Mallorca

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Mallorca

Postby patpoyntz » June 3rd, 2019, 1:05 pm

We are going to our nephews wedding in Mallorca next weekend. The wedding is a 3 day event(!) ...with dress codes (!!!).
Anyway we love him dearly, so will put up with the rules to see him happily married.
As I haven’t been to the island before, we are staying on for a week to explore.
So, I’m asking for lovely things to do and places to eat and drink. The wedding is in the centre of the island, Sineu, then we have a couple of days in Valdemossa, then 5 days in the centre of Palma. We are hiring a car, but we like to try out public transport where possible. We are not beach people.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
patpoyntz
Registered

Re: Mallorca

Postby liketocook » June 3rd, 2019, 5:31 pm

The old train from Valldemossa to Soller is lovely well worth doing IMHO. Lluc monastery up in mountains is also worth visiting though the road up is very twisty and narrow but there does seem to be bus tours to it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm

liketocook wrote:The old train from Valldemossa to Soller is lovely well worth doing IMHO. Lluc monastery up in mountains is also worth visiting though the road up is very twisty and narrow but there does seem to be bus tours to it.

Thank you LTC, I was trying to remember where the train went to, we took it from Palma to Soller where we had the most wonderful lunch, many years ago but sticks in the memory.

Me and two friends went in the mid eighties and had a fabulous holiday, it was February and quite quiet, Palma cathedral also stands out.

Have a wonderful time.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 3rd, 2019, 7:15 pm

We liked Deya, which is actually where we stayed, home of Robert Graves and many others, but there’s not a lot to see there, just a nice village and a little cove with swimming and some bars and cafes

Quite a lot to see in Palma but I missed most of it

The Caves of Drach in NE Mallorca, and Porto Christo and the surroundings area we liked, but it wS early 90s, and things may have changed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 4th, 2019, 10:49 am

Thanks all...have taken notes!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 4th, 2019, 1:31 pm

I went to this bar (once) some years ago

http://bar-abaco.es/

It is sensational but extremely expensive.
Have one cocktail and make it last a good hour.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 4th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Wow, that looks great WW...we will try to get there, and make one drink last a while!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Notice no prices on the cocktail list!

It's probably 20 years since I went and it was about £12 per drink but it is completely beautiful with soothing background music.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 18th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Just a quick thank you for your suggestions.
ltc....we had a wonderful day out on the train from Palma to Soller, then got the tram down to the port, where we had a truly memorable lunch...
Sue, didn’t get to the caves, but they are on the list for next visit. I think the North East of the island was the one bit we didn’t visit....but just not enough time.
WW, we really tried to get to Abaco, just couldn’t drag ourselves away from the many bars and restaurants around our hotel. Again, somewhere for next time.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 18th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Sounds like a lovely break, glad you enjoyed the train and Soller :D
The last time I went to Mallorca, we stayed on the outskirts of Puerto Pollenca in the NW and I really liked it. Very low key and family friendly beach front and our apartment was at the foot of the hills, so best of both worlds and I'd definitely recommend that area.
liketocook
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop