frying with olive oil v rapeseed/other oil

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

frying with olive oil v rapeseed/other oil

Postby KC2 » July 1st, 2019, 8:16 pm

Evening all!
I just had a chat with a friend whose opinions are generally pretty sound on food/foodie things, and she said she has given up frying anything in olive oil, now using rapeseed or sunflower.

I've had a brief google and evidently deep frying is not recommended with olive oil because of its smoke point, but we certainly didn't talk about deep frying (I don't think she does it) but my friend says she doesn't even soften up the onions or whatever in OO any more, only using sunflower or rapeseed. If she wants the olive oil flavour then she adds it later.

Is this mad?

Stokey Sue, is this one for you?

Thx all!
KC2
Registered

Re: frying with olive oil v rapeseed/other oil

Postby StokeySue » July 1st, 2019, 9:06 pm

It depends on what you mean by frying

I don’t use rapeseed oil as I find the smell and flavour very unpleasant. Neither rapeseed nor corn oil are allowed in this house since as far as I’m concerned they stink (literally). Not everyone agrees!

For olive oil, I’m with Nigella, I use a basic blended olive oil such as Napolina for frying where the oil is part of the finished dish, for example ratatouille or Spanish tortilla. Evoo is a condiment or seasoning used for flavour, not a cooking medium

Butter is used where the flavour is required, for example omelettes

For frying things like fish and stir fries I use sunflower oil; I think I marginally prefer groundnut (arachide) but it’s a silly price now

Lidl and Aldi are good sources of reasonably priced oils.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 1st, 2019, 9:11 pm

I use sunflower oil for almost all frying, especially since buying a ceramic non-stick frying pan whose instructions advised against using olive oil.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » July 1st, 2019, 9:15 pm

I usually use rapeseed (described as vegetable oil) as my ‘go to’ frying oil. I used to use sunflower but replaced it with rapeseed when I discovered that it’s much healthier to use it for frying ... however I would point out that I can only remember deep frying on two occasions in the past ten years or so.

I use light olive oil for softening onions etc when cooking Mediterranean dishes, but would never fry in EVOO ... heating it to a frying temperature ruins the flavour and makes it bitter ... I use EVOO for dipping, drizzling and dressing :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 2nd, 2019, 9:35 am

Suelle wrote:I use sunflower oil for almost all frying, especially since buying a ceramic non-stick frying pan whose instructions advised against using olive oil.

Interesting, Suelle.

suffolk wrote:I usually use rapeseed (described as vegetable oil) as my ‘go to’ frying oil. I used to use sunflower but replaced it with rapeseed when I discovered that it’s much healthier to use it for frying ... however I would point out that I can only remember deep frying on two occasions in the past ten years or so.

:lol: Well Suffs, that's twice more than me! I've never ever deep fried anything!

StokeySue wrote:
Butter is used where the flavour is required, for example omelettes

For frying things like fish and stir fries I use sunflower oil; I think I marginally prefer groundnut (arachide) but it’s a silly price now

Lidl and Aldi are good sources of reasonably priced oils.

I must say, we use Lidl's olive oil for pretty much everything. And yes, definitely butter for omelettes or scrambled eggs.
I don't think we've ever noticed OO turning bitter.

It's all quite confusing :? :?
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 2nd, 2019, 9:48 am

To be honest the relative health risk of using one oil compared to another at home is minimal

If you worked in a chippy and ate one of your own meals every day, it might make a difference, but if you are cooking at home, buying a litre of oil every so often you might as well be guided by palate and price, it’s unlikely to make much of a difference to your long term health as a very small part of your diet.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 2nd, 2019, 10:28 am

I am with Sue on rapeseed oil. It smells horrible. My preferred oils are standard OO , grapeseed or sunflower. EVOO for dressings, drizzling and dipping. I use EVOO from the co-op in the valley of les baux. If I want to brown something I use a mixture of butter and OO omelettes and scrambled eggs pure butter.

I do deep fry now and again,you can't make HM chips any other way, Proper battered fish, fritters and doughnuts very occasionally. i use sunflower oil.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2019, 11:17 am

I’m not keen on the flavour of some rapeseed oil, but I find the W’rose vegetable oil (which is rapeseed) to be virtually flavourless ... if I wanted a rapeseed oil for a dip or dressing I would use this https://hillfarmoils.com/blog/what-is-c ... eseed-oil/ ... I know the family who make it ... but usually I use EVOO for such things.

I hadn’t considered making an omelette or scrambled eggs to be ‘frying’ :lol: of course I use butter for that :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2019, 11:22 am

For me one of the biggest difficulties of deep frying is disposing of the oil ... driving to the local recycling depot with a litre of chip/tempura oil ... we go there occasionally to dispose of DIY waste or similar and what’s the betting that I’ll forget the bottle of oil on the floor at the back of the pantry :rolleyes:
Last edited by suffolk on July 2nd, 2019, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 2nd, 2019, 11:29 am

I love the flavour of rapeseed oil and use it a lot but I also use ground-nut oil, olive oil and sunflower oil. It really depends on what I'm shallow frying, what mood I'm in and what I have to hand.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am

Come to that, I use mustard oil sometimes too (mainly for curry-style things though not exclusively).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 2nd, 2019, 9:11 pm

I use the oils that others mention and sometimes ones such as walnut or sesame for flavour.

I think rape seed oils differ. Some are quite strong smelling but others seem fine. Rape seed oil is often made relatively locally and so supports British farmers and saves food miles, that would be my main reason for choosing it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 3rd, 2019, 7:39 am

suffolk wrote:I’m not keen on the flavour of some rapeseed oil, but I find the W’rose vegetable oil (which is rapeseed) to be virtually flavourless ... if I wanted a rapeseed oil for a dip or dressing I would use this https://hillfarmoils.com/blog/what-is-c ... eseed-oil/ ... I know the family who make it ... but usually I use EVOO for such things.

Nice link! Good to know about the W'rose oil. I really only use sunflower and olive, apart from the sesame, walnut etc like EM when I want particular flavours.
There's a green cake I made a few times with pumpkin oil!
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 3rd, 2019, 8:14 am

Suffs, I was given some Yare Valley oils, they're based in Surlingham I think. I liked them. We have local grower/suppliers too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2019, 8:48 am

EM :D the farm shop stocked Yare Valley at one time ... I prefer the Hill Farm oil but possibly partly because I used to walk over the fields where it’s grown ;) ... but I do think the flavour is good .. better than others I’ve tried.
Last edited by suffolk on July 3rd, 2019, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 3rd, 2019, 8:53 am

My friend and I went to one of the food festivals a few years ago and took the opportunity to try several cold pressed British "gourmet" rapeseed oils

We thought they were all equally nasty, reminded me of the stuff we used on Mum's G-plan teak furniture.. Not for everyone, though obviously worth a try.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 3rd, 2019, 9:11 am

StokeySue wrote:My friend and I went to one of the food festivals a few years ago and took the opportunity to try several cold pressed British "gourmet" rapeseed oils

We thought they were all equally nasty, reminded me of the stuff we used on Mum's G-plan teak furniture.. Not for everyone, though obviously worth a try.

:lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am

I use olive oil for frying - gently. I don´t think I´d want to waste it to make chips or battered fish; it´s too expensive over here.
For deep-frying, I use soybean oil ( which I dislike, but it´s often the only oil available) or corn oil - better, but more expensive.
Rapeseed oil ( Canola oil as it´s known here) is vile - I try to avoid it!
Other than that, I´ve got some mustard oil for certain Indian dishes, and some (Indian) sesame oil, which is a whole lot milder than its Chinese/Korean counterpart.
I think the most surprising oil I ever cooked with was Chinese peanut oil. It was gloriously peanutty!!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

I use Borderfields rapeseed oil because it's the one Homesense stock (and is always on at a good price). Think it's from Nottinghamshire according to the label.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2019, 12:40 pm

Are there differences in what we regard as ‘frying’?

I wouldn’t regard softening some onions and sealing pieces of meat in some oil in preparation to make a casserole as ‘frying’.
For me frying is cooking an item from start to finish in oil, eg frying an egg, or frying fish in breadcrumbs or batter, or frying an escalope ... and done in a frying pan.
Last edited by suffolk on July 3rd, 2019, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » July 3rd, 2019, 1:01 pm

OH uses butter for omelettes. I seldom fry, baking fish and most other things. I brush with light olive oil or veg oil. Didn't like the taste of rapeseed, but didn't know the veg oil we use from Waitrose is rapeseed! Thanks for the information.

No idea is this site has validity but thought it might interest. Surprised at the amount of saturated fat in veg oils. Palm oil is about 50%.

https://www.livescience.com/59893-which ... hiest.html
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2019, 1:35 pm

No idea about other own brands but ...

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 7079-17080

Click on ingredients
Last edited by suffolk on July 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2019, 1:39 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2019, 1:42 pm

... and Tesco’s

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /254918067

I wasn’t sure that they were all 100% rapeseed but it appears that at least the major ones are ... I’m not surprised given the amount of oilseed rape grown in the UK.
... and those yellow flowers on the labels of most vegetable oils are oilseed rape flowers.
Last edited by suffolk on July 3rd, 2019, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 3rd, 2019, 2:16 pm

dennispc wrote:No idea is this site has validity but thought it might interest. Surprised at the amount of saturated fat in veg oils. Palm oil is about 50%.

I’m a bit sceptical that she gives values (not even a range) for “Vegetable Oil” then admits that might be soy, rapeseed or a mixture of sources. In fact there will be a range for all of them, as they are natural products. It looks to me as if the overall drift is probably about right, but overly specific for simplicity.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 3rd, 2019, 2:23 pm

dennispc wrote:
No idea is this site has validity but thought it might interest. Surprised at the amount of saturated fat in veg oils. Palm oil is about 50%.

And what a minefield ... very interesting.

Having opened this Pandora's box, I also discovered the difference between canola and rapeseed https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-dif ... eed-206047
KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 3rd, 2019, 4:46 pm

suffolk wrote:re there differences in what we regard as ‘frying’?

I wouldn’t regard softening some onions and sealing pieces of meat in some oil in preparation to make a casserole as ‘frying’.

Good point. I was including oil I'd use for the above.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 3rd, 2019, 6:37 pm

Come to think of it, neither would I.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm

suffolk wrote:I wouldn’t regard softening some onions and sealing pieces of meat in some oil in preparation to make a casserole as ‘frying’. For me frying is cooking an item from start to finish in oil, eg frying an egg, or frying fish in breadcrumbs or batter, or frying an escalope ... and done in a frying pan.

Many recipes will tell you to fry the onions to start a recipe, and as the thread is about which kind of oil to use, I think in this context it counts,

Also, I'd do it in a frying pan most of them time, as only a couple of my casseroles go on the hob. The technique and the amount of oil used is the same until you transfer the food to the final cooking vessel, so I'm not sure it's a useful distinction for this purpose
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 3rd, 2019, 10:24 pm

KC2 wrote:
dennispc wrote:

And what a minefield ... very interesting.

Having opened this Pandora's box, I also discovered the difference between canola and rapeseed https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-dif ... eed-206047

Interesting about canola oil - I think I have read that before but had forgotten!! I've never seen rapeseed oil over here - it's all canola, I think.

Palm oil 50% saturated fat; butter is about 64%!! and Coconut oil about 90% saturated fat!!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2019, 8:45 am

Canola was originally a trademark for a variety of rapeseed aka colza- much as Cox’s Orange Pippin is a variety of apple, or Savoy is a variety of cabbage. It is now used generically for any strain of oilseed rape low in the substances glucosinolates and erucic acid.

Wiki explains it in more detail than you are likely to want
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola_oil
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 4th, 2019, 10:23 am

I can't help but wonder why Canola oil hasn't caught on in this country, if it's better for us.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2019, 10:41 am

As I said, the amount you'd use domestically "better for us" is probably minimal

And the evidence that erucic acid is bad for you is only really from rodent studies
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 4th, 2019, 11:11 am

StokeySue wrote:As I said, the amount you'd use domestically "better for us" is probably minimal

And the evidence that erucic acid is bad for you is only really from rodent studies

Thanks Sue.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop