CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby StokeySue » November 1st, 2019, 12:46 pm

Hello
Today is so far not going too well
It's a rainy day so I though I'd doss around, wait for my UPS parcel, do a bit of ironing, finish reading my book before tonight's book club
Book club is cancelled as the host's 9 year old is in hospital with cellulitis :(
I checked the tracking for my UPS parcel before I got in the shower, "We attempted delivery today and will try again on Monday", Obviously I've not been out, so I phoned up, delivery was attempted (allegedly) at 10.02, which is during the 10 o'clock news, when I was definitely on the sofa with a coffee wondering why I was listening to it. Nobody rang the bell, knocked on the door, came up the outside stairs or knocked on the door. Waiting for them to call me back.
Think I'll make some soup, can that go wrong?

Hope you feel better soon Rats, it can take a long time to overcome these things, if you fancy a banana that can help if the feeling meh is partly down to potassium depletion

Have a good day everybody
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 1st, 2019, 2:17 pm

Rats: I hope that you soon feel better, D&V bugs can really take it out of you.
Sunny here, the first of the little Maritime Daffodils have popped up overnight, we will take a trip up to the cliffs to check them there.
Meanwhile the gossip at Mah Jong is that one of the local supermarket chains now sells Sainsbury's sausage rolls, yes, we are a sad crew :lol:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 1st, 2019, 4:13 pm

Sorry to hear you're still under the weather Rats.... :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 1st, 2019, 8:23 pm

What a PITA Sue. I have practically lived off bananas this week. I managed a few spoons of mild chilli tonight with an avocado salsa.Mr R added extra hot sauce to his

Don't sleep in if you want to watch the rugby tomorrow
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 1st, 2019, 9:02 pm

I have now discovered that I am expected to pay £22.50 in VAT on the parcel, which is clearly wrong as the parcel is worth $40 so it should be less than £10

The rugby doesn’t start until 9am here so I probably will watch it. I wondered why it wasn’t showing in my favourite channels and discovered that ITV HD had resigned from my favourite channels list yet again. Anyone else on Virgin having a problem with channels being dropped from favourites?

Have a good night everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » November 1st, 2019, 9:45 pm

StokeySue wrote:I have now discovered that I am expected to pay £22.50 in VAT on the parcel, which is clearly wrong as the parcel is worth $40 so it should be less than £10

Is it being delivered by Royal Mail? They stick on an extortionate handling fee that is usually more than the import duty you owe.
smitch
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2019, 9:46 pm

We have Virgin but we don’t bother with a Favourites list
... our viewing is pretty eclectic so we’re happy to scroll through the lot to see what we want to view at any one time. If there’s anything in particular we want we Search and set a record request.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2019, 12:48 am

The parcel is from Ontario by UPS

I prefer to have favourites set up, there are so many channels I wouldn’t touch, and it takes me a long time to scroll through as I’m slow reading screens now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2019, 7:07 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bit damp here but nothing compared to the UK, I have just heard the weather forecast :o
We went out for Fish & Chips last night and were greeted by a chap we vaguely know. It has happened with this man before, we obviously know each other but do not know why. Last night the penny dropped, he also has Pugs, we have met when out Pug walking, his Henry is now fifteen.. Mystery solved.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 2nd, 2019, 7:53 am

Morning all! :wave:.

Sorry that the lurgy has left you that way Rats. Just take it easy and eat what your body tells you, it can take a while :hug:. I always find it amusing what people feel they need at such times, I find bananas quite indigestible and certainly wouldn't want the tinned crab which was the invalid food choice of several people in our village when I was young :sprout: .

I too am with Virgin and haven't a clue how you use Favourites or Search. I have the cheapest package and rarely watch anything but the main four channels and channel 5. There were other channels I used to like sometimes but few are available now and I already have plenty to watch.

It's raining. I'm taking GDs 'other granny' out later. I have no idea where but think it'll have to be an undercover shopping place :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 2nd, 2019, 8:09 am

Good morning wild ones. Rats :hug: like EM said do what your body tells you and take care. It's been raining on and off since the early hours, but at least its not as cold. Any bonfires tonight might struggle, more rain is forecast for the whole day. I just checked th e list of firework displays round and about us, they all happen tonight except our town display which isn't until 9th November for some reason :rolleyes: that should drag the bangs out longer :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2019, 8:43 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Batten down those hatches Scully and Meganthemog and the rest of you over there ... apparently there’s already a tree down on the St Erth-Penzance line ... hard hat weather!

I suspect firework parties might turn into huge celebrations tonight if things go well in Japan .... unless by sunset all fathers are already lying comatose on the sofa/under the table overcome with ..... emotion ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 2nd, 2019, 9:09 am

This evening we are going to a wedding reception.
I asked J to pick up a card for the happy couple. He remembered and it's a lovely card...
... For Mr and Mr.

Guess I'm off to the shop then.

Good luck England.
Last edited by WWordsworth on November 2nd, 2019, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 2nd, 2019, 10:28 am

Good morning everyone,
LOL WW maybe the couple wouldn't notice....... :lol:
Hope you are beginning to feel better Rats :hug:
Good luck to the England rugby team.
I'm still lurgified but feel a bit less grotty today, I thought I was getting my hair cut yesterday but it's actually this afternoon. I'm so glad that I checked before I had headed off!
After a horrible wet day yesterday it is at least dry today so fingers crossed it stays that way as it's the big beach firework display and carnival tonight.
I'll need to get my baking head on next week as I appear to have "volunteered" to make a "Shaun the Sheep" cake for my nephew's 21st birthday family gathering next weekend. I made him one when he was tiny that he still talks about so it will be fun to see his face. It's yonks since I made a big cake, my cousin who is a wonderful baker usually covers family birthdays but although able to come along is up to her eyes in it at the moment so it would be unfair to ask her. I'm sure between myself & my kids we will come up with something edible if not perfect 8-)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 2nd, 2019, 10:33 am

Morning Wildies :wave:

Lovely today- sun and cloud and fairly mild. Aren't we lucky to be living in Sunny Cumbria? :D

Hope everyone enjoys the day whatever the weather. Catch you later. Hope you're on the mend now Rats (and LTC) :hug: :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 2nd, 2019, 11:05 am

liketocook wrote:I thought I was getting my hair cut yesterday but it's actually this afternoon. I'm so glad that I checked before I had headed off!

:? 'hair cut' and 'headed of'f in the same sentence is a tad scary :lol: .

Glad you're feeling a bit better ltc - hope that Rats is too.

I ought to get a move on, I got bogged down with complicated emails (would love to rant but had better not on a public board!) and am not properly showered/dressed to go out yet :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2019, 11:06 am

Good morning
We’ve had solid rain and wind all morning, slacked off a bit now

So much for the rugby - if we were going to lose at least I prefer to lose to RSA, I’ve actually seen more live rugby games in South Africa than up here, it’s part of life in the Free State

Better get on with the ironing I suppose .

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 2nd, 2019, 11:11 am

It is pelting down with rain here, :rolleyes: Shame we got beat at the Rugby, according to OH they didn't stand a chance, it appears he was right. At least they got to the final. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 2nd, 2019, 11:23 am

earthmaiden wrote:
liketocook wrote:I thought I was getting my hair cut yesterday but it's actually this afternoon. I'm so glad that I checked before I had headed off!

:? 'hair cut' and 'headed of'f in the same sentence is a tad scary :lol: .

Yikes :lol: :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2019, 11:24 am

Earlier this morning Deb passed the British style pub, The Buccaneer in Erimi, she said the Rugby watchers over flowed the pub and were almost into the next door coffee shop next door. I hear that they were disappointed.
Mary, our landlady came to collect the rent. She asked if we wanted all the pomegranates, there are three trees. She took a large carrier bag of the fruit with her, those fruit are much larger than your local UK fruiterer will sell. I did ask what she did with the fruit, hoping for interesting recipes but she and the family were just going to eat them as fruit. I have checked, there do not seem to be any special pomegranate recipes other than as an addition to salads and desserts which is odd given that it a fruit with such an ancient history

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » November 2nd, 2019, 11:52 am

here are a number of pomegranate molasses recipes online.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2019, 1:08 pm

scullion wrote:here are a number of pomegranate molasses recipes online.

Yes, I tried that last year without any success

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 2nd, 2019, 2:42 pm

If you have a citrus juicer you can squeeze the juice which is lovely chilled - especially with gin!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Ratatouille wrote:f you have a citrus juicer you can squeeze the juice which is lovely chilled - especially with gin!

Excellent suggestion, we will try that :cocktail:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 2nd, 2019, 3:03 pm

Don't miss out on the gin!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2019, 3:16 pm

There was a great fad for pomegranate juice here, straight or in cocktails.

Seems to have died down a bit
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2019, 4:11 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Don't miss out on the gin!
Never :lol:
StokeySue wrote:There was a great fad for pomegranate juice here, straight or in cocktails. Seems to have died down a bit
I hope that fad will continue, some of the local farmers have planted new pomegranate groves

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2019, 4:23 pm

I think the pomegranate juice fad has more levelled out than died out, a while back it was silly, being pushed anytime anywhere

I wonder if it would make a nice jelly, set with gelatine or agar and with other fruit, such as raspberries set in it? Or a sorbet?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Oat » November 2nd, 2019, 4:49 pm

pomegranate and raspberry ice lollies are very, very nice :chops:
Oat
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 2nd, 2019, 7:53 pm

A gin with pomegranate sounds just the thing. I've got gin but nothing to put with it :cry:. A long afternoon out, as there was a howling gale and rain I took 'other granny' to the lovely garden centre at Burford which sells everything from garden things to food, toys, clothes, antiques, art and more. Always good for a mooch round. To my surprise, she hadn't been there before - we were there for 4 hours :rolleyes:. I'm exhausted!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 2nd, 2019, 8:17 pm

I've been thoroughly shorn, I'll need to look a scarf out to go with my hat & gloves when venturing out.
When I arrived at the hairdressers there was onlly one other customer (I did have the last appointment) and it was my ex-neighbour who I still see from time to time. We've both used the same stylist for 25+ years so all know each other quite well - my we had a laugh I tink the junior was rather bemused :lol: :lol:
Firwork display has just finished, for once it actually stayed dry for it, by the bangs & whistles it was a good 'un :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 3rd, 2019, 7:01 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, one of our dull mornings here. I may have to change the lunch menu.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 3rd, 2019, 7:24 am

We have a dry bright morning ... OH is making coffee ... the day is starting well ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 3rd, 2019, 8:00 am

Good morning wild ones. It's foggy this morning and damp :rolleyes: 10.35pm last night some Pratt decided to have a firework party, bang, bang, bang Until 11.10pm :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The dog was going mental, OH sat with her till almost midnight before she settled down. I thought fireworks weren't supposed to be set off after a certain time, mind you who is going to police theses things, these days :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 3rd, 2019, 10:22 am

Good morning everyone,
There were a couple of firework bangs after the display but nothing major, I think the carnival being on probably side-tracked those who would be inclined to set them off. The rain very obligingly held off until after 10.30 pm though when it did start it was pretty heavy so I imagine a lot of folk would have got soaked going home. It was dry and sunny when I got up but it has clouded over a bit now so I'm unsure what the weather will do today.
I'm just off to prep a beef, red wine and mushroom casserole for the slowcooker, I've a notion for mustard, cheese and thyme dumplings with it. :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 3rd, 2019, 10:28 am

I was going to make Tabbouleh using Bulgar Wheat as part of lunch but found an opened pack of Bulgar & Quinoa in the cupboard, a quick internet trawl found a Mary Berry recipe, the other ingredients are all in stock.
When I went down for the papers I was delayed by a lot of cars parked outside the taverna, they do have functions there on a Sunday but it was a bit early for that. Then I saw a large group of non Cypriot looking people milling about. It was the Ramblers, one of our Friday Mah Jong group is a rambler, she mentioned a couple of weeks ago that they were going to hold their AGM there and was the food OK? You cannot do a thing on this island without at least one other person knowing about :)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am

Morning all! :wave:. We had torrential rain early last evening but it stopped in time for the local firework displays which all went ahead. It must have been dreadfully muddy. I thought that the firework time limit was 11pm except for New Year. Hard to implement though, I had heard that our local noise abatement team had gone under the cuts but don't know if it's true.

A dull day, another :mug: then I'll be off for a walk. I have hot quite a lot of root veg to use up and have got some mince out of the freezer so won't need to go shopping although the cupboard looks bare, there's plenty there! ltc your menu sounds delicious as usual! Dumplings sound a great idea.

I have just realised that the Wildies going on the V&A trip on Dec 13th might be a bit sleepy!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am

Good morning
Sunny here so better get out before it goes

Donna Hay is on TV just making Her special ganache which “only has two ingredients”. So, that’s ganache then :)
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 3rd, 2019, 12:11 pm

It was dry here last night and there was an organised display at local castle. We live up on a hill and from our bedroom window we could watch the display for free. :D

Luckily, no fireworks late at night. Hoping it continues that way.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 3rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

Been VERY Autumnal weather this weekend!

Went to see the new Addams Family film yesterday - not bad (but could have been better), and not as good as the original 60's TV series, which I've treated myself to ;)

We had oxtail stew today (it's been living in the freezer for ages). There's some left for tomorrow too :chops:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 4th, 2019, 6:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I must go out to buy more food, no Ocado deliveries here. We are at the in-between season, salads are not quite right, neither are casseroles.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2019, 7:47 am

The misty moisty morning is brightening up ... the young oak tree across the rise is glorious ... like a flame with its golds and rusts ... beautiful 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 4th, 2019, 8:14 am

Good morning wild ones. After rain earlier it's brightening up albeit very damp everywhere.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 4th, 2019, 8:31 am

Morning all! :wave:. The sun is shining and the world looks good. Shame it wasn't so nice for people at the weekend but I did have a nice long walk yesterday.

Lots to do today and tonight start a Photoshop course. Very excited as it's the first time in 25 years I have been able to enrol for a weekly course and go every week without an awful lot of shift swapping. I have done Photoshop before but need a refresher.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2019, 9:13 am

Good morning
We have sun but don’t think it’s going to last
Off for my pre-holiday hair cut soon, then I need to go and buy coffee, or there will be none when I return (the horror)

Good luck with the course earthmaiden, I’ve always been rubbish with things like Photoshop

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 4th, 2019, 10:03 am

EM, isn't great when you know that you can commit to a course or other group knowing that there are no shift impediments.

Back from some unsuccessful shopping. One of our local supermarket chains has started stocking some Sainsbury's items including frozen food, I was told that they had sausage rolls, not in that branch which is a large branch. I checked all the freezer cabinets, the ones containing sausages, the one with both local small pastries and sheets of frozen pastry, the meat cabinet, nothing. You have to check all the shelves/ cabinets as Cyprus filing systems are not the same as mine. In a different shop I once found Tamarind beans shelved with canned beans not the Ethnic Food, the logic being that it is a bean. BTW, Marmite is classed as an ethnic food.
However I did buy a can of Sainsbury's Corned Beef. I think that Corned Beef Hash is on the menu. I also saw a young Cypriot woman explaining about Brussel Sprouts to someone else :sprout:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 4th, 2019, 10:12 am

Good morning everyone,
Enjoy the course EM
Shame about the sausage rolls Moira, I wonder where they were hiding, for years in our local Morrisons sausage rolls were in the same cabinet shelf as strudel & apple tarts, but pasty's etc were in with the pies & sausages!!
It's quite mild here this morning but gloomy and drizzly, I'm not feeling fab so think I'll stick to the house today. My dining room has become a dumping ground for various bits from my Dad's so as I want to use the room this weekend my challenge for today & tomorrow is to get it sorted out. Lamb and barley stew from the freezer for dinner tonight with a spare dumpling from yesterday and steamed cabbage.
liketocook
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 4th, 2019, 4:46 pm

"Snowflake" is a an easy tag for the media but us Gen X and older need to recognise why.

I can certainly remember having far more unsupervised fun as a child than I think most children do now

Snap, though I feel sad we’ve lost such so much, know we now the extent of the abuse that went on previously, I’m glad that at least some of the nasties no longer have the access they crave.

aero280’s public transport example I’ll send to the grandchildren. The problem in this constituency is, the bus going nearest my stop will be fourth in the GE, the one going in the opposite direction will probably win. :twisted:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2019, 6:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, reading dennispc post, one great advantage of living in this village is that the children can roam although I do get worried about the boys on their bicycles in the middle of the road. The girls do not seem to roam, Hmmm :?

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 5th, 2019, 7:51 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: we are having a new TV delivered this afternoon :bounce: :bounce: The one in the living room keeps shutting down :twisted: delivery is scheduled between 2pm and 5pm and is a two man delivery :shock: I have an ironing mountain to deal with this morning following the washing mountain of yesterday :rolleyes: that will keep me out of trouble for a while. :lol:
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop