Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2019, 6:52 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Blue skies and sunshine here in Norfolk ... OH will be working today so I’ll make the bread and do a load of washing today ... the boiler engineer is due tomorrow so that’ll leave the kitchen free for him then.

Supper will be roast beef and Yorkshire pud etc ... ‘something’ has triggered an urge for it :drool: I bought a piece of beef from the really good butchers stall on the market ... it’s been hung for over four weeks ... it’s a cut I’ve not bought before ... Corner Rump ... the butcher said that you don’t often see it on a butchers counter because it’s a favourite with butchers ... the only reason this piece was because his boss was late visiting the stall that day ... normally he’d take it home with him ... anyone else know Corner Rump? Googling hasn’t revealed anything helpful.
Last edited by suffolk on July 7th, 2019, 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 7th, 2019, 7:22 am

Bread has been proving overnight. I must get up and deal with it. It’s a very slow rise and we need it for lunch...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2019, 7:36 am

Morning all! :wave:. As I crossed the Wiltshire border on the way home last night, the weather changed from bright sunshine to thick cloud. Quite a shock after the past few days. It looks as though today will be nice but cooler. I am spending the afternoon at a small gathering at GD's in the garden with a paddling pool so I hope it's just right.

Must do some shopping too. I'm still trying the 'plant based' diet (most of the time) and have mushrooms to use up. I may make a mushroom stew thing which I made for the first time recently. It was very tasty.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2019, 7:55 am

Breadmaking happening here too ... but just our usual wholemeal with honey and pumpkin seeds, so only one rising of an hour (ish). It’s our everyday bread nowadays ... we love the texture and flavour and we find it suits our ‘systems’ better than most bought bread ... we only buy a loaf if we go to one of the really good small bakers that are dotted around.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 7th, 2019, 9:11 am

Suffs, I think that cut of beef is what my Mother used to buy every week. Her butcher called it a ‘corner piece’. Obviously there are two on each beast, he kept one for himself, and kept the other one for Ma. She roasted it rare, and it was always very tasty, tender and juicy. He described it as the bit of rump that the farmer always patted. The cuts of meat are different here in Scotland, I always get a blank stare when I try to get it here. Do report back....
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2019, 9:31 am

Thanks Patpoyntz :D that sounds like it :tu:
I’m really looking forward to it :drool: I would usually buy a piece of rolled rib of roast beef for just the two of us ... I’m not a big fan of topside for a roast. However the butcher only had rib on the bone on Friday and that’s a bit too much for just two even if we are always hungry :oops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2019, 10:12 am

How nice it would be to eat a nice roast without having to cook it or wash up today!

I am in a quandary. I have already sought independent professional advice and decided how I want to handle my work pension. The forms to sign have arrived and then someone at work yesterday who is old enough to draw some of his pot without retiring, put the cat amongst the pigeons by telling me that a whole group of them in the same situation have found a 'wonderful' advisor who has promised the moon for a fee and that I would be mad not to speak to him. I need income from my full pot and don't want to gamble or have to think about it too much. My feeling is that if I take out the % I am allowed and give it to him anything could happen to it over the years, especially with Brexit etc. I know that the money will not be available to others as a legacy of I leave it in but on the other hand it won't be available to drain if I need to go in a home either. Am I mad to leave it all in? I wouldn't if I could afford to lose it. The advisor I saw decided that in my case I was doing the right thing. Aaarrgh!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 7th, 2019, 10:16 am

EM, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is, IMHO I would steer well clear.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2019, 10:30 am

Good morning

I will roast a nice Norfolk black chicken later with lots of fresh herbs from my pots and serve with an artichoke and broad bean mix.

We’ve had loads of rain overnight, the steady stuff that makes the grass grow.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2019, 11:10 am

Chinchilla_lady wrote:EM, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is, IMHO I would steer well clear.

That’s my thought too ... there have been some scary stories in our local press about a scam where an apparently respectable IFA swindled folks out of their pensions by doing something that sounds similar ... they’re in jail now I think, but if they spotted the opportunity for a fast buck they’re probably not the only ones. If you trust the advisor you’re with stick with them ... you don’t want to lie awake at night worrying whether you’ve done the tight thing or not ... the world of finance is a particularly precarious place at the moment. Anyway, that’s my thruppence worth :D

PS have you read this? https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/91944 ... ion-scheme :twisted:
Last edited by suffolk on July 7th, 2019, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 7th, 2019, 11:34 am

EM, thirded. I'd stick with the advice you were given previously. I'm put in mind of when Mr S was made redundant years back, when Digital was going down the pan. He and many of his colleagues (including a close mutual friend, who incidentally was how we met in fact :D) received sizeable redundancy packages. Mr S says the sharks began to circulate almost instantly, all promising investments with amazing returns, etc, and some of his colleagues (including, very sadly, the mutual friend) were sucked in and lost everything. As Chinch says, if it sounds too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Last edited by Seatallan on July 7th, 2019, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2019, 11:42 am

Thanks for your comments. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid not to investigate further. Both my heart and head say they don't really want to! You Wildies are my kind of people!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm

I agree with the others - you should only gamble on something offering higher returns than average if you can afford to lose the capital invested.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » July 7th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:
After a very stuffy hot night we were woken at 5.45 am with nearby thunder and lightning and torrential rain. So a quick scoot rounf the house to close the windows. :wave: Inevitably this meant the electricity went off so it's just as well I cooked my piece fo pork last night. This meant we could have a leisurely light lunch of sold meat. and vaarious salads and chutneys in the cool.

WE got everything back in time for the Archers omnibus.

Em I agree with everyone else. I have heard of too many people who have lost a lot of money by listening to work mates who have been "Got at" by one dodgy financial advisor. In fact a senior teacher at one school I worked in gave up to become one such person and lost a lot of previous friends through abd advice.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 7th, 2019, 12:58 pm

suffolk wrote:That’s my thought too ... there have been some scary stories in our local press about a scam where an apparently respectable IFA swindled folks out of their pensions by doing something that sounds similar

On the radio as well, steel workers persuaded to move decades of pension contributions into dodgy schemes. Dreadful and I think no-one prosecuted as usual. The FSA is gutless.

I wouldn't take any of the pension out and most particularly because of

earthmaiden wrote:I need income from my full pot and don't want to gamble or have to think about it too much.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 7th, 2019, 2:27 pm

EM: I am with everyone else on this one, if you need the income from your full pot do not take the risk. Boring but true.

We were sitting outside having lunch when I mentioned to Deb that those looked like thunder clouds then the thunder rumbled, I suspect that I had previously heard thunder but only registered it subconsciously. Nothing came of it but we watched large thunderheads form then disappear.

Edited to add that they have had heavy rain up in the mountains, I bet that ruined a few barbecues

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2019, 4:36 pm

i have a friend who, when the changes in peoples access to their pension pot first came out, was given advice to remove her pension into another pot. she's a nurse who had decades of superannuation - possibly the best pension scheme in the country - she's now having to work longer than she thought she'd have to.
scullion
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 7th, 2019, 5:30 pm

scullion wrote:i have a friend who, when the changes in peoples access to their pension pot first came out, was given advice to remove her pension into another pot. she's a nurse who had decades of superannuation - possibly the best pension scheme in the country - she's now having to work longer than she thought she'd have to.

I have two friends who have retired from nursing...one stayed with the nhs scheme, the other was persuaded to join another. The difference in their pensions now is significant, with the nhs pension being MUCH more than the other.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Lovely afternoon spent in GD's garden with other people, paddling pool and unexpected early supper.

I am so relieved that so many of you feel as I do about the pension! Thank you .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 8th, 2019, 5:10 am

EM, for what it's worth, this company https://www.hartsfield.co.uk (think I've mentioned them before) have far exceeded our expectations on the pensions front, they are reasonably close to you. We were sceptical of all the 3 pension providers we vetted but we are getting 12+% at the moment - of course this could go down as well. If you want to ask us any questions, be in touch.

Life is starting to return to normal - to a degree in our household. We had 3 Polaks working on site yesterday and I am pleased to say we have a side path, gate and screening now and very good it looks too. One footing is dug for the new spiral pillars that will house my pet griffons ! Shame the builder who promised to call to quote did not turn up, neither did the chippie who said he would be with us on Saturday ! Still that's trades for you ! I shall be on to them today.

Mr. Z. has been very helpful over that last few days (no whinging at all!). Two window blinds put up yesterday and a small set of shelves, some chair feet now have soft pads to protect my floor. Most boxes have been emptied and decanted around the new build and we definitely now have more of a home than a house. It's starting to feel comfortable again. The new paint really has freshened up the whole area and the old 'vertical office' blinds will not go back up they were spider traps !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 8th, 2019, 5:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, this nurse took advice from the RCN and stayed with the NHS.
We are in one of our hot spells here, have the UK school holidays started yet? I know that Scottish holidays are slightly different. As I type this they are talking on the radio about expensive August holidays.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2019, 5:59 am

A very still and peaceful morning here ... black backed gulls circling lazily in the sky and starlings perched on the roof opposite watching them ...

OH has a week off work hurrah! This morning I shall make a summer veg minestrone for a few lunches this week, while waiting for the heating engineer to come and sort the boiler out. I’ve a feeling it won’t be long before they tell us we need to replace it ... it’s getting on a bit :rolleyes:

I also need to summer prune the gooseberries and the espaliered pear ... and of course there’ll be tennis to watch ... supper will be easy ... cold rare roast beef, jacket potatoes, salad and chutney :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 8th, 2019, 6:13 am

Moria, some schools have already broken up - mainly the private ones. My nieces 6th form collage broke up on Friday so I suspect some other state schools will also be on holiday. I think more will finish this Friday and then the rest the Friday after.

No doubt you will feel it the first Saturday..............when I lived in Gloucestershire we used to watch the M5 traffic at a standstill, queuing from Bristol as the great exodus to Cornwall began each year. No doubt Scully will also be able to pin point when the schools break up!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 8th, 2019, 7:15 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun isn't quite out yet, but it looks like another lovely day is on the cards. :tu: Good I have a basket of washing to do. :rolleyes: OH is off for blood tests at 9.30 then I am off to Specsavers to collect my new specs at 11 o'clock :D I might have a walk around the shops, see how many more are boarded up or changed to charity or card shops :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 8th, 2019, 8:59 am

Deb roasted a chicken at the weekend, she put a butter and herb mixture, mainly thyme under the skin to keep it moist. The cooking juices were kept to cook rice today. I cooked the rice earlier this morning, the buttery thyme aroma was amazing, I have just tasted the cooling rice, it does taste good. I was going to make Chicken Fried Rice with the left over chicken, I think that there may be a change of menu this evening.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 8th, 2019, 9:01 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Beds changed and covers drying. It was rather more bearable last night and we are promised thunderstorms tomorrow, just in time for the arrival of the family'
Moira 2 of our GCs broke up on Friday and the local schools here finished as well. Only they actually closed 2 weeks ago because of the hearwave
The 3 other GCs finish a week on Friday.
I must do various things like cook carlin peas for peas n'rice and make a chocolate cake which is a given whenever the GCs arrive.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2019, 9:32 am

Hello
Pleasant enough but not specially hot or sunny here, I should go for a walk and will soon

I should also strip the bed before I go

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2019, 10:18 am

Boiler engineer arrived at 10 on the dot ... it's not a boiler problem, it's a leak in the shower that's causing the boiler to keep pre-heating. :rolleyes: I'd not noticed the shower was leaking 'cos it doesn't do it when the thingummy is switched over to the bath taps rather than the shower ... flippin' 'eck, it's going to be a nuisance 'cos the taps are those ones set in the corner of the bath against the back wall ... the plumber will have to be a contortionist ... I've left a message on his phone ..............

On a brighter note, the minestrone is made ... it just has to be reheated and the peas, broad beans (skinned) and basil leaves added and we'll have it for lunch. It smells wonderful. :drool:

I've also done the watering so just a bit of light wafting of a duster while OH cycles into the city and back to get some paint and then it'll be lunch time and then Wimbledon :bounce:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 8th, 2019, 10:54 am

Hello! I'm on my last 3 day shifts ... :bounce:. Just 4 nights to go after that.

All the food mentioned this morning sounds wonderful, the rice particularly appealing.

Bad luck re the bathroom Suffs. I had huge problems when there was something wrong with my bath plumbing. Whilst 'hidden' plumbing looks nice it's a pig to access when things go wrong. I'm all for simplicity these days! Hope yours doesn't cause too much upheaval.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2019, 11:04 am

EM if it’s going to be too much trouble I’ll tell him to take the bath out and replace it with a walk in shower ... my knee gave way in the over bath shower done 15 years ago and if OH hadn’t been here I’d have been in a pickle so nowadays I try to only have a shower when he’s in the house ... a low entry shower may well be essential eventually so ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 8th, 2019, 11:51 am

Just what I'm going to have very soon!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2019, 12:19 pm

I've never regretted having my bath taken out and replaced with a shower stall, despite all the angst I went through while I was in Cyprus last year ! ;) I had already had a replacement shower the previous year as, like Suffs, I had hidden plumbing problems .. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 8th, 2019, 12:30 pm

When we moved to this house I asked for the room with the walk in shower, stepping into the bath for the overhead shower was getting a bit dangerous.
About ten years ago I went on holiday to the UK. I stayed at a Premiere Inn, the room had a bath with an overhead shower. I thought "whoopee, I shall have bath" not having had a bath for some years :!: I found that I had forgotten how to get into a bath, even worse get out of one. It had not occurred to me that could happen. Luckily there were several grab rails, it could have been embarrassing :oops:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 8th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Afternoon Wild ones. Specs are collected, washing is drying, but it is a bit hazy, not bright sunshine like yesterday, but dry all the same. OH and the beasts are watching the tennis, well I say watching all three are snoring their heads off :lol: I have picked my first two tomatoes today, I couldn't believe it. They will be eaten with dinner tonight. When we had our bathroom done we opted for just a walk in shower, so much more convenient and not as dangerous as climbing over a bath edge ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I too have made stock from the remains of yesterday’s chicken. The pressure cooker is cooling slowly to room temperature

Have done a bit of tidying up and sorting out. Still haven’t been for a walk, think I’ll do it when I go to my WI meeting
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 8th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Good evening everyone,
I'm back after a hectic but enjoyable couple of days with the kids, marred by my younger son losing most of Saturday to food poisoning from a takeaway burger he bought on his way home on Friday night. :sprout: Thankfully he had recovered yesterday and we all had a lovely day before my elder son & his fiancee flew back last night and my younger son left today.
Yesterday we went to a new tapas place in town, I was treated by the kids and the food was good, plenty of choice & freshly cooked, although the service was bit clunky - new opening teething problems I think. I was stuffed afterwards so never ate again after that yesterday.

The weather has been a bit grotty today so I pottered about indoors tidying up and then trying to get to grips with my new (to me) phone. It's a decent one which my elder son gave me - long story involving a lost phone & delay in the insurance company replacing it so he got another (better) one and I got the replaced one. I've got the essentials on it worked out I think. I've told the kids they are just going to have to keep supplying me with phones as if I have to buy one I'll go back to my £20 "mars bar". ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Amber » July 8th, 2019, 11:53 pm

We converted to a walk-in shower about six years ago. It’s the best thing we ever did. I find shower trays very slippery, so we have a lovely non-slip tiled floor. (Apparently they’re not allowed to call them non-slip anymore...in case someone slips on them, and sues :rolleyes: )
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 9th, 2019, 4:56 am

Good Morning wild Ones, I have to down into Limassol today to the big supermarket. They sell some items that I cannot get locally such as yeast for the bread maker, plus their butcher makes good koftas.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 9th, 2019, 6:47 am

Good morning wild ones. I think we may get rain today, it looks a bit iffy at the moment. I need a visit to the supermarket too, we have run out of marrow bones for the beasts :scared: :scared: Thank goodness I got the washing mountain done and dried yesterday, just needs ironing today. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 9th, 2019, 8:04 am

Our lovely plumber phoned back :D He’ll be along on Tuesday when we’ll be back from step grand daughter’s wedding near Brighton ... he’s pretty sure he’ll be able to fix it without having to be a contortionist. :tu:

Now I’d better get up :oops: We’re off out for the day .....
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 9th, 2019, 8:29 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Stopping by for a while to say Hi before a) the power is cut because of the impending storm and
b) the family arrives. It is quite extrordinary the way DD always enters on a clap of thunder. Like last summer when shortly after they arrived th roof was hit by lightning.

Chocolate cake duly made and iced and peas and rice cooked and bread fetched from, apparently an already tourist beseiged village. Thank goodness for residents parking permits though at this time of year even those spaces are at a premium.

Have a lovely day out Suffs.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 9th, 2019, 8:59 am

Back from Limassol, no yeast, I usually use Dove Farm, the orange packet version, I will have to make do with individual packets of Allinsons. I also needed Quaker Oats, Deb uses them for flapjacks, no other brand will do :rolleyes: I eventually found the oats amid the "healthy cereals" You never quite know where things will be, so far the best one has been tamarind beans, not in the ethnic food section but in with canned beans. I did find lots of different rosewaters, all the larger mountain villages seem to be producing their own version.
I turned on the car radio, BFBS gets interrupted at this time of year by an Arab radio station, something to do with atmospherics, we tend to get what sounds like a rant but this morning it was lovely choral singing and what I think was poetry, it had a metre.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 9th, 2019, 10:01 am

Good morning everyone,
Pouring here this morning and the forecast is for a very wet few days.
My house insurance is due for renewal soon, the renewal quote seems reasonable so may well just stick with my current provider but will have a noodle about and see what other quotes are looking like.
Apart from that I want to make a batch of pesto and get the stock base made for pork ramen.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 9th, 2019, 10:34 am

Change of plan ... we’re staying home today :lol: OH’s latest painting is going too well to leave and Wimbledon looks good this afternoon ... we have enough ‘stuff’ to make pan haggerty for supper ... there’s nothing we need from the shops ... :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2019, 10:57 am

Good morning (just)

Overslept which is probably a good thing as I felt a bit rubbish over the weekend - not so much ill as below par and tired. I also think I have found the cause of my recurrent minor sore throats, it’s a bit silly so I’ll let you know if it works.

Thinking of brunch now as I slept through breakfast

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 9th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Good Afternoon wild ones. :wave: :wave: It is raining, only light rain but enough to get you wet. :rolleyes: No luck with the marrow bones for the beasts, they will not be happy tomorrow, they finished off the two they had already. I have just prepped dinner, salmon to be roasted with spring onions, baby tomatoes tenderstem broccoli and sesame seeds with a drizzle of sesame oil to be served with rice and a green salad. :hungry:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 9th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Glad I was at home to watch the Williams -v- Riske match :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 10th, 2019, 5:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have a pedicure appointment at 9 15am, I was going to Lidl but Deb needs the car to go the hairdresser. Then I have to go over to Pissouri for lunch, the lunch is for M who is leaving the island, M and her husband are returning to the UK as he has Alzheimer's. His memory is getting worse, last week she commented that they would be leaving in three weeks time, K responded that they had better start packing, she has been packing for weeks. Luckily her son and DIL have moved, they needed a bigger place as the children are growing up so have bought a place with a granny annexe.
M is an enthusiastic crafter, she has various skills, she buying a log cabin to use as a craft room.
The real problem has been the cats, the outside cats have gone to a local animal charity. Two inside cats are going with them, different flight, needless to say the cats air tickets cost more than the humans.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2019, 6:26 am

I hope things go well for your friends Moira ... it’ll be hard for him getting used to a new place.

Overcast but mild here :D we have a likelihood of rain a bit later this morning ... I must get on and hoe the emerging seedlings in the veg patch ... then there’ll be tennis to watch :chops: I probably won’t have time to actually play today ... I need to do a bit of shopping too ... busy busy mornings when Wimbledon is on :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 10th, 2019, 6:48 am

Morning! :wave:
My last day shift today - no more early alarms!! Already spoken to some people for the last time who I have known a long time so lots of reminiscing. No regrets though. Just 4 nights to go after this.

Yesterday I discovered that you could make toast and have peanut butter and/or marmalade with it in our cafe. I'm glad I didn't know before, they are all huge treats for me.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop