So what would be your eight/ten!!!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

So what would be your eight/ten!!!

Postby Pepper Pig » August 4th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Desert Island Discs that is, following on from the Chatterbox chatter. I’m allowing full works rather than excerpts because I’m nice like that. LPs will do too. Only you can have ten because I can’t get down to eight yet!

:lol:
Mine will be different in the morning.

1. Paul Simon “Africa” which is the only music in the universe that makes me want to dance.

2. G&S “The Mikado” so I can have a jolly good sing. But also a big childhood thing.

3. Haydn “The Creation” ditto, and for all the viola jokes that used to make it such fun to play.

4. Rodgers and Hammerstein “South Pacific” soundtrack because it reminds me of my granny so much. And because Mitzi Gaynor is wonderful.

5. Elgar “Dream of Gerontius” because I’ve played it many times over the years and never quite ‘got it”. I’ve put that down to not being a Roman Catholic but all that changed when I watched the Janet Baker profile on BBC4 earlier this year. I ordered the score and her earliest recording with Barbirolli and I have completely fallen in love. It is a fantastic thing discovering the wonders of a “new” piece of music at my great age.

6. Song-Soul Limbo, otherwise known as the music to Test Match Special.

7. West Side Story. (All of it)

8. The soundtrack of Brassed Off so that I can have another little weep.

9. Marilyn Horne singing this: https://youtu.be/PXiawmR-OB0

10. The Brandenburg concertos.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: So what would be your eight/ten!!!

Postby Pepper Pig » August 4th, 2019, 3:07 pm

And my luxury would be a good double bed with a change of linen. I’d like the complete works of Dickens as my book please.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 4th, 2019, 3:37 pm

You will notice a lot of ballet music. All are complete works unless stated

Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake
Prokofiev. Romeo & Juliet
Mussorgsky, In the Steppes of Central Asia
Puccini , La Boheme
Stravinsky, Firebird
Bernstein, West Side Story
Bizet, Carmen
Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue

Plus two others that I shall think about on the day.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 4th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Can you get BBC4 in Cyprus Moira? Did you see last Sunday’s Prom with the National Youth Orchestra playing Romeo and Juliet?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 4th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Yes, BBC 4 is a bit hit and miss but we managed that prom, I am looking forward to John Wilson on Friday
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 4th, 2019, 4:15 pm

John Wilson is the absolute best!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 4th, 2019, 5:22 pm

This is quite hard but,

Mahler last of the Four Last Songs _ because it is essential

Kathleen Ferrier singing Blow the Wind Southerly. I saw her perform this with my Dad just before she died.It means a great deal to me.

Local Hero The music my team comes on to the pitch with, and played by someones I taught.

Benjamin Brittens Midsummer nights Dream - especially the last scene Because it is magical

Debussy, Girl with the Flaxen Hair. Because Mr R played it to me when we first met

Ravel's Piano concerto. It is so beautiful, especially the slow movement, essence of France

Milles Davis, So What . Why not? Is there better jazz ?

Brahms Kalvierstuker. Probably the Intermezzo. Aimez -vous Brahms? We used to listen to this when we first bought this house on a tinny cassette recorderand it juts means our beloved house to us.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 4th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Beethoven 3rd symphony.
Mahler 2nd symphony - Resurrection.
Apache by The Shadows.
A whiter shade of Pale - Procul Harum.
Stranger on the Shore - Acker Bilk.
Shostakovich Piano Concerto No.2.
Barber Adagio for Strings
Bruch Violin Concerto
Wagner, the bit of Gotterdammerung from the Entry into Valhalla
Haydn Trumpet Concerto.

Tomorrow might be different and could include some Tallis, Orff, Dubliners, Sibelius, Tchaikovski, Brahms, etc.

These days it's not 8 or 10 records and a gramophone player. It's a 64GB USB drive and an mp4 player... :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » August 4th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Concerto d’Aranjuez ( not sure which version)
Elgar cello concerto (probably Isserlis because I heard him play it)
Kind of Blue, Miles Davies
Who’s Next, the Who (or possibly Live at Leeds)
Little Girl Blue, Nina Simone (includes My Baby just cares for me, that piano break is an excellent anti-depressant)
Half the Perfect World, Madeleine Peyroux
Songs of the Auvergne, Dawn Upshaw version
Hissing of Summer Lawns Joni Mitchell

That’s eight
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 4th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Some great choices. Will have to think, but Dream of Gerontius would probably on my list and Strauss's Four Last Songs. Maybe Brahms' Requiem. 'Company' by Philip Glass. I am rather fond of Holst's Hymn of Jesus. Britten's Four Seas Interludes, maybe. Tippet's Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis. Would probably have some Radiohead and Pulp in there too, and some other non-classical thing too, maybe. Or an Arvo Part piece. It's not easy to whittle it down.

My mother went to the same school - Blackburn High School - as Kathleen Ferrier (albeit 16 years later), Rats. The school was very proud of this, and my mother did see her perform, but possibly not in Blackburn.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 4th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I will give it some thought but it will include Dusty Springfield doing Windmills of your Mind.
The best version.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 4th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Lovely music so far. Am I the only person who couldn’t stand Roy Plomley? I know he was of his time but the fawning was horrible to behold.

Had forgotten Brahms Requiem Herbi. . . .

And I’d also forgotten 9 to 5 by Dolly. I will have to fit that in.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 4th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Ooh - this has got me thinking!

Would the 9 Beethoven Symphonies (I have a boxed CD set), count as one work or nine?
I'd want ALL my Agatha Christie whodunnits as my book ;)

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 4th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Am I the only person who couldn’t stand Roy Plomley?

No you are not. He took himself very seriously and V boring he was. I see that he still gets credits for the Original Idea, did he cleverly take out some sort of copyright?

My aged ancestors used to wonder whether there would be an inexhaustible supply of gramophone needles, it was the days of those wind up jobbies and the shellac records.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 4th, 2019, 8:12 pm

I forgot to insert the word German, in there PP :) I used to like to play the Denn alles Fleisch es ist wie Gras bit very loudly on my system (ideally headphones.) Was quite disappointed about how quiet it was when I first saw it performed live :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » August 4th, 2019, 9:51 pm

It may be unseasonal, but I think I’d like a bit of Christmas music in there somewhere.
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 5th, 2019, 12:06 am

There is a John Rutter Christmas arrangement which is a mix of popular carols, I don't know what it's called, but I think I might choose either that as a nod to Christmas or a very rousing rendition of Hark the Herald Angels Sing with all the twiddly organ bits if I included something Christmassy :) .

This is really hard, my final list of 8 is quite a surprise to me - you can tell I'm not highbrow!

Soldiers Chorus from Faust (because, as mentioned on another thread, a version played on a xylophone was my first and only gramophone record for a while as a very young child and I love the familiarity of the tune).

This Boy - The Beatles. (Came out when I was around 9 yrs old and Beatlemania was at its height. Friend's elder sister bought her this and we played it to death. I love the harmonies and think it one of their best).

Black Magic Woman - Fleetwood Mac (love this, still play it loud in the car and could deafen the wildlife on my island!)

I like to belt out a good hymn from time to time so a recording of Praise My Soul the King of Heaven in a full cathedral with good organ accompaniment.

Ivor Novello's Waltz of my Heart - the version played at the start of the film Gosford Park. (I am instantly back in childhood ballet classes, which I loved and it sends goosebumps of joy up my spine. I could dance to my heart's content on my island and no-one would see 8-) ).

Mors et Vita -Judex. Gounod. (for personal sentimental reasons and because I like it).

What Does It Take To Win Yor Love - Junior Walker and the Allstars (because it always makes me feel happy and I love the music).

Very hard to choose the last one. As we can have a whole album I thought a ballet, maybe Swan Lake or Coppelia. Then I wondered about the sound track of a film. On a desert island I think I would want lots to sing and dance to - I like the songs from Singing in the Rain and My Fair Lady but then I remembered Withnail and I which has a wonderful assortment and I think that wins. I hope it counts. If not I will have Coppelia.

Oh crikey, a luxury as well. I hope there are flints or something so I can make a knife. My luxury would be a big set of colouring pens, pencils and paint including ordinary ones for writing - wrapped in an endless supply of paper.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 5th, 2019, 6:48 am

Oooo I will have to think about this and come back.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 5th, 2019, 8:12 am

earthmaiden wrote:Mors et Vita -Judex. Gounod. (for personal sentimental reasons and because I like it).

This would be on my list too, I absolutely love it :tu: that and the Intermezzo from Caviliera Rusticana. If either of them are playing in the car I have to stay in the car and carry on listening.

I keep thinking of other pieces I would like in my DID list .. The Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves is one of them and probably 'PS I Love you' by the Beatles as my (then) OH requested this on a radio programme for me - many years ago.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 5th, 2019, 10:02 am

Ooooh ... I shall have to ponder on this while we’re away ... we can have a whole album? Well that’ll have to include Britten’s Peter Grimes and Isserlis’ Bach cello suites, Brittens Song Cycles with Peter Pears and thankfully his Seranade for Tenor Horn is on that album ... then I have to have Schuberts Wintereise (Bostridge version) and some Domingo singing something and Pavarotti singing some Napolitan songs ... how many is that ... I’ve not even got to Roy Orbison’s In Dreams and Elvis Costello’s Alison ;) ... I shall continue to give it thought ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 5th, 2019, 10:25 am

And I must have Annie Lennox I saved the world today cos OH says it’s about me :oops: :oops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 5th, 2019, 11:46 am

suffolk wrote:Brittens Song Cycles with Peter Pears and thankfully his Seranade for Tenor Horn is on that album

I hope there’s a comma going in there Suffs or it’s a very different beast. :scared: :scared:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 5th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Suffs you have now made me dither about having Bachs cello suite - but what would I drop?

I forget to mention my luxury which also makes me dither between severla gallons of moisturiser or my lovely pillow with silk pillow case - which of course be changed every night !
My book would have to be Elizabth David's French Provincial Cooking
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 5th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Bach B minor Mass - because I sang it every Easter for 4 years at uni, with Dame Janet and the London Bach. AND in the Carnegie Hall!
Monteverdi Vespers - I sang it at Oxford with Emma Kirkby, when she was a 21 yr old!
Tallis "Spem in Alium"
Vivaldi L´Estro Armonico
Beethoven Razumovsky quartets
Mozart piano concerti
Chopin Études - Martha Argerich, preferably.
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
Queen - a Night at the Opera
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

And I´m leaving out Handel´s Messiah because I can still almost remember it off by heart!!

A book? Blimey - probably Ken Follett´s the Pillars of the Earth.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 5th, 2019, 10:09 pm

I think that I may have to swap one of mine for some organ piece. Reger or the Mulet Carillon Sortie.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » August 6th, 2019, 7:56 am

re Christmas, I usually put on Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony, admittedly mainly for the bit they used for the Box of Delights, in the run up to Christmas. Not sure it would make the DID list though.
I have that Rutter disc too. I suppose his very intimate Faure's Requiem if I needed something to make me cry - although bits of the Dream of Gerontius will do this anyway.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 6th, 2019, 9:48 am

Dream of Gerontius does nothing for me, as do most pieces with singing in them. :o I particularly dislike the tenors and basses who seem to be straining too much and end up with a nasal squawk! Let’s face it, Beethoven’s 9th symphony is only a great piece up to the point that the singing starts, when I think it descends into a discordant mess. Maybe it looked good on paper?

I think I might actually choose the Sortie by Lefébure-Wely as the organ piece in my collection. I would need something to cheer me up if I was alone.

[edit] OH says that she will have to apologise to everyone because I hold this view....
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » August 6th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Each to their own, aero. I struggle with opera.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 6th, 2019, 5:44 pm

And I loathe piano music.

But I’m sorry Aero in musical, practical and intellectual terms discordant doesn’t feature in the description of Beethoven 9 last movement. Structurally it’s probably the simplest movement as it’s so repetitive.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 8th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Curious what we enjoy and don´t enjoy, isn´t it?
Choral symphonies...well, the jury is still out on that one. I sang the 9th once - quite a lot of fun because its rumbustious. Mahler´s choral symphonies? Nah . I don´t think they work so well.
I´m afraid I can´t tolerate anything discordant. I totally fail to see the point of dodecaphonic music ( Schoenberg, Berg, etc), even though I studied it to death. Definitely not a fan of 20th century music; I think I was born a Renaissance man! :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 8th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Me too KK, although woman in my case. And playing it in an ensemble always used to be akin to taking a Maths A level paper. :D
Last edited by Pepper Pig on August 8th, 2019, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 8th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Curious what we enjoy and don´t enjoy, isn´t it?
Choral symphonies...well, the jury is still out on that one. I sang the 9th once - quite a lot of fun because its rumbustious. Mahler´s choral symphonies? Nah . I don´t think they work so well.
I´m afraid I can´t tolerate anything discordant. I totally fail to see the point of dodecaphonic music ( Schoenberg, Berg, etc), even though I studied it to death. Definitely not a fan of 20th century music; I think I was born a Renaissance man! :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2019, 1:51 pm

My book would be the Diary of a Country Parson / James Woodforde ... it contains 18C social and political history and commentary, wonderful pen pictures of all sorts of characters, lots about the culinary arts and eating and life in East Anglia and the Southwest ... the two parts of the country I know and love the best, and it’s written by a kind and thoughtful man.

If you don’t know if you’re really missing something special. I have an abridged version that I take almost everywhere with me. :luv: it bears reading over and over again and you can just dip in and out of it. Love it.

My luxury is my studio and its contents .., continually replenished by the studio fairies :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 8th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I love books like that Suffs - those that bear reading and re-reading. Of that genre I’d go for Diary of a Nobody. I still collapse in the giggles every time I read it.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 8th, 2019, 5:48 pm

playing it in an ensemble always used to be akin to taking a Maths A level paper. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I´ve got a soulmate!!
My professors at uni were poles apart. On the 20th century end, Stanley Glasser, an avant-garde, 25th century maniac. On the Baroque end, Dr Paul Steinitz, he of the London Bach Society. The latter got me singing Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda, and the former, songs ( "wails") by Alban Berg!!
And all I really wanted to do was play cricket :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 8th, 2019, 9:02 pm

suffolk wrote:My book would be the Diary of a Country Parson / James Woodforde ... it contains 18C social and political history and commentary, wonderful pen pictures of all sorts of characters, lots about the culinary arts and eating and life in East Anglia and the Southwest ... the two parts of the country I know and love the best, and it’s written by a kind and thoughtful man.

Omg I have a copy of that! Found it in a charity shop, I think.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 6:44 am

There seem to be several different abridged versions ... which one do you have Grassy?
suffolk
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 9th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Mine would include Mahler Adagietto (S no 5); Vivaldi 4 Seasons, ‘Winter’ pref by Nigel Kennedy; Duet from the Pearl Fishers, ‘Au fond do temple saint’ (Bizet) Tallis Spem in Alium, Mozart’s Don Giovanni - all of it., Wish You Were Here ( Pink Floyd), Need to come back with other 2.
Bubbles
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop