CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby cyprusmoira » October 26th, 2019, 12:16 pm

suffolk wrote:Great rugby result I'm not a 'rugby fan' per se, but am interested enough to be really pleased when we do well

Ditto, it was the lead on the R4 1 00 pm News, I bet that the BBC were relieved to headline a different topic :D

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 26th, 2019, 12:42 pm

It was a great match. England very impressive. Good luck to Wales tomorrow.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 26th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Afternoon. it has stopped raining :bounce: :bounce: The paddling pond has dispersed, we are back to normalish, thank goodness we put the extra drainage in. OH has just dragged the beasts off the sofa and taken hem out for a walk before it starts raining again, they were not happy :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 26th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Very pleased about the rugby despite it not being my favourite game. It is nice to have some positive news as a relief from the usual misery/ uncertainty.

S-i-L has just left and we are both exhausted. She is one of those people who make you feel on edge all the time. She means well but, like her father she is constantly on the move and can't settle to do anything. She found last night's meal a bit of a trial I suspect although she clealry enjoyed the food sitting for more than 30 minutes is difficcult for her. As for the snails if it hadn't been mentioned that they were indeed snails you could not have known by looking at them. Each one was encased in a tasty mushroom sphere then in fine crispy crumbs. The serving was 4 spheres on a creamy mushroom sauce -delicious :chops:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 26th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Afternoon all.

The rain has decided to subside. Just as I got home from town, drenched. :rolleyes: I managed to pick up a small selection of art supplies and a copy of HFW's 'River Cottage -
Fruit' book for £2 in the lovely BHF shop.

The bus journey home was hairy. I have a dislike of the driver behind the wheel as he is usually rude, grumpy, never waits for his passengers to be seated before pulling away. I nearly went flying getting on with three bags of shopping, was thrust out of my seat as he hit a speed hump faster than he should have, then after letting two passengers off at my stop, failed to notice me walking down the aisle, lifted the floor, shut the door, pulled away. So I'm shouting 'Wait please driver!' The next stoo is a fair trek away. He swung over, I nearly went flying again, and without so much as a word of apology or helping hand he watched me with a smug look on his face as I climbed down with my shopping into the road from what felt like a foot up in the air. So his bus company have just had an email.

I ordered broadband this morning. I should go live on 15th and will have a landline number for the first time in four years. That has pleased my mum who gets free calls to landlines. It should open up a whole new world to me also. :bounce:

Right, what's for dinner, I'm starving! :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » October 26th, 2019, 10:19 pm

I’ve never eaten, nor wanted to eat, snails. But as a child, I used to love willicks....what’s the differencey?? ;)
Amber
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 27th, 2019, 5:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I’ve updated my Board Preferences so my Board Clock has been reset ... now to reset my body clock :lol: It won’t take long... by tomorrow morning I’ll be in sync again. :tu:

It’s as well to let the bus company know if there’s a problem Tezza :tu: ... our drivers here are very good, always waiting until folk are seated even if someone’s being a bit slow cos they’re chatting. If they start to soon and the bus lurches folk can be injured. Especially folk with dodgy knees :shock:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 27th, 2019, 6:55 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I am about to start my twice yearly wrestle with the clock on this laptop, it does not like change. I wonder if the clock in the car in the car will change automatically, it did in the Renault but that was a higher spec.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 27th, 2019, 7:33 am

Morning all! :wave:. A bit odd being at someone else's house when the clocks change. It meant a very good sleep but a wait for :mug:. Thankfully most of my important clocks change automatically. I think I know how to do the car but we'll see.

Tezza, do watch the landline call charges and what costs what. Mine are free at weekends but very expensive during the week. I prefer using it as my mobile doesn't work well in the house but recent regular calls with DS turned out stupidly expensive.

Waved to Suffolk and Chinch yesterday as I passed. Hope Chinch is ok :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 27th, 2019, 8:08 am

Good morning wild ones. It's stopped raining :bounce: :bounce: the Sun is out too :bounce: :bounce: I turned all the clocks back before I went to bed, that is except OH's, he said leave it he would do it. He didn't, :twisted: so 5am he was up clattering about :twisted: :twisted: I just have the car to do, I hope, it's easy to change :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 27th, 2019, 8:34 am

EM I expect Chinch is busy making Chr***mas cards to sell for the Cats Protection League.
:wave:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 27th, 2019, 9:06 am

Of course! :xtree:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 27th, 2019, 9:47 am

Good morning everyone,
It's another cold & wet one here this morning though it's supposed to dry up later and dip to below freezing overnight. I'm looking forward to it being dark by 6pm!
I had a productive day in the kitchen yesterday I made two soups (Wood & Walters anyone? :lol: ) leek & potato and a spiced lentil, sweet potato, carrot & kohlrabi. I cooked a fish pie for dinner and prepped then roasted a huge tray of tomatoes for passatta.I really enjoyed just pottering and sitting at the island chopping veg while listening to music, lifted my spirits no end. :D
Apart from sorting out my nephew's 21st birthda pressie I've not much planned for today, if the weather perks up I'll do a bit in the garden otherwise the sofa and a book sound appealing. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 27th, 2019, 9:50 am

Good morning
All clocks back except the microwave (most of them do it themselves)

We have sun so as soon as I’ve had another coffee, boots on and off to the wetlands

My cold seems to have given up, so I hope a bit of fresh air will totally clear it up.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » October 27th, 2019, 10:14 am

Hello.

I am still about, no reason for not posting, yes up to eyes in glitter and fake snow etc, sparkly cats are the order of the day. Had a lot of family stuff going on too, and started to decorate the spare bedroom as well.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 27th, 2019, 10:30 am

suffolk wrote: If they start to soon and the bus lurches folk can be injured.

This has happened to one of my neighbours … who went flying and has broken a hip :( :shock: She is now undergoing physiotherapy - hobbling up and down the road ..
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 27th, 2019, 10:56 am

The recent rain has started the grass and weeds growing, so we are turning green. Deb has been raking up the leaves in the garden, the bulbs are coming through on schedule and possibly an early orchid, variety unknown yet. The olive harvest has started.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 27th, 2019, 11:01 am

Morning all,

Full sunshine here, lovely! I have coloured my hair, showered, cleaned my wet room top to bottom, Hoovered, set my clarinet up ready to take that up again and charged my Kindle. The clarinet is out because noise wars round here has turned into an absolute farse. Neighbour with obvious mental health issues is being offered help but keeps cancelling meetings. I think I mentioned the friendly note through his door, asking him PLEASE stop waking me up shouting in the middle of the night. A thousand apologies etc but nothing has changed. 3am I was woken up by him wailing and crying up to God for help. I cannot put my life on hold for this situation, and like my Kindle, getting broadband, picking up my art and home food project again, my clarinet is part of me and I am fed up going without because of others. I know the council have it in hand and I will be quiet at the specified times, but enough is enough.

EM - thanks for the heads up re landline costs. :tu: I havd been stung before and will not be using it for outgoing calls. My mobile is unlimited for that. :grin:

I flummoxed Amazon when I tried to re-register it to my current Amazon account. I don't think anyone still needs help with a third generation, which is the one I have. I will probably read what's on it then wind it down and switch to tablet and probably Amazon Prime.

Bad luck Wales.

I should be off shortly to change a duff pot of paint at Wilkinson's. I told them the problem and they have agreed to swap without a receipt. Must be a known dodgy batch.

Terrible that a dodgy bus lurch resulted in someone breaking their hip! I am glad I sent the email. Will report back on the bus co's reply.

Right, best dry my hair, my head's cold! :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 27th, 2019, 3:42 pm

I was about to pop in to say Hi, got listening to the footie then fell asleep. The change to GMT always puts. We had a roast chicken with broccoli puree and Parmesan fennel and potatoes for lunch followed by meringue, cream and raspberries. Not exactly a tiring meal to make and we ate it in the veranda with all the windows wide open and the lovely autum sound of the big bees buzzing in the ivy on the wall. Such a sleep inducing sound.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 28th, 2019, 6:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it is raining here which is unfortunate as it is a Public Holiday which means parades, I bet that they get cancelled.
Despite all the recent rain there was a wild fire on the other side of the Kouris dam, we could hear the helicopters.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 28th, 2019, 6:47 am

Good morning Moira and the rest of you as you arrive :D :mug:

We have frost on the roofs for the first time this year Brrr!

I have to get a wriggle on this morning ... the car is due at the garage on the other side of the city for her MOT at 9:20
:shock:
Last edited by suffolk on October 28th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 28th, 2019, 7:36 am

Morning all! :wave:. We were just saying last night that it felt as if there might be a frost this morning.

Wending my way home today. It's been a lovely break. Yesterday was such glorious weather we had a lovely woodland walk and lunch out.

Hi Chinch! :wave:. Good to 'see' you, will wave as I pass later. Not enough time for Wildie meets this time.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 28th, 2019, 7:52 am

Good morning wild ones. We have fog and it is very cold but no frost. I put the heaters on in the greenhouse last night to keep the flowers warm :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 28th, 2019, 7:59 am

At the airport on our way to Lisbon, where we are due a very wet but warm few days. Looking forward to some lovely food, the Time Out market has been earmarked for lunch.

See you all on the other side.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 28th, 2019, 8:18 am

Have a lovely time Bb 8-)

I’ve just been out to defrost the car ... our front garden is in a real frost pocket and the windscreen is frozen on the inside as well as out :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 28th, 2019, 9:17 am

I take it back there is frost the car windows and roof are white. :rolleyes: I just checked the thermometer it's -1C at the moment. Have a lovely time BB :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 28th, 2019, 10:41 am

Good morning everyone
Have a fab holiday BB.
Heavy frost here this morning too it was -3C first thing, it's sunny now but still icy in shaded areas. It was dark well before 6pm yesterday and the frost started coming down almost straight away. I don't mind the cold if we get sunny weather to go with it. It's to be anoter cold one here tonight before it gradually warms up a bit before we get rain coming in later in the week.
I've a grocery delivery due this morning and then I will get wrapped up a potter in the garden for a bit. Even if I don't get much done I like to get out in the fresh air whenever the weather allows during the colder months.
Leek & potato soup for lunch and something involving eggs for dinner tonight.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 28th, 2019, 10:53 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Not good here. I have been up all night with D&V which has been threatening for a couple of days. I feel washed out and light headed and I am really not used to feeling under the weather like this.

We managed to get the bed changed and the linen washed and I have the rest of the roast chicken I cooked yesterday so we won't starve or rather Mr R won't the mere thought of food makes me want to :sprout:

Have a lovely holiday BB
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 28th, 2019, 11:09 am

Good morning
Oh dear Rats. Take care, and get better soon :hug:

Another sunny day here, will get up into the attic while it’s well lit and sort out the wine

The fire brigade are coming this afternoon to sort out alarms
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 28th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Oh Rats- I do sympathise having had similar a month or so ago. Horrid isn't it?

Hope you feel better later. At least it doesn't usually last too long. Get well hugs from me. :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 28th, 2019, 1:31 pm

The internet disappeared here, I know that there are storms nearby but we did not lose power at any time
StokeySue wrote:The fire brigade are coming this afternoon to sort out alarms
Make sure that they take any bits with them, you do not want another cricket hunt.
Rats: I hope that you improve soon. Don't tell your SIL, she will blame the snails.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 28th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Oh get well soon Rats ... there’s a lot of it about. Keep your fluids up :plink:

Lola sailed through her MOT but only just started first thing this very frosty morning ...they checked the battery and it’s very weak so they’ve ordered me a new one. I’ve never bought her a new battery in the seven years I’ve had her, and and she has all the bells and whistles that were available when she was built, plus an electronic roof, she probably needs a new one now. :D

I’ve also found a chap to come out tomorrow afternoon to fix my jammed oven knob

The garage have just phoned ... they’ve got the battery and can fit it now .... see u later :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 28th, 2019, 2:08 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:The internet disappeared here, I know that there are storms nearby but we did not lose power at any time
StokeySue wrote:The fire brigade are coming this afternoon to sort out alarms
Make sure that they take any bits with them, you do not want another cricket hunt.
Rats: I hope that you improve soon. Don't tell your SIL, she will blame the snails.

Moira

Two good points Moira! :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 28th, 2019, 2:49 pm

suffolk wrote: I’ve never bought her a new battery in the seven years I’ve had her,

Eh? This is still 'Suff's new car' in my head, what happened?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 28th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Wasn’t it EM who had a new car? Suffs’ was just a bit sick.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 28th, 2019, 3:46 pm

EM has recently, and I remember Suffs car being on the sick list recently, the description of the purchase which Suffs was VV pleased about was very vivid.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 28th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Lola has her new battery :D

Now I must sort some supper out ....
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 28th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Home at last via a camping shop in Oxford and Sainsburys here to get enough in for GD's visit and for me tomorrow. Going to have a break before unpacking everything.

Sorry you've got a lurgy Rats - hope you make a speedy recovery. :hug:.

Glad your car is all nice to know Suffs!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 29th, 2019, 6:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have given in and put the big blanket on my bed, previously I just had a light quilt.
I think that our rain has stopped for this week..

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 7:40 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

We only have a 4tog quilt on the bed at the moment, but for the past two nights we’ve had a thin blanket on top ... think we’ll be changing to a thicket duvet soon.

This morning I’ll make spag bol for supper tonight ... then it and I can be out of the way when the repair man comes to fix the oven knob this afternoon.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 29th, 2019, 8:07 am

Morning all! :wave:. No idea of my quilt tog, I think it has thinned over the years but as long as my electric blanket is on when I go to bed and travelling rug over the top I am nice and warm all night.

Looks a bit dull out there but rain not forecast so should be able to have a muddy walk with GD. We might do some Halloween themed baking too. I arrived home yesterday to find a card saying there was a package back at the sorting office which needs a signature. I have no idea what it is but won't be able to go until tomorrow. Out tonight to my ladies group, looking forward to a quieter day tomorrow.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 29th, 2019, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. It's freezing, everywhere is white with frost. There is an article in the Mail saying anyone with an older IPad or IPhone need to update or will not be able to connect to the internet, if I can get onto the computer I will post a link to the article, I am on my fire at the moment and have no idea how to do it on this :rolleyes: (senior moment) :shock:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 29th, 2019, 8:46 am

What do they mean by older? I have a 5 year old iPad and a 6s phone. I find that if I don't update them, they doesn't function properly after a while (Or 'go all mardy' as I usually put it.) OH was using my old 5s phone and it couldn''t/wouldn't take the lartest update which he needed for work, so he had to get another. He went for a refurbished 6S (Have been teasing him about receving stolen goods ever since. And it's clearly come from America.) which he says won't update either now. (Odd because my 6S will.) It's going to become our new iPod when he replaces it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 9:30 am

My iPhone wouldnt do the last update properly ... whenever I tried to make a call I got a message saying that call wasn’t permitted from my phone. I phoned Virgin (I have a sim only contract with them) and they said there was a known problem with the update and they did it from their end. All I had to do then was take the sim out and put it back in again.
When I checked my call log the numbers I’d tried to ring showed up as Belgian, although they were DD, OH and my home landline. So if looks as if it was something to do with the geo-whatever thingummy that the article talks about.
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 29th, 2019, 9:56 am

Good morning everyone,
Hope you are feeling better today Rats :hug: :hug:
It's an android I have rather than an i-phone and so far thankfully no problems with it however despite it not being even a year old there's a newer version out so no doubt just a matter of time before my one gets "clunky". It's my laptop that's giving me grief, it's definitely failing slowly so I'm on the look out for a new one before it completely gives up the ghost.
Frosty again this morning when I got up, I need to pop out for a bit and will be getting well wrapped up as although it's sunny just now if it's anything like yesterday it was still really cold outdoors.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 29th, 2019, 10:06 am

Back from various errands including standing 35 minutes in the queue at the Hellenic Bank :o , I know that timing is correct because I checked the clock as I joined the queue. There were only two bank tellers, a third one did arrive, allowing the other to go to her break.
I had to take this lap top to the doctor, I managed to lose the bottom third of the page, he put it right with one click :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 29th, 2019, 10:10 am

I think the update before last (the one from a couple of weeks ago) was updated itself within a week. Being generous to them, I suppose they don't always know what will happen until it's been widely disseminated. I shall check my iPad tonight.

I don't have much luck with laptops. I seem to need a new one every two years. Doesn't matter what the brand is... OH, on the other hand, has had two laptops in the last 10 years or more. But he doesn't put much on them. I guess that must be my downfall.

Reminds me, my external backup hard drive broke on Saturday. I need to get a new one (or two. Should really have two...)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 29th, 2019, 10:25 am

Good morning everyone :wave:
ceptexyone. I think I can report a slight imorvement but still feel not at all myself. Mr R was told yesterday that there is a lot of "Gastro" doing the rounds. It seems to come on gradually and takes a good food days to go completely. It's not Noro virus but is viral so not a lot one can do except sit is out. The GP doesn't want people with symptoms visiting the surgey and has said he would rather make home visits if folk are really concerned.

It's a lovely mroning though and the sun on the balcony is very tempting.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 29th, 2019, 10:32 am

Good morning
My iPhone 7p and my iPad are supposed to auto update it both needed a bit of coercion to do the big update to iOS 13 which could have been down to my WiFi They have however successfully taken the little bug fix updates ok

It’s been fine. One thing I found with both was that it was worth closing all open windows after the big update and turning the device off and on again. This cleared up a load of little niggles. You can understand an app getting a bit confused if it was working away in one framework and that framework suddenly changed around it.

The only thing is, it reset some of the accessibility options to default and turned on multitasking so I had to wrestle with the settings. Something went a bit weird with Safari windows opened in apps but that was one of the first bug fixes and it’s fine now

Better get on. Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 29th, 2019, 10:44 am

My laptop died recently but the man said it was in good condition and worth updating (and he wasn't a con man). It cost over £300 with all the bits but should now last long enough to have been worth it.

Hope that MrR.will escape the horrid lurgy Rats. Take it easy until you are better!

I have just read that John Lewis is trialling getting rid of 5p plastic bags altogether and expecting people to bring their own. I do object to buying an expensive (or any) garment and not being able to have a clean bag, surely they could offer paper based ones? If you bought a dress, a ball gown or coat you might not have a suitable bag at home or you might not even have planned to buy it. It's rather different from not having some kind of emergency bag which you carry in case you need a few groceries. :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop