Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby StokeySue » June 9th, 2019, 3:07 pm

D90E9186-CD2C-4AD1-BBA8-C602E204DAB9.jpeg

There used to be a Turkish Cypriot wedding palace called simply Ak Saray , the palace here

Oh dear Rats + for the Brexit box, - for the curry

Course sounds great em!

The photo is of a panel discussion on New French Food I’ve just been to. L to R Alex James, Wilf (the star of course), Felicity Cloake, and Diana Henry
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 9th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Worrying news. I hope people will be ok. Quite horrible but thank goodness it's not a tower block. I'm sure I read of another the other day too. :( . Fingers crossed for the residents and those brave firefighters.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby nursemimi » June 9th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Hello all it rained her again this morning warm and sunny now.
But the yard is a swamp and there are chances of rain off and on all week :twisted:
If it does I shall have to get a boat!!
It sounds like everyone is having a lovely weekend . :hi5:

Expect for those poor souls in London in the fire
They are in my thoughts today.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 9th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Ellow! :wave:
Had a really good trip to the flicks yesterday, despite the weather. We went to our latest cinema, 'The Light'. WHAT a difference to Cineworld!!! Each auditorium has only a small number of seats (ours had about 36). There is LOADS of legroom and each pair of seats has space to put drinks & snacks. Sis & me saw the new version of 'Aladdin' - good film! A quick tip tho: Book in advance. Screenings can be sold out.

Had a really good day out in Harrogate last week too - but I got a SHOCK!
I found a POUNDLAND!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

A POUNDLAND in HARROGATE???? I always thought the place was uber posh!

:shock:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Back at the hotel after third day at the car festival in Sweden. There were over 1000 cars in the small town! Sadly it rained a lot, but there were places to hide when necessary! :)

Set off for home tomorrow, Denmark, Germany with a visit to the RAF Museum in Laarbruch - aka Weeze Airport - aka Ryanair Dusseldorf :o where OH's father was the chaplain for a couple of years. Then on to Waterloo - the one in Belgium!! - and home.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » June 10th, 2019, 5:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I hope that the rain holds off for you, Aero.
A bit cloudy and murky here, Nicosia is threatened with storms today, I wonder if I will hear thunder in he mountains?

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 10th, 2019, 5:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I was expecting to wake to torrential rain, but the morning is very still and overcast ... it has an air of prescience... the birds are quiet, as if they are waiting for something ... just the gentle sound of next door neighbour’s daughter clipping the domed evergreens, getting the place ready to sell ... and a blackbird who has something to announce to the world ...

At last OH has some proper time off ... a whole week, starting today :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 10th, 2019, 6:47 am

Good morning wild ones. We starred off sunny yesterday, then came the rain for most of the day into the night. I was up at 4.30am and we had pea soup fog. The Sun is peeping through now and the fog has gone. BUT, the weather report says rain sweeping in and will last all week. This time last year it was scorching hot :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 10th, 2019, 6:51 am

Yesterday, I heard a couple of celebrity chefs pronounce the "G" in "tagliatelle". I've always thought it should be silent - but then again I've heard "chewmeric" and "papperika". I know the second two are wrong, but I could have been making an embarrassing mistake over taglietelle.
Gruney
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 10th, 2019, 6:54 am

Morning Gruney :wave: how's the dog ?
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » June 10th, 2019, 7:02 am

6887B401-CC49-4F37-8CD6-0F7DFA0665C7.jpeg
6887B401-CC49-4F37-8CD6-0F7DFA0665C7.jpeg
Morning all. Yesterday was very odd. Woke up to a phone call at 7am by a friend telling me our colleague was found dead the night before. :(

She was a very prominent lady within the community and was a trustee of numerous charities. There will obviously be a post-mortem but it will show natural causes as she had been ill on and off for many years. A very special lady who will be sorely missed.

We have the first of many trustee meetings today to continue her work. :hug:

I had lost my cooking mojo recently but got an urge yesterday. I cooked lamb rogan josh, bombay aloo, mushroom bahji and a special pilau rice with mushrooms, onions and peppers together with a tomato, onion and mint salsa. :drool:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 10th, 2019, 7:16 am

Morning all! :wave:. I think a lot of pronunciations have become anglicised to the degree that they are acceptable nowadays. To be fair, if you have only read the words before it is sometimes difficult, few of us are masters of all languages.

Sounds like a lovely break aero.

Good to hear that everyone was saved from the fire. It sounds as though wooden balconies were a factor. I do sometimes wonder about some building materials. In the recent series, The Street, all sorts of materials were used and I did wonder how fire retardant some of them were.

The sun is out here, if I hadn't seen the forecast I'd think it was going to be a nice day. Off to a committee meeting today which will probably spill over into early afternoon.

Edited to say :hug: jrc. Cooking is wonderful therapy when you have had such news. You certainly went to town!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 10th, 2019, 7:45 am

icelesley wrote:Morning Gruney :wave: how's the dog ?

Morning Iceleslesley. Thanks for asking - he's back to normal now; stitches all healed well. I can't tell you how great it is to have him back nudging and pestering. :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 10th, 2019, 8:51 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The rain is holding off but the forecast is no exactly confidence making.

jrc you obviously have your cooking mojo back big time. I wish the "curry" that was served on Saturday looked a quarter as good. Proper sides too especially. Have you ever been served chopped hard boild egg and bacon(!) bits along with a sliced bananas and raisins?

Aero have a good drive back

Gruney I'm so happy for you and the dog. :hug:

Suffs what have you got planned for the week? It's a bank holiday here and the last official day of the Corso I'm concentrating on getting the laundry hung outside in case the meteo is correct.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 10th, 2019, 8:59 am

Nothing really planned ... I know OH wants to spend some ‘proper time’ in the studio ... we’ll probably just take each day as it comes ... doing whatever takes our fancy ... perhaps going out on a whim... depending to some degree on the weather of course ... we’ll be impetuous and impulsive 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 10th, 2019, 9:20 am

suffolk wrote: ... we’ll be impetuous and impulsive 8-)

Which is by far the besy way to be if and when you get the chance :tu: :hi5:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 10th, 2019, 9:35 am

I bet your impetuosity will include fish and chips at the seaside :tu:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 10th, 2019, 9:53 am

Good morning all

We’ve had your torrential rain Suffolk , still going though more gently now

That curry meal looks great jrc but sorry to hear about you colleague

Quiet day today after the excitement of the weekend. The events I went to yesterday were Lee Jackson talking about Victorian leisure time, if you have any interest in Victorian social history Lee is your man and he’s a great talker and nice man, the book is called Pleasure Palaces. Then the French Food, see I posted the wrong pic that’s just Felicity and Wilf, then a discussion with several authors including the guy who writes the adult Famous Five books, very funny. They over ran a bit so I didn’t go to hear Zawe Ashton but had some food. Then met up with friends at Bikini Beach Band, a Stokey institution. Then Billy Bragg talking (mainly very seriously and politically) with Suzanne Moore about life and his new book. Was also very funny, great anecdotes, the guy is a natural performer, he could do stand up if he wanted. Interesting compare and contrast with Alan Johnson the night befor

Then home for highlights of the French Open.

Today normal life resumes.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby jrc » June 10th, 2019, 10:09 am

Ratatouille wrote:Morning everyone :wave:

The rain is holding off but the forecast is no exactly confidence making.

jrc you obviously have your cooking mojo back big time. I wish the "curry" that was served on Saturday looked a quarter as good. Proper sides too especially. Have you ever been served chopped hard boild egg and bacon(!) bits along with a sliced bananas and raisins?

Aero have a good drive back

Gruney I'm so happy for you and the dog. :hug:

Suffs what have you got planned for the week? It's a bank holiday here and the last official day of the Corso I'm concentrating on getting the laundry hung outside in case the meteo is correct.

Our local curry house does do a curry with a whole hard boiled egg in the middle but I have never been brave enough. :sprout:
jrc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 10th, 2019, 10:27 am

jrc, sorry to hear about your colleague but my goodness, what a fantastic looking curry! :chops:

Rats- I can just about get the chopped hard boiled eggs (depending on the curry) but bacon??? :shock: Lordy- no wonder you were struggling with it all! Reminds me of an occasion years ago when Mr S and I were invited for dinner by a couple we knew at the time. Neither of us shall never forget it. Bless her, she made chilli & rice (watery mince, probably around half a teaspoon of chilli powder, under-cooked onions, over-cooked cold rice that was all stuck together) followed by baked bananas (just baked bananas on their own). :sprout: How we managed to make appreciative noises is beyond me.

Wet here today but rest of the week looking better (showery but sunny spells). Suffs- hope you and The Artist get some nice weather but sure you'll thoroughly enjoy your week together anyway. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 10th, 2019, 10:40 am

jrc wrote:Our local curry house does do a curry with a whole hard boiled egg in the middle but I have never been brave enough.

Curried eggs (egg roast) are a Kerala staple, delicious. Also a student staple, jar of Patak’s sauce and 2 or 3 eggs each plus rice or naan, supper sorted

Must have skipped over that bit of Rats’ post. The only sides I’ve ever encountered with authentic Thai curry (in London or Bangkok)are fried peanuts, fresh herbs, lime to squeeze, sliced chilli or some chilli preparation to add, perhaps bean sprouts. A little salad, more often served as a starter than a side. All the pavement cafes in Bangkok had coffee jars as vases for huge bouquets of fresh herbs so diners could help themselves.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby jrc » June 10th, 2019, 10:49 am

27A35AD1-609F-4E59-B939-37A26655984B.jpeg

Remember part of Bobs birthday? :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 10th, 2019, 10:51 am

StokeySue wrote:The only sides I’ve ever encountered with authentic Thai curry (in London or Bangkok)are fried peanuts, fresh herbs, lime to squeeze, sliced chilli or some chilli preparation to add, perhaps bean sprouts. A little salad, more often served as a starter than a side. All the pavement cafes in Bangkok had coffee jars as vases for huge bouquets of fresh herbs so diners could help themselves.

:chops: Ate at a branch of Pho recently, and was very impressed with the fresh herbs, etc, that they provide on the side. Lovely.

jrc- I remember it well! :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 10th, 2019, 10:55 am

Ratatouille wrote:jrc you obviously have your cooking mojo back big time. I wish the "curry" that was served on Saturday looked a quarter as good. Proper sides too especially. Have you ever been served chopped hard boild egg and bacon(!) bits along with a sliced bananas and raisins?

That's a blast from the past! I don't want to go into detail, but I was once served it in a military mess, many years ago. Absolutely the best curry I've ever tasted.
Gruney
Registered

Postby jrc » June 10th, 2019, 11:10 am

Gruney :hug:
Glad woof is back on track. :hi5:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 10th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Some of the best curries I have eaten have been in the officers' mess as guests of S-I-L especially when the cooks where Ghurkas.

I think the only herb in evidence on Saturday was a leaf of flat leaf parsely on top of the rice, Neither was there any lime or even lemon come to that.

Now curried eggs are one of our go-to suppers when the hens are laying well. that's fine, but a bowl of chopped hb egg??
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 10th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I think that the chopped tomato, sliced banana, sultanas etc are a relic of Anglo Indian Raj style cookery. My mother always served those with curries, interestingly her curry knowledge derived from when my father was stationed in Iraq in the late 1940s, they ate in the Officers Mess where there were Indian cooks.

I eventually made a Quiche Lorraine this morning. I say eventually because I had to chuck out the first lot of pastry, I could not get to roll out properly. I had made it by rubbing in very soft butter into the flour, I think that the butter was too soft. The second lot was made with straight from the fridge butter in the food processor, that worked, no probs. The quiche is cooling in oven with the door kept ajar with a wooden spoon, there are marauding cats about

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 10th, 2019, 1:21 pm

That's just what Mr R said Moira. It reminded him of the curries his mother, who was an RAF wife, made. He was astonished when he tasted the real thing - or as near as you could get in in London in the 60s.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm

My dad was the same. He loved that sort of curry, which had to be accompanied by sultanas, desecrated coconut ( ;) ), sliced egg, etc.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 10th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Good evening everyone,
The curry sounds very much like the ones my Great-Aunt used to make with the chopped eggs etc., her and my Great Uncle lived in Sri Lanka for most their married life before retiring back to the UK in the mid-60s. She used to make "coconut milk" from infusing evaporated milk with dessicated coconut. My Great Uncle used to add liberal quantities of English Mustard to spice it up a bit :? . I used to love all the little side dishes :) .
Lovely and sunny here until about an hour ago when it suddenly clouded over and we had thundery short shower of rain & hail! It has cleared the air a bit as it had very muggy. I spent ages earlier applying weedkiller to my Dad's patio & gravel, I do hope it had "taken" before the rain came.
I have a day to myself tomorrow before back to my Dad's on Wednesday, the forecast looks okish which I hope is right as there is quiet a bit I want to do in the garden and I must sort out the jungle my greenhouse is rapidly becoming and get the tomato plants tamed ;) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 10th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Brrrr! It's 16.5 degrees in my sitting room in mid-June :evil:. Nice time at the committee meeting - the people whose house we were at gave us a lovely bread, cheese and salad lunch followed by cake :chops:. Nice surprise.

My life-long dislike of Indian curry started with mother's and school efforts - I only liked the sultanas ;). Thai and far eastern curries were a revelation. I remember curried egg being a fancy vol au vent filling in the early 70's.

Glad doggie is doing well Gruney. :bounce:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 10th, 2019, 8:47 pm

My first knowledge of curry was Heinz Curried Beans!! :o They tasted OK but it meant that everyone would put sultanas into a curry thereafter for many years!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » June 10th, 2019, 10:47 pm

I put those 'additions' curries in a different box to the authentic type of curries we know of today. A bit life trying to compare retsina to wine - cannot be done ! Different animals.

After a traumatic evening last night where strong words (not from me) were banded about and various emails with builder/plumber, we had a plumber on site this morning at 8.15am, which as of last night, we were not expecting! My emotions were pretty high and a tear was shed and a hug was exchanged. Builder arrived and then the kitchen gang turned up. By 1pm the problem water pipes had been re-routed and various other plumbing areas in the Hobbit House had been addressed.

Tonight, 1st fix electrics have been done and tomorrow the plasterer arrives and we are back on track after a bit of a traumatic Sunday.....

This is the last time I go down this road........

Sally Anne is running the rest of the gang ragged...... she just wants to play and they are not having any of it....

Sleep well all...

Moira, I now fancy quiche....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 10th, 2019, 10:56 pm

I remember Rick Stein being quite shocked in his India series when one of his contacts actually put raisins into a Mughal curry, he thought it was only what English mums and aunties did

I have encountered the little side dishes - toppings really- with Anglo Indian curries but never chopped egg for some reason

Egg roast (egg curry) recipe, it doesn’t have to be coconut oil, tasteless veg oil is fine
https://www.yummyoyummy.com/2011/01/kerala-egg-roast-nadan-mutta-roast.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 11th, 2019, 5:24 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, fascinating how one country interprets anothers food. Here you only meet moussaka in tavernas not at home. I remember talking to an elderly British lady, she had lived on the island for many years, married to a Cypriot. Her MIL had made many of the typical dishes, moussaka, pasticheo, dolmades using very little meat, which was always lamb, basically just a thin layer of sauce.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 11th, 2019, 7:23 am

Morning all! :wave:. I think that many of the dishes we enjoy are generous interpretations of 'peasant food' which would have originally eked out available ingredients.

It looks as though some areas are deep in water - hope Wildies are all ok.The forecast for the next few days looks horrible.

Odd jobs to do today and meeting GD from nursery later.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 11th, 2019, 7:29 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining, :rolleyes: what do you think about the BBC tv license charge for over 75's I think It's a disgrace, for some TV is their lifeline. It's time the BBC dragged themselves into the 21st century and started putting adverts on to pay their shortfall to the bigwigs taking millions for doing very little. Or sack a few bosses. Let's face it most of the programs are repeats so what are any of us paying for.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2019, 7:30 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

As you say EM ... ‘generous interpretations’ ... very generous ... the amount of ragu or other sauce served piled up on top of pasta here in the UK is huge compared with the small amount used to simply ‘coat the pasta’
In a traditional Italian serving.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 11th, 2019, 8:01 am

icelesley wrote: what do you think about the BBC tv license charge for over 75's I think It's a disgrace,

it will still be free for the over 75's who receive pension credits so i think it's quite fair, really. people are living longer and working longer, and those with work pensions, if they wish to watch telly are likely to be able to afford the, what, four pounds a week? it's not a huge amount if you compare it to a packet of fags, bottle of wine, etc.
it also includes the radio, access to all the iplayer stuff, the other stuff online - and thankfully, no adverts.
it's entertainment, not really a lifeline, and i, personally think it's not a great deal to pay for what we get.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 11th, 2019, 8:07 am

I'm not sure what I think about the TV licence. There is no real need for those on a comfortable income to get it free but it is always those just above the free threshold who suffer and I imagine many, many people would fall into that category. I have been reading up on pension credit, it looked simple at first sight but not so much on further investigation. Not surprised that people don't take it up, for a start the very elderly are more likely to have difficulty with an online form.

I suspect days/years could be numbered for the BBC as we know it, already it isn't the one we knew and the world is changing so fast.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 11th, 2019, 8:07 am

My MIL is 95, she doesn't smoke or drink, she is housebound doesn't get pension credits and her TV is a lifeline for her, she knows what is going on in the world. Without it she would just sit in a chair looking out of a window waiting to die.
icelesley
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 11th, 2019, 8:20 am

I think the removal of the free license is very mean spirited. A good leveller downwards.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 11th, 2019, 8:39 am

Morning everyone :wave:

If it's any consolation it is raining here too. The car is covered in Sahara dust/mud again.

I think the license fee is about as fair as it can be. it wasn't really the BBC's decision after the last review. The real problem is the impossible complicated process of accessing benefits like pension credit. I eem to remeber that one used to be able to buy stamps to use to pay towards your license. I had an very elderly and not at all wealthy relation and we used to buy her tamps and give her a full card for Christmas. I think the trouble is that the powers wot be have failed to appreciate that , no-matter what your age, not everyone ha, or wants. access to the internet. My cuz who is nearly the same age as me has never owned or learned how to use a computer and I don;t own a smart phone - no point when it can't be used.

Thanks for the recipe Sue - that looks good, Aero, my first experience of curry was baked beans too. It nearly put me off anything called curry for life :sprout: The French don't get it at all the nearest the even top chefs get is a sauce Indien which has a very small amount of very mild and very yellow curry powder .
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2019, 8:48 am

I don’t understand why people think that those of us who pay for a TV licence should fund what is essentially a Benefit? There are people of influence (politicians, newspaper and media owners etc) who are out to break the BBC in order to further their own business interests.

The government decides what the TV Licence costs and then decrees that a large amount of that money should be used to fund a Benefit that, in my opinion, is not the BBC’s responsibility. This is, in effect, a huge reduction in BBC funding. Sneaky and wrong IMO.

Have you read the letter from the BBC Director General? I have and I don’t think they had any choice ... it’s what I would’ve done had it been my responsibility.

Ice ... if your mum won’t be able to afford a TV licence then maybe she should be getting Pension Credits?
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2019, 8:54 am

By the way ... it is quite possible to pay for a TV licence for another address online ... IME many parents of students do this in order to avoid ‘problems’ :rolleyes: I don’t think it’s necessary for the resident to know.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

Good morning
It has stopped raining, but it’s still quite cold

The TV licence is only £3 a week, I hope I’ll be able to continue to afford that after 75, it seems a very reasonable cost.

I am worried though that someone has their beady eye on travel benefits

Better go and make more coffee
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 11th, 2019, 9:44 am

Hi all … been a bit busy the last few days, mainly because I have booked a last minute holiday to Zante to accompany the weekend man … luckily I was able to get a room in the same hotel and also a seat on the same flight. He has been going to Tsilivi in Zante for the last 20 years and knows people there - mainly those who return year after year and a couple of bar/hotel owners … so we shall see ;) I know Zante seems to have a reputation for youngsters partying, but hopefully Tsilivi is a outside the main party area :lol: 8-)

I am 3 years away from getting the free tv licence, however, as I have both a private and state pension, both index linked, there's no reason I can't continue to afford it. I also think that the cold weather payment could be discontinued for many pensioners too. However, I will not be happy if they take away free travel .. I find that so useful.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby jrc » June 11th, 2019, 9:54 am

Aww Patsy. Son used to live in Tsilivi for about five seasons. One of both his (and dad’s) favourite restaurants was called Roses and Wine.

Second to Australia, Zante is his second choice to live. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 11th, 2019, 10:15 am

Travel benefits is a difficult one, if you live in rural areas they are basically of no benefit ;) . We don’t have a bus service of any kind so whilst you can qualify for a free bus pass it’s not a lot of good if there are no busses. I know that we are by no means the only part of the country in this situation.

I did read the Director General letter and agree with Suffs.............it’s what I would have done in the circumstances and decided after public consultation.

BB
Busybee
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop