Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVI : Willow

Postby icelesley » July 10th, 2019, 6:53 am

Good morning wild ones. We had rain during the night and it looks like it may rain today. The beasts are curled up on the sofa, they are not moving :rolleyes: I think a rattle of their leads might change that :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2019, 7:02 am

Congratulations on the last day shift EM ... you’re almost ‘one of us’ :hug: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 10th, 2019, 8:14 am

Just one more shift to complete, EM, then you are your own woman :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 10th, 2019, 9:25 am

Oooh EM, just a few nights to go and freedom is yours! :D I expect it'll take a while for your body clock to properly adapt once it's all over.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 10th, 2019, 9:37 am

Morning everyone :wave:

A much cooler night so everyone slept better in fact the junior branch is still comatose. both shattered by last week's non0stop activity and the whole end of term thing, DD is sunbathing on the terrace.

Last night's Bahamian feast was devoured with pleasure. One tends to forget just how much food the young can put away.

This week is difficult because I'm torn between tennis and Le Tour.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 10th, 2019, 10:12 am

I have a friend who has suddenly become very confused and bewildered. She's gone from being an intelligent articulate 74 year old into an old woman who talks to the electric fan and thinks it is her brother who died some time ago - and thinks that she's on a train or a plane or a ship - all in about 5 weeks. She's in hospital and has had every test imaginable to try and find out the cause. No infection, CT scan clear, MRI clear, lumbar puncture clear - we are all totally baffled.
Her son is an arse. He lives 300 miles away and only came down last week, despite three of her closest friends telling him he was needed. He announced this morning that he was renting a McCarthy & Stone flat for her in town. We have told him that what she needs is a care home but he's adamant that this is the place for her. So this morning we have all emailed him independently and told him that we think it is the wrong move and not to count on us to be her carers. Harsh but none of us is in a position to take on his responsibilities. One of the plus points in his words was that 'they have a guest suite that I can have for 25 quid a night - bargain'. :evil: :evil:
My poor friend has been saying for years that she doesn't want to live alone - at the moment she's in a house share but she can't go back there as it is not suitable for her any more. He's an only son and has been emailing us all some sort of psycho babble and his theories on what is the matter - Synaptic bridge is his latest one.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2019, 10:17 am

Good morning
Overcast, quite still, not hot but verging on the muggy here.

I ended up having a sort of duvet/Wimbledon day yesterday as I was exhausted - no idea why, but I must have needed it as I slept 10 hours overnight before and after. Feel more human today so will go for a stroll. Don’t think there’s much wrong with me as I have an appetite to rival that darned caterpillar! Probably mainly need to go to bed earlier

earthmaiden, “enjoy” your last day shift, perhaps you could have some toast as a final treat? :hug:

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 10th, 2019, 10:30 am

No toast today- we have cake :chops :D
Megan - I would have thought that if your friend is in this state that there should be some sort of professional medical recommendation and/or care plan in place arranged with son included in the discussion. :o
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 10th, 2019, 10:37 am

Good morning everyone,
Oh how exciting EM, it must feel a bit strange :)
What a horrible situation Megan - could you raise your concerns with the hospital that are currently caring for her?
Another wet day here, though more showery than the steady downpour we had yesterday. It's supposed to dry up overnight so fingers crossed.
Domestics for me today and later I hope to spend sometime in the greenhouse as the tom plants are needing a bit of taming.
Pork ramen for dinner tonight :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2019, 11:00 am

Megan ... can you and your friends get together and speak to the hospital social worker as a matter of urgency ... in a case like hers there should be a Discharge Meeting with the hospital and all agencies involved or likely to be, including someone from her GP practice, plus family ... and I would also expect the McCarthy & Stone House Manager to be included. If they do not think that the plans in place for her care are appropriate to meet her needs and keep her safe they should not discharge her.
Jump up and down and raise merry Hell until they do.
It may be that McCarthy & Stone feel that the environment they provide will not be appropriate for her.
Take it from me ... it wouldn’t be the first time they refuse to accept someone despite family trying to insist.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 10th, 2019, 11:34 am

I agree with Suffs. It sounds like a recipe for disaster doesn't it? Hope the situation improves....
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

It might be as well for the McCarthy & Stone to find out her high level of need somehow and that her friends are concerned that she’ll be unable to cope. They may insist upon a proper Care Assessment being carried out before they confirm a tenancy. If toes are trodden on so be it. Sometimes these things have to be done.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Do McCarthy & Stone not require a medical letter and interview with the manager like most such facilities? My experience is that such places are pretty cautious and won’t usually let a relative sign up without fully involving the tenants
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 10th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Thanks for all your feedback - yes I agree on all levels. I have made my feelings more than clear to her son - he has POA which was only signed last week while she was in a confused state. I do hope that M&S to want letters of referral - he is only renting the flat not buying so I don't know if he is dealing directly with the manager or the person that owns the flat. I have spoken to the social worker and made her very aware of the situation - my concerns have been noted!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 10th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Is it legal to sign POA documents if the person in question is not in full posession of their faculties? Was it just done by him,? in which case it probably isn't valid in law.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Is it legal to sign POA documents if the person in question is not in full posession of their faculties? Was it just done by him,? in which case it probably isn't valid in law.

Nope ... it’s not legal and can be challenged at the Office of the Public Guardian IIRC
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2019, 2:44 pm

It depends on how the POA was set up - you can set them up and leave them not in use until activated when they are needed

But if this is a POA set up from scratch recently then it’s not valid if she was confused, and the solicitor really shouldn’t have allowed it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Good Afternoon All, what a fount of knowledge not mention good sense there is here. It does sound as if the POA document is not valid.

Our craft group had a good lunch over at Pissouri, I had an enormous Chicken Caesar Salad. Some of my neighbours had Smoked Salmon salad and chips, they were excellent chips.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Meganthemog wrote:Thanks for all your feedback - yes I agree on all levels. I have made my feelings more than clear to her son - he has POA which was only signed last week while she was in a confused state. I do hope that M&S to want letters of referral - he is only renting the flat not buying so I don't know if he is dealing directly with the manager or the person that owns the flat. I have spoken to the social worker and made her very aware of the situation - my concerns have been noted!

Sounds like you've done all you reasonably can....
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 10th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Megan, M&S are not a good move, they shafted a fiends mother, it cost them thousands...

Our POA was set up months ago and was not cheap.......

Windows were cleaned (has not been done for 18 months) due to cement, plaster and all associated building materials. The difference is so amazing, at one point this morning, I thought there was no glass in the windows !!!

Sunroom windows have been cleared of virginia creeper ready for annual wood preservative treatment.

Mr. Z. has no work (again) tomorrow.... :rolleyes: but we have stuff to do here.... Building inspector came today and there are a few issues we need to do and certificates to produce to get the final sign off.

We are off to Wing Yip (thanks Kavey) on Friday and maybe Southall (albeit briefly) then out to supper with fiends so a busy day planned. The Polaks will be on site sorting footings for my griffons !!! We are getting there but slowly
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 11th, 2019, 5:19 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it is going to be hot one, 40 C in Nicosia but not quite so hot here in the hills.

moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 11th, 2019, 5:24 am

It was hot in my bedroom last night, sleeping was fitful, the Polaks have my fan, it's even hotter in the Hobbit House....

EM Not long now, you will wonder how you ever had the time to work !!!!

Builder is paying us a visit this morning, I can feel a deal coming on..... Mr. Z. is on upper windows this morning and I have piles of paperwork to wade thru sort and file.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 6:26 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Overcast here but with bright patches ... a quiet day planned before heading to West Sussex for step granddaughters wedding :bounce: OH is going to clean the car :shock: :lol: 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 11th, 2019, 7:13 am

Good morning wild ones. We are supposed to have rain and thunderstorms today. But, the sky is blue and the Sun is out, maybe they got it wrong.. again :rolleyes: shopping day again, it soon comes around.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2019, 7:54 am

Morning all! :wave:. When I got up half an hour ago I thought that either it had rained overnight or we were about to have a thunderstorm but amazingly the sun is now shining and a lovely breeze is coming in. It does mean that the garden wasn't watered though :rolleyes:. I don't envy those temperatures Moira.

Intend spending the morning pootling about and have an afternoon field trip to lead later. I have that post day shift lethargy today, hopefully for the last time! I said farewell to so many people I had known for years yesterday but felt excited rather than sad. Things have changed so much over the past few years that all our best memories are from long ago now. I expect that today's young will eventually reminisce in the same way

Have a lovely time Suffs, West Sussex is another old stomping ground for me and now DD has ended up there!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2019, 9:44 am

Good morning

Divine Comedy on the radio are singinging about Norman and Norma getting double pneumonia in Cromer :lol:

Every year Pandemonium Theatre do an outdoor performance in the cemetery park, using the woods as the setting and the audience follows them round the site. Tonight about 8 of us from the WI are going together and then to the pub after to discuss it.

Although a proud Hampshire Hog you could actually walk into West Sussex from our house when I was a child. The border was marked by signs where the road dipped through the forest, it always seemed very mysterious to me as a child

Have a great day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 9:48 am

Ken Bruce plays that Divine Comedy recording a lot at the moment ... I just love it :luv: even if it is a bit unfair to Cromer :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2019, 9:54 am

I used to love Divine Comedy but haven't heard the song (got fed up with R2 and have gone back to R1 most of the time in the car). Must find it!

Update: It's on YouTube - great! Also found 'A Lady of a Certain Age' which is even better!
Last edited by earthmaiden on July 11th, 2019, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2019, 9:57 am

I’d heard the song before, but it was the first time I’d paid enough attention to the words, which you should always do with a Neil Hannar lyric.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 11th, 2019, 10:34 am

I enjoy National Express by Divine Comedy

Watermelon & Feta salad for lunch, I managed to get a small watermelon but only used half of it. Deb bought a cooked chicken and salad for supper, too hot to cook although I shall make a potato salad.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 11:23 am

I think Norman and Norma is on a par with National Express :luv:
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2019, 11:23 am

Afternoon all! :wave: :hug:

Just a quickie! I came back to work on Tuesday, fully recovered according to my GP. :bounce: There is plenty to be catching up on, but work are easing me back in gently and will not be putting me back on the busy phone lines until next week. Loads to catch up on, both work and goings on here so I have been busy and sleeping well at night. It is back to some kind of normality, instead of staring at four walls and a TV, I am staring at a computer screen instead, but at least I have company! :D

I will catch up on your goings on later. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your day. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 11th, 2019, 11:56 am

Glad to see you better and back at work, Tezza.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 11th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Update: Stupid son has decided to ignore all concerns raised by the 3 friends - I think he thinks we are more like witches :lol: :lol:
He emailed this morning to say that all our comments have been noted BUT he was carrying on regardless. The witches have decided to ignore his emails and let him stew. I am going to see the lady in question this evening - I hope she's a bit more lucid than of past.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2019, 12:18 pm

:wave: hello Teresa :hi5:
Good to hear you are recovered. Sounds as if work is being pretty good too. :tu:

Take it gently

Meganthemog good luck with the visit, sounds as if you’ve done all you can, just have to hope that tipping off the social worker will have done some good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Thia morning's restocking for a siege trip to the supermarket was completely bananas. Far too many tourists and shelf stackers made it vitually impossible. Another local couple we met said they have got to the stage in the summer about a month earlier than usual when you might as well grin and bear it as it is useless to even try the management for help - they are either hiding or on holiday.

The family have gone off to research a new water park near Avignon. We assume they will return when totally waterlogged. Still hot but now manageable at around 32/3C and down to 15/6C at night. The storms in Northern Greece sound awful. We think we may venture outside for a bbq this evening to make sure everything is working for the 14th.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Great to hear from you Tezza ... and obviously bright eyed and bushy tailed :D fantastic news :D :hug: As Sue says ... take it gently :tu:

Megan ... I hope you’ll find things a bit less worrying :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Sorry Tezza I should have said it is lovely to hear that you are back at work, they are looking after you and you are feeling better. :hug: :hug: Don't overdo it!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 11th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Ratatouille wrote: The storms in Northern Greece sound awful
I have seen some videos shot on people's phones, it looked terrible, Enormous hail stones being swept in a torrent down the street. Reports of caravans blown over. I bet the local people saw the storm coming. Last Sunday we saw storm clouds forming, nothing here but heavy hail in the mountains

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 11th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Lovely to hear from you Tezza - take it easy! :hug:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Good to see you back Tezza- no rushing about now.... :hug: :wave:

Oh dear Megan... you and your friends have done what you can. I hope the lady is more lucid when you see her later.

StokeySue wrote:Although a proud Hampshire Hog you could actually walk into West Sussex from our house when I was a child. The border was marked by signs where the road dipped through the forest, it always seemed very mysterious to me as a child

Presume you're from the Petersfield/Liphook/Borden side of Hampshire Sue? I still think those woods are mysterious. It seemed very foreign to me, when we went that way when I was a child (I was used to the chalk-down country around Winchester).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I’m a bit further south Seatallen, towards Chichester Harbour - the “border crossing” I m thinking of is at Stansted, between Havant and Westbourne/ Emsworth In fact as we were on the east side of Havant we could also walk to the shore, similar distance

Havant Forest is about as near as it gets these days to the original forest covering the south of England, heavily managed especially on the Stansted estate. Mum always found it a bit spooky but of course I was used to it from a very early age and would happily cycle over to climb trees, accompanied by the owner’s dogs sometimes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2019, 3:01 pm

A lovely part of the world right enough.... I do like the way Hampshire is so variable.

I was born in Bournemouth, which, though now in Dorset was part of Hampshire at the time (pre-1974 county boundary changes) so I think I count as a Hog... :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 11th, 2019, 3:40 pm

You may remember that we had some major building work done over Christmas and the New Year. The builder had a cancellation and started at short notice. We just bundled all the stuff from the garage, roof space and everywhere else into boxes and into the shed.

Today I started a bit of a sort out. You get to realise that over the years you should have spent longer looking for something, rather than just nipping out and buying another... :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o

IMG_2478.jpg
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby liketocook » July 11th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Good evening everyone,
:lol: :lol: aero your collection reminds when I cleared out my under sink cupboard a few months ago, I discovered I have a huge supply of washing up sponges :oops:
:wave: :wave: Tezza glad you are on the mend and great that work are being supportive. :hi5:
I must look up "Norma & Norman" :D , I've not heard it but I have a "mind worm" of Victoria Wood ;)
I could get used to this being a "lady who lunches" - shame I don't have the bank balance to go with it. :lol: :lol:
I had a really lovely time with my "old" pals today, we've all known each other for 40+ years and while our individual lives have followed varied paths we've kept the bond over the years we developed as youngsters. We went to the new Italian restaurant and the food was absolutely delicious . I had a simple dish of mixed meat skewers with summer veg and the chef certainly has a deft hand with the grill as the meat was cooked to perfection. The others were equally pleased with their choices. I was stuffed but a couple of us managed puds which we all had a taste of and they were just as good a panacotta with the just amount of wobble and a deep filled cheesecake with a gorgeous lemon filling. Both came with a ramekin of gorgeous icecream that they are making themselves. I'll definitely be heading back there when I get a chance as it was well priced for the standard of cooking and the service attentive but not in your face. I just hope it lasts as it was quiet today but the owner was saying that they are full in the evening Thurs-Sun so happy to let the lunch time business grow over time and overall it's doing better than their forecast is for the first few months after opening. Certainly our local FB page is full of folk who have been and loved it as well as those saying they would advise booking as they had tried for a table on spec unsuccessfully.
After a warm & dry but overcast start to the day the sun broke through just as we were finishing lunch so we headed back to mine and sat nattering in the garden for a few hours. All in all it's been a great day. :D
Needless to say I'll not be wanting much for dinner tonight, I have some leftover noodles/veg from last night which will do nicely.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2019, 7:43 pm

That sounds wonderful ltc!

My 'paintbrushes' were 20 face flannels stashed away in various bedroom drawers. I don't think I'll ever need to buy another :).

A fraught day. What I thought would be a quick prearranged phone call to DS (the latest catastrophe :rolleyes: ) lasted 2 hours and in the middle when the phone died it rang again and it was someone else calling for a chat and two parcels arrived during that time too :o. This was my day of preparation for a quiet retirement :lol: :lol: . In the shower eventually at 1pm when I was supposed to be leading a trip over 10 miles away at 2pm. Made it ok. The trip tried my patience somewhat for a number of reasons which would sound unkind if aired but I was very glad to get home! It's been a lovely day but we could do with some of the rain which is clearly lingering around somewhere. I think I'm going to have an early night.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 11th, 2019, 7:59 pm

earthmaiden wrote:This was my day of preparation for a quiet retirement :lol: :lol: .

A quiet retirement och you don't one of those - a few weeks and you'll be wondering how you found time to work :D :D
I listened to "Nora & Nornan" - love it but can see Victoria Wood doing it with aplomb..... ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 12th, 2019, 5:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, nice brisk breeze this morning, I hope that our little heat wave has blown over.
I collect hairbrushes, I keep leaving the wretched things behind.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2019, 5:19 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Just got to finish packing and then set sail mid morning for the south coast (in our very shiny car) for dear step granddaughter’s wedding ... I may or may not pop in here while I’m away ;) ... should be back some time Sunday.
I may see you over coffee later this morning but. ... who knows .... so have a lovely weekend everyone :D
Last edited by suffolk on July 12th, 2019, 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 12th, 2019, 6:39 am

Good morning wild ones. Have a lovely wedding stuffs, I hope the weather is good for your granddaughter, :cocktail: :cocktail: congratulations to the happy couple :cocktail: :cocktail: I have to battle my way across town to drop off my repeat script request at the surgery.
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop