Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby earthmaiden » August 7th, 2019, 8:04 am

Morning all! :wave:.
I hope that your new and old families have all got on together this morning Rats! What an original present!

Sue, my experience with Smart meters ( :evil: ) is that they will want someone to come out and survey anyway, regardless of what you tell them and if it is not a simple swap they can do there and then (ie if you need a cupboard or something) they will fill in reams of online paperwork while you make them a cuppa and then go away leaving you hoping that everything will marry up at some point (because despite 21st century technology, each contractor involved will have a separate agenda :rolleyes: ).

Oh dear Suffs, messy plumbing problems are the worst :cry:. Hope there's not too much damage.

Moira mentioned Christmas do adverts the other day. You have to book early to get the best. They were already talking about it before I left work.

Slept in a bit today as was out till quite late. Today's thrilling agenda is to tidy up, go shopping and help DS put in a stair gate upstairs as GD is staying overnight on Saturday (I have resisted this so far!). The staircase is not a standard width and there are obstacles in the way (the joy of older houses). Although she is 4, we would all be happier with a gate in place because of the layout and steepness of the stairs if she were to get out of bed during the night.
Last edited by earthmaiden on August 7th, 2019, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2019, 9:04 am

I think most of the current crop of Christmas adverts are aimed at people organising big do’s or something quite special, I’ve had brochures for Christmas breaks for a while, but it’s normal to plan a holiday months ahead isn’t it?

Yes earthmaiden, I did think my best course of action might be to phone British Gas and ask about the cupboard (correctly called a meter box Google tells me). The one for the electricity meter is fine, but there’s no doubt the gas meter needs a new one. If they will fit a new one then I’ll go for it as although it may not be the cheapest way of doing it, it will certainly be the most effective.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2019, 9:31 am

Good luck with the plumbing Suffolk
I’m trying to decide whether I can walk to Holloway or if it’s a bit too far, I overdid my physio exercises and really upset my muscles so I’m having to work up to full activity yet again.
It’s a nice day so far, so I need to do something outside with the morning before the showers settle in
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 7th, 2019, 9:33 am

You can just buy new doors for meter boxes, if that's all that's needed, and it's not so old that modern doors don't fit.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2019, 9:43 am

Wonderful local plumber arrived at 9am ... agreed with our diagnosis but pointed out that the electrical connecting box thingummy was full of water :shock: :scared:

He cursed the firm who made such a pig’s ear of installing the thing some years ago, sorted out the electrical gubbins and made it safe, tightened all the plumbing joints as they weren’t sealed properly and tested everything several times. He was so peed off with the dodgy installation that wouldn’t give MIL a bill so she’s given him some pocket money for his son who starts at the Royal Ballet School next term. 8-) He’s told her to ring him at the first sign of more dripping. :tu: :kneel:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 7th, 2019, 9:45 am

I haven't got a meter box so have no idea but am shocked you would have to pay for any kind of replacement. I thought outdoor ones were owned/ managed by the suppliers. They were the ones who put meters outside (where feasible) in the first place.

DS just called to say his truck broke down earlier so he won't be coming today. That means looking at the list and seeing what boring things I can get done and ticked off instead :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 7th, 2019, 9:50 am

I had a phone call from Scottish Power last week to say that the surveyor was in my area next week and would call in to arrange the fitting of my new smart meter. I told her that I didn't want one thank you. Why not she asked. Because I don't want to do my meter reader out of a job I said - I think too many jobs are being lost to robots etc. Oh don't worry she said, we are retraining all our meter readers to being smart meter repair engineers. I laughed and said that I didn't want a smart meter if they were so unreliable that they were training engineers to repair them. :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2019, 10:09 am

earthmaiden wrote:I haven't got a meter box so have no idea but am shocked you would have to pay for any kind of replacement. I thought outdoor ones were owned/ managed by the suppliers. They were the ones who put meters outside (where feasible) in the first place.

No, I knew they were part of my property, only the meters themselves and the piping/wiring from mains to meter are owned by the supplier, the rest is mine. I confirmed that by checking on line faqs

I don’t think fitting a new box is difficult, but I’m a bit worried that because mine is such an old installation the pipes are probably in stupid places. May have to ask someone to have a look
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 7th, 2019, 10:26 am

I had a phone call requiring me to go into the insurance brokers down in Episcopi, it was just to sign a form. As I was in that direction I changed supper plans and visited the cooked chicken shop in Erimi, it will be Chicken Salad for supper. Michele gave me a meat ball to try, a bit oniony but plenty of herbs, we may try some when the weather is a bit cooler.

We can now get more than one radio station in our new car, it is now tuned to RIK Classic, a local station, it plays both Classic Orchestral Music and Classic Jazz. They tend to play entire pieces of music so I had Berlioz Symphonie Fantasque all the way there and all the way back

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2019, 11:58 am

Re SmartMeters. I am an expert customer.

Because my Alzheimer’s OH let in a 16 year old boy in a hoodie purporting to be a meter reader a year ago I rang SSE to arrange for SmartMeters to be fitted. I also asked if said meter reader was genuine. They didn’t know because they were a Call Centre in The Philippines. (It later transpired he was genuine as it happens so nul points for me and my prejudices).

Three months later the SmartMeter fitters arrived, with only an electricity meter, not both as had been requested. There was much sucking of teeth and shaking of heads and we were diagnosed with asbestos. This detail /problem would be escalated they said. Bugger all happened for 2 months and so I rang the only phone number available (I.e.The Philippines) who had a tick list which didn’t include my questions. I trawled their website and the net for other contact details and eventually found a postal address and wrote a letter. It was like igniting a fuse! Within a week the asbestos team turned up. Their diagnosis was that there was no asbestos at all. :rolleyes: They diagnosed something called a Fuse Neutral which is, apparently, illegal and a throwback to the Victorians who built our property. Cue more sucking of teeth because that’s something they don’t do. :evil: I was advised to ring the UK Power Network who were very efficient and sorted the problem quickly. Then had to wait another two months for SSE to return and finally install the SmartMeters. They were due between 8-12, turned up at around 3pm and worked for 5 hours. They removed and replaced various bits of piping as well as installing the meters and there was no charge. However we are still in dispute over compensation for wasted time.

Is not an experience I will care to repeat.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 7th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Ha PP! I too had a man round who decided that my electric meter might be mounted on an asbestos board (the meter had been replaced 2 years earlier with no problems). This man's father had died from Mesothelioma (common in these parts as it affected men who worked in certain parts of the old Swindon railway works). Once I had consoled him over the loss of his father and agreed that of course he was right to be wary he sat down and spent 30 mins filling in online forms. He said an appointment would
e made for asbestos testers to visit but warned me that if it was asbestos they would charge in the region of £400 to remove it and that I should make private arrangements as it would be cheaper. The next day, whilst I was out, a card was left saying that the asbestos people had called but I was out :evil:. I rang the supplier who said that none of this information had reached my account yet and they could not make a new appointment but would contact me once it was. A couple of years passed and I kept getting emails asking why I had not applied for a Smart meter. In the end I rang and said I would like one but there was no point in just sending a fitter out. They said the process would have to start again. I made an appointment. Meanwhile, the more I read about smart meters the more I didn't want one so I cancelled the appointment online. I had text messages up until the day reminding me of the appointment even though I had proof I had cancelled it. Two days after the appointment had been due I received an apology for a missed appointment and a credit of £30 on my bill! I have lived happily with my board which may be made of asbestos and without a smart meter ever since and will wait until they are mandatory before having one.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:
Late to the party today because we decided to do the shopping today to give us more time tomorrow.

I am happy to report reasonable tranquility in the chicken run although all 7 are somewhat stressed - as we expected they would be. Harriet the oldest White Sussex is not a happy chook and is not being very nice to the new arrivals although the Welsommers are standing up to her nonesense. Hattie and Hettie, being smaller, are not being too lucky. Mr R went out to them at 6.45 to make sure they could deal with the automatic door and he found Jules sitting outside the hen house watching what was going on. he loves his clucking friends. We've told him to tell Harriet off if she is nasty to the new arrivals.

I am really looking forward to our anniversary dinner tonight even tough my husband of 54 years is pretenting to be offended that I have chosen to go to a restaurant with what must be the dishiest chef around!

We had a very odd experience in town. We went to Picard to pick up some canapes for tomorrow evening and just as I pulled the door open and very small person on a very small bike shot out, knocking my stick out of my hand and riding over my foot. I yelled but amanaged to hang onto the door he grabed the child who screamed blue murder . When I got into the shop the mother was trying to capture a slightly larger child who was riding his bike furiously round the store. When he had been captured Mum started berating Mr R along the lines of "How dare you touch my child?" His answer was "Would you rather I let him go loose in a busy car park/" All three were eventually got out of the store and the poor assitant was past herself and so appologetic that she hadn't been able to stop the little angels but she was on her own.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 7th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Hello Wildies :wave: and sorry for radio silence. Have been without internet but now up and running here in sunny Cumbria! :D :tu:

Move went as well as it could have done. Poor Ollie Boppet didn't enjoy the journey and spent the first two hours yelling his head off whilst trying to break out of his basket but he's settled down and is already asking to be allowed to explore the garden (far too early for that). We're surrounded by boxes and have heaps of things to do and to sort out so forgive me if you don't see me much for a bit but we couldn't be happier. Hurrah!! :D

Anyhow I'll catch up properly when I can. Love to all.... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 7th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Great to hear from you Sea, and that all went as well as could be expected.

I’m sure Ollie Boppet will soon find his feet in the new area once he has had a chance to get his bearings sorted.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2019, 2:03 pm

:wave: Seatallen and Ollie

My meters are in the yard, attached to a solid brick wall with no back board. I was offered a smart meter when they were first rolled out but when they turned up to fit the electricity meter they couldn’t do it because my meter and that for the other flat had been shoe horned into one box, and there wasn’t enough space. This was years ago, but the other flat has just been refurbished and now has a new meter in a new box so I want mine done now, as I find them very difficult to read. I’ll maybe get D to look at the box - he was CORGI registered, though I think that has lapsed, and runs a small building maintenance firm.
I’m aware of the asbestos backboard issue as when I did voluntary housing stuff we always had to have them removed when old dilapidated houses were restored, along with the one behind the geyser over the bath. But I think that’s an issue I won’t have
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » August 7th, 2019, 3:22 pm

If it's any help to you Sue, our meter is so low down, and so cramped I can't get down to read it. I take a photo with iPad held roughly where I think the meter is. Then use fingers to increase size. Mostly that works.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2019, 3:33 pm

But with a SmartMeter you get a mini meter that you plug in elsewhere so that reading is easy. Or at least we did.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 7th, 2019, 3:44 pm

My meters are in the garage, and I have the mini meter in the kitchen, just for interest - I was astonished to discover that the difference in cost of leaving the heating on all day, rather than having it on for a couple of hours in the morning, and then in the evening was less than £1 a day. Why be cold during the day for that amount? You don't have to read your meter and submit your readings, with a smart meter, of course, and my supplier - EON - has reduced my direct debit by £13 a month.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 7th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:But with a SmartMeter you get a mini meter that you plug in elsewhere so that reading is easy. Or at least we did.

My 'mini-meter' only shows the cost of fuel used, not meter readings, but with a smart meter you never need to read the meter yourself - that's the point of it.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby liketocook » August 7th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Good evening everyone,
What a lovely present Rats :luv:
Glad all went well Sea :D
I've had a smart meter for a while now and really like it and the mini meter. I found installation fuss free and as it is an old build the contractor gave everything a thorough MOT and happily all was as it should be. :D My electric meter is in an awkward postion for me to read so it's fab not to have to take readings any more.
Despite a further weather warning for more thunder/rain it's been a lovely day though there were rumbles in the distance. That said yesterday evening we had more than enough torrential rain/thunder to create flooding locally again! I made the most of the good weather and spent most of it in the garden :D . The forecast is half decent for tomorrow and if it's correct I'll head to my Dad's to work on his garden.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2019, 9:58 pm

We tried to have a smart meter ... you may remember the saga ... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16639&p=487902&hilit=smart+meter#p487902

:rolleyes:

We’re still at MILs as there were a few more practical things that we could help with ... going home tomorrow :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 8th, 2019, 5:03 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Smart Meters what are they :rolleyes:
Glad to read that you survived the move, Sea

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 8th, 2019, 7:19 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out at the moment :D we have a smart meter for electric, the little monitor that tells us how much electricity we have used is a nuisance, I have shoved it out of the way, we rarely look at it, I guess I could just unplug it. When the gas people wanted to install a smart meter OH said no for reasons known only to him :rolleyes: It's better not to have to send meter readings in, it's all done and up to date all the time.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2019, 7:46 am

Morning all! :wave:

So glad you're settling in Seatallen. Poor Ollie Boppet, he will soon be loving his new surroundings though. I have always taken mine out on a lead (piece of string tied onto a collar) for the first few outdoor adventures in new surroundings. It seems to work well.

Rats - I hope you are alright after your ordeal. That really is unacceptable, especially with no apology.

Gruney, I was interested in your findings at keeping the heating on. It must depend a bit on how well your house is insulated too. £1 a day is £30 a month though which I consider to be quite a lot (I know that you said less than £1 a day). I just turn the heating on when I am cold and down if I am warm or going out. I found that shift patterns didn't equate with normal suggested heating control regimes :rolleyes:. Will have to work out something this winter - sitting in the library for part of each day maybe :). The trouble is, if you go out you end up buying coffee or something which is even more expensive!

GD is coming today. We are going to examine the revamped play park round the corner - apparently the council has replaced all the equipment and it is said to be very nice. Then we may walk into town and see what we think of the Urban Beach which has been set up for the summer. It looks fun, lots of sand to dig in and various activities to join in with - with deckchairs for grannies 8-) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2019, 8:24 am

Good morning
I’m definitely going for the smart meter, it’s just the box that could be a pain. I need to take some pics of where the pipes run and see what’s what.

I’ll be interested to see how much the heating costs. I have Hive and can control it from my phone which I’m sure saves me money, as it’s so easy to change the schedule I fine tune it constantly. So if I’m going out in the evening instead of coming on early in the evening I turn it back on when I leave to come home, or if I’m going out early I set it to come on early and go off early.

It was brilliantly sunny 15 minutes ago but it has gone somewhere already. Need to check the hourly forecast and decide what to do. WI tonight, so I’ll have pizza while I’m out instead of cooking

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2019, 9:37 am

dennispc wrote:If it's any help to you Sue, our meter is so low down, and so cramped I can't get down to read it. I take a photo with iPad held roughly where I think the meter is. Then use fingers to increase size. Mostly that works.

I have a similar problem, but my lecky meter is sideways on, in my pull out larder unit :( I need a very agile small person :rolleyes: I haven't been able to supply a meter reading for some time now, hence my need for a smart meter. I have tried several times to get one fitted, but appointments for a survey always go pear-shaped :( :rolleyes: :? ..
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 8th, 2019, 11:16 am

StokeySue wrote:I’ll be interested to see how much the heating costs.

Just as a guide Sue - the difference between my Summer and Winter cost is approx £3.50 pd. That's for 4bedroom detached, with the heating on all day.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 8th, 2019, 11:19 am

Good afternoon everyone,
Since getting my smart meter I've found it's really curbed my "wasted" usage. For example I was very guilty of turning the oven on to heat up and then getting distracted :oops: . I always set the timer now to avoid this. I wouldn't say it has changed my heating etc. use but I did find my electric use has dropped a good bit just by being mindful of waste. It's only a few pennies here and there but it soon mounts up. :)
It's sunny so far today, my sister is picking me up at 1pm and we are off to tidy up my Dad's garden as I'm sure it will be weedy after all the rain! First viewers are booked for Saturday but it's early days as it's only just on the market. The weather is supposed to break overnight for a few days but hopefully it will be dry when they view.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 8th, 2019, 11:20 am

When I was on maternity leave with a premature baby I was obsessed by trying to keep him warm and then worrying about getting a huge gas bill. I also found that keeping the heating in all day at one degree lower than usual resulted in a warm house and virtually no difference in the quarters bill.........much to my relief.

I have always done this ever since, I hate sitting and feeling cold.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2019, 11:45 am

Gruney wrote:
StokeySue wrote:I’ll be interested to see how much the heating costs.

Just as a guide Sue - the difference between my Summer and Winter cost is approx £3.50 pd. That's for 4bedroom detached, with the heating on all day.

Thanks. I wAs thinking more of the hourly cost, as I fine tune the timing so much. I do have the heating on in the day if I will be in
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 8th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I couldn't use the laptop this morning because when I turned it on at 8.30 unasked or approved it started a Windows update which took 4 hours!

My new ladies are doing really well and are quickly getting the hang of living in a big open space. In fact i had a special birthday present this morning - a very little, very brown speckled egg!

I have friends coming over for dinner tonight but, unfortunately fewer than expected because one has been taken into hospital again. He has Myeloma but had been doing well until he had a very adverse reaction to a new drug. His poor wife is distraught but kindly popped round with a bottle of fizz and a card this morning. My cousin who is 6 years older than me rang this morning and said she now sends more condolence cards than birthday cards !

I'm afraid our special meal last night proved to be a terrible disaster. In fact for only the second time in my life I walked out mid way through the meal. Far far too long a tale but sufficeint to say that the Michelin guide is going to get a very cross letter from Mr R tomorrow and I shall be posting a less than flattering review on TA. All will be well tonight though because we've ordered an aioli garni from the butcher? triateur and a cake from the Parisian patisserie.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Happy Birthday Ratatouille

Shame about last night, I didn't tremendously like the look of the menu, but I thought that was down to the usual very poor French website (why are they so rubbish? We had some excellent French IT and programming peopel at work)

Enjoy the aioli. And the egg!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 8th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Ratatouille; an egg already, does this means that the hens are settling in? Sorry to read about your disastrous meal, it must have been bad if you left.

We are having Coronation Chicken tonight, the base for the sauce is cooling. I had to buy a new drum of mild curry powder, it smelt lovely

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 8th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Thanks Sue.

The waiter tried d to give me the English menu and I told him in my very best French that it was too difficult to understand and the French version was fine!
The food, what we had of it, was fine it was the service and the staff who were dreadful.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Oh Rats what a shame :( but better by far to leave than to grit your teeth and endure :hug: have a lovely day today :hug:

Seatallen ... glad youre on the road to being settled/sorted :D

We are home ... via Wrose so we have food for the weekend ... collapsing on the sofa now with my new book ‘The Fens ... discovering England’s ancient depths’ By Francis Pryor ... all about the history and geography of the area where we’ve just been :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 8th, 2019, 2:36 pm

That was the book of the week a while ago. I really enjoyed it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Yes Rats I enjoyed it too ...but of course that was an edited and abridged version, so I bought it so that I could read it all. :D OH grew up on the banks of the River Welland which features large in the book, and MIL and the DILs all still live in that area ... not far from Flag Fen. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Oh, Happy Birthday Rats! I do hope that tonight's dining will be more of a success. How lovely to receive a birthday egg! :cocktail: :cocktail:

I have had a rather busy day, 4 year olds have so much energy!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 8th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Just a quickie! :wave:
Last week I posted a birthday parcel to a now-retired colleague, wanting it to arrive by the following Weds (yesterday). Had a quick shifty at my emails today & she got the parcel the day after I posted it. :tu: Hats off to Royal Mail!!!!! :kneel:

Also, I had The Squeeze :shock: Got the results through the post this avo - I've got the AC! :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
Just have to keep a careful eye on my b**bs ;)
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 9th, 2019, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I must look out for Francis Pryor's, The Fens, Suffs, the problem is that I have to rely on Amazon or Kindle. I find that most non fiction is difficult on Kindle, diagrams, family trees and photos do not come out well.
I have just heard that they had an earth tremour in Cornwall, we shall expect a report from Scully

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 6:35 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Yes I hear the earth moved in Cornwall ... I doubt Scully rushed out into the street :rolleyes: :lol:

We have drizzle ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 6:46 am

... and now we have ‘proper rain’ ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 9th, 2019, 8:25 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's getting hotter by the day and we could do with any of your surplus rain in the UK.

The new girls are doing really well but the old ones are being bossy howeven the 4 new bigger hens will soon be able to stand up for themselves as they are rather older than the last new lot and all 4 are already laying.

We had a lovely evening except that Mr R had to go back to the traiteurs because the aioli was not ready when they said it would be. That's August for you.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 8:25 am

Morning all! :wave:. I did wonder if the earth had moved for Scully.

Lots of rain overnight but it's gone to visit Suffs now and it's sunny here. Thunderstorms forecast this afternoon so I'd better do outdoor things this morning.

I have heard of the Francis Pryor book before. It sounds interesting. I have such a pile of books to study properly now that I supposedly have a bit more time!

GD and I had lunch out yesterday. I chose an egg and watercress sandwich and she a toasted cheese and ham one. I let her have a piece of mine whilst we waited for hers to cool. Her eyes lit up and she said it was the best sandwich she had ever tasted. I don't think she'd had an egg sandwich before! I agree, they are tops! In the end, she had the sandwich and I had the toastie :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 9th, 2019, 8:50 am

I think because you are advised not to give children under one eggs they get left out of children’s diets and they are often much older before they try one. Amazing to think we all were weaned on them and lived to tell the tale ;)

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 9th, 2019, 9:10 am

Good morning everyone,
An egg and watercress sandwich will always get a thumbs up from me :chops: .
And the rain came tumbling down...... It's a manky day here and the bottom of my garden is flooded. What a change from yesterday's glorious sunshine.
I'm happy to have a day pottering indoors, I'm going to make a large pan of courgettee and tomato sauce, mainly for the freezer but I'll use some tonight with meatballs & pasta. Apart from that and a bit of tidying I'm for a quiet day, between gardening at my Dad's and then in my own garden I over did it a tad and I'm rather unsteady on my feet today. I've no visitors planned this weekend and hope to hunker down for a couple of days until my balance settles back down.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 9th, 2019, 9:41 am

Rats, would like to hear about the birthday meal disaster sometime. I bet it is a story and a half....

Morning Wildies! :wave:

Off to the dump with a load of cardboard but will try to catch up later.... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 9:50 am

Harrumph ... the best laid plans etc ... I could’ve sworn there was a tub of creme fraiche in the fridge ... but there wasn’t and had to dash down to Wrose and spend forty quid!!! I was feeling a bit more creative re the next few days meals when we stopped off on our way home yesterday ... think tomorrow will have a Mexican flavour ... and I remembered the creme fraiche so I can get on with the zucchini and basil soup for lunch ... then I’ve got a stack of runner beans I picked first thing this morning ... I’ll prep and freeze at least two thirds of them and the rest will be for tonight with some sticky pork ribs and jacket potato.
Last edited by suffolk on August 9th, 2019, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2019, 10:00 am

this is the first i've heard of an earthquake! - but then we were on the m5 at about 6pm yesterday so wouldn't have felt it anyway.
it was about three miles south of falmouth and 2.2 magnitude. very similar to what there's been before - none of which i've felt.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 11:58 am

Any more sightings of the Cornish humpback Scully?
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop