Birthday cake help needed

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Birthday cake help needed

Postby Meganthemog » May 14th, 2019, 1:09 pm

My sister offered to make GS's pirate themed birthday cake - but she seems to have forgotten! I don't want to cause an incident - board members with siblings will probably know what I mean - so DD has asked me to make one.
I have an idea to cut a round cake in half and place the two halves side by side to form a round bottomed boat. Build the ends up to the deck, cover in chocolate buttercream and place on a round cake covered in sea blue icing with wave effect. Add a Jolly Roger or two and Bob's your uncle!
I don't do a lot of baking but can do a perfectly acceptable Victoria sponge!
My question though is to how long do I bake a 4 egg mixture in an 8 inch cake tin - I don't have sandwich tins at the moment and don't want to buy them. I've tried Google but they always assume you are using sandwich tins where it is about 25 minutes at 160 fan.
My instinct tells me about 35 - 40 minutes.
Any expert bakers with any hints or tips please
Meganthemog
Registered

Re: Birthday cake help needed

Postby Ratatouille » May 14th, 2019, 1:21 pm

It would be easier to make a treasure chest with a lid and fill the top with chocolate coins. I did one for GS years ago and it went down very well.

Eg: https://snapguide.com/guides/make-a-pir ... hday-cake/
There are loads of other ideas on Google.

Good luck.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2019, 3:26 pm

if cake decorating isn't your usual thing, don't be ashamed to buy decorations, apart from the coins Rats mentions you can get all sorts of sugar paste thingumajigs - I've had the Fiddes Payne Christmas and Easter ones and they are good,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 14th, 2019, 3:38 pm

My Family Circle chart for all tin sizes says 50 minutes at 160C for a 3-egg mixture in an 8" round tin. A 4-egg batter would take a bit longer.

Bake until done! :D Start testing at 50 minutes - it should be safe to open the oven door at that point.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » May 15th, 2019, 8:45 am

I would be inclined to make a madeira cake they are easier to handle for decorating and most children really like them. Also don't forget the ease of roll-on icing.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 15th, 2019, 8:50 am

Thank you so much for all your information. DD bought 2 x 7" tins in Home Bargains for £1 so I can now do my usual Victoria Sandwich. I did think about a treasure chest but saw the pirate ship and thought I'd give it a go! I'm pretty crafty so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.
Sue I am off to our local cake decorating sugar craft shop later today and hope to pick up some little model figures - if not DD is on the hunt for a couple of Lego pirates!
I made 40 metres of bunting last night - skull and crossbones and black and red stripes - looks fab. This will be used to cordon off an area of the beach and decorate the gazebo. Party bags have been filled with little wooden toys for the boys and pretty hair clips for the girls plus marbles, puzzle books and pencils - not a scrap of plastic :bounce:
DD has made little flags for the sandcastles out of paper and lollipop sticks.
All we need now is a dry day and we're away!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2019, 8:58 am

Oooh that all sounds lovely Megan! Pics please, come the event... :D :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 15th, 2019, 9:30 am

Sounds fun Megan. Can we come too?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » May 15th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Fingers crossed you all have a great day.

I used to use Playmobil toys on an iced sponge cake. Using icing pens to draw backgrounds. Easy to do, and fun for the birthday child to play with afterwards.
Amber
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 16th, 2019, 9:33 am

Ratatouille wrote:Sounds fun Megan. Can we come too?

Absolutely - you will need the pirate map with X marks the spot to identify the Gower beach! The weather is set fair!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 10:50 am

Oooh I know the Gower ... on our way ... :bounce:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 16th, 2019, 11:04 am

Seatallan wrote:Pics please, come the event...

hmm, i think getting the parent's permission to put photos on the internet may preclude that one. a pic of the finished cake and bunting etc. may be nice, though.

good ice cream parlour in gower.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Hope it's all lovely! GD's childminder publishes pics of the children but never their faces, just back views, hands etc. The cake, bunting and beach would be lovely though!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 16th, 2019, 12:25 pm

scullion wrote:
Seatallan wrote:Pics please, come the event...

hmm, i think getting the parent's permission to put photos on the internet may preclude that one. a pic of the finished cake and bunting etc. may be nice, though.

good ice cream parlour in gower.

Please don't say you like Joe's Ice-cream :sprout: I find it very sweet and it leaves a greasy film on the roof of your mouth
Verdi's is ok and we now have Gower Ice Cream although not even the milk is from Gower!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » May 17th, 2019, 1:32 am

i've just google stalked it - it was verdi's.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 17th, 2019, 7:59 am

scullion wrote:hmm, i think getting the parent's permission to put photos on the internet may preclude that one. a pic of the finished cake and bunting etc. may be nice, though.

That's what I meant really Scully :)

I've never been to the Gower peninsula but would love to. I've always wanted to visit the Worm.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 17th, 2019, 9:00 am

Seatallan wrote:
scullion wrote:hmm, i think getting the parent's permission to put photos on the internet may preclude that one. a pic of the finished cake and bunting etc. may be nice, though.

That's what I meant really Scully :)

I've never been to the Gower peninsula but would love to. I've always wanted to visit the Worm.

You won't be disappointed. If you're pretty able bodied you can walk over the causeway right to the end of the Worm. There are some tricky bits but most of it is pretty straightforward. Avoid the spring/summer as you can't go right to the end as the birds will be nesting. We've done it many times and have seen seals and porpoises.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 17th, 2019, 10:58 am

There’s nowhere like the Gower :luv:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm

suffolk wrote:There’s nowhere like the Gower :luv:

Very true Suffs. There's a good reason it was the first AONB in the UK. I feel privileged to live here :luv:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 17th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Meganthemog wrote:You won't be disappointed. If you're pretty able bodied you can walk over the causeway right to the end of the Worm. There are some tricky bits but most of it is pretty straightforward.

Yes, that's what I'd very much like to do. I've wanted to see it ever since I read 'The Wheel of Fortune' by Susan Howatch when I was in my early teens. As it turns out, a close friend of ours has recently moved to an adjacent part of Wales so perhaps I shall get my wish. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 21st, 2019, 2:30 pm

Well the party was a success. The sun shone all afternoon, the children played in the rockpools, made sandcastles and ran around having fun. We only did one pass the parcel as getting them to sit down in a circle was like herding cats!
The chips and ice-cream went down a storm. In total we had about 60 people - it was meant to be from 1.00 until 3.00 but we didn't actually leave until gone 5.30. I was absolutely exhausted having spent 7 hours the day before trying to make the cake.
It all started so well - I got the base cooked and iced and then came the pirate ship. I managed to construct it all ok and it was looking fab. I turned around to do something and heard a sort of slump. Looked back and my ship had split into two. No amount of trying to get it to stay in one piece worked so I resorted to doing it as a 3D kind of thing.
Fortunately it tasted great and all went.
This pic is of it before his name and candles went on it's a bit blurry as by this time I was exhausted. Next year I will be ordering a cake.

cake.jpg
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 21st, 2019, 3:35 pm

It looks great! The one good thing about giving a birthday cake is that (usually) only you know what you really planned, so it looks much better to other people than it does to you! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » May 21st, 2019, 3:53 pm

I think it looks splendid Megan! :D :tu:

Very glad the day went so well.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 21st, 2019, 4:58 pm

I second what Seatallen said! The cake looks great - and the whole day sounds as though it was great too! Well done :cocktail: :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 21st, 2019, 9:48 pm

Meganthemog wrote:The chips and ice-cream went down a storm.

Goodness, that sounds an unusual eating experience...sorry just being mean, the thought of dipping chips into ice cream made me laugh.

It all looks and sounds fab, well done, great effort, I am sure that the kids loved it. You do realise that it will be the talk of the term and next year...oh dear.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 22nd, 2019, 10:19 am

DD has just told me that she has been voted in as the events planner for the school! She is a very organised woman - takes after her mum :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2019, 11:57 am

Cake looks great Meganthemog!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » May 24th, 2019, 9:47 am

What a labour of love, Megan!!! Well done on the cake and the party!!!! :tu: :tu: :tu:
The little one is lucky to have such generous and imaginative relatives.
uschi
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop