Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2019, 6:43 am

Morning all! :wave:

liketocook wrote: A quiet retirement och you don't one of those

I know! I should be grateful there are phone calls and visitors ;).

Yet another lovely sunny day. It seems to be terribly humid at night and fresh in the mornings but no rain. Need a good house tidy up this morning then I'm off to lunch with a friend I don't see often these days at a new pub which everyone who's been seems to like.

Have a lovely time Suffs!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2019, 7:51 am

cyprusmoira wrote:I collect hairbrushes, I keep leaving the wretched things behind.

Me too … I always forget to pack one when I am going away :oops: I have now left one in each suitcase. :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 12th, 2019, 8:57 am

Oooh how lovely Suffs! Perfect wedding weather by the looks of the forecast for the weekend. Hope you have a splendid time. :luv:

EM, I can already see that (as per the rest of us 'Ladies What Lunch') you'll be even busier once 'retired' that you were previously.... :D

LTC, that sounds like a perfect day. Food sounds scrummy! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2019, 9:28 am

Oh dear should I be worried? Apparently our internet connection has been compromised and unless I press 1 now and talk to the technician they’ll disconnect us within the hour ... I don’t have time to talk to them :o we’re just about to leave :shock: we’ll have to risk it .................. :lol: :hi5:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2019, 9:31 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I was utterly exhausted last night. It started with the madness at the supermarket and ended with the planned bbq being much later than planned because the cylinder ran out and no-one could fix the new one correctly so the blessed flame kept going out. In the meanwhile two hungry teenagers ate every nibbble in the house. A 6ft 2 hungry teenager with ADHD having to wait for his merguez is not a pretty sight.

We are going out to the new local genuine Neapolitan pizzeria tonight. let's hope it comes up to scratch This is the biggest weekend of the summer here and the 14th is on a Sunday :scared: :scared: :scared:

Hope the weeding is wonderful Suffs - hope you've got a spare lace hanky. Long life and happiess to the newly weds. In Provence for the fist year of marriage they are called Novi and they are given very special attention.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby nursemimi » July 12th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Good morning hot here again but that's normal for us.
Off to the Dr.s today to determine what he wants to do about my knee
I have a 0.6 cm tear in the meniscus.
Happy life to the newly weds.
I am in the hairbrush camp I leave them all over.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 12th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Afternoon wild ones. I have had a busy morning. Dropped off repeat script request came back home and have vacuumed the house, polished and cleaned from top to bottom :D Dinner is prepared too. I have just had a shower and the washer is churning away. Now I can relax.

:wave: :wave: Hi Mimi hope you get the knee sorted.
Suffs i'ts a scam... I think you probably know that. ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby nursemimi » July 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Me too it has been bothering me awhile now.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 12th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Aren't local traders wonderful?

On the way home yesterday J's car displayed a tyre pressure warning light so he checked the tyre and it was low.
He went to work in my mini today ( he's over 6ft :lol: ) and I took his car down the road to the independent tyre place.

They diagnosed a dodgy valve, replaced it, charged me £7 and 20 minutes later I was back home.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 12th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I must be getting very old. I've heard of "hair" and "brush", but I dont' remember what either look like... :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby liketocook » July 12th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Good evening everyone,
I discovered my internet connection had died this morning, it's been a bit erractic recently but I put it down to upgrading work going on the area. However, this is now finished and the usual remote fixes didn't get it going. For once, I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the service as an engineer called this afternoon and I now have a nice new hub box. I was all set for a "what do you mean a fortnight!!" conversation but it seems when I had previous phone issues the engineer had noted that I was disabled and reliant on services so apparently I'm a priority customer. There are lots of rights & wrongs with this approach but tbh I'm not complaining life is enough of a battle without finding "wars".
However it did mean I was hanging about for most of the day and couldn't make the most of rather nice weather. My garden is needing a fair bit of tlc so that will be my weekend sorted, I may also have indulged in some more bedding plants as some of my early blooming ones are definitely heading past their best and I couldn't resist when I got a sale offer for garden ready large plugs which including delivery worked out at 25p per plant. These arrived late afternoon and are in good shape, they're having an overnight rest after being squished in a box and I'll start planting them out tomorrow. Apart from my Autumn pansies plugs which are already booked and paid for they will be my last plant spends for this year. Overall I'm £2 over the rather arbitary annual budget I set for plants, compost etc. which I'm happy to live with.

With all the internet shennagins food has taken a back seat today, lunch was oatcakes with brie & IKEA lingonberry jam, cucumber sticks and grapes. Dinner will be a freezer rake and no doubt will be beige and bunged in the oven with some nuked steamed veg to go with it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 13th, 2019, 6:01 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, our weather has been extraordinary. On Thursday we were in the 30 Cs, in the evening instead of seating outside on the terrace, we were inside with A/C turned on. Yesterday a cool breeze arrived, not only did we sit outside we did not need the A/C in the bedrooms to cool the place down.

How are people meant to watch cricket, tennis or F1 at the same time, not to mention netball?

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 13th, 2019, 6:52 am

Good morning wild ones. It was raining here yesterday most of the morning then the Sun came out and it was lovely. Today it's just grey, still deciding what it's going to do :rolleyes: the beasts and OH got soaked on their walk, Kai was not impressed. He is snuggled up on the sofa waiting to see if it rains, if it does he for one will not be going out this morning :lol: :lol: :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 13th, 2019, 7:08 am

Morning all! :wave:

More to the point, what are people supposed to watch if they don't want sport?

Good service re your internet ltc. Slightly envious of your rain, icey. It was so humid here from mid afternoon yesterday. I was feeling rather lethargic after a nice lunch out with friend. There was some kind of celebration at the pub down the road. My fan broke last year and I forgot to get another so I really do need the window open. They weren't quiet until nearly 2am. I'm sure it was all legal but very annoying. I find it odd that people complain about just about everything on the local FB page but never mention that pub.

Fine but less breeze here. The first round of washing is on the line, I hung it out whilst the coffee I took back to bed was brewing. Lots of financial sorting on the agenda today. Once it's been done I will feel better.

Have a lovely day. :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 13th, 2019, 8:09 am

earthmaiden wrote:They weren't quiet until nearly 2am.
I know what you mean, the people who own a house just up the road are here for the summer, it was v noisy last night and they were letting off fire crackers (illegal) I can see yia-yia mopping the terrace

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby dennispc » July 13th, 2019, 8:37 am

OH's reminded me that three years ago last week we were at Wimbledon. Centre court, front row, near the corner where they do the interviews. Saw Serena. She was so light on her feet, it was a joy to watch. The other thing I noticed was, if she did a bad shot and lost the point, her shoulders dropped, her head went down, looked like she was giving up. Seconds later it was if she was playing for her first points. Genius.

OH will be glued this afternoon.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 13th, 2019, 9:07 am

We could do with three TVs really :D

Current plan is to set tivo for the GP and watch it in the evening. Mr S will watch the cricket and check Wimbledon at intervals on his phone. I'm visiting a friend tomorrow afternoon so shall watch Wimbledon there (and then the GP with Mr S later).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 13th, 2019, 9:21 am

We are en route to Wimbledon. Unfortunately OH has cellulitis so can’t go, DS is a last minute substitution as I’d already paid for train, train and hotel accommodation.

I was about to give it all away when he piped up and said he would quite like to go. I didn’t think it was his thing really, I think the Wimbledon picnic probably swayed things.

Hope it stays fine. Just pulling into Kings Cross.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2019, 9:21 am

Good morning
Wimbledon here mainly
I think Serena might do it, but Halep is unpredictable so could be a good match. Then tomorrow Djokovic has to be favourite for strength and consistency but if Federer plays like he did yesterday... if I ate popcorn (yuk) I’d stock up

Cooler and cloudier here today

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2019, 9:28 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hot again here today and as it is THE big weekend of the summer marketing had to be done at the crack of dawn. DD went with Mr R as there was a lot of stuff to be collected from the butcher/traiteur, the baker and Pascal at the fruit and veg stall. The family really enjoyed their trip to the new pizzeria last evening. It was heaving with the beautiful people who had come down from big houses in the hills to slum it with their offspring! One lot even turned up in their chaufeur driven car. The new owners have completely transformed what was a lovely traditional auberge into a lively place which seats about three times the people. It was, shal we say lively ;) The trouble was I had hardly anything to eat as the only things on offer were pizzas and 2 pasta dishes other than what they call slates whci are really nibbles so I ended up with a burata, danieli ham, some marinated vegetables - but these were very few and far between undera heap of lettuce leaves with tomato , grated carrot and tinned sweetcorn. It was so warm the cheese was practically liquid. On the other hand the pizzas looked very good indeed, though obscenely big only gd was defeated and brought the rest of hers home for breakfast! The desserts were either ice cream or tiramisu but last night's incarnation was chocolate and coconut. It just wasn't my night. if as the gcs hope we go back I'll take my own food and just have one of their cocktails. Cocktails indeed something I have never seen before in this area.

Tonight is easy. melon followed by a rotiseerie chicken from the butcher with chips and , at the GCs request French tinned peas then cheese and a tarte Tropiziene.

Save a thought for us Moira we've got to fit in an interesting stage in Le Tour. I even misssed last night's semi by not having any supper!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 13th, 2019, 10:29 am

Good morning everyone,
Pubs etc. here with outside areas must close them off after 10pm, it does help contain noise.
Breezy & damp here this morning, it's supposed to perk up a bit later on.
I'm just back from a quick trip to the library so plenty of books now to keep me going for a bit. :D
Assuming it doesn't pour the garden beckons this afternoon as it's needing some tlc and re-planting done.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 13th, 2019, 10:40 am

Ratatouille wrote:ave a thought for us Moira we've got to fit in an interesting stage in Le Tour
What a dilemma :!:
I love the thought of going to your local pizzeria in your chauffeur driven car. There are stories here of chauffeur driven Range Rover Discoveries at Melanda Beach, probably Russian if they were range Rovers. It must have looked good with the local pick up trucks.

Melon & Feta salad for lunch again, it was a small melon but not small enough. I had to used dried mint, the heat finished off our mint.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 13th, 2019, 10:45 am

Good morning all :hug:

I don't think the weather knows what to do with itself today. It is very overcast but the sun keeps trying to come out it is very warm and close. I have resorted to putting a dress on.

Going out for lunch shortly with Mum. There is a lovely tea shop/cafe around the corner which we are going to. You can make bits of pottery in there. It is very popular during the holidays with children.

Not watched any tennis ye this year :oops: might put it on later.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2019, 10:18 pm

I watched the tennis
Not the best match ever, though Halep was amazing

Had two little slip soles for supper, and managed to perfectly trim and skin them myself so they were easy to eat without stray bones and bits. Bit of a triumph, as I haven't done that in a ling time, Served with new potatoes, steamed green beans and a simple courgette gratin. Have kept the trimmings for stock.

Good night
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 14th, 2019, 6:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I had difficulty getting here this morning, it might be the laptop
Strong smell of barbecues being lit here

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 14th, 2019, 6:35 am

Good morning wild ones. Overcast again this morning, I am not sure what the weather will do today :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 14th, 2019, 7:24 am

Just checked my Lotto ticket, not a single number matches :( I don't do it very often, I just had some change in my purse so thought I would have a flutter. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 14th, 2019, 7:30 am

Good morning
It’s raining; it has obviously been raining for a while. It’s quite cool so I can do a few things indoors,

Looking forward to Wimbledon, hope they don’t need to use the roof. The drop in temperature should help

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2019, 7:50 am

Good morning all from the comfort of our Hypnos bed in a Premier Inn near Arundel ... gorgeous wedding not even marred by DDs car breaking down ... fortunately it waited until they’d arrived at the venue before playing up ... wonderful AA man performed a temporary fix to get them home today, ably encouraged by the bridesmaids who kept him supplied with chilled water and canapés ... he said he enjoyed the wedding too :tu:

Heading back to Norfolk today so will tell you all about the wedding, the muddy pigs, the ecstatic donkeys and the very good catering later.

Have a lovely day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2019, 7:51 am

Morning all! :wave:. Really dull here but the forecast still says only a 2% chance of rain and only a drop in London around now, not later, so hopefully they won't need the roof.

Spent most of yesterday sorting out financial things, filling in a pension form which was quite complicated and trying to contact Virgin :evil:. The worst is done thankfully, just a few phone calls saved for Monday morning.

Need to get out for a walk today and to pick up some shopping whilst out, oh and maybe pick mulberries and gooseberries from the garden :chops:.

Edited to say that your weekend sounds good Suffs. I love Premier Inn beds - especially the pillows.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2019, 8:22 am

Just reading our local news. A man driving too fast crashed into a lamp post when police gave chase. He is to be 'invited' for a police interview at a later date. Do you think it will have an RSVP option?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » July 14th, 2019, 8:25 am

dress code - broad arrows and heavy bracelets?
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 14th, 2019, 8:46 am

suffolk wrote:the ecstatic donkeys
Can't wait to read about ecstatic donkeys

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 14th, 2019, 10:15 am

Me too!! :D

Glad it went well Suffs.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2019, 10:22 am

scullion wrote:dress code - broad arrows and heavy bracelets?

:lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 14th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Today I am at the Kimbolton Country Fayre. https://kimboltoncountryfayre.com/

Lots of cars but also craft and pie stalls. One stall that sells pastel de nata will be visited as soon as I have finished my coffee and my meat pie! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby WWordsworth » July 14th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I watched the tennis yesterday as well.

In the nicest possible way I am really pleased Serena Williams didn't win.
It's getting a bit tedious when it's so predictable, the men's as well.

I thought Simona was much more agile and made Serena look quite heavy.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 14th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Bon Fete everyone :wave: :wave:

No let up in the sunshine and Le Tour is ploughing ever upwards through the beautiful scenery of the Auvergne.

I have spent the morning making preparations for tonight's bbq party with a huge pavlova. The gas cylinder on the Weber has been fixed and the beef pave is marinating happily in the fridge.

Glad the wedding went so well Suffs. I too am looking forward to the details!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 14th, 2019, 3:46 pm

WWordsworth wrote:It's getting a bit tedious when it's so predictable, the men's as well.

Men’s not so predictable so far (early in 4th set)

But wondering why Mirka Federer has turned up dressed as one of the dolls from Coppelia :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 14th, 2019, 4:41 pm

StokeySue wrote:But wondering why Mirka Federer has turned up dressed as one of the dolls from Coppelia :lol:

:D Almost exactly what my friend and I said Sue! And loving the very slightly clashing lippy....
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 14th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Had a fabulous day at Wimbledon. I’d never been before so didn’t really know what to expect. We had tickets for court one, saw the girls final and them some absolutely wonderful men’s invitational matches.

We had a really tasty picnic which we picked up inside, and apart from the shock of London prices for Pimms a smashing but tiring day. Utter chaos on the trains home today necessitated going home via Hull be we got there in the end.

Just finished watching the men’s final.......what an epic match.

Early night tonight.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 14th, 2019, 6:49 pm

You should have seen the cricket BB. !!! Unbelievable!

Glad Wimbledon was good. It was £10 for a pint of Pimms at Lords last week. Was it more than that?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 14th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:You should have seen the cricket BB. !!! Unbelievable!

Not half!
Gruney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 14th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Mr. Z. watched the cricket all day....... I saw the last hour and it did have a good finish which could have gone either way.....

Meanwhile, I now have half a patio in the back garden. I also have a council house kerb that will be where the pavers end and the shingle starts.

I did paint the old gate in white hammerite as we don't have any black, it will need another coat tomorrow. i have also removed quite a lot of the weeping bush that really puffs up in summer, I had lost sight of the sphere water feature but now it appears again from the kitchen window.

Ding dinner tonight chicken curry, rice for him Ble for me and some onion bajis.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 14th, 2019, 7:11 pm

I didn't watch the cricket - but WHAT A RESULT!!!!!!!!

Did a lovely Sunday dinner today. Just boiled new pots, with chopped pork, (pek), HB eggs & salad. V nice for this time of year.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 14th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Busybee wrote:Had a fabulous day at Wimbledon. I’d never been before so didn’t really know what to expect. We had tickets for court one, saw the girls final and them some absolutely wonderful men’s invitational matches.

We had a really tasty picnic which we picked up inside, and apart from the shock of London prices for Pimms a smashing but tiring day. Utter chaos on the trains home today necessitated going home via Hull be we got there in the end.

Just finished watching the men’s final.......what an epic match.

Early night tonight.

BB

I would have waved if I had known you came home via Hull :wave:

Evening all :hug:

Hubby and I spent the day at the coast today. It was nice to actually spend time with him. He is working six days a week and doing a few late nights as well. Hopefully once his staffing situation has been sorted it won't be so bad.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 14th, 2019, 7:27 pm

I almost never watch sport; people chasing a ball really doesn't do it for me but I watched the last hour or so of the cricket. It got rather exciting. :tu:
J enjoys sport and has hoped to share it with me for decades but I'm strictly a one-off watcher.

Shame there is widespread spitting in cricket, I thought it was only footballers who did it.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 14th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
Glad Wimbledon was good. It was £10 for a pint of Pimms at Lords last week. Was it more than that?

Probably, £8.50 a glass that was mostly ice, so would work out more than £10 a pint. But still managed to force a couple down ;)

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 14th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Good evening everyone,
It has pretty much been a "perfect" summer day here, warm & sunny with a light breeze. I've spent most of it in the garden and had both breakfast & lunch outdoors. I got quite a bit done re-doing pots and also tamed the jungle that my greenhouse had become. My sis popped round early afternoon and we managed to find some shade and have a good natter. It's supposed to be lovely again tomorrow but any gardening will be later on as I have a dental apointment late morning which tends to knock my balance off. :scared:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 14th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Time for me to hop off now - M****y tomorrow! :o :lol:

Only one more week 'till I have a break, tho ;)

Nit nit peeps :hug:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop