RIP SpudUlike - recipes?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

RIP SpudUlike - recipes?

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 1:22 pm

SpudUlike, the baked potato takeaway chain went bust on Friday, one of those names for which you read the obituary and are surprised they hadn't gone years ago

In memoriam the Grauniad had done a rather lacklustre round up of baked/jacket spud fillings (have to be careful - round parts of east London, baked potatoes are actually roasties)

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/aug/06/spuds-we-like-16-ways-to-enjoy-jacket-potatoes-at-home-from-seaweed-to-baked-bean-hotpot

Felicity Cloake mentioned on Twitter that there's an Ottolenghi recipe for blue cheese and leek filling, which sounds good, I like the classic cheese and beans, can take tuna and sweetcorn with mayo, chilli in various forms

But what do you like on yours? And can anyone explain to me why coleslaw on baked spud is a thing?

Here's the SpudUlike menu, the total lack of inspiration or good vegetarian options may explain its passing
http://www.spudulike.com/menu
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: RIP SpudUlike - recipes?

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Gosh, I didn't realise they were still around either! I can honestly say I never tried them.

Anyone familiar with Milly Molly Mandy books may remember when Little Friend Susan stayed the night and they had jacket potatoes with salt and pepper and butter for supper - I longed to try one. I had to wait until I was 10 and at boarding school though where we had them for supper sometimes with grated cheese.

I have to say, that grated cheese and butter mixed into the mashed flesh then browned with more cheese on top and (very important) a crispy skin would always make me happy. I like beans or tuna mayo or prawns in Marie rose sauce too. I also like a jacket served with meat and two veg kind of meals where there is a rich gravy. I have also used leftovers involving veg etc in cheese or bechamel sauce which worked well.
Not so keen on meat or curry fillings.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 6th, 2019, 5:01 pm

A staple in my student house was a jacket potato stuffed with grated cheese mixed with chopped grilled bacon and finished off under the grill.

Have never understood jackets with baked beans or cold tuna.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 6th, 2019, 5:28 pm

I used to do grated mature cheddar, a big dollop of sun dried tomato paste, maybe chopped spring onions, and/or garlic seasoning, lots of black peper and sweetcorn, all mixed together, then spooned on top of the already-baked potato (after putting butter on each half) then put somewhere - grill or microwave - for the cheese to melt. I admit, it's a little oily.
edit: some fresh sage might be good in this too.

Failing all the s-d tom etc malarky, my preference would be for butter, cheese and sweetcorn. Not keen on baked beans, coleslaw etc.

I realize I am peculiar in preferring microwave potatoes to oven baked. When oven baked the potato absorbs too much butter for my liking. I like pools of it... Cheese has to be melted, or I will be very disappointed. It often isn't when you order one when eating out, so I rarely do.

I remember Milly Molly Mandy well.

I don't think I have ever actually eaten in a SpudUlike (pronounced Spud-You-Lickay by a childhood friend and thus always thought of as such by me) unless that was where I once ordered a baked potato with chips, and it took me ages to work out why the server gave me a funny look. (I was about 12 and I think I didn't regard one or the other of them as potato...)
Last edited by Herbidacious on August 6th, 2019, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Spud-you-lee-kay is apparently part of a Victoria Woods joke

I remember Milly Molly Mandy well (we used to call the South African team member Little Friend Susan) but don't specifically remember the baked potatoes

I do quite like fillings based on cottage cheese
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 6th, 2019, 6:01 pm

I think I’ve been in one but must’ve been many many years ago and don’t think I was impressed. Love a BP with cheese and baked beans, cheese and coleslaw, cheese and (spring) onion. Tuna with spring onion, not so keen on sweet corn but I’ll eat it, with a little mayo. Chilli con Carne, maybe with a little sour cream on top. Chicken mayo if a little left over, to use it up, maybe with crispy bacon or sweetcorn. I remember having BP with prawns in garlic butter in a pub one lunchtime - Dartford I think? It was lovely but no idea where it was or what it was called. I would love to have that again but scared as I know it won’t be as good! B P with egg mayo....no thanks!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby smitch » August 6th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Looking at that menu, I’m glad it isn’t just me who likes a dollop of Branston pickle with my spud :lol: I hate baked beans and can’t have most mayo, so for me (at home) it’s alwaysbutter, grated vintage cheddar and chopped spring onions. If we have leftover veggie chilli, that makes a nice change too. Love a good jacket spud.
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 6th, 2019, 8:15 pm

StokeySue wrote:Spud-you-lee-kay is apparently part of a Victoria Woods joke

Ah I see.

I also used to call Portakabins Por-tak-a-bins but this was a mistake rather than humour... :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 6th, 2019, 8:50 pm

We had one in Bradford (briefly), but I didn't know there was a chain of them.
My personal recommendation for jacket spuds is Brown's Coffee Shop in Halifax. They have lovely big spuds, with plenty of topping AND at a decent price too.
:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 6th, 2019, 9:45 pm

My favourite at home is a good sized spud, softened in the microwave, finished in a hot oven, a smear of butter, a mixture of grated, mature as you can get Cheddar and finely chopped celery packed into the spud, piping hot baked beans on top. A bed of nice leaves underneath the whole thing if I have some in.

I am a bit partial to using Marmite instead of butter, then just the baked beans.

Cold fillings on a hot spud just don't do it for me. Coleslaw, cottage cheese, tuna mayo - all nice in their own right but not on a hot spud, although our local sandwich bar at work does a really good hot tuna, mayo, sweetcorn and Cheddar melt spud. That one does not need butter, far too oily with.

I do remember a Spa-dooo-lee-kay (didn't Wayne and Waynetta Slob call one of their sprogs that?) opened near home in my youth, but the menu was so poor and uninspiring I never ate there. Seems the spud side of their menu hasn't changed much since!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 7th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Lashings of butter, Tezza, not a mere smear :D

In my defense, I don't have them often.

Just realized I haven't had one with the smoked butter I buy. Might be a bit much...?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 7th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I love baked potatoes, it’s a regular winter Saturday night tea.

Toppings range from cheese, beans, chopped fried bacon and sausage, coleslaw, coronation chicken, tuna mayonnaise, mushrooms etc. It all depends on what needs using up.

Absolute favourite is coronation chicken. If it’s just me and OH I bake the potato and add topping, if DS is eating with us I take the potato out of the middle mash with butter and cheese, restfuff the skins and bake again in the oven.

In fact, we are having baked spuds tonight :hungry:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 7th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Lashings of butter, Tezza, not a mere smear :D

In my defense, I don't have them often.

Just realized I haven't had one with the smoked butter I buy. Might be a bit much...?

I think I would like smoked butter. Where do you get it?
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 7th, 2019, 5:54 pm

There is smokery based in Streatham, south London, Bubbles, and I buy it on a local farmer's market (often chat to the guy about smoking :) ), but they do mail order. It is delicious. And it lasts for ages, without losing any flavour, and one doesn't need to use a lot of it. I add it to pasta or to finish off risotto.

https://www.londonsmokeandcure.co.uk/pr ... ked-butter
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 7th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Tonight we had a mixture of chopped bacon and mushrooms, beans and cheese! :hungry:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2019, 9:48 am

Jacket spuds always invoke memories of bonfire night when I was a child and the spuds were put in the embers of the fire. My sister recalls that when my parents had a big row one time, mum stormed off, leaving Dad to cook our supper; which was jacket spuds (baked in the oven) and served on newspaper, apparently to save him having to do the washing up ! :shock: :rolleyes:

I only enjoy potatoes baked in the oven to create a lovely crispy skin... then a cross cut in the top, the filling pushed up with thumbs and forefingers and usually only a large knob of butter, but sometimes grated cheese too which is then melted under the grill :hungry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 8th, 2019, 11:33 am

The McCain frozen microwave jackets aren’t half bad if you tart them up. They are occasionally very cheap in Iceland and I always have a couple of packets in the freezer. The resident son loves them. In contrast the other brands I’ve tried aren’t nice at all.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2019, 11:41 am

I Like the Bannister’s too, but I also freeze my own, not just cheapskate, it enables me to have some small or halved ones for sides, and some bigger ones as a lunch or supper dish

I do like twice baked potatoes - I wonder if they’d freeze before the second backing and finish in the combi oven?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 13th, 2019, 9:05 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Cold fillings on a hot spud just don't do it for me.

I'm the same. The only thing I'm happy to have cold on a hot spud, (and then, only because it melts), is grated cheese.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Bubbles » October 11th, 2019, 9:51 pm

According to Harden’s News, Michel Roux is reviving Spudulike! Starting with four branches, and using the Albert Bartlett potatoes his brother promotes. Wonder if it will be a success?
Bubbles
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop