Tinned Food

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Tinned Food

Postby Grasshopper » June 16th, 2019, 7:30 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food ... -433156027

IMVHO tinned stuff comes in very handy when making meals, from humble beans on toast to using tinned items as ingredients in a recipe.
Today we had tuna & tomato pasta bake. 5 tins went into that: 2 x tuna, 2 x tomatos & 1 x sweetcorn, along with onions & peas from the freezer.

Nicely seasoned & with some cheese on top, it made a nice meal with a green salad :chops:

Some left for dinner tomorrow too.
:chops:
Grasshopper

Forgot to add - what sort of tins do you peeps use?
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Re: Tinned Food

Postby KC2 » June 16th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Hi Grassy!
We use a lot of chickpeas and various beans. We make some great beanburgers with canned black beans and use cans of haricot, butter and cannelini in various concoctions!
Tinned tomatoes - and I always try to get the Italian brands (Cirio/Napolina) when they're on offer.
Tuna, anchovies.
I've often got a can of artichokes in the cupboard (as well as the jars in oil).
A friend showed me how to use canned palm hearts with parma ham to make delicious nibbles on sticks.
And caramel condensed milk.
I have a can of coconut milk that is so old (bbe June 2011) I'm not sure if I should ever risk it - in the meantime it just gets older and older :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 16th, 2019, 8:10 pm

We get through a LOT of tinned tomatos.

Condensed mushroom soup is great for sauce making - esp with chicken. Saves all that fussing about with flour & butter & whatnot.

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 16th, 2019, 8:32 pm

I think people can be quite snobby about tinned food which is silly as much, especially fruit & veg, is tinned when fresh and not highly processed with unwelcome additives and things.
I've always got tinned beans, lentils etc as well as baked beans in tomato sauce. Tomato puree, tinned fruit, tinned fish, coconut milk (I started using the powder but the shelf life is only couple of months and mine went rancid soon after the use by date). Back in the day we used tinned meat quite a lot, the cold ones fir sandwiches and others for pies and things. I am not so keen now but don't mind corned beef and have a secret liking still for chicken in white sauce from M&S or Sainsburys.

In the 60's we used condensed soup for all kinds of things but I find it too salty now. We used to have condensed tomato soup mixed with pasta and topped with grated cheese! I have had the Campbells infamous green bean casserole in the USA at Thanksgiving and quite liked it. Just the other day I saw a recipe for a sweet cake made with a tin of condensed tomato soup - I wish I could remember where I saw it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 16th, 2019, 8:41 pm

earthmaiden wrote:chicken in white sauce

Mmmmmm - haven't had that for a LONG time!

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 16th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Canned tomatoes, tuna, sardines are staples
Canned pulses, a can is 2 good portion so handy. Baked beans. The little cans of d’aucy chick peas for instant hummus.
Yes, exotica like artichoke hearts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts. Chestnut purée come to that
The emergency cans of Baxter’s soups, for when I am unwell or busy but want something easy and gentle on the tum

I seem to have been collecting canned coconut milk

I don’t often use canned fruit, and I don’t keep a stock, but it has its uses in baking and desserts
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 16th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I'd forgotten about Baxters soups - I like the vegetarian range which are a light meal in themselves. A tin of Heinz tomato very occasionally hits the spot too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 16th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Like everyone, tomatoes and various pulses/beans. Also baked beans, sweetcorn, and my slightly guilty secret: Amy's vegetarian chilli.
I sometimes buy D'Aucy brand confit de ratatouille when in France - it may not be quite the real thing, but it's quite nice (nicer than the equivalent stuff you can get in the UK) and useful as a standby. I often cook it in a pan or small casserole dish with a couple of eggs cracked in, or make a very inauthentic, lazy, quick 'lasagne' using just cheese, lasagne sheets and creme fraiche. Ditto Cassegrain tinned confit d'aubergine, courgette etc. I think France does these things much better than we do. They seem bigger on canned food there generally? (I suppose they did invent canning, after all.)
I also buy (really) small cans of tomato sauce in France which are prefect for adding just a bit of 'juice' to bought pizzas.

OH buys soup, veggie ravioli, veggie spag bog, and brought back some, er interesting things from Germany (Veggie currywurst etc.) And he is fond of Romanian tinned veggie pate that he buys from the Turkish supermarket... so these things all lurk in the cupboard too.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 16th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Oh and how could one forget rice pudding?! (Not that I have that very often.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 17th, 2019, 5:30 am

Ditto, canned beans(various), tomatoes, tuna, sardines and coconut milk.
Tuna and Beans is a favourite easy supper.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 17th, 2019, 7:17 am

Did I read somewhere that canning destroys the Omega 3 in tuna - ok for other fish though?
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 17th, 2019, 7:19 am

I have heard that about tuna but wasn't sure if it was all tuna or just canned.

Not thrilled about tinned milk pudding but custard can be alright - evap & condensed can be useful too but I don't keep them in store.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » June 17th, 2019, 7:33 am

StokeySue wrote:
I don’t often use canned fruit, and I don’t keep a stock, but it has its uses in baking and desserts

Apricots in particular - they seem to have a stronger flavour than imported fresh ones, unless you're very lucky with height of season ripe fruit.

I like tinned pears too - less waste than the lottery of whether fresh pears will ripen before they rot in the middle.

I use all the usual suspects - pulses, tomatoes, mackerel (for lunchtime salads), the odd tin of soup for emergencies. Even the small tins of corned beef are handy when only cooking for one - salad for lunch one day, corned beef hash for dinner the next.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Busybee » June 17th, 2019, 7:42 am

Tomatoes, baked beans, pulses, tuna and mackerel and like Suelle some fruit, predominantly mandarins (trifle) and pitted prunes (OH likes them with yogurt for breakfast) peaches and pears can also be nice - nostalgia in a bowl.

We always have a tin of corned beef in, it’s a great standby.

I think what Jack Monroe has done with the cook book is admirable, many people who rely on food banks need some help in turning the bag of tinned goods into balanced meals. She is an articulate advocate for those experiencing food poverty.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 17th, 2019, 8:56 am

Gruney wrote:Did I read somewhere that canning destroys the Omega 3 in tuna - ok for other fish though?

Yes.
Still a good source of protein and flavour though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 17th, 2019, 9:21 am

Oh I wouldn't be without my "tins" cupboard. I like to keep a stock of staples coconut milk, tomatoes, veg, pulses, fruit, corned beef, fish and work on a use and immediately replace basis. I still use the odd can of condensed soup as a sauce base and my guilty pleasure is tinned baby carrots so always have a few of those. A tin of spam lurks as I like it in singapore noodles and nasi goreng. I like knowing that a quick meal is only tin opener away if I'm having a rough day or there's bad weather. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 17th, 2019, 9:40 am

Tinned chopped tomatoes which I use in the winter. Small tins of sweetcorn for soup, creamed corn ditto. Evaporated milk for riz au lait and custard - hate tinned milk pudding and custard.Condensed milk for caramel and millionaires short bread. Red kidney beans and jars of butter beans. French peas when GD is here Gooseberries and guava halved because I can't get them here.

I also have lots of home bottled fruits, veg and sauces etc
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » June 17th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Grasshopper wrote:

Grasshopper

Chunky Chicken! I have always got it in my storecupboard as OH loves it on hot buttered toast :chops: it is also good for a quick pie filling - it's not cheap but you sometimes get it in a deal 3 for 2.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

:D MIL used to use it to make pies when the children were young. We loved it but it was a bit expensive for us so to make a pie with it was a huge treat. Also party vol au vent fillings. Very occasionally I take it to work to have cold with salad for supper.. I'd never thought of having it on toast :idea: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » June 17th, 2019, 4:02 pm

I have two cookery books, produced by (I think) something like the canned food advisory service in the 90s.
Amber
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 17th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Chickpeas
Baked beans
Cirio tomatoes
Soft cods roe
Tuna/mackerel/sardines/salmon
sweetcorn
pineapple
Catherine
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » June 18th, 2019, 11:34 am

I really like Jack Monroe. I follow her on Instagram and some of her fishes are delicious . I like her ethos that even on a limited budget , you should be still able to eat food and adapted luxury dishes .

I normally have tinned tomatoes and tinned sweet corn . I’m a big tinned fruit fan, especially peaches and pears . There’s normally the odd tin of baked beans or tinned spaghetti knocking around too . There’s normally something sweet like custard or rice pudding too .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby KC2 » June 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I really like Jack Monroe. I follow her on Instagram and some of her fishes are delicious .

:lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 18th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I always have tinned custard in, I love the stuff.

Also the usual tomatoes, baked beans, chickpeas, lentils, tuna and mackerel.
J occasionally fancies mackerel on toast for breakfast. I don't!
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 18th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Meganthemog wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:

Grasshopper

hunky Chicken! I have always got it in my storecupboard as OH loves it on hot buttered toast :chops: it is also good for a quick pie filling - it's not cheap but you sometimes get it in a deal 3 for 2.

Oh gosh I'd forgotten about that. We used to have it with rice at uni and stir some chopped parsley through it to make it posh :P

I also used to get creamed mushrooms and serve on naf white toast (had to be naf bread)

One of my favourite school dinners was tinned pilchards with iceberg lettuce, cucumber and tomato. Still get the occasional hankering for it now, but prefer tinned mackerel. We often had tinned peaches with custard for pudding. All our school dinners were freshly made from scratch but I think this was their easy dinner day

I'm also rather partial to tinned mandarin segments but always chill the can first.
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 18th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I like tinned pineapple chunks. They make a nice fruit salad with more mundane fruits (apple, orange, banana) and add a bit of juice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 18th, 2019, 6:28 pm

You are actually making me feel quite ill! i just hate tinned fruit. The only time I use it is to make seet and sour sauce - small tins of pineapple or gooseberries for a . Simply because I love gooseberries and they are unknown here.

I have to declare a love of Parmentier brand sardines in olive oil. I love thm so does Mr R
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 27th, 2019, 8:15 pm

EM - you need to get yourself a fresh pineapple. Superior flavour to tinned IMO, even if it's a bit of a chore to prepare.
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 27th, 2019, 10:15 pm

I like fresh pineapple of course but the point of having a tin handy is for those days when you want a fruit salad, perhaps in winter, using staple fruits from the fruit bowl without going shopping. It's useful to have in the cupboard.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » June 28th, 2019, 6:25 am

Tinned food (or in glass jars, as is customary here, especially for fruit) can come in handy! I am no fan of canned meals, but they do come in handy sometimes and I like to have some oxtail soup in store. Comfort food when I have a cold (I spice it up with chili sauce then).
Fruit in tins or jars are invaluable for baking. You don't really make something like Black Forest gateau with fresh cherries. I have two jars of black cherries waiting to go into chocolate cake tomorrow.
As Sue said, tinned apricots have a great flavour unless the unripe things you can buy.
Strawberries are nicer fresh or frozen, but I still keep a jar or two handy for yoghurts and desserts.
You can get the basics for lentil and bean soup here, just the pulses and soup greens in a little brine. No sugar or anything else added. These are always in my stock cupboard. :kneel:

Oh, cans of corn!!! Yummmm!!!
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 28th, 2019, 8:19 am

Tins in my cupboard contain pulses,(usually a couple of cans of chick peas, kidney beans, butter beans, cannellini, black eyed beans, gunga peas), chopped tomatoes, Parmentier sardines, anchovies, baked beans, Amy’s organic tomato and mushroom soups, sweet corn, peas to make ‘mushy peas’ for F&C, salmon and crab chunks for occasional lunchtime salads ... oh, and there’s sometimes a tin of olives there too but they’re usually they’re in a jar.

Can’t stand tinned tuna .. the stuff in jars is so much nicer.
Last edited by suffolk on June 28th, 2019, 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 28th, 2019, 9:00 am

I’m the other way round, can’t stand tinned salmon but good tuna is fine

In fact tuna and white bean salad is a really good hot weather dish that is based on canned food
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 28th, 2019, 1:44 pm

StokeySue wrote:
In fact tuna and white bean salad is a really good hot weather dish that is based on canned food

That’s exactly what the kids had Wednesday evening as we were limited for time
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 13th, 2019, 1:04 pm

suffolk wrote:
Can’t stand tinned tuna .. the stuff in jars is so much nicer.

Have you tried Ortiz tinned tuna? It is expensive but very good. I would not use it for a standard tuna mayo for sandwiches and jacket potatoes but as an ingredient in a salad it is well worth it

I've just remembered cheese and pineapple hedgehogs. No party was worth its salt without one of those. I'm not really a big fan of tinned soup but I do like Baxters lobster bisque occasionally, and their beef consomme does add a good flavour to casseroles. One soup I hate in Heinz tomato. The smell makes my stomach turn
Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2019, 1:21 pm

DD bought 2 large cans of duck confit to take back to the UK next week. it is a great standby but I ususally prefer the vac packed legs which are easy for us to get.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 13th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Ratatouille wrote:DD bought 2 large cans of duck confit to take back to the UK next week. it is a great standby but I ususally prefer the vac packed legs which are easy for us to get.

My 14 year old nephew loves duck confit so much he actually asked for a can of it for his birthday
Catherine
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 13th, 2019, 7:30 pm

We like the tins of duck confit, and I usually bring a few back with us when we visit France..along with bottled prunes in Armagnac and a years supply of our favourite mustard. The confit is a great standby especially when unexpected visitors call. We have just had old friends to stay for a golfing holiday, and apart from lovely wine, they brought two tins of confit..we were not running short, but they were gratefully received. I always used to bring the cans of peas and tiny carrots too, but I can get them at Lidl now.
We have just had a very good roast beef dinner, made all the better by roasting the potatoes in duck fat from a recently opened tin of confit.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 13th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Catherine wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:DD bought 2 large cans of duck confit to take back to the UK next week. it is a great standby but I ususally prefer the vac packed legs which are easy for us to get.

My 14 year old nephew loves duck confit so much he actually asked for a can of it for his birthday

Fancy most 14 year olds would just want a dominos
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop