Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby earthmaiden » August 20th, 2019, 6:12 am

Morning all! :wave. Sunny here too but I'm not properly awake yet.

There is a series on the East Anglian evening news this week about farming. They are following a family farm now headed by a man (now aged around 60) I last saw when he was about 6 years old - I wouldn't have recognised him :lol:.

I had to look up the jigsaw festival - amazed that people come from all over for it but nice it raises money for charity. Unlike my ma and DD, I am not a jigsaw person.

Have a lovely day We're visiting some gardens.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 20th, 2019, 6:36 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a bit overcast at the moment and it was trying to rain. British gas should be coming to do the annual boiler/heating service. Booked it in June so they better arrive :twisted: last time they didn't and it cost them £30 for the mix up. I also need to go to the shops for a few bits and Bob's :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 20th, 2019, 8:20 am

Morning everyone :wave:
It's cloudy and muggy here today but still not a drop of rain. No further balloon incidents today
but Mr R saw some more storks. They are obviously migrating but we are puzzled by them going from west to east.

I've got a load of ironing to do today but at least it is a little cooler/
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 20th, 2019, 8:41 am

Ah, here you are, couldn’t log in earlier
Good morning
We have sun too, will go for a walk soon

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 20th, 2019, 8:56 am

I googled the Jigsaw Festival, I see that they suggest that you retain your programme so that you can return as often as you like, free. How very reasonable. I suspect that they actually make more money that way as people return and buy something else, if only a cup of tea.
I do on line jigsaws, notably the one on Facebook, it's free.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » August 20th, 2019, 8:59 am

StokeySue wrote:Ah, here you are, couldn’t log in earlier

me neither, only just been able to.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 20th, 2019, 9:29 am

Aha! You’re back again :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 20th, 2019, 9:32 am

:wave: So it wasn't something I said!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 20th, 2019, 9:46 am

I’ve had to get on with some proper stufff ... :rolleyes: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 20th, 2019, 10:19 am

Raining again, we shall be having supper indoors again tonight, yesterday's rain soaked the outside chair cushions so we would have had soggy bottoms. We could have bought the cushions in before it rained but felt that was tempting fate. Of course the rain has bought down the dust, the car and all the windows are filthy

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 20th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Rainy morning here but rain has stopped and a sunny afternoon is forecast. Hurrah!! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 20th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Good evening everyone,
What Rats, you don't get balloons here as it's too near the airport so never see them. I've never been in one and am quite happy with that ;) but they do look amazing. :)
Late on parade as I spent a good chunk of today at my Dad's cleaning and gardening before returning home for a much needed snooze. The weather, apart from a few showers, has been ok today so I'm not long in from attacking my briar patch which was rampaging after all the recent rain. There's loads of brambles this year and so far I've picked just shy of a kilo and there's lots still to ripen. They're in the freezer until I need them for bramble gin in a few weeks.
The kids were back to school today and it was the first day for the wee lad a few doors up who had a very loud meltdown because he has to go back tomorrow ..... If only he knew :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've an easy dinner prepared for tonight - spicy courgette & tomato which I'll top with feta and a poached egg with a pitta to dip. I usually have it with halloumi but fancied a change and I have feta needing used up.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 20th, 2019, 8:04 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, Grassy
Grasshopper wrote:it's the annual Brighouse Jigsaw Festival.
What happens at the Jigsaw Festival, obviously you do jigsaws, is it competitive?

Moira :mug:

Nonononono :lol: , the jigsaws are already done, except the new ones in boxes. Every year, over the August Bank Holiday weekend, hundreds of built and boxed jigsaws are sold at St. Martin's church in Brighouse, in aid of local charities. Any donated jigsaws that have bits missing, will get replacement bits made before the jigsaw is sold. There are all sorts of sizes, shapes, themes & piece counts, and even some 3d ones.

Google 'Brighouse Jigsaw Festival' and have a look :tu: :D

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

My best friend lives in the Chilterns and gets balloonists over all the time. They are forever getting lost or landing in the fields behind her house because something’s gone wrong.

You wouldn’t get me up in one!!!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 20th, 2019, 9:19 pm

I’ve got to get up early tomorrow and get the car to the garage for 9am. She’s Having a pre Cornwall checkiver, given our horrid Dartford Tunnel experience last month .... sooooo night night all ... sweet dreams ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 21st, 2019, 5:21 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, nice breeze here this morning. The road outside is quiet again, the holiday weeks continue, yesterday driving in Limassol was great, few heavy trucks.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 21st, 2019, 6:07 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I’m awake and drinking coffee ... I’ll be up in a few minutes ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 21st, 2019, 6:32 am

Morning all! :wave:. Lovely day, no rain forecast. We'll be off out once all the usual morning things are done.

We went to a lovely woodland place yesterday and spent a while on a seat overlooking a lovely pond with insects, butterflies and huge dragonflies all going about their business in the sunshine.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 21st, 2019, 6:47 am

Good morning wild ones. It's grey and overcast, looks like rain :rolleyes: I shall be in the greenhouse clearing out and weeding. I have done two thirds, It's like painting the forth road bridge, I get to the end and have to start at the beginning again 8-)
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 21st, 2019, 7:49 am

Good morning
Sunny here with some cloud drifting through
Need to get moving as I have a meeting this morning
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 21st, 2019, 8:35 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It was blessedly cool last night and we both slept like loga.

WE are having annoying problems with our internet because last week's mamoth download for my windows 10 used up all the satellite internet capacity for the month and the alternative Livebox keeps going down and has to be rebooted each time.

Mr R needs a new laptop but is reluctant to switch to Windows 10 because of my problems.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 21st, 2019, 8:45 am

Ratatouille wrote:Mr R needs a new laptop but is reluctant to switch to Windows 10 because of my problem

If Mr R is buying a new laptop it will probably come preloaded with Windows 10 which will save a lot of aggravation. We have had the same problem with the Windows massive download but luckily our service comes via the telephone cables.
Deb has gone to inspect the new sub branch of IKEA.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 21st, 2019, 9:25 am

Good morning everyone,
Your sit by the pond sounds idyllic EM :D .
It was sunny when I got up but the clouds and wind are building so turning wet & wild again. I'm still feeling a bit "wabbit" with the cold so more than happy to have a quiet day. After I finish my :mug: I'll do the bin run & water the greenhouse before the rain kicks in. Apart from that I've no plans but might be brave and tackle the ir*ning ;) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 21st, 2019, 9:40 am

My laptop came with Windows 10 which is where the trouble started. I don't have the choice of when to start downloads and if I'm on the the satellite
I can't switch to Livebox. We have both because of the total unreliability of Oranges internet coverage hereespped is positively homeopathic. We were promised le fibre back in April but this has been put back to next year.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 21st, 2019, 11:48 am

Ratatouille wrote: We were promised le fibre back in April but this has been put back to next year.

Sounds dreadful Rats, because Cyprus came late to modern telecommunications up to date equipment was installed. However I was on dialup internet for a couple of years then when we moved to Pissouri there was no telephone connection to our house so no internet. We used mobile phones and a local microwave connection, there were great problems with the latter especially at this time of year. Pissouri has a free wi fi system using that facility, it is very busy at this time of year meaning that we could not get TV either as that is received via wi fi.
For the record we used to get satellite tv using a 3 metre dish :!: The satellite was moved, we lost tv.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 21st, 2019, 12:20 pm

Afternoon wild ones :wave: The sun is out and the weeding completed :D The greenhouse looks quite bare, just the tomatoes and cauliflowers oh and chillies left in there. Peppers are harvested and the tenderstem broccoli ditched, it just wasn't right. I am going to be stiff as a board later :shock:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 21st, 2019, 12:23 pm

Well, as I suspected, the car needs some work done before our trip to Cornwall ... a track rod and tie rod, front brake pads, an oil change and a sidelight bulb ... all booked in for Tuesday :tu:

Now to read back and see what’s been going on ....
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 21st, 2019, 12:23 pm

Hello Wildies! :wave:

Sunny here too. Rain tomorrow but then all is set fair for a fine weekend so we shall be going for a hill walk on Saturday :D

Just a quick visit as must get on with some wood-staining in our lovely new garden whilst the weather holds...
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 21st, 2019, 2:51 pm

Just back from the hairdressers, Valentina and her assistant were talking in Greek, I could understand enough to know that one of them had been cooking pasta and that an oven was involved.The assistant had been making a pasta bake, not my choice at this time of year but each to her own. A cooking discussion followed which involved me giving a simple recipe for Coronation Chicken with instructions that you have cook the curry powder or it tastes terrible, mango chutney is good but not essential.
It seems that when Valentina was working in London, her elderly neighbour used to make her Coronation Chicken sandwiches, the chicken was cooked from scratch.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 21st, 2019, 5:22 pm

Hello everybody :wave:

Seems ages since I was last here as so much has happened … most of you will know by now that my ex lost his fight against cancer yesterday morning. Despite daughter having the extra stress and hassle of her flat being flooded by plumbing in her ceiling, fate did play a hand and she has moved in with me until the remedial works can be carried out .. so, she was at mine when she got the call to tell her that her Dad didn't have long - I was able to drive her up to see him and she was able to say her goodbyes. Since then she has been running on adrenaline …. he bought her a new laptop/tablet and she felt the need to get that all set up, then she wanted to write her next essay about Maple Cross Nature reserve for talking books for the blind, then she wanted to start writing her Dad's eulogy … I feel exhausted ! :( :cry: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 21st, 2019, 5:25 pm

Patsy.... I saw the news on FB as you know, but just wanted to again pass on my condolences to you both.... :hug: :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 21st, 2019, 7:42 pm

Patsy :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 21st, 2019, 8:01 pm

As you say fate, I heard the story of the plumbing on Sunday
I think it's probably good that she is with you, but you must be treading like Agag in eggs round her, can't be easy for anyone involved
I saw the post on FB, a lovely picture of daughter and her dad

Take care of yourself as well as her :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 21st, 2019, 8:35 pm

Sending you much love Patsy, it can’t be an easy situation for you. :hug:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 21st, 2019, 8:37 pm

Patsy :hug: :hug: :hug:
liketocook
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » August 21st, 2019, 8:39 pm

Sorry for you both Patsy. Take care.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 21st, 2019, 9:01 pm

Patsy :hug: :hug: :hug:

Another early start tomorrow so night night all ... sweet dreams ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 21st, 2019, 9:22 pm

Pasty- I too already commented on FB but lots of :hug: :hug:. Hope all goes well in the days ahead.

Ouch Suffs! That sounds expensive. :(

I shall never complain about the service from Virgin again (until next time!). Worried at what my new Windows 10 has in store though :?.

Home tomorrow. We've been to the museum at Kings Lynn today to see Seahenge.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 21st, 2019, 10:26 pm

Pasty :hug: :hug: :hug:

A late one for me tonight. I have become addicted to watching CBS Reality. I won't watch past 11pm though on a school night.

Nite all zzz
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2019, 4:51 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I’m wide awake ... got an early start as I’m visiting the practice nurse re a medical trial I’m going to take part in over the next few weeks. I’ve also got a few bits of shopping to do and will meet up with OH for an early lunch ... The Lamb beckons :lol:

EM :D I don’t think it’s expensive ... the quote is under £350 including the oil etc. I’ve not spent anything on the car other than MOT fees and tyres in the last three years ... not bad for a 14 year old car. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones.
I am glad that you are able to support your daughter, Patsy.
Suffs, that is good for 14 year old car, especially as we had to replace our 4 year old car because of gear box problems.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 22nd, 2019, 6:30 am

Good morning wild ones. :hug: :hug: :hug: Pasty and daughter, take care. I am back on the food shopping game again today :rolleyes: I don't know where it all goes ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » August 22nd, 2019, 6:32 am

Patsy. :hug: :hug: :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 22nd, 2019, 6:54 am

Morning all! :wave:.
I'm afraid I think of all car outgoings as expensive even if they are fair and good value.

Another lovely day, I'll be wending my way home. It's been a lovely week.

I forgot to mention that after eating salad left from the Wildie meet for 2 further meals (tomato, pepper, cucumber and radish and carrot raisin & orange juice) we put the remainder into the soup maker with an onion and it made a really delicious soup! It is in the freezer for F. to enjoy for a couple of winter lunches.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 22nd, 2019, 8:13 am

Morning Wildies :wave:

Raining here (ah Cumbria!! :D ) but yesterday was fine (managed to finish wood-staining the border edge and very nice it looks too) and the weekend is looking lovely (so a hill walk is planned- hurrah!!)

Off to Penrith in a mo- will run in, have a swim, do some shopping and walk home. Keeps me fit anyway.... :)

Have a lovely day all :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 22nd, 2019, 10:13 am

I have just put in order into Lakeland. Unfortunately they no longer send the items that we really want, vanilla paste, almond essence abroad. I have made do with heavy duty freezer bags, a new julienne cutter and less exciting items . I shall now have fun tracing my order across Europe.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 22nd, 2019, 10:26 am

Good morning everyone,
Looks as though today's weather is going to be a repeat of yesterday's- sunny in the morning then wet and windy for the rest of the day. I had a couple of errands to run so got them out of the way while it was dry. It's now time for a much needed :mug: before I go and pick more beans then water the greenhouse. After that the weather can do what it likes!
I managed to put off ir*ning yesterday by tidying out my larder cupboard. I discovered a random tin of OOD artichoke hearts that I'm 99% sure I didn't buy :? , I can only think one of the kids bought them for some reason. As I'm making a pizza tonight I'll pop a few on that then decide what to do with the rest tomorrow.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 22nd, 2019, 12:35 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Quite a morning here again but first :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to Pat anf Wendy. I am sure you are taking care of each other. It's strange how an apparent disaster, like a flood, can be fortuitous in another way.

I'm not a weeper at all, sometimes too much the other way. However I found my eyes full of tears this morning when GS who has had, as some of you know a dreadful year with mental health problems including admission to a CAMs unit and , as well as ADHD was diagnosed with ASD. has got all of his GCSEs with the lowesr grade being 5 (an old C) and the best 7s for sciences. I can't praise his teachers, the NHS CAMs service in his area and most of all him for overcoming the obstacles and proving to him that he is valued and valuable and just a lovely lad. = Not that I'm a biased granny of course :D
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 22nd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Thank you everybody for your comments, I am sorry I seem to have hijacked this thread .. :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I am sorry I seem to have hijacked this thread .. :rolleyes:

No you haven't :hug:
:hug:
Grasshopper