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 9th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Harrison is quite a popular boys name these days I thought. The first one I knew is in his late teens now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 9th, 2019, 9:58 pm

My great nephew is called Harrison. It was a couple of years after he was born that my wife's genealogy research found that my great great great grandfather also had the christian name Harrison. He was a wholesaler in Wapping. I'm descended from the younger son who hopped over the sea wall and joined the navy. The following generations were all in the navy up to my grandfather.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2019, 8:03 am

There have been quite a few of these names one thinks of as surnames recently - not just Harrison but Jackson, Mackenzie, Hadley etc I know a girl called Mackenzie who is off to uni in September

I suppose that’s where a lot of non-biblical first names come from, Lesley / Leslie and Lindsey / Lindsay for example must have started as Scottish clan names
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 10th, 2019, 8:08 am

i bet there's at least one farmer's child with the forename 'fordson'.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 10th, 2019, 8:09 am

StokeySue wrote:There have been quite a few of these names one thinks of as surnames recently - not just Harrison but Jackson, Mackenzie, Hadley etc I know a girl called Mackenzie who is off to uni in September

I suppose that’s where a lot of non-biblical first names come from, Lesley / Leslie and Lindsey / Lindsay for example must have started as Scottish clan names

Anything with a '-son' ending, indicating that the bearer is someone's son .... which makes my name totally unsuitable for me :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2019, 8:14 am

I have come across girls called Jackson and thought :?

Your name is fine though, we had 3 in my year at school along with 3 Susans and 4 Patricias
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 10th, 2019, 8:35 am

Yes ... it seems to be pretty ‘gender fluid’ nowadays ... it was the cause of much confusion when I was five and we moved to Suffolk as there was a family with my name as a surname.

The sense of confusion was compounded by the fact that my parents bought the farm from a family whose surname differed from ours by one letter. :? :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 10th, 2019, 12:46 pm

suffolk wrote:
StokeySue wrote:There have been quite a few of these names one thinks of as surnames recently - not just Harrison but Jackson, Mackenzie, Hadley etc I know a girl called Mackenzie who is off to uni in September

Anything with a '-son' ending, indicating that the bearer is someone's son .... which makes my name totally unsuitable for me :lol:

And DD! My maiden name was another of the same sort. The Scandanavians have got it better organised as in Magnus Magnuson and or dottir for females
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 10th, 2019, 10:50 pm

I think it´s all rather delightful. As unpretentious as Zara Phillips. Great.
Just as an aside, triplets were born in Maracaibo, Venezuela yesterday. The parents called them Donaltrón José, Maicpens Ramón, and Firsleidy Melania....seriously!
( read the names phonetically and you´ll get it) :terrified:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 11th, 2019, 7:28 am

It has been suggested Archie is made up from Meghans real first name Rachel so plays on both parents names, Archie and Harrison. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 11th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Love reading all the comments about the suitability of Archie as a royal name - one person on twitter said it was vulgar :lol: :lol: Our little Archie will be 4 on Wednesday :luv: :luv: He's growing into a very lovely little boy - but I am biased!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 11th, 2019, 12:19 pm

It was explained this morning. Archie is an old pet name for George and Harrison is as suggested of course, the son of Harry
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 11th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I wouldn't say vulgar (of course :P - I am so pleased to hear your Archie is doing well!) but wonder if they are from a more traditional way of thinking where a full name (such as Archibald) was usually on the birth certificate.

My ex OH has been known by a shortened version of a fairly common name all his life, that was what his parents wanted to name him. They discovered just in time that the vicar at their church would not christen babies with clearly shortened versions of names. This was important to them so he got the full name but has never been called by it. He was born in the early 1950's. I think people from that time would - and do - find the fashion for shortened versions of traditional names being given as full names rather odd, the Church being one of the reasons. A friend of mine said that when naming their boys, they always stopped to think what it would sound like if he grew up to be a Sir, a Lord or someone with a learned position where a frivolous name might sound out of place. I think Archie sounds alright!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 11th, 2019, 9:41 pm

In the late 70s my friend named her daughter Kate. A lot of people asked if it shouldn’t be Katherine, but she always intended to use Kate, and didn’t want her to be known as Kathy. Seemed fair enough to me.

I also think that if they’d gone with Archibald it leaves him wide open to schoolboy jokes, and possibly worse from cartoonists and comedians, it’s a really awkward name for a modern child, even if the gorgeous Mr Cary Grant was really Archibald Leach from Bristol!

My biggest problem with it is that I’ve had Sugar Sugar as an ear worm all week
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 13th, 2019, 11:33 pm

suffolk wrote:... we moved to Suffolk as there was a family with my name as a surname.

Our Electrical Engineering lecturer had that surname. He was 6 ft 3in tall and about 16 stone. He walked into the lecture on the first day and announced in a deep voice, "My name is A....." :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Gruney » May 14th, 2019, 6:53 am

scullion wrote:i bet there's at least one farmer's child with the forename 'fordson'.

And when he fancies a girl - even if his looks didn't, his name would attract her. (That's an attempt at a joke)
Last edited by Gruney on May 14th, 2019, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 14th, 2019, 11:08 am

We had a geography teacher (he was a lovely man actually) who rejoiced in the name of 'Mr Lusty'. I always remember him in high excitement one morning, and announcing to the class that there was 'another little Lusty on the way' :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 14th, 2019, 11:34 am

:lol: :lol: Seatallen. The very plain, churchgoing school secretary at DD's school in the 1970's was Miss Lusty which we found amusing. We were surprised to learn later that she was 'living in sin' with a man from church. Rather shocking back then!

When I started school there was an older girl with the same first and surname as me (and they were not overly common names). My name tapes and shoe bag all bore my middle name as well so we didn't get things mixed up. Unfortunately I was only there for 18 months but the name tapes and shoe bag lasted throughout my school years and I was forever being teased about having my middle name on everything :evil:. Thankfully, my middle name isn't particularly odd!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2019, 12:04 pm

When using initials (and for work I had to initial things maybe 20 times a day) I've always used my middle initial, but this goes right back to school days, having to embroider my initials on my games sweat shirt (which we called a windcheater), my initials are a very common combo (two Sarahs came up the same) and putting my middle initial in makes for a nicely laid out monogram, plus when signing, I can do the 3 letter initials in one movement, but I have to lift the pen for the 2 letter combo, it's just a more flowing and distinctive signature.. Mum and BFF also use their 3 letter initials, as the name they routinely use is their middle name, and somehow it seems clearer to other people
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop