Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby Ratatouille » May 28th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Thought it might work when Mr R held the oil lamp !

Willow? Because it is a rather lovely name and goes with my love of blue and white china.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Well done Rats!!! :cocktail: :cocktail: :hi5:

And welcome to Willow :hug: Probably better than my choice which would’ve been Withburga :lol:

Now put your feet up ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 28th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Drat I missed it again :rolleyes: Well done Rats, Willow is a beautiful name :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: ooops sorry yours is :mug: you have just given birth :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby nursemimi » May 28th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Lovely name.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 28th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Welcome Willow :D
suffolk wrote:my choice which would’ve been Withburga
Suffs, that is no name to give a child :o
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 2:35 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Welcome Willow :D
suffolk wrote:my choice which would’ve been Withburga
Suffs, that is no name to give a child :o

She was a fine East Anglian woman :kneel: and it doesn’t do to cross her ;) ... just read about the events following her death :o

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wihtburh

An example to us all ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 28th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Willow is a lovely name (though I'm sure Withburga was a gal to be reckoned with :D ). Well done Rats! :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 28th, 2019, 5:20 pm

suffolk wrote:Probably better than my choice which would’ve been Withburga

there was me thinking it was walpurgis!
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » May 28th, 2019, 5:31 pm

we're off to the beach in half an hour for a walk - we've both been sitting on our bums all day.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 28th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Welcome Willow.

I had a cat called Willow - [Pussy] Willow because she was a big tabby with huge, soft, white paws

I have slain Jiminy Cricket. :hi5:

Recap
In the spare room / study / whatever there is a large bookcase just inside the door, pushed into the corner. Everyone - and at least 4 people have checked, including Alan whose powers of observation would rival that lot on Springwatch - has agreed that the chirp came from the ceiling above the bookcase. We have pulled it out and looked behind it - there wasn’t a speck of dust behind it just now, I cleaned it when Piotr, the electrician, pulled it out.

Unfortunately, Piotr must have removed the wedges from the front legs
So when I shut the door yesterday, the bookcase slid about 8cm forwards, preventing me from opening the door again until I pushed it back with a broom handle. I therefore emptied the shelves, and pulled it out of its corner. As I did so, something fell out of it
It was a fragment of the old carbon monoxide detector, still attached to the dead battery, and bleeping

Now if you are replacing the CO alarm, it makes sense to use the top of the shelves as a work bench, as the alarm is positioned just above the door, on the other side. So that’s what the gas engineer did. I of course assumed he’d taken the detritus with him.

Everything back in place, wonderful silence. Phew! Wedges also in place.

Really no idea where it was lurking, as Piotr, Alan, Dave, Brian, Hasan and I have all missed it it, but it’s quite flat and much the same colour as the shelves
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 28th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Hooray …. :tu: :bounce: :tu: :bounce: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 28th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Well that must be a relief all round!

I finally got my ironing done and we can't really work out how the power kept going off. it was strange though because when DD was born, shortly after midnight the generator in the health centre broke down. So there was me, Mr R, Anna the midwife and the doctor who was just along for the ride because he was a friend, The men were both holding oil lamps and Anna was catching while I was doing all the hard work. At one point Mr R said "It's bl^^^^ hot holding this. My reply was "******* SWAP then. Fortunately the whole event only lasted 4 hours and DD and I where back tucked up in bed soon afterwards.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm

So pleased you've found the culprit Sue! You'll miss him :lol: .

Like the choice of Willow.

That sounds rather atmospheric Rats ;).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 28th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Knew I'd miss the birth :( Been out most of the day.

Rats - we have willow crockery too.

Blue Peter had a cat called Willow - a Siamese, I think she was. Pretty creature.

BIG day tomorrow! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Gawd I'm old! :o :oops:

:lol:

Don't know if I'll get online tomorrow - might not have time - except for maybe a quick lurkette :?

Anywho - gotta hop off. We oldies need our sleep ;)

Nit nit :hug:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Grassy :cocktail: :cocktail:

For some reason WiFi is chuntering very slowly .,, if it doesn’t sort itself out by morning I’ll phone Virgin ... for now I’ll say Sweet dreams all, and snuggle down with my book ... Sweet dreams :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 28th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Sweet dreams to you, too, Suffs.
:hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 29th, 2019, 5:04 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Wifi seems ok this morning :D

Hope you’ve all had a restful night. Tennis later this morning, and then
A bit of potting on if the weather is still dry.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 29th, 2019, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Sue no wonder you could not find the cricket, is it now cheeping in the bin.
Warm here again.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 29th, 2019, 5:30 am

Morning all! :wave:. A pretty morning going through the countryside earlier.

Grassy - you are just a spring chicken! :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 29th, 2019, 5:46 am

Cats left me alone until 6.12 - a lie in !!!! They are now either out or chomping...

I'm off to town today as Mr. Z. will have the car tomorrow and Friday (working), I don't need a lot as I am trying to reduce fridge stuff as I will loose one pretty soon. One of my gasses lens keeps falling out and I'm lucky not to have lost it completely so will try and get that fixed.

Mr. Z. dug over one of my veg beds yesterday and tomorrow I aim to try and get the courgettes planted out as the weather is meant to be around 27 towards the end of the week.

Rats if it is any consolation, Mr. Z. does stuff like Mr. Rats !!!!! Hugely frustrating and annoying....

EM I bet you will miss (sometimes) wonderful early morning drives when the weather is just perfect and everything is fresh.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 29th, 2019, 6:39 am

Good morning wild ones. It's not raining yet :o I have a hair appointment at 9.30 I can guarantee it will be raining when I come out :twisted: :twisted: right time to head off for a shower :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 29th, 2019, 7:09 am

Good morning
Was lovely and sunny here but clouding now, rain later

Off to visit Fulham Palace, newly refurbished, the local weather has been coming from there this morning

Got to get used to sleeping without the chirping now! :lol: Didn’t actually sleep very well last night.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 29th, 2019, 7:09 am

Good morning
Was lovely and sunny here but clouding now, rain later

Off to visit Fulham Palace, newly refurbished, the local weather has been coming from there this morning

Got to get used to sleeping without the chirping now! :lol: Didn’t actually sleep very well last night.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 29th, 2019, 8:34 am

Back from various errands, I have bought a cooked chicken so Chicken Salad for supper. I could not park in my usual place outside the chicken shop in Erimi, so had to go around the back, I went through a recently pedestrianised area, all 50 metres of it. It was charming, the already existing trees have expanded to provide shade, the village coffee shop has colonised part of the area and I found an ice cream shop

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 29th, 2019, 8:55 am

Finding an ice cream shop is a definite plus Moira :tu:

When our regular Tuesday ice cream van visited last night we were so stuffed with Coronation chicken, jacket potato and salad that we just couldn’t manage an ice cream :shock: I know ... we should be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves :oops:
:lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 29th, 2019, 9:01 am

but according to himself there's always room for pudding as it goes into a separate compartment - are you two built differently to us‽
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 29th, 2019, 9:12 am

Must be :cry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 29th, 2019, 9:40 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm glad you got the chirping resolved Sue :hi5: :hi5:
There's complete contrast in the weather and it's cold, wet & grey here today. I'm pleased I made the most of the sunshine yesterday and got lots done in the veg patch. I'm tired today so happy to potter about indoors. :)
I'm going to make some mushroom soup for lunch as I have a punnet needing used up. As I also have some stale sourdough I'll thicken it with that instead of my usual potato.
If I can summon up the oomph I'll give the fridge a good check over, it seems to be full of "bits" after having the family home and I don't want food to go to waste. ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 29th, 2019, 9:46 am

Oooh I missed the chirping outcome! What a result Sue! :D :tu:

Actually, I thought of you the other morning. I'd not long got up when I heard chirping. I initially thought it was our resident robin, who sometimes sits on the front room windowsill but the chirping was even more prominent than usual. Anyway, a little while later I noticed a tiny feather on the kitchen floor and then a wee birdie pooh on the back room rug.... and remembered Ollie Boppet unusually greeting me from the front room when I got up (not his usual place at that time of day)..... Anyway, after a lengthy search, I found said birdie perching half way up the front room book case. He or she was a recently fledged robin and clearly calling for mum. Thankfully, dear little soul was uninjured and I was able to easily catch him (they're so daft at that age) and release him into the ivy in the back garden. Where later I noticed his mum arriving... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 29th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Another lovely, but windy, day. The sky was clear blue this morning except for Mont Ventoux which had a cap firmly on it's head.

It was hectic in town this morning. Everything will be closed tomorrow, the supermarket shelves were stacked and there were some very cross people. The essentials, like milk hadn't arrived and as usual, the management was hiding.
To cheer myself up I bought an lovely orchid plant. Once a year they sell them to support the Alzheimers Society. I have one from every year for the last 4 and they are all still thriving.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 29th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Back from the craft group at Pissouri. One of our long term members M, she was a member of the original lacemaking group, is leaving, returning to Wales because of her husbands continued ill health. I managed to catch Barbara, our leader to suggest that we hold a special lunch for M, I know that there is money in the kitty from our weekly subs. The only slight drawback is that we shall have to have lunch at the Artemis, Zola wife of the family who own the place, is one of our group, the food is OK but standard taverna fare.
Next on the list is the Friday Mah Jong group, M taught many of them how to play the game. I shall leave them to Deb.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 29th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Good afternoon
Been out, visited Fulham Palace, recently refurbished. We had a private tour, for which we had to pay, but the gardens, park, and a part of the house are free to visit, and there’s a decent cafe. Now chilling in front of the tennis, round to friends tonight.

Well done on the robin rescue Sea!

It was lovely when we walked round the gardens earlier, but heavy drizzle now. Should keep my little seedlings happy.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 30th, 2019, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, very hot here, I had to have the bedroom A/C turned on last night to get the room cool. Predicted temperatures are 30+C, we have a yellow weather warning and a red alert for wild fires. It is only the end of May :o

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 30th, 2019, 5:28 am

Good morning Moira and everyone :D :mug:
Apparently it’s warming up here too Moira ... not before time ... we actually put the heating on for a while yesterday evening ... and I have returned to wearing socks and vest, after discarding them a while back :shock:

Our garden is full of families of fledglings at the moment ... just now there were coaltits, bluetits, great tits and house sparrows all using the feeders. The other day a great tit smacked into our window ... it lay twitching on the terrace and we feared the worst but as we watched it recovered it’s equilibrium and then just sat there blinking and occasionally shaking its head for a while ... when we looked after about half an hour it had gone so hopefully there was no lasting damage Phew! :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 30th, 2019, 6:55 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is peeping through already. :bounce: it should be a warm weekend so I think the BBQ might get an airing for the first time this year if it is. ;) it was cold here too last night, I was tempted to put the heating on too.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 30th, 2019, 7:06 am

Anyone else irritated by the way it’s being reported today that ‘breakfast cereals’ are bad for us and will make us die early ... wot? Porridge!? :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 30th, 2019, 8:30 am

Morning all! :wave:. Was too busy at work and too tired when I got home to post much yesterday but have just read back and as ever, love the picture it paints of the Wildie world :luv:.

Fulham Palace sounds interesting, it's on of my 'on the never-ending list' places.

Yes zosh, I will miss the early work run on fine spring and summer mornings. I tell myself I shall sometimes go out at dawn on my own accord with a camera but probably won't :).

Didn't we already know that much processed cereal is marketed with nutrition at the bottom of the list and gimmicks at the top? :rolleyes:. I haven't heard the news piece yet but it does anger me when they latch on to something like that and sensationalise it even if there is a message to get out.

Hair appointment this morning and meeting tonight. No doubt the rest if the day will be shopping, cleaning and pottering. Better see if the snails have eaten my new plants too. I must set some beer traps as I plan to plant salad greens.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 30th, 2019, 9:03 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It is hotting up here too Moira but for 2 days the temperature has been kept down because of the Mistral. We are promised 29C today which is nice because it is a holiday and many of the neighbours are out catching up on outside jobs and, being French, chatting instead. I have no doubt bbqs will be illuminated later! Not by us -

I think the item about breakfast cereals completely missed the point. There are, we must all be aware, so many so called breakfasr cereals which are about as nutritious as the box they are in with the addition of masses of sugar. I think the other items mentioned were chicken nuggets and ice cream. :scared: :scared: How on earth can ice cream be swept under one umbrella. The difference between the completely organic and all natural stuff from an artisanal maker and the guresome stuff in lurid colours which has never been near cream or even anything dairy and is flavoured with something from a test tube. Here endeth this morning's rant.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 30th, 2019, 9:51 am

Good morning everyone,
It's another wet and grey day here so can't see me straying far. I've admin that needs catching up for the out of school club that will keep me out of mischief. :)
I think with all these food reports they go for the sweeping statements and like most things in life there is a wide range of things that get lumped under the headlines. However, I suspect most of the folk who eat lots the ultra processed foods are less likely to choose porridge or high end ice cream for lots of reasons. I'll continue to cook/eat as I currently do, as in mainly from scratch with the odd "trash" item thrown in - cornetto anyone? ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 30th, 2019, 10:03 am

Ice cream used to be a treat. Too much of the sugar and real cream sort wouldn't really be very good for you. The trouble is that cheap imitations mean that people can afford it - and eat too much of it (it is very true too that it is easy to eat large helpings of processed foods because you don't feel full so quickly.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 30th, 2019, 10:27 am

I caught a bit of this news item this morning …. I think crisps were on the list too :( :o :rolleyes: …. my indulgence is plain (low salt)Kettle chips … the only ones I like .. :oops: The only cereal I eat is oats and really only like expensive ice-cream (unless you are talking Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and Peanut Buttercup :lol: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 30th, 2019, 11:06 am

having missed it on the news, i've just read the article on the beeb website.
the thing that i was wondering was the definition of processed and ultra processed. when i cook food from scratch i process it, is that counted?
if five or more ingredients possibly means it's ultra processed then maybe most of my cooking is ultra processed.
the bircher type muesli that i make would come into that category although all of the ingredients by themselves are healthy (is honey?) or do they only mean things like ready meals or stuff processed in factories.
they have also lumped in fermented foods with the processed foods - i was under the impression that people who ate (some) fermented foods are among the longest/healthiest living people on the planet. ie. kimchi eaters.
maybe the bbc's report of the surveys needs a bit more in-depth explanation of the results - i doubt the research was at fault, well, i would hope not.

well the spanish research is here - which contains a list of the unprocessed/ processed foods :

Classification of foods in the SUN food frequency questionnaire according to degree of processing (NOVA)

Unprocessed or minimally processed foods
Fruit, vegetables, legumes, milk (whole, semiskimmed, and non-fat), eggs, meats, poultry, fish and seafood, fermented milk as yogurt, grains (white rice, pasta), natural juice, coffee, and water

Processed culinary ingredients
Salt, sugar, honey, vegetable oils (olive, sunflower, corn), chilli, butter, and lard

Processed foods
Condensed milk, cream milk, cheeses, cured traditional ham, bacon, canned and bottled fruit, breads (white and whole), beer, and wine

Ultra-processed foods
Petit suisse; custard; flan; pudding; ice cream; ham; processed meat (chorizo, salami, mortadella, sausage, hamburger, morcilla); pate; foie-gras; spicy sausage/meatballs; potato chips; breakfast cereals; pizza, including pre-prepared pies; margarine; cookies; chocolate cookies; muffins; doughnuts; croissant or other non-handmade pastries; cakes; churros; chocolates and candies; nougat; marzipan; carbonated drinks; artificially sugared beverages; fruit drinks; milkshakes; instant soups and creams; croquettes; mayonnaise; and alcoholic drinks produced by fermentation followed by distillation such as whisky, gin, and rum

i'm not sure i'd put coffee into the unprocessed or honey into processed (although i suppose the bees are doing the processing).
- and water? the people of camelford may have other opinions on that one!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 30th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Seems the kind of guidelines which have been going around for years in different guises. Eat plenty of the first group, the second in moderation and the third as a treat or not at all. You can certainly debate things like coffee but thank goodness it's where it is :lol:. I think condiments etc are traditionally used sparingly and if used in such a way are fine (including fats and sugar). Somewhere in the era when processed foods and supermarket shelves increased, everyone became too greedy.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 30th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Two things have caught my attention today.

The first was the story of Hattie the cat who was, apparently, stuck on a railway bridge for several days. They were evn going to stop the trains today to get her off. Guess what, she's a cat and truned up completely unaided last night. Little feline madam. The trouble was everyone tried too hard!!

However, second,Jules arrived at lunchtime with a present for Mr R. A snake - about an forearm's worth long. We didn't see if it was a venemous one or not. We suspected not. It disappeared under the sofa in the veranda. So we ate our lunch and then moved the sofa, having shut Jules in the house. It was a grass snake. I donned gloves and got it behind the neck and it was ejected down by the stream. Mr R then admitted he doesn't really like snakes - thanks a lot!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 30th, 2019, 10:11 pm

A cleaning day for me, the spice racks (I have 4 large ones) were cleaned within an inch of their lives. together with heaps of other kitchen stuff. The new Douglas fir porch happens tomorrow. Sooooo excited...... plus a plethora of other snagging... Mr. Z is working again - so out of the way.... Bless, he just loves talking to the trades but states he hates the public intrusion.....!

Sally Anne will be banished to the (large) lounge diner but I suspect will object.... she cannot be under trades feet....

Sleep well folks....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 30th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Sometimes I remember all the reasons why this is no longer a cat household :lol:. (love 'em really :luv: )
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 30th, 2019, 11:17 pm

The whole thing is a bit silly
I did see the BBC news item, I rate Prof Gunter Kuhnle who was their expert

There seem to be several issues, in no particular order
1, some of the reports are conflating two studies, one French and one Spanish (the countries don’t matter); one observational and one experimental (which does matter)
2, there is no agreed standard for processed and ultra processed food. Choose your own. 5 ingredients doesn’t work for me - could for example include a very simple homemade stew (meat, carrots, onions, salt, pepper, water). “Cooking from scratch” doesn’t work - are you allowed a spice mix? Filleted fish? Frozen filleted fish? Science always needs definitions. I noticed Prof Kuhnle mentioned my favourite, picking a tomato as an example of a process.
3. The more interesting observational study also found that the people eating more “ultra processed” food also smoked more and exercised less. So <shrugs>
4. It all seemed very, very, subjective. Porridge is processed (rolled oats) but Cheeerios are ultra processed ( multiple ingredients, multiple processes including glazing with sugar) which sort of seems fair enough. But subjectively many people would think of fish fingers as fine (fish, childhood memories) but chicken nuggets as junk (they’ve had a bad press) but obviously - similar levels of processing (in fact to compare like with like, Iceland Breaded Fish Fingers are slightly lower in calories and fat and higher in protein than Iceland Breaded Chicken Nuggets, but apart from fish vs. chicken the ingredients are very similar)

So, as usual, keep calm and carry on.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 31st, 2019, 5:03 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Deb grows cacti and succulents, some from seed. their pots are usually kept on the gravel bed, they get moved up to terrace table when they look as if they are going to flower. This morning I opened the back door to some pink flowers and a single yellow one, such beautiful clear colours.
Hot again, no breeze.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 31st, 2019, 6:26 am

Wheelie bin is down the slope, Mr. Z off the premises, I have shifted all my cookery books from their kitchen shelves, I really do need to shed some. Some have not even been opened since moving here over 12.5 years ago !!!

Onwards and upwards... Happy Friday everyone...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 31st, 2019, 6:32 am

What a lovely start to the day Moira!

Morning all! :wave:. Just trying to decide what to do today. I have a list to pick from of course. A trip out to do a field trip recce looks more tempting than chores. It would be to an area I have avoided for the past 20 years after spending many weekends there with a chap I was seeing at the time and who was more keen than me to meet up again. I was sorry to hear that he died last year but it means it's safe to visit round there again :oops:.

Hope everyone's alright and ready and raring to go this morning ...
earthmaiden
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop