Jamie Oliver's restaurant chain is no more

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Jamie Oliver's restaurant chain is no more

Postby aero280 » May 21st, 2019, 3:33 pm

Looks like the end for the Jamie's group of restaurants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48352026
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Re: Jamie Oliver's restaurant chain is no more

Postby Seatallan » May 21st, 2019, 3:54 pm

A shame although I have to say our local Jamie's Italian (now closed) wasn't particularly good IMO. I expect it varied as I know others rated them.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 21st, 2019, 5:04 pm

They've been in trouble for a while, he was brave to plough so much extra money into it to attempt to keep going. Changing times, austerity and it sounds as though some branches were a bit lax. The one in Bath was alright. I'm not sure that British style Italian cuisine is as popular as it was either, younger generations seem to go for other things. It's still my favourite - but I'm about to draw my pension!

Carluccio's was my favourite, sad that so many of them have had to close.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 21st, 2019, 5:11 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I'm not sure that British style Italian cuisine is as popular as it was either

That's true enough. It seems a bit dated and 90s I think now.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 21st, 2019, 7:17 pm

I'm wondering if he's made so much money from encourabing people to cook his recipes - 15 minute, etc. etc. - and his numerous books; that people are doing precisely that - and not going to his restaurants. You can't always have it both ways.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 21st, 2019, 7:58 pm

I think statistically people eat out far more than they used to
But his places were more expensive than Ask! Prezzo etc and I’m not sure people thought the better choices worth the uplift

Never had bad food or bad service at Ask! So if just wanting food while out or casually meeting friends I’d go there, if wanting more of an experience I’d probably go somewhere not in a chain,so for me it was neither one thing nor t’other
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 22nd, 2019, 8:49 am

StokeySue wrote:Never had bad food or bad service at Ask! So if just wanting food while out or casually meeting friends I’d go there, if wanting more of an experience I’d probably go somewhere not in a chain,so for me it was neither one thing nor t’other

Snap! If we're doing Italian it would be Ask or Pizza Express for a casual/relatively low cost meal and a non-chain for a 'posh' meal out. I also think that high street Italian grub has gone out of fashion as EM says (Thai/Asian chains seem to do best currently- places like Pho, Wagamamas, etc- or the Peri Peri chicken chains).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2019, 9:06 am

That’s very much what they said on the BBC last night too, it’s the medium price places that are getting squeezed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 22nd, 2019, 9:29 am

i will not miss it - i've never been to one (nor a carluccio's). they hadn't made it down here (i believe - other than fifteen - which isn't quite the same). the closest is cardiff.
scullion
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 22nd, 2019, 10:16 am

I only ate in one once - we shared a platter of Italian meats and cheese that cost about £15 and was barely enough for one. JO has spent so much time teaching people to cook simple dishes like pasta so in some ways he's the victim of his own success. I don't think we need worry too much about him though, he's made his millions not like the poor staff who have been on minimum wages and now are out of work.
He actually blamed having to pay his staff the living wage as one of the reasons for his downfall.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 22nd, 2019, 10:54 pm

There's a Facebook post that's suggesting that Jamie "calls a bloke called Gordon Ramsey, who has a TV program where he can fix a problem restaurant in 24 hours"!! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » May 23rd, 2019, 8:06 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 9:06 am

Excellent aero :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 24th, 2019, 12:57 am

There are over 39,000 restaurants in London alone. Profit margins are small. Any restauranteur who wishes to be successful needs to be hands-on, and I seriously doubt that Jamie ever visited his own restaurants more than once a year; probably far less. He spread himself too thin, and that, for me, is the reason he went broke.
It´s a shame, I think, because his vision was, basically, a good one. He wanted to "revolutionise" eating out, he wanted simple, fresh, home-cooked food to be available to many. Unfortunately, I think he was incredibly naive.
He´s made a lot of money, he´s become famous, and I sincerely think he deserves his fame. He´s made us (well, some of us!) think differently about what we eat and how we eat, like it or not - and the kid ´s only 43.
However, running a successful restaurant ( just one) involves 18 hour days, hands-on management, administrative genius, implacable sourcing of ingredients, 24-hour training of personnel... I could go on.
Never mind; I´m sure he´ll go away, lick his wounds, and come back with something simpler, better and more manageable.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop