My pet hate 'word' - LIKE

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

My pet hate 'word' - LIKE

Postby Zosherooney » June 23rd, 2019, 5:39 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... d-language

Interesting but I still hate hearing 'like' every other word..... It's not a reason to my mind, it's sloppy, lazy and unthought out language.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: My pet hate 'word' - LIKE

Postby StokeySue » June 23rd, 2019, 5:53 pm

It becomes a tic

And when these words become tics, people sometimes get so tired of them they fade

The first I remember was people using “went” instead of said, as in “she went No! so he went Yes!”
Still around but not as commonplace

Then the once ubiquitous innit, again not gone but not as frequent as it was.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Oat » June 23rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Starting every sentence with the word so. Drives me mad.

But I also hate like.

Think I'm a grumpy old woman :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 23rd, 2019, 6:16 pm

I don't mind the use of "so"
It engages you with someone when you are about to speak and it's unthreatening.

I suspect I do it ;)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 23rd, 2019, 6:21 pm

Hello - how are you? I'm good, thank you.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 23rd, 2019, 6:24 pm

I very much dislike "Can I get." As in "Can I get a glass of xyz."

The response "Yes I do." to the question "Have you got?" is rather annoying too.

I also dislike 'incentivize'. And there is another similar, which slips my mind - one which, I suspect, lIke incentivize, originated in American business speak. Prioritize used to bug me too. I know it's been around a while (in the US at least), but I'd never heard anyone use it until my husband got a job in the City back in 2000ish - but it now seems natural.
In general, stickling 'ize' on the end of nouns to make a new verb offends me somewhat :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 23rd, 2019, 6:27 pm

Ooh burglarize! Not that we use this in the UK... (yet.) Back formation...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 23rd, 2019, 6:52 pm

[quote] Have you noticed 'perfect' yet? If not, you will now :lol:.[quote/]

How right I was. I have seen an ad tonight for Surf washing soap with the catchline 'perf with Surf' ..... :rolleyes: :shock:
Last edited by earthmaiden on July 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 23rd, 2019, 7:05 pm

Or "brilliant"
That was the response recently when someone asked for my name.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm

Burglaries reminds me that we have acquired the US use of the word suspect

A suspect is a person, at least partially identifiable, who you think probably did something

As in “I suspect John Doe or another member of the company did this”

In the sort of sentence they now use on the news “ the suspect grabbed the money and ran off across the car park” they really mean “the [unidentified] perpetrator grabbed...” @as they’ve no idea who he was
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 23rd, 2019, 10:01 pm

I also accept and laud the evolution of language and invention of new words. I just hate the aforementioned ones. They are more about economy and truncation of language, in a most unimaginative way, rather than a creative expansion.
I mentioned this thread to OH and he says that the use of 'revert' has become ubiquitous in business contexts. It's used to mean "I will reply to your email" in the context of you sending someone an email, them acknowledging it but essentially not wanting to reply straight away, and so thus trying to communicate that they will do so properly later. I suppose it save typing...
Weirdly, I rather like 'repurposed'.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 23rd, 2019, 10:25 pm

Revert annoyed me at work but I don’t hear it outside

And there are are always my business classics “reach out to someone in your location” (=ask the person sitting next to you) and “ return back to myself in the envelope provided”- probably being modified to include revert :lol: but really why not just “please return to me”
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 23rd, 2019, 11:32 pm

It's wot the kidz like, innit...

ut I once had to sit through a presentation by a company from Ireland. The sales team brought the depot manager with them. It was his first trip of that nature away from home. He gave a Power Point presentation about their production methods in a strong local accent, which was fine, but every time he made a statement about the pictures on the screen it ended with the phrase "So it is, is it not". Which we found a bit tiring after a while! :o I know it's a common expression in his local area, but the other members of the team, also from Ireland, had modified their speech to be more universal.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Gruney » June 24th, 2019, 7:19 am

"snuck in" and "tasked with".
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 24th, 2019, 7:42 am

I quite like snuck. Sneaked just sounds wrong. But snuck is too colloquial.
I loathe and abhor 'reach out'. There is something... I don't know, sentimental, self aggrandizing? Some other sentiment? I am not sure what, but I don't like it! Sentiment-neutral 'Got in contact with' will do for me.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 24th, 2019, 8:46 am

Gruney, we seem to have the same tastes!

I don't think I have come across revert used as mentioned here :?.

I hate written words that end in ize and always feel ise is more British (or in many cases to use a different word such as in burglarise!). Surprisingly, the dictionary often says it is fine to use either version.

Another one I hate which the dictionary says is acceptable is orientated rather than oriented. I have only noticed it come in in the last 20 years.

I think that the dreaded 'of' instead of 'have' as in would of, could of etc will gradually become so acceptable that it will be adapted into the language as acceptable and the origin forgotten. The development of language is interesting isn't it?

PS I have just seen Suffs mention 'gifted'. I'd forgotten that, possibly the one that irritates me the most!
Last edited by earthmaiden on June 24th, 2019, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 24th, 2019, 8:47 am

‘Gifted’ rather than given :x

‘It’s not rocket science’ :x Rocket science is actually quite simple and straightforward (and much better funded) compared with the problems those of us in social work were trying to sort out :x
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 24th, 2019, 8:58 am

At the current moment in time "reach out"is my least favoured. I also dislike every sentence beginning with so, like and you know what I mean. when someone is trying to collect their thoughts

I know these are fillers and are most frequent when speaking in public. I'm good (yes dear GS I know you are but are you well?) Can I get? (Yes you can but only if you ask politely ie please may I have) The worst example of this was in a restaurant in Jersey when a waitress bounced up to our table "hi Guys what would you like to get?

However the French are just as bad. My pet hate at the moment is "Desole" meant to mean sorry i can't help but actually I'm not at all bothered
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 9:49 am

A cooking one - all those TV chefs who “love” the most ordinary things as in
I LOVE to butter the bread before I make this sandwich

I LOVE to add just a pinch of cayenne to my cheese sauce
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » June 24th, 2019, 9:54 am

Why do people feel the need to add 'of' to 'off'?
I got it off of him grrrrrrrr
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 24th, 2019, 10:18 am

Meganthemog wrote:Why do people feel the need to add 'of' to 'off'?
I got it off of him grrrrrrrr

My teacher would have said ‘You got it from him, not off him ... he is not a Christmas tree.’

:D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 24th, 2019, 10:54 am

You've just brought back a memory, Suffs. Whe I was at school - if a lad asked "please sir, can I go to the toilet?" the answer would be "you can boy, but you may not."
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 24th, 2019, 11:37 am

That’s exactly what Pa would say Gruney :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 24th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Chefs who say “This eats well”. :scared:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 24th, 2019, 12:07 pm

.. and my ma. She also ranted when people said, "Do you have?", rather than "have you got?". She nearly went crackers when I had a Canadian school friend to stay one half term and realised I had picked up a lot of her speech!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 24th, 2019, 12:09 pm

suffolk wrote:‘Gifted’ rather than given :x

That's mine at the moment, hate it!
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 24th, 2019, 12:11 pm

And Mr R and I :lol:

i heard anotherone on the World Service this moring - "She had had problems around communication" With? About?

I also intensley dislike what Mr R and I call "pale pink talk" there is one presenter of a food programme on WS who utters sentences such as "I love lucking at cuck bucks, fud is such fun"
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 24th, 2019, 12:12 pm

And Mr R and I :lol:

i heard anotherone on the World Service this moring - "She had had problems around communication" With? About?

I also intensley dislike what Mr R and I call "pale pink talk" there is one presenter of a food programme on WS who utters sentences such as "I love lucking at cuck bucks, fud is such fun"
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 12:40 pm

suffolk wrote:‘Gifted’ rather than given

midvale.png
midvale.png (90.66 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » June 24th, 2019, 1:05 pm

On one of the baking websites I visit there is a contributor who insists that the cakes she makes, which are suitable for people with a wide range of allergies and food avoidances, are 'fully intolerant'. I'm not sure how you'd recognise an intolerant cake! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Chinchilla_lady » June 24th, 2019, 2:12 pm

When making an appointment, or ordering an item being asked by the other person, What was the name, I always inform them that my maiden name was Miss B, my former married name was Mrs L, but that my current is Mrs J. Gets a blank look 9 times out of 10.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 2:46 pm

A young woman (Scots, registered dietician) mentioned on Twitter that she’d had an indulgent weekend but would “eat healthy” on Monday :spank:

At which shop can I purchase food grade healthy?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm

earthmaiden wrote:
I hate written words that end in ize and always feel ise is more British (or in many cases to use a different word such as in burglarise!). Surprisingly, the dictionary often says it is fine to use either version.

We have to use 'ize' at work, so I have got into the necessary habit. Yes, in most cases, it is acceptable in Anglo English.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 24th, 2019, 3:35 pm

I hate gifted too.

Again it's about economy of language?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 24th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Herbidacious wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:

We have to use 'ize' at work, so I have got into the necessary habit. Yes, in most cases, it is acceptable in Anglo English.

Apparently Prince Charles always uses ‘ize’ and when he was criticized ;) for writing ‘American English’ it was pointed out that HRH prefers to use the original English spelling (which was taken to the Americas by the Pilgrim Fathers) rather than the more modern version. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... -spelling/
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 24th, 2019, 6:09 pm

I like z as a letter as well. I do curly ones with tails, or crossed ones in handwriting.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 24th, 2019, 6:28 pm

A while ago my mum was in hospital and the ward sister was just awful. She came in one day and breezily asked "And how are we feeling this morning Mrs R? Are we thinking of getting dressed/"

To which Mum replied she didn't know about sister but she was still feeling pretty bad and assumed that was why she was still in hospital. As for getting dressed she had noticed sister was fully clothed and she too would like to be but because, after 3 moves of bed ,she and her clothes were no longer in contact there was not much she could do about it, Clothes were found and her own too!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Had to comfort someone whose insensitive GP had described her eye condition as “senile degeneration”

Now strictly speaking in this context senile only means “no obvious cause apart from ageing” but it is so strongly associated in most people’s minds with at best frailty and predominantly with “senile dementia” that anyone routinely using the term unqualified must lack empathy.

When my GP used the word to describe a minor skin condition, she made it clear it was only because that would give me the best results when I looked it up!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 24th, 2019, 10:47 pm

StokeySue wrote:
And when these words become tics, people sometimes get so tired of them they fade

Glad to say that this seems to have been the case with new Love Island (guilty pleasure... :oops: ) with 'Like' seemingly being replaced in a different context with 'Fanny Flutter'. I am not sure who this Fanny is, but I thought flutter was something that happened in a betting shop. :lol:

Am I imagining it or is some folk's habit of saying 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah' on rapid fire in answer to a questiin when just a 'Yeah' once would be adequate also died a death or did I speak too soon?

Individuals who have a habit of dropping lines into conversation that shouldn't be there irritate me and more irritating is once heard they are impossible to unhear. Example - an ex of mine could be telling me something at length and drop in more than once or twice 'yeah and like you say...' Well no, I'm not saying, you are. :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 7:46 am

I really hate it when people refer to a baby as 'Baby' i.e. as if it were a proper name. As in 'What does Baby like for breakfast?' Ditto 'Mum' unless it is their mum.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 25th, 2019, 8:14 am

Yes, and when someone else you hardly know refers to your mum as 'mum' e.g.'Hello, and how's mum?'
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 25th, 2019, 8:17 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Yes, and when someone else you hardly know refers to your mum as 'mum' e.g.'Hello, and how's mum?'

Grrrrr! :evil:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 25th, 2019, 9:23 am

I was going to say it's even worse when it's 'wife' :evil:. That reminds me, 'the wife' and 'wifey' unless said in a very jokey context infuriate me. Many women don't seem to mind :?.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 9:51 am

I have never heard anyone use Wife in that way. And 'the wife' or 'wifey' might be a generation thing. I've never heard anyone under 60 using it, so it should be dying out :? :shock: !!! :) It sounds patronizing to me. 'The little woman' sort of thing. Is 'hubby' thus also patronizing? I dislike that but not for that reason.

tbh honest I am not that keen on what OH stands for - the conceptual implications could be construed as romantic, I suppose, but that's not quite how I see it - but I sometimes use it because I am a bit lazy.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 25th, 2019, 10:24 am

To have. I have a chicken. Do you have a chicken? Yes, I do. ( American English)
To have. I´ve got a chicken. Have you got a chicken? Yes, I have. ( British English)
To have. I have a chicken. Have you a chicken? Yes, I have. ( Received English? Ole English??)

Like you, Herbie, I cringe when people say " I´m good". I always want to retort " Good at what?".
And as for the repeated use of "like", it´s a crutch. People use it because they don´t know what word to pronounce next.

My current favourite words to hate are " gobsmacked" ( such an ugly word!) and " going forward" , as in " I think the team, going forward, will have to tighten up its defence". What on earth is wrong with " in the future"???
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 1:18 pm

It wasn't me who mentioned 'I'm good', but I do happen to dislike that as well.

I also object to people saying "I'm sorry" then barge past or otherwise inconvenience you. They are not, or they wouldn't do it.
But quite possibly when it's predecessor, 'excuse me', became current English, people complained in a similar way :)

I am sure some people adopt the Americanisms because it sounds cool to them?

At least 'innit' seems to have gone somewhat out of vogue, I think?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » June 25th, 2019, 1:29 pm

A creep who was once temping in our office made the mistake of calling me 'luv'. I doubt he has ever made that mistake again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 25th, 2019, 3:42 pm

The word "regular" is taking over from eg. "the ususal". I really don't like that.
Gruney
Registered

Postby uschi » June 25th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I like z as a letter as well. I do curly ones with tails, or crossed ones in handwriting.

So do I! And an "L" that looks a bit like a £ at the top.
uschi
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 25th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Gruney wrote:The word "regular" is taking over from eg. "the ususal". I really don't like that.

Oh, and regular as a coffee cup size :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop