CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby liketocook » August 30th, 2019, 11:01 am

Welcome to Wildies world Xander,
I'm glad I had boiled the kettle as it was all a bit sudden :shock:
Could someone make some toast? ;)
Last edited by liketocook on August 30th, 2019, 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
liketocook
Registered

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby scullion » August 30th, 2019, 11:27 am

hello x - you need to add a couple of ii (II) to the end of the roman numeral, liketocook!
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 30th, 2019, 11:39 am

scullion wrote:hello x - you need to add a couple of ii (II) to the end of the roman numeral, liketocook!

Whoops thanks, :oops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 30th, 2019, 11:41 am

Think it's sorted now :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 30th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I've just received some devastating news. You know I lost my eldest collie a few weeks ago - well I've just heard the middle one has only weeks left. Cancer. He's far too young to leave us - but distressingly, he will. I can't remember ever being this upset. I've been robbed of so much by this disease.
Gruney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 30th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Welcome Xander, should we be toasting your birth in retsina?

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 30th, 2019, 12:32 pm

So sorry to hear that Gruney … you are the third friend/acquaintance I know who has/had to make that awful decision

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 30th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Welcome Xander. I was hoping it wouldn't be Xavier after the chef who made disastrous meal we had a couple of weeks ago!

Poor you Gruney and poor dog. It must be very upsetting for you. Have some :hug: :hug: from Provence.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 30th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Gruney :hug: :hug: :hug: I am so sorry
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 30th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Gruney, I'm so very sorry to hear this :hug: :hug:

No retsina for me Moira I'm not keen, wouldn't say no to a G&T though!
We nearly called my younger son Alexander but decide there were too many ways to shorten it and at school would get one we weren't keen on! Both my boys have four letter first names so no real scope to shorten so I thought we were safe from nicknames - nope both had their names lengthened by their pals and even as adults still tend to get called by these :rolleyes: .
Grocery & meat orders managed to not arrive together thankfully. I will be vac packing for Scotland later to get the meat portioned and frozen.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Oat » August 30th, 2019, 1:34 pm

So sad to hear your news Gruney, we only have them for a short time anyway but to be robbed by C is so bl**dy cruel :hug:
Oat
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 30th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Oh Gruney, what awful news to bear. I hope you will be able to have a little more time together and can focus on the pleasure you have given one another rather than loss. My heart goes out to you. :hug: :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 30th, 2019, 1:53 pm

I’m so sorry to hear your news Gruney, they bring such joy to our lives. I hope you can have some good walks together before the inevitable happens. :hug: :hug:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 30th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Sorry, Gruney, I think that we cross posted, so sorry to read about your dog.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 30th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Thanks everybody.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 30th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Oh Gruney, I am so sorry. XXX
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 30th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Gruney, so sad, our thoughts are with you, :hug: :hug: :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby jrc » August 30th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Gruney. So sorry. :hug: :hug: :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 30th, 2019, 5:50 pm

So sorry Gruney. Horrible for you.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 30th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Gruney :hug: So sad to read you upsetting news. There are no words really, are there? I do feel for you. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 31st, 2019, 1:42 am

Gruney - so sorry to read your news :hug: :hug:

Really sad for you - sending you sympathy from Oz :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 31st, 2019, 6:02 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, steamy here but the end is in sight.
We had take away pizza last night for literally years. Usually we do not eat it as the Pizzeria is too far away but Deb had to be in that part of Kolossi so we indulged ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 31st, 2019, 6:10 am

Welcome Xander, well done LTC :tu: Oh Gruney I am so sorry to hear the sad news :hug: :hug: :hug:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2019, 6:23 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Dreamt about losing my bank card and woke up stressed at 4am ... a torchlight wander around the garden while the kettle boiled, followed by a warm drink got me back to sleep :)

Now I’m awake again and OH is making coffee 8-) :mug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 31st, 2019, 6:54 am

Morning all! :wave:. Yes, welcome to Xander. I looked up names beginning with X in case I got clobbered - they all seem to be Spanish, Greek or Chinese. I have never learned any Spanish and didn't know that they used X much.

Lovely sunny day, the washing is out already.

Due to one small bureaucratic oversight the garage called in a panic yesterday to say my car wouldn't be ready to collect. We did all the handing over of my own car though and I have a courtesy car similar to the one I have bought. I love it!! It got quite a good run yesterday as I wanted to buy an extension tent on offer at Go Outdoor. They didn't have one on display and I was told they don't put awnings out on display. The awning in question is the size of a tent and costs over £200 even in the sale. I told them I wasn't prepared to spend that much without seeing it and they shrugged their shoulders. Their website says something about friendly, helpful staff :lol:. I had just got home and DS called in a scrape you couldn't make up. I spent the rest of the day chauffeuring him round, so I'm quite glad all that mileage didn't go on my car!

Hope you enjoyed your reunion Sue. I went all the way to Australia for mine last year - wouldn't be so good probably if you didn't know if anyone you knew or liked would be there. Friend and I are going to a Heritage Open Day at our old boarding school next month. The building and grounds have a history worthy of such. We plan to go incognito and be shown round our old dorms and classrooms by current pupils then have tea and cake. I know we won't stay incognito for long!

Have a good day folks! :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 31st, 2019, 8:20 am

em, what car did you settle on in the end (and why) - or did I miss that post ? :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 31st, 2019, 8:36 am

I have had small, economical cars for years whilst trundling up and down the motorway for work and because on road parking here is at a premium. Now I'm having a Peugeot 308SW (3 years old, 10000 miles on clock!) which is like an estate car so I can use it for camping trips and carrying things. Now I've retired I don't continually look for parking spaces when they are at a premium at night (where being able to wedge a small car in a small space is great!) so won't have trouble parking very often. I went for Peugeot simply because I have used our local dealership for years and they treat me well. I am not much of a car person and appreciate that.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 31st, 2019, 8:46 am

Good morning

Gruney :hug:

Earthmaiden I think there are a lot of Xs in Basque and Catalan more than Latin based Spanish, and I think it’s usually pronounced as a soft ch, as in Arantxa (Catalan girl’s name, two tennis players) and pinxos (little Basque snacks). A waitress gave us a quick lesson in Catalan menus in Menorca but Basque remains an enigma

Have a good day everyone

I may have eaten too much breakfast, I may need a nap!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 31st, 2019, 9:42 am

There are also some Greek names starting with what looks like an X but is the ch sound in loch.
Back from various errands in including the good vegetable shop. Among other items I bought mint for Watermelon & Feta salad, the car smells of bruised mint, wonderful. I found out yesterday that some my Pissouri friends divert off the main highway to buy their fruit and veg there, preferring their quality compared to the local shops.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 31st, 2019, 9:54 am

Oh Gruney.... so very, very sorry..... :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 31st, 2019, 10:10 am

Good morning everyone,
My we've had some wind and rain overnight, it's dried up a bit now but still blowing a hooley. It's supposed to get quite cold here this evening, I may light the stove for the first time in months this evening. I did notice the bathroom felt cool this morning, not enough to pop the heating on but definitely a case of not lingering!
I've no real plans for today apart from a bit of food prep and some admin, I accidently ordered two heads of celery in my shopping so will get one chopped and frozen. My freezers are pretty full just now but I keep thinking that I should prep bags of mirepoix ready to use the amount I need, sometimes I don't need very much and end up with bits of veg needing used up. I'm sure if I played freezer tetris I could fit some in :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 31st, 2019, 10:12 am

Good morning - oops, afternoon everyone :wave:

I've spent the morning preparing /cooking ecerything for tomorrow's lunch party which needs electricity. We had a storm yesterday afternoon which didn't come to much but resulted in power cuts all evening. Everyone was so fed up we ended up all together outside with a couple of bbq's and pooled food. which was quite good fun, I contributed the rhubarb crumble I made yesterday morning - although folk here had never eaten rhubarb they really like it.

However we are promised something slightly worse this afternoon and evening . This time with heavier rain and hail - hence the cooking
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 1st, 2019, 12:02 am

Evening/morning all! A late one for me, not sure why. I rarely fall asleep in my armchair but tonight I did. One minute watching Banged Up Abroad, next time I looked up I had missed over half of it.

Spent the day in town with mum and a very excited youngest nephew. He wanted a chess set but right at the last minute chose a flashing over-sized dice. He wanted a Gregg's sausage roll for lunch so off we went, leaving my mum slurping a latte in Costa. I had a Gregg's vegan sausage roll at last and it was good! Also picked up decorating supplies to do the hallway in the morning. Oh, yippee, cannot wait. :lol:

Through heavy eyelids I wish you all pleasant dreams.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 1st, 2019, 5:27 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Sounds like a good Saturday Tezza ... hope the decorating today goes according to schedule :tu:

Also hope that the weather is kind to Rats ... I quite like the energy of storms, but enough is enough ... power cuts are tedious.

OH will be working today ... I’ll prep supper (pork shoulder, roast potatoes, carrots and runner beans) then spend some time in the studio ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 1st, 2019, 6:07 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, 1st September today, have you started your Christmas shopping :o

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 1st, 2019, 6:19 am

Morning all! :wave:. No Moira, I am just looking forward to my favourite time of year (early autumn).

Up with the lark as DS is still car-less and is getting a lift here so I can take him on elsewhere. Later I plan to put wood stain on the shed, trellis and gate in the back garden.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » September 1st, 2019, 6:48 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, 1st September today, have you started your Christmas shopping :o

Moira :mug:

Morning folks. Not started shopping but the Paramount TV channel has been advertising for a week or so that they'll be showing a weekend of Christmas films in September.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 1st, 2019, 7:33 am

Good morning wild ones. When I drewback the curtains this morning there was a beautiful rainbow in the sky, so vivid I could see every colour clearly. :D we went to the hospital yesterday OH had his ECG and went to see the cardiologist. Good news, all is ok thankfully, he is going to adjust the medication he is on he needs to reduce his blood pressure a bit more and he wants him to have a scan so they can check the heartbeat. So one less thing to worry about :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 1st, 2019, 9:12 am

earthmaiden wrote:, I am just looking forward to my favourite time of year (early autumn).

We will not be getting autumn until about November, the grape harvest is in progress, I noticed grape juice on the road as I came up the hill earlier. The annual Wine Festival has started in Limassol, always great fun if anyone is visiting in the first week in September and before anyone asks, yes, you do get free samples. Lots of typical Cypriot food on sale and local choirs, called Cantadori performing.
I shall expect see more hire cars on the road as we get a lot of couples visiting in September and Ocober.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 1st, 2019, 10:27 am

Drama here this morning ... a crash outside then a silence and a long wail ... a lad about 10/11 had come down the hill on his bike a bit faster than he should've ... his bike had one of those 'quick release' front wheels, and somehow it came off ... he catapulted over the handlebars and landed hard on the kerb hitting his face (forehead/temple area). We rushed out as did the couple up the road who work with the Scouts ... his mum and brother were further up the hill with the dog and they came running down ... poor lad felt sick and was as white as a sheet ... he said his ribs hurt too ... think he bounced them on the kerb! :shock: The mum tried to phone the dad who was out in the car ... eventually he answered and came back and they took him to A&E ... we took care of the bike and the brother's scooter ... think OH wanted to take care of the dog too, but he was put in the back of the car.

About an hour later the dad came round for the bike etc and to thank us ... he said there was no wait at all in the Children's A&E ... they don't think there's anything broken but some nasty bruises ... he'll have a right shiner tomorrow and to go back to school with ... and they're keeping him under observation for a while in case of concussion. He said they're always trying to get him to wear a helmet but he won't ... hopefully a trip to A&E will persuade him. :rolleyes:

While all that was going on we had a text from 17 year old niece to say she'd been blue-lighted to A&E on one of those backboard thingummies the other day ... she was in a judo competition and was thrown and landed badly and they thought she might have broken her neck!!! :terrified: Thankfully she hasn't and is ok ... and she said she still finished in Bronze position :rolleyes: :D

Hopefully the rest of the day will be a little calmer ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 1st, 2019, 10:34 am

Good morning everyone,
Early Autumn is well on it's way here, lots of dead leaves on the pavements and the air smells different. It's probably my joint favourite time of year along with late Spring.
Glad all was ok with your OH icey :tu:
No Christmas shopping started here though I'm gathering bottles & brambles to make gin :) .
I'm just back in from popping out to post a letter before the rain returns, there's really chilly wind and my light jacket wasn't enough although only out for a short while I was very glad to home for a hot :mug: .
I've roasted another large tray of toms, I'll skin and puree these later for more passatta/sauce. My freezer stash of garden veg is growing nicely though I doubt if anymore beans will be added this year but I'm hopeful of a lot more tomatoes. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 1st, 2019, 12:01 pm

Ice :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 1st, 2019, 12:25 pm

Gosh, so glad to hear that icey's OH and all those that Suffs has been involved with are alright! I don't understand why bike helmets aren't mandatory as they are in Australia and I'm sure other countries. If everyone had to wear them then no-one, especially adolescents, would need to feel self-conscious.

I'm taking a break from the painting. Was thinking that real painters and decorators must go stark raving mad with boredom. I have after a gate, trellis and a quarter of a shed :lol:. It will need a second coat too because I didn't do it last year :rolleyes:. I was thinking about those ads where the man (usually a man - perhaps they enjoy painting :lol: ) sprays stuff on his fence in two seconds rather than labouring with a brush. Much of the time with a brush is spent really getting the paint or wood preserver into the cracks and crevices to try and protect the wood. I don't see that spraying would do that.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 1st, 2019, 12:33 pm

Just done our fence EM so I sympathise! :D

Suffs- blimey!! :shock: Glad all the invalids are OK. Hope the rest of the day is less eventful....

Icey- good news! Bet Mr Icey is also most relieved. :luv:

Everyday is like Christmas Day here at present. We've ordered so many things for the new house- it's got to the point that when deliveries arrive I can't remember what they are. Today we've received two lovely floor lights from IKEA. Mr S is assembling them as we speak. We also have a fab dining table and six chairs courtesy of a lovely couple who operate from a local salvage yard. Table is a proper farmhouse table (found in a house clearance) and the chairs are French farmhouse vintage ones. Love second-hand/vintage things.... Very pleased indeed especially as we have friends staying over this coming Friday. First entertaining at the new house! Just need to decide what to cook now.... :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 1st, 2019, 3:02 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Happy autumn - meteroligically speaking!

Today we celebrated that - after a power cut and storm whic lasted until 9.ooam, Thank goodness I did most of the cooking for today's lunch party yestaerday

We were also celebrating DS's fete/name day and what would have been F-I-L's 100th birthaday.

Suffs glad the casualties are well - what on earth were the parents doing letting him go out without a helmet? I'm afraid his bike would have been removed by me if he refused. He's a lucky lad to have survived.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 1st, 2019, 4:14 pm

Seatallan wrote:Just done our fence EM so I sympathise! :D

Suffs- blimey!! :shock: Glad all the invalids are OK. Hope the rest of the day is less eventful....

Icey- good news! Bet Mr Icey is also most relieved. :luv:

Everyday is like Christmas Day here at present. We've ordered so many things for the new house- it's got to the point that when deliveries arrive I can't remember what they are. Today we've received two lovely floor lights from IKEA. Mr S is assembling them as we speak. We also have a fab dining table and six chairs courtesy of a lovely couple who operate from a local salvage yard. Table is a proper farmhouse table (found in a house clearance) and the chairs are French farmhouse vintage ones. Love second-hand/vintage things.... Very pleased indeed especially as we have friends staying over this coming Friday. First entertaining at the new house! Just need to decide what to cook now.... :D

Now that really sounds great. Whatever you cook it'll be great - just because you're there. Can you get Wabberthwaite sausages?
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 1st, 2019, 6:14 pm

Evening all! What an industrious day everyone seems to have had. I am loving the fact that it is autumn. There is a noticeable chill in the air, all the more so since having the windows open all day to let paint fumes out. Skirting boards in the hallway are all done so carpet laying may commence. :tu: I carried on doing the four door frames from the bottom up until I ran out of paint, then a clean up, a sandwich and a chat with my friend who is still looking for a disability confident employer to look past her wheelchair. Three interviews this week one of which she really liked the feel of. We will have another chat during the week so she can let me know if she has heard anything. We also want to plan my Christmas trip over to her during December. Only seems like yesterday I was getting the National Express to Royston. This time I think we are going to make a weekend of it.

I ordered myself a couple of treats also this afternoon. A wooden bead curtain for my kitchen doorway, and for the big, blank wall in my bedroom, a large fabric wall hanging depicting the tree of life and lots of birds and animals in psychedelic colours. Yeah man. :lol: I had a feeling this flat could lend itself to a 60's / 70's theme when I moved in. Reminds me, I would still like a lava lamp. :grin:

A quick spot of dinner - leftovers of a ratatouille style dish that I made last night of peppers, courgettes, onions, tomatoes and chick peas - then Dragon's Den then snoozy time me thinks!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 1st, 2019, 7:27 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I don't understand why bike helmets aren't mandatory as they are in Australia

When Sydney made them mandatory the cyclist death rate doubled, less people cycled, those who did ... The value of cycle helmets is highly questionable. What usually kills cyclists is being hit by a car, why don't we remove them?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » September 1st, 2019, 8:19 pm

Evening all :hug:

Gruney :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's been a busy day, farmers market first thing, then we took a picnic to Danes Dyke and then went to Bridlington for another walk and an ice cream. We came home and watched Paddington 2. It was a very nice way to spend our 18th wedding anniversary.

We have plans to go to Thornwick Bay and Flamborough Head in the next few weeks as well. Most likely with a picnic :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 1st, 2019, 9:08 pm

miss mouse wrote: When Sydney made them mandatory the cyclist death rate doubled, less people cycled, those who did ... The value of cycle helmets is highly questionable. What usually kills cyclists is being hit by a car, why don't we remove them?

Interesting, I didn't know that (about Sydney and the helmets). I do feel that even if they are only of some value that it is better than nothing. It would, of course, be lovely if cycle paths were separate from roads but that's not really practical (and would not prevent accidents such as that of the boy that Suffs mentioned).

Happy Anniversary cj!

Seatallen - your settling in sounds so exciting!

Outdoor painting all done and ticked off the 'to do' list! :bounce:
earthmaiden
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop