CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby Herbidacious » October 29th, 2019, 10:50 am

I did that with my last laptop, EM. it worked ok for a while, then... :o Actually it does still work. It's slow but ok to use as my work laptop when working remotely.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 29th, 2019, 10:54 am

earthmaiden wrote:
I have just read that John Lewis is trialling getting rid of 5p plastic bags altogether and expecting people to bring their own. I do object to buying an expensive (or any) garment and not being able to have a clean bag, surely they could offer paper based ones? If you bought a dress, a ball gown or coat you might not have a suitable bag at home or you might not even have planned to buy it. It's rather different from not having some kind of emergency bag which you carry in case you need a few groceries. :evil:

I agree with you that clothes should come with a free bag for protection, but I now carry an extra bag which I keep just for clothes, as I often make spur of the moment purchases in charity shops. I suppose if you've spent a lot of money on a big purchase such as a coat or suit, then paying a few pence for a suitably sized bag is insignificant.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » October 29th, 2019, 11:13 am

I remember reading some time ago or it may have been on TV that although Selfridge's bright yellow carrier bags were expensive to produce they provided a lot of free advertising.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 29th, 2019, 11:18 am

Remember when you knew an outfit was posh because it was put into a complicated folding paper and card carrier with cord handles, like a small paper suitcase?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 11:26 am

Bravissimo have always provided that sort of bag ... although a little smaller. I think East did too
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 29th, 2019, 11:39 am

Exactly. I wouldn't mind paying a small amount for a sustainable bag if I had spent a lot on an item and if it is expensive then it merits the tissue and decent bag. I think charity shop items, although sometimes very good, are not quite the same as something new and expensive, the carrier bags I carry in my handbag aren't dirty but neither are they gleaming. A designated bag is a good idea (we'll all need even bigger handbags soon!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 29th, 2019, 11:40 am

I still have a black cloth 'P.E' style bag from Warehouse from a purchase c. 1990. It's my potato bag.

(I think I still have the garement too... wouldn't wear it though.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 29th, 2019, 1:26 pm

In France we always, except in the cheapest of shops get proper paper carrier bags with handles or a box as Sue describes. Can be anything from wine to mmand of course clothesake up and perfume
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 29th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 29th, 2019, 2:55 pm

OK, that is a Chicken & Apricot Tagine in the Slow Cooker. it was going to be C and Pumpkin but I decided that the Butternut Squash was too big and I was not likely to use the rest of it in the near future. It then turned C and Prunes but the food moths have had a go at the prunes. It is now C and Apricot.
As part of the plastic bag discussion does anyone else have problems with greengrocers etc trying to insist that you put melons, pumpkins or squashes in plastic bags ? It happened again this morning, I did persuade the young man that my squash did not need a bag.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 29th, 2019, 3:15 pm

We had a bit of an issue locally with the Turkish and Cypriot grocers trying to give us unwanted plastic carriers, especially before the new rules came in
I think they like to give you something as a courtesy, a little extra

But most have got the hang of it now, will pack your own bags for you instead, honour is satisfied and we get so few plastic bags the Food Bank has had to appeal for suitable plastic and paper bags to give to clients

I have some nice chicken thigh fillets, I am cogitating; tagine, chicken Chettinad, or a sort of tagine/casserole thing involving the stray can of artichoke hearts I found in the cupboard?
I think probably tagine, the artichoke thing makes so much by the time you have added in the artichokes and the flageolets that also go in it makes enough for a ruby team. The Chettinad curry does look good though, a Diana Henry recipe. :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 3:27 pm

The oven has been fixed £40 flat rate for a visit. Seems fair to me. :D

I can bake bread tomorrow :D

It’s not spag bol today as I couldn’t find the mince in the freezer ... however I did find some salmon fillets so that’s what we’re having.
But I have found the mince now so we’ll have cottage pie tomorrow. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 29th, 2019, 4:15 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Exactly. I wouldn't mind paying a small amount for a sustainable bag if I had spent a lot on an item and if it is expensive then it merits the tissue and decent bag. I think charity shop items, although sometimes very good, are not quite the same as something new and expensive, the carrier bags I carry in my handbag aren't dirty but neither are they gleaming. A designated bag is a good idea {we'll all need even bigger handbags soon!).

I don't usually carry a handbag when shopping, but use a shopping bag with umbrella, extra bags, plastic envelope with notebook and pen, and everything else needed, rattling around in the bottom.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » October 29th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I've just had a very Irish telephone conversation
I'm booking a hotel in Cork for next spring, and I couldn't work it out from their website
The receptionist said I should have used Booking.com, it's a much better web page :D

Tried to book some foreign currency through the new "easy" bank app on my phone. It's so complicated (and stalls on Verified by Visa) I'll just walk into the bank as usual

I am beginning to feel vaguely organised
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 30th, 2019, 6:27 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Sue, did you manage to book your hotel room after all that?
Nice morning here but I have a large pile of washing which will require ironing :o

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 30th, 2019, 7:55 am

Good morning wild ones. No frost this morning but it's very cold. I too have a washing mountain again :rolleyes: where does it all come from :?: :?:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 30th, 2019, 8:43 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

It’s chilly but dry and no frost :D

A bit of washing to do here, and bread and a cottage pie to make ... and tennis at 11.

Better get a wriggle on .....
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 30th, 2019, 9:15 am

Morning all! :wave:. Have had a nice lie in after yesterday's whirl of unpacking, GD and evening meeting.

Nice day, if I am ready in time I'm going to the oldies cinema to see 'Blinded by the Light'. I only go for the coffee and Rich Tea really :lol:. After that I must blitz the house, it's a bit chaotic after GD's visit.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 30th, 2019, 9:45 am

Good morning everyone,
Frosty again here but a lovely bright & sunny day, it's to freeze again tonight and then get milder over coming days as the rain comes in. I do hope the wet weather holds off until after the "guisers" have been out tomorrow.
I need to do some chores this morning and then sort out my finances as it's "pay day" for me today, I do like to make sure my figures balance before the new month starts (note to self need to get out more :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
Inspired by Sue's mention of a tagine it's harissa spiced chicken & roasted veg for me tonight. :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby nursemimi » October 30th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Hello packing to do today as we are leaving tomorrow to go on our cruise.
I also have shopping to finish up Youngest son is staying here while we are gone.
Cold wet and windy here glad we are going somewhere warm.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 30th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Oooh, Mimi - you're a long way from the sea! Hope you have a lovely time!

Oldies cinema was good but not what I expected. It wasn't until I had bought my ticket that I realised it was 'Mrs Lowry & Son' today and 'Blinded by the Light' next week :rolleyes:. Some good acting though and I had a custard cream with my coffee. I was slightly irritated by several separate groups of people who came in late then faffed about before sitting down. I think most OAPs should be able to get to an 11am start on time. There was one quite entertaining fracas when some people had misread the seat number on their ticket and were confronted by the correct seat number holders, luckily that was a few minutes before the film had started. During a scene in the film where someone belches loudly at the table I thought that the woman next to me was going to leave she was so so affronted :lol:. I've never had so much free entertainment at the cinema before :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 30th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Been out on a tour of Wilton’s music hall, which was great
I decided not to go to lunch with the group as I’ll be eating out at backgammon tonight so walked back to Liverpool Street station via Spitalfields. Was very nice but I found the huge Uniqlo on Commercial Street , which had some great sweaters and shirts so it was an expensive (but useful) detour. Weather currently quite pleasantly sunny but it’s getting quite nippy out

Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 31st, 2019, 6:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:Been out on a tour of Wilton’s music hall
I would like to see Wilton's, it gets used as a location for so many films and TV programmes.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 31st, 2019, 8:09 am

Good morning wild ones. It's frosty in sheltered areas this morning and feels really cold. Shopping day again, there is one lonely carrot in the veg draw :( The fireworks started last night, Frankie is petrified when they go off, I suppose we will have them until Christmas now :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2019, 9:28 am

Morning all! :wave:.
Endless fireworks and animals are a worry aren't they. I think that the suggestion that they should only be used domestically on designated days is worth consideration. At least you could plan round it.

Nothing in the diary today. Need to go and collect something I ordered. It is an awning/tent that fits onto the car for camping so that you have the bed in the car and space to stand up and store things as well. Not really the right time of year but I'll be ready to go once winter's over! Trying to think of somewhere I can go to practice putting it up, the place most people go is waterlogged in winter months so no good.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 31st, 2019, 9:34 am

Back from our local independent supermarket, it was very busy for a Thursday. Because they are both big and independent they sell items from small growers and producers. This morning there was a tray of some green things about the size of a mango in the vegetable section, Mr Google confirms that they are Chayote, a type of squash, I checked recipes, I do not think that I shall bother buying any.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2019, 9:36 am

cyprusmoira wrote: Chayote, a type of squash, I checked recipes, I do not think that I shall bother buying any.

i bought one once - there are better veg to use.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2019, 9:39 am

earthmaiden wrote: an awning/tent that fits onto the car for camping so that you have the bed in the car and space to stand up and store things as well.

we have one of those - it's not designed to fit on our car but it works for us and is really useful - and at least there's no chance of getting wet bedding if it rains.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2019, 10:01 am

As I got the car with this set up in mind I'm hoping it works well. I have done quite a bit of research into what works for people. The nicest one costs over £400 which I couldn't justify, this one was considerably cheaper but I'm not planning on camping on mountain tops or during hurricanes so hopefully it'll do :). I have learned a lot about camping in a car lately - such as it not being a good idea to introduce unearthed electrical cables into it as the whole body can be charged :?. I have never used hook up but would like to- it will stay in the tented area if I do!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 31st, 2019, 10:16 am

A few of my friends have one of these! :)

All you have to do is remove the rear hatch. They make them for other cars too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toppola
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » October 31st, 2019, 10:40 am

Good morning
We have sun!
I need to keep going steadily to get everything done
So have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 31st, 2019, 11:22 am

Just had an email from the Eventbrite ticket system
Subject : Training for the Apocalypse

:shock: :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2019, 11:24 am

aero280 wrote:A few of my friends have one of these! :)

All you have to do is remove the rear hatch. They make them for other cars too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toppola

I have seen them advertised but never 'in the flesh'. Really don't need anything as elaborate though - and certainly don't want to remove the hatch :o - I just wanted the simplest tent. The one I'd really like is air and doesn't need messing about with poles on elastic as my current small tent does but I will remind myself that I saved £300 when I'm cussing it :lol: . The important thing is that you can leave it on a campsite and drive away for the day.

Sue - :lol: :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 31st, 2019, 12:28 pm

Good morning everyone,
Sounds as though your all sorted EM, camping no longer appeals to me these days but one of my friends has the set up you've described and loves it so hopefully you'll find it a good investment.
Frosty again this morning but not quite so heavy, it's all away now. It's sunny just now but we've rain forecast to come in overnight. I'd much rather have it cold but sunny.
I'd just about got myself organised when my sister arrived unexpectedly, her internet had died and she needed to use my laptop. While she got sorted out I made us both toast & tea and we spent a good hour or so just generally putting the world to rights.
Sweets have been dropped next door for the kids' Hallowe'en now my kids are grown up I just shut the front of my house so I don't get any guisers, folk are generally very good at not knocking doors unless the storm door is open and the hall light on so I shouldn't be disturbed.
I'm still ploughing my way through the out of school club accounts, I spent ages yesterday in detective mode trying to find an apparently "missing" sum of money, found it thankfully and have sent the records back to the team to correct. I expect this afternoon to be more of the same!
liketocook
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 31st, 2019, 1:10 pm

My son bought a tent with fibreglass pole frames. It comes out of the bag and you shake it and it pops up all ready to use, apart from some pegs around the edge. !t was really easy!

...but you should have seen him trying to put it back in the bag!!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2019, 1:22 pm

I bought a pop up play tent for GD. It is large enough for a 4 year old to sit in in the sitting room so not very big - I haven't yet managed to fold it so it goes back on the bag, despite the rather unhelpful pictorial instructions!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 31st, 2019, 1:29 pm

That’s why so many tents are left behind at festivals.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2019, 5:25 pm

and cos they're wet and muddy!

our car tent is a khayyam one that, also, can be driven away from when erected.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 31st, 2019, 7:55 pm

Nasty wet and dark day. The monsters have been round and consumed large quantities od Hallowe@e'n thing and read a n MR James ghost story tonightcookies. the pumpking cutter was very effective. I'm still not feeling up to eating much. Sonia tells me that several folk have been really unwell. Mr R has promised/threatened to do hid usual 31st storything and read an MR James ghost stonthe It should be more thrilling than the election
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 1st, 2019, 6:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, no Hallowe'en activity here but we live in old village, I suspect it may have been a bit busier down in Episcopi.
We still have a lot of limes, Deb is going to make another Lime Pie, oh dear :rolleyes:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2019, 7:22 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

November is here ... did anyone listen to this yesterday evening? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009t5q Sooooo funny ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The morning has arrived grey and damp ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2019, 7:51 am

suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 1st, 2019, 7:53 am

Good morning wild ones. Dull and damp here too. Did everyone survive Halloween ? We locked the gates, but it was quiet revellers wise, the fireworks however were banging until after ten o'clock :twisted: :twisted:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2019, 8:27 am

Lots of chattering and giggling outside as families went up and down the rise ... a lot of effort from some families decorating their homes and front gardens and some great costumes :lol: No sign of any trouble or unpleasantness ... just good family fun :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 1st, 2019, 9:04 am

Morning all! :wave:. Pinch, punch, first of the month etc. Love the EDP clip Suffs - you really do wonder sometimes ... :?.

Was very pleased last night, no-one knocked on the door. Local families now know only to go to decorated houses and there were no cheeky teenagers around (although on the local FB site they did show that some unkind people had splatted a few decorated pumpkins). A couple of houses in the neighbourhood really went to town with decorating and collected money for charity, they drew a lot of visitors and made a decent sum which I thought was quite nice.

Intend going for a good walk this morning. Friend is coming this afternoon and I am going to show her how to stuff bottles to make eco bricks. The weather looks a bit November-ish.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 1st, 2019, 9:46 am

Morning.

A grey day here. I have a long weekend to use up some annual leave. Today was going to be a haircut at 11am and whatever else turned up. That changed in the week to an electrician coming to fit a new extractor fan in my wet room. The haircut will wait until this evening.

I mentioned on the bonfire night thread, our street was full of happy Halloweeners but none bothered me.

I've got a load of washing on and some bits to do around the place. I may pop into town to swap some trousers for a different size (pleased to say smaller not bigger!) but the temptation is to stay in the warm and dry, away from the fog.

Have a good Friday all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 1st, 2019, 10:05 am

Good morning everyone,
It's case of "please bring back the frost" here as it's tipping it down and barely light!
No guisers at my door last night, the convention is that unless the storm door is open and the hall light on you don't knock. Going on the local FB pages lots of local kids dressed up and went out but as always it's pretty much over by 8pm.
Annoyingly I seemed to have picked up another cold, I started feeling a bit rubbish yesterday afternoon but hoped an early night might knock it on the head, nope throat like glass this morning and runny nose/stuffy head. :( I have an appointment late afternoon to get my hair cut but apart from that there's not anything pressing I need to do today so it will be lots :mug: and :plink: and a sofa snuggle I think.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 1st, 2019, 10:05 am

Very sweet and well-behaved children but my goodness I think every child in the village visited house last night! Got through all the sweeties (two large bags) and some of our 'walking' chocolate too. I can see I shall have to double up next year... :lol:

Ah well, all good fun. Popped to local pub last night and many of the mums and dads were dressed up too. Obviously a real 'thing' in these here parts.

Have a happy Friday all :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 1st, 2019, 11:00 am

Public holiday today. The chrysanthemums are to be seen in the cars and arms of the faithfull as they make their way the the cemetery . "To do the tombs" as a neighbour put it earlier.

I still don't feel wonderful and think I must go up to see the GP if i feel the same by Monday
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2019, 12:23 pm

Oh Rats :( hope you’re feeling better soon :hug:
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop