Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby cyprusmoira » August 5th, 2019, 10:28 am

Rats, if you have any Mozzarella, how about Caprese Salad, especially with the different colour tomatoes.

Would you believe it, some one is asking on local social media about Christmas lunch :rolleyes: I know that people get organised early in the UK but this is Cyprus. However it seems that one of the popular destinations, the Hill View in Pissouri is closed this year. They are taking Christmas off

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby dennispc » August 5th, 2019, 10:32 am

Grasshopper wrote:And what does it say in the Good Book? 'Thou Shalt NOT Kill'.

And in the New Testament Paul wrote a lot about, 'all being one in Jesus Christ", though they forgot about men and woman being equal as well.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 5th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Caprese salad and Greek salad coming out of my ears at the moment Moira. Mr R came up with the idea of petites farcies - Provencal stuufed veg. They would look nice in different colours/I've just made a batch of yellow tomato Gazpacho - these ones have a distinctive taste of pineapple in there. I've tried freezing a small portion to see if it works.

Mr R has just told me I am going to have to have my birthday present a couple of days early but he won't tell me what it is, very mysterious.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 5th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Good afternoon,
I waved the kids off early after what was a lovely but rather chaotic few days. On Saturday my elder son accidently left his velux window open before they headed off to the post-wedding get together. Que several monsoon-like rain showers and one very saturated bed which was only discovered in the early hours of Sunday morning! Thank goodness for a spare mattress which got retrieved and rolled out in the dining room. Yesterday was going to plan, which was an informal family dinner of fajitas. My younger son was making refried beans and got overly enthusiastic with a stick blender resulting in a large splatter of said beans hitting him, the wall and most of the surrounding area. He jumped back straight into my sister who was carrying two glasses of wine which also went absolutely everywhere. Suffice to say dinner was rather later than we anticipated :lol: :lol:
I've returned the house more or less to normal and the washing machine is in overdrive, I'm for a couple of hours with my feet up and then as it's lovely and sunny I'm heading into the garden to make the most of it. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 5th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Mr R is such a poppet isn't he!

I have already seen mention of Christmas. There seems to be a need to book very early for work dos, family meals out, holidays etc if you want the best.

I am so thrilled, the laptop man can retrieve my files! I rang as I hadn't heard anything and it turned out he had written down my phone number incorrectly. It won't be cheap to do the things he suggests but cheaper than a new laptop and it all sounds worthwhile.

I want to hang out some washing but am expecting a call on the house phone. Just after I had posted my work pension application we were advised that pension services were to be handed to new administrators so my application is in limbo. I called the new people to check that my pension would be backdated when it eventually comes out of limbo and was relieved to hear that it will. The man's computer crashed when he tried to get my details up though so he said he'd call back ... doesn't really bode well but no doubt it will be sorted eventually - meanwhile, my washing could be on the line :evil:.

ltc - :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 5th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I just had a parcel
I put an order into the last gasp of Woolovers sale and then forgot
A lovely yellow jumper, in heavy cotton, that matches what I wanted it to go with
A linen top, in a colour they described as turquoise :? but it isn’t, it’s a vivid green that goes exactly with the green in a skirt I’d given up trying to match - the style goes too :bounce:
A navy bolero, which sadly has to go straight back, I was a bit dubious as it has a frilly edge, but that’s ok, it’s impossibly tight round where my biceps if I had any. Shame, I’ve been after one and it’s lovely fabric
But a good haul

Good news about the laptop earthmaiden
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 5th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I discovered Woolovers last year Sue. Have had some really good stuff and especially for OH. Have also had the odd dud but that’s online shopping for you. (Although I last wore a bolero about sixty year ago. Are they back in fashion)?

Glad your laptop is recoverable EM. Is a complete pain having to start all over again.

Wasted a morning waiting for an agency cleaner (mine has gone back to visit her mother in Romania for three weeks). When the cleaner failed to appear I checked the booking. Apparently I’d booked for next week not today! :? :aww: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 5th, 2019, 4:36 pm

I get all my jumpers from Woolovers.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 5th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I used Woolovers many years ago to buy proper guernseys for myself and OH. I thought he’d like one - he loved it. At that time they did a small range of other things that were nice and good value if they fitted, but seemed to be made in the Far East to Asian sizes
So when desperate for sweaters a few years back I had another look and they’d increased the range and sorted out the sizing
They also now do knitting wool which may be of interest, I have a discount code
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 5th, 2019, 5:21 pm

It was you who "tipped me the wink", Sue. Thanks indeed.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 5th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Chris loves their cardigans.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 5th, 2019, 6:04 pm

It possibly was me Gruney, I’m sure I’ve mentioned them before.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 5th, 2019, 6:44 pm

I am quite fond of Woolovers too. I am trying not to buy any more clothes this year. I have too many.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Yes, this has become an issue for me too Rats. I have enough clothes to see me out I think. Can I really justify buying more? As I usually have the dress sense of a bag lady I fear not.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 5th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I shot myself in the foot
I carefully went through all my outdoor jackets and coats, repaired cleaned and re-proofed where necessary
All are fine, all look ok, some are probably 30 years old
I never need another EXCEPT I’m sick of the sight of them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 5th, 2019, 7:35 pm

I've got masses of clothes - but never have anything to wear!

I once had a quite nice dress from M&S which I wore a lot and then put away. About 5 years later I discovered it in the wardrobe and thought I'd give it an airing, by then I was mixing with a slightly different crowd. I went into town and bumped into an acquaintance of my mother who we didn't like much and who I hadn't seen for ages. We both lied through our teeth and said how lovely it was to see each other, then she said, "I don't think I'd have recognised you but I recognised the dress". :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 5th, 2019, 8:23 pm

:lol: But I shouldn’t!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 5th, 2019, 9:10 pm

J likes Woolovers, won't buy jumpers anywhere else.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 5th, 2019, 10:15 pm

earthmaiden wrote:
Just after I had posted my work pension application we were advised that pension services were to be handed to new administrators so my application is in limbo. I called the new people to check that my pension would be backdated when it eventually comes out of limbo and was relieved to hear that it will.
ltc - :lol: :lol:

I got a "welcome letter" this morning. Apparently I can now manage my pension online.:o I have never felt the need to mess with it. I just take the money and spend it!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » August 6th, 2019, 4:53 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. The church bell is clanging for the second time this morning, it is not yet 8 00am here, I wonder why it is ringing?

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2019, 5:58 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Snug in bed under the eaves of a stone cottage in S Lincs, listening to the church clock chime the quarter hours ... I’m very lucky ... a trauma surgeon friend is desolate that his own health is so compromised by the work he’s done that he is no longer able to work for Medecines sans Frontieres in a frontline hospital in Syria ... a surgeon friend and colleague was killed when the hospital was intentionally bombed the other day. What can anyone say or do to ease his distress? The world’s gone mad ..........
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 6th, 2019, 7:17 am

Good morning wild ones. Yesterday I had one of THOSE days :rolleyes: I turned the watering system on in the greenhouse, I usually have a timer on it but it's broken. So I thought give it 10 minutes and I will go out and turn it off. BUT, I forgot :rolleyes: OH came in said there is a Chinook helicopter with sandbags hovering over the garden :o :o :o :o :o the water was pouring out of the greenhouse, it had been on for over half an hour :terrified: :terrified: I said that comment is in bad taste, why didn't you turn the water off :?: :?: with a sharp intake of breath he said I wouldn't dare :lol: :lol: :lol: the plants are happy. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2019, 7:26 am

aero280 wrote:I got a "welcome letter" this morning. Apparently I can now manage my pension online.:o I have never felt the need to mess with it. I just take the money and spend it!! :D

:lol: . It's getting it that's the problem! The online facility has been around for a while! I was quite impressed with the way my query was handled yesterday, there have been gross inefficiencies with the last lot. DD, who works in a totally different industry, tells me they swapped over too.

Sounds as though the bells are ringing everywhere this morning. All for happy reasons I dearly hope. The awful things caused by human greed and stupidity which are currently going on certainly beggar belief. I am just watching school goers talking about the exam results received today. I have a lot of hope for the future when I see so many bright and pleasant youngsters - hopefully they won't all be indoctrinated by dubious politics and beliefs or apathy as they go through life.

Anyway, the sun's out, rain not due until later and I'm going out on the razzle .. have a good day and see you later!

PS, have you got any water wings icey? :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 6th, 2019, 8:07 am

Icey, the person you need is Socrates, the handyman employed by the Village Council. When I passed him earlier he was investigating a leak at the side of the road.

I was on my way to investigate a new branch of a supermarket and IKEA. The supermarket has installed self service checkouts, I wonder if I am going to learn the Greek for an unexpected item in the bagging area.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 6th, 2019, 8:38 am

Morning everyone :wave:
It is obviously going to be another hot one. It was rather too warm for comfortable sleeping last night.

I think the fantasic people who work with MSF deserve every scrap of praise and support we can give.It has been our main charity. The realy good thing about being a regular supporter is that they don't keep pestering you which probably encourages people to give more. Not much comfort to your friend but then he clearly has given his all. There is absolutely no justification on earth for the evil deeds done in that country.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 9:53 am

Good morning
I’ve had a few friends & acquaintances who’ve worked for MSF, it affects them all in some way, though I think N, the only one I’m still in any contact with, is currently OK.

Struggling to wake up, fell asleep on the sofa, finally went to bed, woke up early, went back to sleep.
Better get on
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 6th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
We have a weather warning for thunderstorms again, however I did manage to run some errands without getting drenched. :D
My winter pansy plug plants have just arrived, hopefully it will dry up a bit and I can get them potted.
I think I'll be eating a lot of courgettes over the next few days as a some have got rather large. They were tiny when I last checked a couple of days ago! Thankfully I love them so it wont be a chore. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 6th, 2019, 12:45 pm

I seem to have got a job!

Nothing too taxing, 3 hours a day doing what I did for 12 years, in the head office of a firm of estate agents.
Start on Monday.

It's been 8 months so that will be a shock to the system :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 12:48 pm

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: WWirdsworth :hi5:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 6th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Thanks Sue.

I applied for a full time position some months ago.
Got the job then realised I really didn't want full time. The woman who interviewed me mentioned a part time position coming up this month so I put my name forward.

They had to advertise internally to satisfy equal ops, then I got a call this morning.

I have bought champagne.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » August 6th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Good for you WWordsworth! I take it it's just what you were looking for.

ETA: I posted before I read your reply to Sue, so an extra yyaay as it's just what you wanted.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 6th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Well done WW, glad that you will be doing something that you want.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 6th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Congratultions WW - youve got what you really wnted.

I've just had an ecstatic DD on the phone because she too has a new job and it is just what she wanted. She trained and qualified as a solicitor and practiced for several years until she had her children. She married an army officer and it became obvious that with so many moves she couldn't continue so when the children started school she retrained as a teacher and has taught now for more than 10 years. However she found the current situation in education unbearable.
Last year she met up with an old friend from Law school and they are now together. He has persuaded her to go back to law and she has just found a firm who is anxious to get her reinstated and to start work for them immediately.

So it looks like champagne all round tonight doesn't it?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 6th, 2019, 1:49 pm

:cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: did I hear champagne mentioned, don't mind if I do, well done WW :tu: :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 6th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Well done WW and Rats daughter.

Anyone know if there is a particular pollen around at the moment? I’m not usually all that sensitive but have been itching and sneezing all afternoon.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 3:08 pm

There’s a good chary of pollen seasons on page 12 of this booklet
https://www.allergyuk.org/assets/000/000/921/13013_-_Four_Seasons_Booklet_individual_pages_original.pdf?1493980384
It suggests, among other things lime (linden) trees which would have been my guess as I know a someone who reacts quite strongly.

I wonder about buddleia as I’m sure they make me sneeze sometimes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Looks as if it's champagne all round! Glad you stuck it out and got what you wanted WW. :cocktail: :cocktail:

Good luck with the pansies ltc. When I first moved into this house there were some mauve violas in the garden which seemed to increase each year however hard I tried to get rid of them. I have never dared plant pansies or violas since even though they are a lovely winter thing.

PP, there's a pollen usually around at the end of May that gets me and than all is well until the following year. However, during the past week I have noticed there's something having the same effect - it particularly makes my eyes sting and weep :evil:.

I have had a lovely day as an OAP. There's an independent cinema in Bath and I went to see the morning showing of 'Marianne and Leonard: Words of Love' because it is unlikely to be shown here. It's about the lifelong thing between Leonard Cohen and Marianne Ilhen using live footage. I was able to use my bus pass for the Park & Ride which includes the parking fee. Then I got a senior card at the cinema and found myself sitting in an extremely comfortable seat with a free cup of good coffee and a digestive biscuit listening to the nice music which was being played prior to the film showing. One of those simple moments of pleasure in life ... :lol:. I enjoyed the film. Of course, everyone in the audience was over 65 which really brought home how those times are history to so many now :(. At the end there is a filmed interview with the Director, Nick Broomfield. He was saying that one of the unexpected outcomes of the film was that a lot of people find themselves dissecting their own past and present relationships after seeing the film. I could see how that might be but when queueing for the Ladies afterwards overheard two separate conversations between women where the film had obviously done just that! Had a nice mooch round afterwards and now must prepare for a women's group meeting tonight. I do miss my laptop. I shall have to make notes in longhand!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 3:52 pm

There’s a good chary of pollen seasons on page 12 of this booklet
https://www.allergyuk.org/assets/000/000/921/13013_-_Four_Seasons_Booklet_individual_pages_original.pdf?1493980384
It suggests, among other things lime (linden) trees which would have been my guess as I know a someone who reacts quite strongly.

I wonder about buddleia as I’m sure they make me sneeze sometimes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Also meant to say well done to Rats daughter for her new job too! And what sounds like fresh start

Question
I intend to get smart meters, but will need new meter cupboards outside in the yard (the gas one must have been one of the first, it’s not had a door in the 20 years I’ve known it. So it’s chicken and egg, do I get the new cupboards first, or after installation or can I get it done all in one?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 6th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Good evening everyone
:congrats: :congrats: to WW and Rats DD
Yes EM I do get quite a few self seeded but as I'm all in pots it's manageable. I do love the strange places they appear in.
The forecast was correct and we've had thunder & lightening and torrential rain. There were enough gaps though to let me retrieve compost and harvest courgettes as well as two cucumbers. Four of the courgettes are a wee bit bigger than I would have like and one at the size I'd normally pick. I'm roasting the smaller one with a chicken thigh and other veg for dinner tonight. My flower garden is definitely showing signs of Autumn as well as damage from all the rain. My next job for a dry day is to start putting bits of it to bed for the winter :( .
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm

I've just had my birthday present - 2 days early. 4 gorgeous Welsommer hens and 2 Pekins which I have called Hetty and Hatty. They are adorable .
Mr R went all the way over to Monteux near Avignon to get them and they are in the cellar at the moment in their baskets . In about 2 hours time we have to sneak out and shove then in the hen house while the 2 old hens are roosting. We are just wondering how Harriet and Hope will receive them! The Wellsommers are big though even as pullets. Helene , Hermione, Hepsibah and Hannah/. What a lovely man he is :luv: :luv:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 6th, 2019, 6:49 pm

:) I hope that the hen party doesn't keep you awake all night!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Nice present Rats!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 6th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Still no sign of Zosh. Will she ever come back? It's not nice to lose someone.
:(
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Rats :D I used to keep Welsummers ... I had about a dozen of them (morning and and the same each of Marans and Barnvelders) and for about three years I ran a Welsummer cockerel with them. They are lovely hens, very steady temperament, beautiful dark brown speckled eggs ... and the handsomest storybook type cockerel you ever did see
https://www.backyardchickens.com/review ... mer.10858/.

What a lovely present... enjoy :D
Last edited by suffolk on August 7th, 2019, 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 7th, 2019, 5:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, there is obviously a lot of excitement in the Ratatouille household, with your daughter returning to law practise and new hens, all in August too !

EM; glad to read that you are taking up tour pensioner benefits :D

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2019, 6:23 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

The painting of the garden room walls is nearly complete ... OH is already out there finishing the second coat as he was rained off yesterday afternoon ... but we may be staying a bit longer than planned as we have uncovered a plumbing problem ... suffice to say OH was in the en-suite having a shower and I was downstairs in the sitting room knitting ... and I got wet too!!! :scared:

We think we’ve identified the problem (flipping macerater/pump thingummy somehow blew its pipe work apart :shock: ) and OH carried out a repair but MIL will phone her nice plumber as soon as is decent this morning and if he can pop in today to have a look we’ll stay here until he’s visited to explain what we think happened and what OH did.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 7th, 2019, 6:53 am

Good morning wild ones. Wednesday already :rolleyes: where are the days going, at this rate it will be Christmas on the horizon :scared: :scared: when I went shopping last week, the supermarket had back to school goods out, :terrified: they have only just finished school for summer.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2019, 7:18 am

Ice we went past a pub/restaurant the other day with a notice up
telling folk to book their Ch******as Do NOW!!! :xtree:
Last edited by suffolk on August 7th, 2019, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2019, 7:55 am

Good luck with the plumbing Suffolk
I’m trying to decide whether I can walk to Holloway or if it’s a bit too far, I overdid my physio exercises and really upset my muscles so I’m having to work up to full activity yet again.
It’s a nice day so far, so I need to do something outside with the morning before the showers settle in
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop