Smoke alarm advice wanted

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Smoke alarm advice wanted

Postby Pepper Pig » June 22nd, 2019, 10:34 am

Our smoke alarms are now over 10 years old and, according to current advice should be replaced.

https://lifehacker.com/you-should-repla ... 1796091944

The problem is that my husband is now incapable of doing the work, one needs moving as well. Has anybody used their local fire brigade to do this. Ours offers a free fitting service but I’m wondering what the hidden charges are.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/t ... at-alarms/
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Smoke alarm advice wanted

Postby StokeySue » June 22nd, 2019, 11:25 am

Mine were done by the gas fitter, but I would use the Fire Brigade, I’ve met the guy who does it locally and I’d have no hesitation

But they will tell you where they are to be installed, not the other way round I think, that’s part of the consultation service
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 22nd, 2019, 11:37 am

That’s good to hear Sue. Thanks.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 22nd, 2019, 3:03 pm

Mine are freestanding and bought from a hardware shop and just hung on the wall with a nail. They seem to work. I can see that advice could be useful if you have quite a big house. My electrician insisted I put one in the lobby where my washing machine and dryer live as there have been incidents of dryers catching fire. I thought that was good advice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 22nd, 2019, 11:30 pm

We have had to have 2 wired in ones....? Dunno the rules but I trust those that tell me so. Building regs too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 23rd, 2019, 5:24 am

Maybe its modern rules so that batteries don't run out or people take them out. I test mine regularly and they make an annoying beep when the battery's low. DS has just bought a renovated house and it had new wired in ones too. Didn't know ordinary houses had them wired in before that.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 23rd, 2019, 9:41 am

There was a scandal here a couple of years ago. There was a typical French announcement that everyone had to have an approved smoke alarm per certain square meterage. The pompiers were to be allowed to check on their installation. Shortly afterwards people started to get telephone messages claiming to be official saying we would be getting an inspection withing the next week or so and offering to do a pre-check and install approved models where necessary . Some people fell for it and it cost them a lot of money. We had such a call but luckily we have a resident pompier living here and of course we were right - it was a scam and nothing to do with the fire service.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 23rd, 2019, 10:19 am

The regs don’t specify hard wired or battery operated, just that you must have them and they must be checked

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms-explanatory-booklet-for-landlords/the-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-england-regulations-2015-qa-booklet-for-the-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants

BUT I’m pretty sure local planning standards in some areas require hard wired alarms in multiple occupancy properties at least, my parents flat is in a small, modern, purpose built block and it has hard wired alarms in all flats and common areas.

There’s a twist in Chris Brookmyre’s thriller Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks that relies on removal of batteries from a smoke alarm.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 27th, 2019, 1:11 pm

I should probably the batteries in check ours...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 27th, 2019, 1:20 pm

The Fire Brigade are coming next week! Suspect it won’t be hunky firemen though.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:The Fire Brigade are coming next week! Suspect it won’t be hunky firemen though.

You might be pleasantly surprised ….. ;) ;) ;) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 5th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I was! Three hunky fireman in a fire engine!!! :o :D

They put three stick-on ones up. You can’t change the batteries on them and they will replace them when they stop working. They bemoaned the fact that the Fire Brigade cannot supply free carbon monoxide detectors due to government cuts but have told me where to get one and where to stick it. Had to do a questionnaire about cooking habits, open fires etc. and then take some advice. All internal doors should be shut at night - can’t do that as we have an incontinent dog who sleeps in the front room but pees on the newspaper I put down on the kitchen floor. Also leave all external window and door keys in the inside locks in case you need to get out quickly. This is in direct contravention to Met Police advice which tells you not to leave your keys anywhere near the doors! :shock: :shock:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Glad they did the job PP

My window keys are kept on little hooks that I could find blindfold, only just inside the windows but not visible from outside. Not of course possible with all layouts
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 5th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I was! Three hunky fireman in a fire engine!!! :o :D

Also leave all external window and door keys in the inside locks in case you need to get out quickly. This is in direct contravention to Met Police advice which tells you not to leave your keys anywhere near the doors! :shock: :shock:

You were lucky! :lol:

Would you rather be robbed of property that is insured and can be replaced, or lose your life because you can't find keys when the house is smoke filled and you are disorientated?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » July 5th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I don’t fancy either option much!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 5th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I think you just want to be rescued by the firemen :lol:.

None of my downstairs doors shut properly. They might go on the retirement 'to do' list.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 5th, 2019, 3:07 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I think you just want to be rescued by the firemen :lol:.

:lol: :lol: My girls still talk of the day when they came home from school on the bus and there had been a massive water main burst on the other side of the crossroads near us. The bus couldn’t get through and they were each carried through the raging torrent by firemen. I think they’d probably have gone back for more if I hadn’t stopped them! :D :D :D
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 5th, 2019, 3:15 pm

:lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 6th, 2019, 10:32 am

My son has just informed me that when our plumber/boilerman fitted our Nest thermostat he also fitted a Carbon Monoxide alarm. :o Shows how daft I am.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2019, 11:04 am

I was going to say that I got a CO detector thrown in with some work by British Gas installers, and if you have a maintenance contract with BG or anyone else they usually check it

Sounds as if you are sorted anyway
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop