Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby cyprusmoira » August 16th, 2019, 11:51 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Panic-ye-not sprout lovers, https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/fo ... 12886.html

Good Grief, sometimes I am relieved that I live in Cyprus and do not have to contend with such ideas.

On the other hand we do have goats, We drove off the main highway slip road to go down to Pissouri Bay, there were goats all over the road, luckily we were not driving fast, the goatherd got them order very quickly. I realise what had happened, there is very little for the goats to forage at this time of year so the goats get taken anywhere they can find something to eat.
Then I went to back the car out of the Artemis car park to find that I was blocked in. I went to find Anna, the daughter of the taverna, "oh yes", she said " I knew that it was you Moira, so I could safely block you" :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 16th, 2019, 12:17 pm

I suspect that those sprouts will be a hit.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Both vegan and vegetarian friendly, a 240g box will cost just £3 and will be available in stores from Monday December 9.

Think I'll stick to chips

Been out and had my brows and lashes licked fully into shape and coloured for the first time in nearly a year due to allergy, eye surgery etc. Think Wendy has done an excellent job, I feel much more elegant now. Need to work out how often I go for maintenance

Also been shopping, so the afternoon is free to get on with stuff
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 16th, 2019, 2:19 pm

My friend Neal form Wigan decided that he had had enough of pies. So he made a Brussel sprout curry... :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » August 17th, 2019, 6:04 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit murky here this morning, there is a threat of rain in the mountains. :o

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 17th, 2019, 6:18 am

Morning all! :wave:. Lovely morning after yesterday's deluge.

Getting ready for my trip to the wilds of the East. I removed the sofa seat/cushion covers last night to drop into the dry cleaners on the way. Have just spilt an entire cup of coffee on a naked foam cushion - at least it's got a few days to dry :rolleyes:. Lots to do once I have drunk the replacement :mug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 17th, 2019, 7:19 am

Good morning wild ones. I think I will pass on the deep fried sprouts :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: do you think they are a product from Scotland, they deep fry all sorts :lol: :lol: :lol: The Sun has just peeped through the clouds now the rain has stopped. It rained all day yesterday and All night :rolleyes: let's hope it lasts, mind you it will make the weeds grow :(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Oat » August 17th, 2019, 8:14 am

Traveling to Scotland tomorrow, will keep a lookout for the sprouts :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2019, 8:37 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Have a good journey Oat :tu:

Sunshine here so far today and the forecast looks good for tomorrow :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 17th, 2019, 8:44 am

Years ago I had to go up to Dundee by train, it was a Sunday, Sunday train services have always been bad. I remember the train stopping outside ? Peterborough, we surrounded by fields of Brussel Sprouts.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 17th, 2019, 9:04 am

Morning everyone :wave:

If anyone has any spare rain you may send it here ......please.

Mr R did a noble solo to the market this morning, It is apparently still very hazardous under foot. and the tourits are still pouring in. We hope there is :scared: an exodus this weekend. Travel chaos is threatened in the Autoroutes. Rather them than me.

Have a safe trip em and give my love to everyone tomorrow.

We enjoyed the Prom last night but felt very sorry for the excellent young Americans in their very silly uniforms. The music was fabulous though.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2019, 1:38 pm

The end (of summer) is nigh - I’ve been invaded by expiring wasps
I got stung on my face by one - it didn’t manage to do it properly, I only just felt it and immediately plastered the area with Anthisan. It doesn’t hurt at all but there’s a little red bump

I avoided a second one as I saw the wasp resting on my bar of face soap move slightly and dealt with it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Ouch! :shock: :wave: :mug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 17th, 2019, 3:22 pm

I hope you all have a lovely picnic. I’m sure you will. So sorry I can’t make it but, if it’s any consolation , I was trying to get there in one of last night’s dreams! :o For some reason I was riding a motorbike and kept going through buildings as all the car park gates were closed. :scared: And I did not know your address and nobody I met did either. :rolleyes:

Felt a bit tired when I woke up!

Enjoy. :hungry:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Oh bless you! Dear Mary forgot our address last time she came here and she couldn’t remember our proper names either and hadn’t brought a note of our phone number
:shock: :lol: ... fortunately she stopped at a pub and borrowed their Wifi and got through to the forum and someone gave her our phone number and we drove down to the pub and got her ... and then summoned the AA cos her car wouldn’t start again either ... but all’s well that ends well ... glasses will be raised to Absent Friends :hug: :wave:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 17th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I'm in lovely sunny Norfolk! One of the cheeses which joined me on the journey has filled the car with its fragrance I have had to leave it there with a melting ice pack as it's a bit antisocial :oops:. I hope it tastes nice.

PP - we should be flattered that you want to join us that much :lol:.

It must be wasp season, that sounds nasty Sue. The cafe where I met a friend for lunch recently is particularly nice on a fine day as there are lots of outside tables overlooking a canal. They had a problem with wasps - there were hundreds of them and they were unable to discover where the nest was. They dealt with them quite effectively with charcoal burning in little metal dishes and joss sticks - wasps were not keen on them.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 17th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Good evening everyone,
Ouch re the wasp sting Sue :hug:
Lunch with my sis & friends was lovely and despite what seemed like far too much food when I set it out there's not a lot of leftovers just enough to happily cover a couple of my lunches (including one soused herring :chops: ). I picked the first of my kholrabi to make a "slaw" with carrot & apple. With a vinegarette dressing rather than mayo based one it was lovely and light, there's only a couple of tablespoons left from a decent-sized bowlful so it definitely went down well. My friend made gorgeous choc & walnut brownies for pud which we had with creme fraiche and raspberries. I have a small square in the fridge and my sis took the rest for my nephew and his gf.

Until late afternoon it was a lovely day though very windy if you weren't sheltered and we managed to sit out in the garden to have coffee and pudding without getting blown away. About an hour after they left the skiessuddenly darkened and there was the most violent thunderstorm and torrential rain. The bottom of my garden was completely flooded as was my lean to. The storm didn't last very long but there has been a few sharp showers since.
Have a lovely picnic tomorrow :cocktail: :cocktail:
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Pooh that cheese sounds :drool:

I’m tucked up under the duvet ... think everything’s organised ... I’ll make the bread and scones in the morning ...

Night night all ... sweet dreams everyone ... especially PepperPig ... sleep tight ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 17th, 2019, 11:58 pm

vinegar for wasp stings - worked brilliantly when i got a sting on a finger while putting up the tent a couple of weeks ago.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 18th, 2019, 5:53 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it's a bit cloudy here, will it rain ;) ?
If I remember correctly with stings it is, wasps and winegar, bees and bicarbonate.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 18th, 2019, 6:14 am

Good morning
Looks quite pleasant here but slightly higher chance of rain in Norfolk

I think getting the antihistamine on in less than 2 minutes may have been more useful than winegar but as you often get stings in and around the kitchen it’s maybe worth knowing raw onion works. I have used this. As I said, she was on her last legs, and I don’t think the sting went in very far and I doubt the full dose of venom went in. The result is more like a mild midget bite than anything more exciting.

Better get on, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 18th, 2019, 6:30 am

I was taught at an early age with bees/wasps that you apply acid to the sting of one and alkali to the other - but I can never remember which is which. Perhaps I will now!

Morning all! Forecast looks alright for Norwich. It's sunny in Cromer. The drill here is that I am brought a cuppa in bed before performing my abloutions. Mine host is happily pottering about down the garden with her chickens and I want to get up :(.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 18th, 2019, 6:35 am

My mother was rubbish at home cures. I’m sure she used to put butter on my stings . . . :lol:

Have a lovely day everyone. Thanks goodness the Test Match is very exciting and there is not much chance of rain at Lord’s so I will at least be occupied today. Will raise a glass etc. :cocktail:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 18th, 2019, 6:52 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out, :bounce: no more rain, :bounce: .........yet :rolleyes: I hope the weather stays nice for the Norwich meet, have a good time those of you attending :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail:
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 18th, 2019, 9:47 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm glad the forecast is good for the picnic, definitely not picnic weather here it cold, wet & windy.
I'm happy to have a day pottering in the house as I seem to have picked up a cold and I'm feeling quite tired and grotty. I've few bits I want to get done today but the world won't end if they don't get done. There's leftovers for lunch and I've a small piece of rump steak defrosting to make stroganoff later so very little by way of prep or cooking needed today.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 18th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Afternoone everyone :wave:

Just said goodbye to our uni friend and his disabled wife plus 2 other friends. Lordy it's nearly 5.00 o'clock.
WE had a proper Sunday lunch inside in the cool because we felt that friend really needed a lift because since coming down this year he has had a sries of health scares and , last week a car disaster.

We have just spent a really fun afternoon laughing our heads off and looking at old photos etc, I am sure that food is always one of the best ways to bring things back into perspective, especially when cooking for yourself is an utter pain.

Thinking about how things are going in Norfolk and hoping everyone is having lots of fun.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 18th, 2019, 3:28 pm

We have storms forecast for tomorrow, the clouds are already beginning to pile up, it's going to be a sticky night :rolleyes: Interestingly the local Cypriots are not disturbed by this, traditionally the weather changes, humidity drops on 15th August, this is the first time that this has happened in over 15 years.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 18th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Same here Moira . Absolutely no sign so far!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 19th, 2019, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, no cloud this morning, it cleared overnight. The moon looked very dramatic in the clouds. The weather forecasts are contradicting each other, one says sun, the rain prediction has been removed, the other says island wide storms.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 19th, 2019, 6:40 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out again :bounce: :bounce: I will be spending the day weeding the garden and the greenhouse :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2019, 6:52 am

Moira my phone says you have a 40% chance of storms between midday and 4pm but before and after that it’ll be fine and sunny 8-)

It’s fine and sunny here ... we have a likelihood of rain this afternoon ... the boiler is being serviced this afternoon so I’ll probably be knitting ... I’m going to make a cauliflower cheese for supper with the £1 cauliflower I bought last week ... that’ll be good with a jacket potato.

Yesterday was such a lovely day ... I have a sort of warm glow ... so nice sharing our home and garden with friends :hug: :wave: :D

Morning Ice :wave:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2019, 7:25 am

Good morning
It’s fine and sunny here but quite cold for August. We are threatened with the prospect of heavy showers especially during the afternoon. We had a complete downpour not long after I got in last night, hope Pat didn’t get get caught in it though these things are often quite local.

Got routine stuff to do then local backgammon club tonight

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 19th, 2019, 8:15 am

suffolk wrote:Moira my phone says you have a 40% chance of storms between midday and 4pm but before and after that it’ll be fine and sunny

That is the forecast for RAF Akrotiri, they have their own microclimate, I have sat on bench and watched a small storm sweep across the peninsula below me.

It is still a holiday week here so everything is very quiet. We were very surprised on Friday to see a branch of the Hellenic Bank closed, but it is the old Co-op bank.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 19th, 2019, 9:00 am

Good morning,
Wind, rain & sunny intervals are forecast for us today and so far the wind & rain are winning, though there is a very small patch of blue sky not too far away so fingers crossed.
I'm still feeling pretty grotty with the cold and will be happy to have another day pottering.
Yesterday it did dry up for a bit and I picked a load of runner & climbing beans which were quickly prepped and frozen :D . I also made a small batch of passatta, the first this year which I'll use this week. If tomatoes continue to ripen at the same rate I should be able to get a decent stash processed and frozen for use over coming months.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2019, 9:09 am

Ah, on investigation that forecast was for Paphos ... Souni has an 80% likelihood of storms for the same period :shock: .... perhaps a day trip to Paphos is called for ? ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2019, 9:09 am

We'll today is going to seem a bit of an anti-climax …. however, daughter, who is dealing with a flood in her flat (not of her doing), may be coming to stay with her cat until the problem is being dealt with. I think the cat may not settle in as fast as the dogs do. We will have to make the house escape proof as this daughter lives on a busy road and all her cats have been house cats . :rolleyes: :scared:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 19th, 2019, 9:23 am

A quick :wave:. We are just about to go out and hope to miss the rain which is due at lunchtime.

I have just moved my car - it still pings of cheese. I shall have to use Frebreze or something before I band it to the garage next week.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 19th, 2019, 9:24 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We had a very exciting start to the day when, at 7.45 and stripping the bed we saw out of our top floor bedroom window a blue and white striped hot air balloon hovering right in front of the window, so close we could hear the passengers and pilot talking - or rather yelling. They scraped over Francois' two storey house and apparently tried to land in Christian's garden in front of that. They couldn't do it because he has too many trees!
They finally managed to gain some height and their next effort was over the other side of the road and on towards the stream. However that would have meant landing in our reed bed sewage plant. So up they went again and finally made it in the field on the other side of the stream.
By this time , of course, the entire hameau was out watching the fun and shouting advice! They of course all know how to pilot a hot air balloon :lol: :lol: Meanwhile we had the grandstand view from our bedroom with the neighbours shouting up to ask us what wa going on.

We set off downstairs with the washing when out of window on the other side we saw, again flying low , 2 storks going from west to east.By this time I wouldn't have been in the least surprised if they had been carrying babies in neatly folded nappies ;) ;)

Glad all went well yesterday and that everyone had a fab time.
Last edited by Ratatouille on August 19th, 2019, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2019, 9:25 am

earthmaiden wrote: I shall have to use Frebreze or something before I band it to the garage next week.

Or a bowl of bicarb strategically placed ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2019, 10:26 am

EM. This stuff https://www.neutradol.com/products/original-gel will absorb any smell like magic ... it’s wonderful. Available from most supermarkets. Just put one under the car seat.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 19th, 2019, 10:34 am

suffolk wrote:Ah, on investigation that forecast was for Paphos ... Souni has an 80% likelihood of storms for the same period

The storm has been and gone, we are now waiting for power cuts.
I would love to see a hot air balloon :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2019, 11:43 am

What an entertaining morning Rats :shock: :lol: We often see hot air balloons floating past our window as they take off nearby, but so far they’ve always been above roof height and rising :tu:

We’re having leftover smoked mackerel pate on toast for lunch :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 19th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Wow Rats, that does sound exciting!

I went hot air ballooning once (one of those Virgin 'red letter day' trips). It was jolly good fun. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Just as well you don’t have any gooseberry bushes Rats! :D

The East Anglian contingent obviously relaxed me too much yesterday as I have a mild but persistent migraine.

So I’m doing gentle manual tasks, folding laundry and making bread rolls. So far I have rematches some muddled pairs of socks and finally found a use for the floppy silicone sheet that has languished in the kitchen drawer for over 15 years - it works in place of a plastic sheet or damp tea towel to cover the dough

We have had showers, now brilliant sun
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 19th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I think we may have had too much wine and not enough water yesterday ( not that we couldn't have had water of course!). I was terribly thirsty and drank masses of water when I got back.

The balloon incident sounds entertaining. Glad they managed to get to somewhere safe.

I expect a good airing will be good enough for the car :rolleyes:.

Those present at the picnic yesterday heard me mention that Peregrine falcons decided to nest on top of Cromer church tower this year (they are also on Norwich Cathedral and other tall places of course). With the help of the Hawk and Owl Trust a proper nesting area was set up with CCTV so that proceedings could be viewed. They set up a cafe in the church with a TV screen. The pair arrived in April and the first baby of three hatched at the end of May. They are grown and left the nest now. The cafe is still running and shows a film of the progression over the three months. At the time the adult birds could be seen regularly going backwards and forwards with foraged birds to eat (can there be any birds left in the area?!). Fascinating to watch the babies grow. They may repeat the process next year. It has been lucrative for the church!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 19th, 2019, 5:23 pm

good evening wild one.. OH and I have retired to the garden for a well earned G&T for me and a whiskey and water for him. ;) I managed to clear part of the greenhouse of weeds and cut back the tomatoes that looked like triffids :? plenty mare weeds to clear outside though :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 19th, 2019, 7:47 pm

A quick ellow from me! :wave:
Back to 'W' 2day.
Couldn't log in over the weekend as we've changed providers and only went 'live' today! :o
Looking forward to the weekend - it's the annual Brighouse Jigsaw Festival.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Night night all ... Zzzzzzz
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 20th, 2019, 5:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Grassy
Grasshopper wrote:it's the annual Brighouse Jigsaw Festival.
What happens at the Jigsaw Festival, obviously you do jigsaws, is it competitive?

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 20th, 2019, 5:47 am

It’s a lovely sunny morning 8-)
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop