101 Ways to Serve a Fish Finger

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

101 Ways to Serve a Fish Finger

Postby earthmaiden » August 2nd, 2019, 6:40 pm

Sandwiches, lasagne ... ?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/01/birds-ey ... -10501692/

I used to serve them to the children with cheese sauce and I must say it was an excellent combination!
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: 101 Ways to Serve a Fish Finger

Postby Busybee » August 2nd, 2019, 7:14 pm

I can’t say that the combination appeals to me but Nadiya’s version appears to be well liked, certainly on Twitter.

I love a good fish finger, Waitrose and/or Young’s chunky battered fish fingers are so tasty, especially good in a good white bread sandwich with a touch of tartare sauce. :hungry:

Can’t think that we have them any other way.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 2nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

A definate NO from me. I DO like fish fingers, and I love lasagne, but BOTH in the same dish? :sprout:
I daresay a fish lasagne would be interesting, but NOT with fish fingers.
Some things are just not meant to go together.
:sprout:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 2nd, 2019, 9:01 pm

We stayed in a B&B in Scotland a few years ago and the landlady served fish fingers on toast for breakfast. The toast was fine. The fish fingers were microwaved. Cooked but floppy and coated with soggy breadcrumbs!! :(
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » August 2nd, 2019, 9:05 pm

:sprout: Aero!
Fish fingers are best served in a butty with S & V
Or doused in tinned tomatos or beans.
:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 2nd, 2019, 9:29 pm

The whole point of fish fingers is surely that you get tender fish in a crisp casing?

So lasagne etc are out as far as I’m concerned

Cooked crisp and served with ketchup or tartare sauce, delicious, including in a sandwich

The kids at my last home liked them with baked beans, veg and sauce in one
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 2nd, 2019, 10:10 pm

Oh aero, how vile!

I like them best either with salad or with peas and mashed potato - and yes, crisp on the outside - and no bread in sight. 8-)

I expect they would be nice in a wrap with suitable accompaniments - but served whilst the fish was still hot.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 3rd, 2019, 6:31 am

I suspect there may be some folk who will only eat fish in the form of fish fingers as some seem totally incapable of coping with fish bones. If fish finger lasagne is a route to persuading those folk to try other fish dishes then it can only be a good thing :tu: Doesn’t tempt me tho’
Last edited by suffolk on August 3rd, 2019, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 3rd, 2019, 7:07 am

StokeySue wrote:The whole point of fish fingers is surely that you get tender fish in a crisp casing?

Cooked crisp and served with ketchup or tartare sauce, delicious, including in a sandwich

I am with Sue, cooked crisp with tomato ketchup or tartare sauce, I am partial to them in a sandwich too ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » August 3rd, 2019, 12:01 pm

StokeySue wrote:The whole point of fish fingers is surely that you get tender fish in a crisp casing?

Totally agree, to my mind , excellent in a sandwich , or for a bit of a trashy tea with chips or waffles and beans/peas . I suppose as others have said , if it encourages people to eat more fish that can only be a good thing . However surely it would be easier to make a lasagna using cod , essentially an unbreadcrumbed fishfinger and much nicer too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 3rd, 2019, 2:03 pm

That has to be my idea of nightmare food. I think there are an awful lot of people, not just children who have never set eyes on a real fish.

I seem to remember that the GCs used to eat them sometimes but they also loved proper fish as they called it. GS will not eat lasagne under any circumstances, having had a very bad experience at school, so nightmare food for him too!

I do recall having a laugh with Mum when we came across something called battered fish fingers. She said what poor fish, not only have they had their fingers cut off but they hit them as well. My mother was not a fan of frozen food! But then she had never been to Picard !
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 3rd, 2019, 3:52 pm

It's horses for courses. it'd not an unreasonable food when not messed about, but I wouldn't want it too often. if you've seem them made on Coast or Inside the Factory they are a very efficient way of using every scrap of fish fillet that can be removed from a fish, with no waste, the fish is frozen within minutes of being caught so very fresh when consumed, and there's nothing nasty added - there isn't even egg, as they use batter to hold the crumbs on (more economical, but also easier to handle on a production line).

A friend who didn't really like any kind of fish herself was locked out of her house on a warm sunny day, and brought her small boys round to play in our shared garden, where they where given fish fingers and beans for an emergency tea, which they really enjoyed. She then said she's get some, as it was a good way of getting them (unlike her) to keep on enjoying fish, and an easy thing to cook. Simple. Don't know why she didn't like fish - possible over exposure as her mother was pescatarian!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 4th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Sue: DS has not eaten fish all his life - nearly 50 years! I honestly don't know why. I don't think fish fingers or anything else would persuade him.
Even and so on but fish he just will not eat.when a quite small person , living in a place where the most probable source of fresh protein was fish he used to spit it out. He has caught fih, dived for scallops but fish he will not eat.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 4th, 2019, 1:11 pm

I’ve got a friend who can’t stand any form of fish, although her parents like it and her mother is a good cook
My suspicion is that in her case it’s something to do with smell, fish is notoriously smelly and I think it just smells somehow wrong to some people. She also dislikes lamb, and that’s definitely odour for her and some other people.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby wargarden » August 16th, 2019, 7:25 am

fish fingers and custard thanks doctor who
wargarden
Registered

Postby scullion » August 16th, 2019, 3:21 pm

StokeySue wrote:My suspicion is that in her case it’s something to do with smell, fish is notoriously smelly

that and the taste!
fish was always one of the things thankfully, i never had to face again after becoming vegetarian, fifty years ago.
people always use to tell me that fresh fish doesn't smell but i could still smell/taste a hint of ammonia - maybe it's one of those genetic things, like the inability to smell freesias or taste the bitter chemical in cabbage.
a cousin of my father who's father, husband and four sons were all trawler men couldn't stand the taste and smell of fish, either, and gave away all their 'bags' (of fish) that they bought back from their trips.
i don't think i've ever hd a fish finger - the nearest i was eventually allowed to eat fish was in a fish cake that had its majority of potato and swimming in tomato sauce.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Well, in that sense smell and taste are pretty much inseparable
I think a lot of these things are down to differences in perception of smell or taste
I’ve mentioned before sisters I know who can spot even tiny amounts of saccharin, and hate it. Doesn’t affect me but I can smell and taste stevia :sprout:
And of course ordinary tea smells really unpleasant to me, and quite a few people.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 16th, 2019, 4:54 pm

I can’t get goat cheese past my nose and into my mouth because of the obnoxious smell.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » August 16th, 2019, 5:57 pm

I hate the smell of tea and goats cheese . Never used to eat lamb cause of the smell. I think the only thing where my opinion on its taste and smell is different is coffee. Love the smell hate the taste
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby scullion » August 17th, 2019, 9:32 am

i have a friend who eats coffee beans and grounds but doesn't like drinking it.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 17th, 2019, 11:23 am

I do occasionally succumb to a fish finger sandwich but I would like to suggest that they don’t taste the same as they did when I was a child. It could be the old nostalgia thing but I wonder if sustainable fishing has changed things at all. I know Birds Eye are now very precise with their labelling.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 17th, 2019, 12:03 pm

I had a fish finger sandwich last night. M&S chunky cod fish fingers - not the jumbo ones - are very nice. Had it on tiger bread from Aldi. Fish fingers are a new thing for me as haven’t had them since I was young, and even then I didn’t have them often.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 17th, 2019, 12:06 pm

We don’t eat fish fingers now, but they were very useful when our children were being weaned. I used to grill one fish finger take the crumbs off, and mash the fish up with vegetables...a good way off adding protein, and one finger was just the right amount and therefore very economical if we weren’t having ‘proper’ fish.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 17th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I think the only thing where my opinion on its taste and smell is different is coffee. Love the smell hate the taste

That was me too until I discovered I like a (strong) BLACK coffee, but not coffee with milk .. :rolleyes:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on August 17th, 2019, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 17th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Just occasionally Mr S and I have fish fingers, chips and mushy peas for tea. Ultimate comfort food. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 18th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Fish is the dullest thing ever IMO, Salmon is just vile. IMO. Which leaves it all for you fish-eaters.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 18th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Seatallan wrote:Just occasionally Mr S and I have fish fingers, chips and mushy peas for tea. Ultimate comfort food. :chops:

Nowt wrong with that!
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 18th, 2019, 8:59 pm

I love fish but mushy peas are the food of the devil :sprout: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 19th, 2019, 7:14 am

earthmaiden wrote:mushy peas are the food of the devil

Yes they are.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 19th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Oooh no!! I can eat them out of the tin. I make proper mushy peas sometimes too. Fantastic with home-made faggots. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 20th, 2019, 10:39 am

Seatallan wrote: I make proper mushy peas sometimes too. Fantastic with home-made faggots.

:chops: :chef: :hungry: :hi5:

I had the ultimate fish finger sandwich last Wednesday in the local where us Fitsteps ladies usually go for after-class coffee .... as we had no class, we thought we would do lunch instead .... Well, my sarnie contained battered mini fish fillets (probably off the kids menu) in bloomer loaf with home made tartare sauce, chunky chips and a side salad .... :hungry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 20th, 2019, 11:11 am

When I was a child, we used to have cold mushy peas butties, with mint sauce. Love them - Northern Caviar!
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 20th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Has anyone tried mushy pea fritters? :hungry: :luv:

I am not sure you can buy them now, but when I turned veggie around 30 years ago, my horrified mother would stock the freezer up with these to serve me when she didn't know what else to do! :lol: I think she must have got them from Beejam at the time. I would love to be able to recreate that deliciously crispy outer with the soft and velvety mushy pea interior... :chops: Heaven on a plate with a dollop of ketchup. :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop