Watering tomatoes while away

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Watering tomatoes while away

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 15th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Just typed out a long post and WF crashed … (or at least it did on my Laptop) …

I am posting this query on here as expecting more of you to see it (Herbi ?)

I have a solitary Gardeners Delight tomato growing well in my conservatory ... How best can I keep it watered while I am away ? I thought of a wick system, so should the reservoir be above, below, or level with the pot the tomato is in?

Also, I am wondering about pollination .. I seem to remember my Dad using the hair of the dog (quite literally) to pollinate his plants. Should I have done the same, or is this plant likely to be self pollinating ? This is a very precious plant to me, being a freebie from Wyevale ;) :tu: :lol: :lol:

tia
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Watering tomatoes while away

Postby scullion » June 15th, 2019, 3:25 pm

the reservoir of a wicking waterer should be as level with the plant or just below, if possible.
you could try some capillary matting under the plant to in the bath with the plant slightly raised above the bathwater. the plant may be a little delayed but is less likely to suffer dehydration if your other wicking methods fail and it's in a sunny dry place.
the best way to pollinate your tomatoes (and other 'self fertile' plants is with an electric toothbrush - or other vibrating device...
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 15th, 2019, 6:27 pm

About to go out, but will post later, Pat. Not sure I have the definitive answer, though. I spent a lot of time researching (and wasted a lot of money) last year on it... but that was for outdoors plants.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 15th, 2019, 8:39 pm

I have brought it into the kitchen as is it is then out of direct sunlight. I have it standing on a thick towel that is well covered with water. That will have to do :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 15th, 2019, 9:21 pm

ok! I am sure it will be ok. Have you got it on the draining board? Usual advised method is to stand on capillary matting with one end in a sink full of water. Are you going somewhere nice?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 25th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Well my tomato survived … although it now looks like a Triffid … I didn't want be too explicit about when and for how long I was going away, but it was to Zakynthos … a lot of sun, some lovely food and not much else.
Attachments
atomato.jpg
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 1:04 pm

It looks like it's thrived! You will have tomatoes soon, but the look of it, if not already.

I will need to prep everything this weekend for my week away... ( :shock: It did not go well last year.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Yes, I've got some baby ones … the bush/basket tomatoes that have been outside have plenty of blossom on too ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby uschi » June 26th, 2019, 7:06 am

I sometimes spend a few days with Axel or a on the boat, so my (south facing) jungly balcony must fend for itself at times.
Wine bottles, filled with a funnel, are the weapon of choice. I have them in a corner when not in use. Looks like I am an alcoholic. :o :shock: :D
The large containers with the roses get extra water from buckets, which they can draw through thick yarn wicks. Works so-so. I have bought filler material for soft toys and will experiment with that. Smaller pots are watered via a cone-and-small-flexible-tube system. This works well until the hoses are blocked.
Is anyone using such a system and know how best to unblock them? Just blowing into them does not work well.
uschi
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop