Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby Ratatouille » August 9th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Sea the settling in is obviously going well,

The saga of the meal is best expalined by seeing my review on TA. The reply from the restaurant says it all!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... _Azur.html
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 9th, 2019, 12:21 pm

I wish I could have an Egg & Watercress sandwich :drool: , attempts at Egg & Cress sandwiches failed, despite importing the correct seed from the UK, it is just too hot.
In fact it is so hot we have succumbed and turned on the A/C.
We came back from Pissouri via the local supermarket, it always makes me laugh if you go in there late morning, it was after midday the vast majority of customers are Northern European, the Cypriots go in earlier when it is cooler. I bought some large bags of plum tomatoes, 90cents for over 1 KG of fruit, I will cook and freeze them tomorrow.

Edited to add that Rats, the restaurant did not appear to understand your complaint at all

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Goodness Rats, Basil Fawlty couldn't have made more of a mess of things. How sad.

I think it would be difficult to grow watercress unless you had exactly the right conditions. Not sure about the sort we grew on blotting paper as children (mustard and cress). Does that fail too?

Think the thunderstorms are on the way ......
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Rats!!! What total plonkers :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2019, 1:39 pm

You can buy seeds and grow land cress, Mine ran to seed but the bit I got was similar to watercress
https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable-Seeds/All-Vegetable-Seeds/Cress-Seeds---American-Land_161670.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjws7TqBRDgARIsAAHLHP7gfj8ZdMkMvK5jEz1L2s5bGdHkZgG-zKk_aqR2tANh1HwUMpWd2MIaAp2yEALw_wcB#close

I’m told you can get bunched watercress to root in water and then grow on in a pot of wet compost, it’s a marginal plant not a true aquatic after all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2019, 2:01 pm

my suggestion would be to find a clean stream further up the hill, where it's cooler, and sow the seeds in a shady patch of the margin by a slow flowing part of the stream.
yes, i've had it root in a glass of water.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 9th, 2019, 2:13 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Not sure about the sort we grew on blotting paper as children (mustard and cress). Does that fail too?
Yes, that failed as well
scullion wrote: suggestion would be to find a clean stream further up the hill, where it's cooler, and sow the seeds in a shady patch of the margin by a slow flowing part of the stream.
I don't think that the Water Board would be happy about that, all the water sources are closely supervised as it is drinking water.

You get used to what fruit and vegetables grow here. This morning I had a choice of four types of aubergines. I wish I knew what to do with the long marrow type vegetable, I think that the local cooks put it in casserole type dishes. They are not a pumpkin, those are just appearing in the shops

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 2:29 pm

The Urban Beach we went to yesterday had a draw for people who left comments on their FB page afterwards. I have just won a lot of shopping vouchers!!! :bounce:. (GD shall have the lovely fairy doll she coveted in M&S with some of them!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2019, 4:46 pm

I wish I knew what to do with the long marrow type vegetable, I think that the local cooks put it in casserole type dishes. They are not a pumpkin, those are just appearing in the shops

I think that's a dudhi, lauki, bottle gourd or calabash, it comes in a variety of shapes, sometimes long and straight, sometimes crook necked some times pear shaped and all in between

I had a Turkish colleague who liked it cooked, cooled and made into a salad with rocket or purslane, but there seem to be mainly Indian (dudhi or lauki) recipes out on the internet

earthmaiden that's nice! :hi5: :bounce:

The storm has hit, but I managed to fit the new lock to the post box in the dry, so it may not lead to soggy mail.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 9th, 2019, 4:56 pm

earthmaiden wrote:The Urban Beach we went to yesterday had a draw for people who left comments on their FB page afterwards. I have just won a lot of shopping vouchers!!! :bounce:. (GD shall have the lovely fairy doll she coveted in M&S with some of them!).

Brilliant! Well done EM. 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Lovely EM :D

We’ve still got sunshine ... wind’s quite gusty but we got lots of washing dry :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2019, 6:24 pm

We have had a mahoosive thunderstorm.
It still feels quite oppressive though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 6:55 pm

The weather has arrived here ... the wind is very blustery, rain is hammering on the west facing windows and there’s a splendid rainbow in the east.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 7:33 pm

We've had rain but at the moment the sun is just going down, it's dry and the wind is blowing through the house (because windows are open). It's almost feeling cold. It's lovely :luv: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 8:17 pm

The rain has stopped...the wind has dropped ... black clouds are floating across the sky and it’s quite muggy ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » August 9th, 2019, 10:27 pm

happy (late) birthday Rats. Hope things improved for you.

To help make you feel better, today we’ve had wind, rain, sunshine, thunder, lightening, and very warm temps. Apart from saying goodbye to visitors, I’ve hardly crossed the threshold!
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2019, 5:53 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, sorry Sue that is not the same vegetable, thanks for checking. It seems to be used as part of a vegetable mixture or put into the local lentil/small pasta dish. A dish never served in tavernas but can sometimes be bought in the hot food shops.

Was anyone affected by the power cuts?

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2019, 6:37 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

No power problems here thank goodness ... very odd goings on ... we’re so reliant on the power supply nowadays.

We’ve got gusty wind here but nothing you’d call stormy ... so far ... today’s main task is sorting out the spice rack :scared: ... there’s also some ir*ning to do... but that may be put off until tomorrow ;)

Supper will be beef tacos, salad and refried beans ... and I’ve bought a jar of tomatillo salsa to try.
Last edited by suffolk on August 10th, 2019, 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2019, 7:17 am

Good morning wild ones. The rain has stopped for now but the wind is picking up. I have tied down plants just in case it gets really blowy. No power cuts here either. Dinner tonight will be griddled steak (rump for OH, small medallion for me, remains of mine will be for lunch tomorrow) :rolleyes: with salad (plus wedges for OH) followed by strawberries, raspberries and blackberries with cream :chops:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2019, 8:09 am

Morning everyone :wave:

A very uncomfortable night because it was so hot but at least we had power. I hope all Widies are safe. It sounded like hell on wheels last night.

Not mush activity planned here today after Mr R has finished taming the growth on the balcony. No market today because it has been such a mad week. It is supposed to stay hot today and tomorrow morning then the wind will shift round to the north and the temperature will drop - a lot!

I've got a small veal roast which I will pot roast for tonight and lunch will be new eggs from my lovely ladies with the rest of the aioli - so not many vampires to be seen around Les Yves.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2019, 8:18 am

Morning all! :wave:. Still very blowy here. Loving the breeze indoors but doesn't look very nice to go out in.

Very interesting about the power. They followed the emergency procedures well I thought, even though of course it would have been nasty to have been caught up in it. I think that as we move further towards relying solely on electricity we shall see more of that kind of thing and it's a bit worrying.

What nice food everyone's having! GD is coming after lunch and staying the night for the first time. Meanwhile, I have just had a text to say my laptop is ready for collection - hooray!! :bounce:

Hope the day goes well for all.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 10th, 2019, 8:19 am

Hi folks :wave:

Good grief, this weather! Torrential rain just before we left work at 5pm yesterday meant brollies out and soggy feet for those of us still braving sandals. :oops: Very blustery winds have not let up since. I will be heading out on the bus soon to pick up my usual items and also pop into Wilkos to look at paint. I am sick of the pink that I chose for my hallway so it has got to go! Having been extortionstely quoted for carpets by the likes of Carpet Right and Harvey's, I got a local, family run business in this morning. Cost including fitting for a basic, hard wearing, grey carpet - £100 hallway. £300 bedroom, £350 living room. :shock: It is do-able one room a month, but how much!!?? It's not as if it's a big flat. It would be such a relief to get it done though.....

Right, I'm off. I am fancying veggie burger in Ciabatta bread for dinner later and I'll grill some Halloumi and make a giant salad to have with it. Feature length Casualty on tonight too. . With my candles lit this will really feel like autumn already! :bounce:

Have a good day all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 10th, 2019, 9:00 am

Off to lunch today at the Flight Deck Cafe. It’s in the old control tower at Turweston Airfield, nr Brackley. Nothing special just a place to meet up. I hope it’s not too windy up there! :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby liketocook » August 10th, 2019, 9:15 am

Good morning everyone,
After a wet & stormy night it is dryish just now though looking at the sky I suspect not for long.
I'm much steadier on my feet today so plan to give my freezers a much needed tidy out as they have got very jumbled :oops: and there seems to be much less space than there should be. Once that's done, I'll probably do one today and one tomorrow, there should be plenty of room for this years garden surplus :) .
I'm making tofu ramen tonight, tofu isn't something I've cooked much before and when I have it's been with the ready marinated packs from the Chinese supermarket. This is just a block which I'll press for a bit later then cube and marinate in the ramen stock before frying. Fingers crossed it works out ok. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2019, 9:16 am

I’ve been very good ... the ironing has all been done :D Now for a :mug: then I’ll tackle the spices ... OH says it’s ‘gone feral’

:lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 10th, 2019, 9:20 am

suffolk wrote: OH says it’s ‘gone feral’

:lol:

Sounds like my freezers :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » August 10th, 2019, 9:21 am

sounds like our whole house!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2019, 9:34 am

:hi5: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2019, 9:38 am

Same here scully!

Tezza, if you could ask around and see if anyone at work etc knows a carpet fitter it is worth looking at the offcuts in carpet shops - sometimes they are quite big (and to one's taste)
My bedrooms were done like that (you do have to buy underlay) but it was much cheaper. I think your quite was quite good actually.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2019, 9:46 am

Several Kilos of tomatoes have been cooked down ready to be frozen, I have left them roughly chopped, they can be pureed when needed. The real problem is going be getting them cooled down, I may try putting the pan outside on the tiles. I made Imam Bayildi at the same time, we will have that this evening together with Garlic Bread from the local baker.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 10th, 2019, 10:04 am

Blimey Rats, your restaurant experience sounds terrible. I loved the bit in the response when they accuse you of lying.... :shock:

Rather soggy here today but not windy. Wish weather was better for the local Lowther show, which I may visit (in my wellies :) ) tomorrow if I catch up on myself.

Have a happy day all :wave: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2019, 10:12 am

Hello,
What I don’t understand about the power cut is that it lasted less than 30 minutes, was over by 18.20, but Kings Cross was shut all evening and it took them hours to retrieve the stalled trains. Doesn’t someone need to look into that?

We have had wind and rain and we still have wind.

Must get on, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 10th, 2019, 10:26 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Several Kilos of tomatoes have been cooked down ready to be frozen, I have left them roughly chopped, they can be pureed when needed.

sounds like you need a solar drier!
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 10th, 2019, 10:27 am

earthmaiden wrote: I think that as we move further towards relying solely on electricity we shall see more of that kind of thing and it's a bit worrying.

My person who knows about power generation says it is lack of investment. There should be 8% spare capacity, power generation which can be used if there is an unexpected demand such as a power station failure, and now it runs on zero spare capacity.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » August 10th, 2019, 10:34 am

StokeySue wrote:What I don’t understand about the power cut is that it lasted less than 30 minutes, was over by 18.20, but Kings Cross was shut all evening and it took them hours to retrieve the stalled trains

maybe there were trains from areas that may not have had power cuts in places that made it difficult for trains from areas of no power to be moved to later.
the signaling of trains is complex when even a small thing goes wrong - or people or animals are on the track.
a power problem at didcot would be way more disruptive!
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 10th, 2019, 10:38 am

The train schedule is very tight and the tracks congested so a stalled train has a large knock-on effect.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2019, 10:51 am

Yes, appreciate that it’s difficult, but there didn’t seem to be a fully worked out contingency plan on the railway
Surely you can clear trains sector by sector, at least getting each one into the next station?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2019, 11:22 am

I believe that technicians had to be employed to restart some of the trains because of the way they had ground to a halt and also some signalling was affected so it may have had to be reset and safety checks made to ensure it was signalling correctly before it was used. That's as well as messing up timetables anyway. Nightmare.

Miss Mouse, the investment thing is the crux of it - across all utilities and services. It does worry me though that we are going towards relying on one kind of power although I understand the reasons. You wouldn't even do that in your own house.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2019, 11:44 am

scullion wrote:
cyprusmoira wrote:Several Kilos of tomatoes have been cooked down ready to be frozen, I have left them roughly chopped, they can be pureed when needed.

sounds like you need a solar drier!

I have thought of it, interestingly they do not go in for sundried tomatoes in Cyprus, vine fruit and apricots yes but nothing else. On the other hand the local ladies will Glyco almost anything including aubergines.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 10th, 2019, 5:07 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Tezza, if you could ask around and see if anyone at work etc knows a carpet fitter it is worth looking at the offcuts in carpet shops - sometimes they are quite big (and to one's taste)My bedrooms were done like that (you do have to buy underlay) but it was much cheaper. I think your quite was quite good actually.

As you now have the dimensions of each room … you could look in carpet shops at their end of roll remnant rolls … but unless you know a good DIY'er, you will still need someone to lay them, the underlay and the wooden bits round the side to which the carpet is fixed … Like em, I think the prices you have been quoted are not bad at all (if that is all inclusive) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 10th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I heard today that the power cuts were caused by the EU turning Britain off and on again, in an attempt to cure the Brexit problem.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Reading the BBC coverage of the power cut, apparently the drivers couldn't restart the stalled Thameslink trains when the power came back, they had to get engineers out to each one :rolleyes:
That is why it took so long
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » August 10th, 2019, 6:33 pm

aero280 wrote:I heard today that the power cuts were caused by the EU turning Britain off and on again, in an attempt to cure the Brexit problem.

Priceless. :lol:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm

:lol: :lol: It doesn't seem to have worked.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 10th, 2019, 8:58 pm

earthmaiden wrote: It does worry me though that we are going towards relying on one kind of power although I understand the reasons. You wouldn't even do that in your own house.

In some places there is no choice, If the electricity goes so does the gas boiler, I am not sure about the cooker it seems to have fancy electrics these days, I hope not to have to find out.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 10th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Our gas boiler will go out if there's no electric. It's a failsafe system.

Our new John Lewis cooker has electric ovens, but a gas hob. The gas rings have spark ignition and you have to hold the knob down for a few seconds for the thermocouple heat sensor to register it has lit. I expected that it would also be useless if the power failed, but that is not so. The thermocouples will sense the heat without mains power and keep the rings burning. You still keep the knob pressed down for a few seconds, but you can light the gas by hand. I checked it out and it works. :) So we can still get hot water from pans and things in a power cut.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » August 10th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Hooray aero, I thought that might be it but was too lazy to check. The oven is gas as well so would probably work if a two person operation to light, some heat at least.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 10th, 2019, 10:09 pm

The wind is still up here. Buses were running perfectly to schedule! :lol: Had a nice time in town. My mum joined me and we had to keep dodging the sudden downpours in between shops. Loads of excuses to have to keep stopping for coffee. Of course, then you have to keep stopping for the loo, something which isn't easily found in Dunstable unfortunately. Still, came home with what I went for. :tu:

I keep thinking about the carpet quote. I am going to go for it. I like the idea of shopping for bargains, but when it comes to DIY I would rather leave it to an expert and that doesn't come free. The plan - September hallway, October living room, November bedroom. Just in time for C********!!! :bounce:

A lazy day indoors tomorrow me thinks. Nite all :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2019, 5:21 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Exciting plans Tezza :D :tu:

I dozed on the sofa yesterday evening ... consequently I’ve been wide awake since five :shock: I’ve been out in the garden in my dressing gown and bare feet ... no real storm damage ... just everything looking a bit dishevelled ... and some flowers and petals have blown off. The Picnickers will have to excuse the garden looking a bit windswept ... it’s a week today!!! :bounce:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 11th, 2019, 6:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it looks as if everyone survived the wind and rain, I don't fancy being on the Dover Ferry :o
A bit late reporting in, there was a large Microsoft update, I bet that they have been hiding things again.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop