CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby suffolk » November 5th, 2019, 8:02 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Thick fog here ... but it’s beginning to lift.
I’m catching the 9:30 bus into the city for a haircut and the opportunity to pick up a few odds and ends ... so I s’pose Id better get up ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 5th, 2019, 8:28 am

:oops: My post was meant for the we-don’t-talk-about-politics thread. :lol: Whilst here, three grandsons grew up in a very safe village and had a lot of free fun, though one never did learn to cycle. Yorkshire granddaughter village only had one road, so busy with agricultural vehicles that non-one went out to play.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2019, 8:41 am

Morning all! :wave:. Real November 5th grey and dampness out there and so dark I need the light on.

Hope the delivery goes well icey and that maybe you're having the luxury of the men setting up the tv for you?

I wasn't allowed a bike in a rural village for the same reason dennispc (and holidaymaker traffic in summer). That was almost 60 years ago!

Loved the start of my course last night, the tutor knows his stuff and is patient and understands questions. Today I'm off on a trip with my bus pass, I do like this retirement lark! I have finally received my work pension with tax deducted at source and phoned the tax office who say that state pension can be allowed for in my PAYE tax coding which I am delighted about as it means if I owe anything at the end of the year it shouldn't be an eye watering amount. (of course, most of you knew that already but it's been worrying me!).

Have a nice day everyone! :hug:. I wonder how Tezza's getting on with her bike?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 5th, 2019, 10:14 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It was foggy here this morning too but the sun is out and everything is sparkling.

There's another pile of irong to do here too. I got really behind last week when I was feeling to yuck.

DD is very cross. She just got her political ducks in a row and was all ready to go canvassing when the MP in her constituency was appointed Speaker last night.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2019, 10:38 am

earthmaiden wrote: I am delighted about as it means if I owe anything at the end of the year it shouldn't be an eye watering amount.
Deb has just got a large (for us) refund from HMRC. We are now trying to cash the cheque without loosing a large amount in the Exchange Rate. Negotiations are in progress with my SIL to deposit the cheque in my NatWest account, the money to be retrieved on Deb's next visit to the UK
Meanwhile on more mundane matters, I have been to Lidl, their Christmas stuff is arriving, I bought three freezer packs of Wild Boar, it comes in 300g portions which serves the two of us nicely. I also bought some profiteroles. :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2019, 11:34 am

Good morning everyone,
Always a relief to get things sorted with HMRC EM it took a wee while with mine but I'd worked out broadly what I owed so I had the money put by. In the end up it was a bit less than I thought which was fab :D .
My lurgy still lingers :( though I do think it is gradually lifting. Fingers crossed it's clear for the weekend when I have a houseful.
I'm waiting for a delivery which should be here shortly, nothing as exciting as a new TV but I don't want to miss it so I'm trying to stay nearish to the front door. Although I always put on the delivery instructions "slow to answer door please wait" some don't and are gone before I get there. Yesterday I decided that I didn't fancy lamb & barley stew but had a notion for chicken, veg & rice soup so made a batch, a bowl of that topped with the spare dumpling really hit the spot and there's plenty of soup left for lunches this week. I tend to only make dumplings to have with stew or savoury mince so it made a nice change. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2019, 12:23 pm

I have just had a light lunch in the cafe of a well-known museum. There are two men at the next table who could be considered as elderly. The full details of the recent hospital stay enjoyed by one of them is still ongoing as I leave ..... there is a theory amongst female friends that many men become a bit boring as they get older, of course it's not true but these guys are doing nothing to help the cause! :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 5th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Talking of refunds, the company who found more than £2000 of PPI miss sold payments contacted me yesterday to say I may now also qualify for a refund on (income?) tax that was also paid at the time … I know these companies charge 30% commission, but my thinking was that I wouldn't know where to start with either of these claims .. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2019, 1:38 pm

earthmaiden wrote:The full details of the recent hospital stay enjoyed by one of them is still ongoing as I leave
Believe me, men can get every bit as boring as women when it comes to their medical conditions, just different symptoms :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2019, 6:04 am

Good Heavens, Wild Ones, did nothing happen here yesterday. Very clear again this morning, you can see to the horizon.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2019, 7:59 am

Yesterday was busy for me ... but not online .,, I had a haircut, bought oxtail, lamb shanks, beef mince, gammon steaks and a pork trotter, some slices of nitrate-free salt beef, two baking potatoes and a pair of jeans ... and my fabulous oversized/baggy style mustard felted wool coat with big patch pockets and huge lapels was delivered. On top of that, a friend’s serious op went better than expected and the stoma will only be temporary ... so a very good day was had. :woohoo:

Hopefully a quiet day ahead ... tennis and ... faffing about doing whatever :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 6th, 2019, 8:12 am

Good Morning wild ones. It's dry this morning and the promised frost last night didn't happen :rolleyes: The gas people have started digging to replace the old pipes. The traffic lights sure two doors down from us, so we have queuing traffic across our gates, no to much trouble getting out but it's a b##gar trying to reverse back in. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: so I think I will walk to the hairdressers this morning, I hope it doesn't rain later when I am coming back. :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 6th, 2019, 8:24 am

That coat sounds nice Suffs, do you have a photo?

Not that I’m in the market for a new coat..............I must not buy a new coat, I must not buy a new coat ......repeat.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2019, 8:32 am

Morning all! :wave:. What a nuisance icey. Love the sound of your coat Suffs. I need an everyday coat but can't find one I like.

I went to Oxford on the bus yesterday to see the Pompeii exhibition at the Ashmolean. A nice day out and I realised that now I have the bus pass and more time I could actually go food shopping in Oxford market and save the car trip to the local supermarket! (of course, the saving would be spent on delicious food instead). The down side was that I left my phone at the museum (thank goodness it was found!) so have to go back today :rolleyes: . I plan to walk to Oldies cinema (which is a couple of miles) to see the film I thought I was going to see last week then get the bus from there afterwards. I'm tempted to drive because it's quicker but it would be silly when I can go free and have no other engagements. It's rather nice doing the trip from the top of a bus, you see things that are usually missed.

Those PPI people don't miss a trick do they? Nice if you get something though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

Busybee wrote:That coat sounds nice Suffs, do you have a photo?

Not that I’m in the market for a new coat..............I must not buy a new coat, I must not buy a new coat ......repeat.

BB

:tu: :rolleyes: :tu: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2019, 9:52 am

That is the ironing done (smug smiley), it dried very quickly. I don't think that there is much moisture in the air.
EM; you are obviously getting the hang of occupying yourself during your retirement :D My SIL has the appropriate rail pass, she goes to all the major exhibitions in London on reduced rates.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 6th, 2019, 10:42 am

Good morning everyone,
Love the sound of your coat suffs :) .
Damp & chilly here this morning with heavy rain due in this afternoon before frost tonight so a "bit of everything" weatherwise today!
Lurgy seems to finally lifting, I'm still really bunged up and hoarse but I feel a lot better thankfully.
Today is a day for catching up on chores before the kids start to arrive tomorrow and cake making gets underway - I'm aiming for something like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/27185893@N07/6865542818 but as long as mine vaguely resembles a sheep I'll be happy ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2019, 10:43 am

suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 6th, 2019, 10:47 am

That coat is lovely Suffs, I’ve had some nice pieces from the same place.

LTC.........that’s a great looking cake, I love Shawn the Sheep.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 6th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Oh cosy looking coat suffs :)
I very much doubt mine will be anything like the picture BB but fingers crossed :-)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Oooh Suffs! Nice coat! I like that mustardy colour very much. I'd like one in blue too. :tu:

EM- glad you enjoyed your trip to Oxford. I like the Ashmolean. I was last there just after Christmas with my friend. We went to the Spellbound exhibition (which was super).I love the covered market. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2019, 1:31 pm

This is the sort of person who should be knighted ... not politicians
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... try_recirc

What a heart warming story .., but it makes me so angry that this sort of action us needed in the UK in the 21st century.
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 6th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Oooh, lovely, however they are the sort of style that I feel looks great on someone a bit taller than me :( However, I do have something almost identical to the 'Coatigan' shown almost at the end .. bought for me by my daughter from one of those cheap boutique places and certainly at a fraction of that price ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2019, 3:25 pm

suffolk wrote:This is the sort of person who should be knighted ... not politicians https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... try_recirc

I have never understood why some people are honoured for doing their job, this includes sportsmen and entertainers. Who on earth decided to knight Mike Jagger?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2019, 4:02 pm

suffolk wrote:This is the sort of person who should be knighted ... not politicians
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... try_recirc

What a heart warming story .., but it makes me so angry that this sort of action us needed in the UK in the 21st century.

Hear, hear. :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 6th, 2019, 5:53 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I don't think that there is much moisture in the air.

i don't think there's much dryness in the air!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Yes, I think I'm getting the hang of retirement. I realised yesterday that I feel very happy a lot, I know pride comes before a fall so will just enjoy each day as it comes. The film, 'Blinded by the Light', was lovely, a nice little story and lots of 80s music as well as the Springsteen which is part of the story line. It sounded great at cinema volume too! I have discovered why there seem to be so many seat mix ups. All the odd numbered seats in my and other rows were labelled 7 (7, 10 7, 12 7 etc!). The workman must have found a job lot of 7s on a Friday afternoon. It makes things very confusing. Spent the afternoon on the bus but got my phone back.

I think that people who are knighted but seem odd choices have often done a lot to promote the nation or are quiet philanthropists. This rarely applies to politicians of course.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 7th, 2019, 6:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. One of our craft group is returning to the UK today to get ready for a cruise, it a 100 day Round the World Cruise, she was a bit apprehensive, there are a lot of days at sea, will she find enough to occupy her?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 7th, 2019, 7:59 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining again :rolleyes: shopping day today, it soon comes around. Hair is looking better, all grey roots are gone :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 8:45 am

We have rain all day ... and for several more ahead ... here in Norfolk. Nevertheless we intend to go into the city and treat ourselves to lunch to celebrate the fact that a biopsy OH had recently has come back negative. Not going anywhere ‘posh’ ... just a lazy lunch in Cotes which we enjoy.

While we’re in the city we’ll keep an eye out for an uneven paving stone where a friend’s OH took a tumble yesterday when they were on their way to a matinee at the theatre. He was bruised and badly shaken but she said they got to the theatre where the staff were wonderful and too great care of them ... they were able to enjoy the performance and then the theatre called them a cab to take them back to the Park & Ride carpark where they’d left their car. Her OH is usually quite fit and able and not prone to falls.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2019, 9:06 am

earthmaiden wrote:Yes, I think I'm getting the hang of retirement. I realised yesterday that I feel very happy a lot,

:D :D :luv: :luv: :tu:

Just enjoy it EM.... you deserve it....
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 9:53 am

Seatallan wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:Yes, I think I'm getting the hang of retirement. I realised yesterday that I feel very happy a lot,

:D :D :luv: :luv: :tu:

Just enjoy it EM.... you deserve it....

Hear! Hear! :tu: :cocktail: :cocktail: :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Thank you :hug:.
Late on parade today, met up with a friend at Waitrose at 8.30am
for coffee, toast and a good natter. Afterwards I went to Lidl. I don't go too often as I love everything in there. I have a pastel de nata for tea :chops:.

So glad all is well with OH Suffs.

I still don't think I would like to go on a cruise. A multitude of reasons but would be especially terrified that the sea might be rough :sprout:.

Going to the cinema again tonight :oops: . The live NT showing of Hansard. I thought it looked really good.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Glad all is ok with OH suffs
I've never fancied a cruise either EM but one of my friends and her hubby love them and are just back from a 3 week one in the Southern hemisphere.
it's bitterly cols and raw here today and to drop well below freezing this evening. My son s driving up after work and I'm making this https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/n ... ddy-recipe which should be suitably ribsticking!
Housework in preparation for having a houseful is pretty much done (well all I'm doing anyway) and cake making commences this afternoon. It's 21 years ago today that I had the very great honour and pleasure of being my sister's labour partner and helping deliver my nephew so apt I'm starting the cake today. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 7th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Good afternoon everyone :wave:

It is cold, dark and raining steadily. Kind of reflects the depression which seems to be reachng these parts from the UK.

I have never fancied a cruise. Imagine being stuck with a bunch of people you have nothing in common with having to eat all your meals together.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 7th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I have never fancied a cruise. Imagine being stuck with a bunch of people you have nothing in common with having to eat all your meals together
I think that it is a big ship, I hope so as they are crossing the Pacific but I agree with you. A number of people here have gone on a 7 day cruise of the Greek Islands starting from Limassol, a special offer of E299 each.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 7th, 2019, 3:30 pm

When a friend of mine retired, he and his wife registered with a couple of agencies that sell spare spaces on cruises at the last minute. He gets some very good deals. Usually half-price or better.

For the cruises he gets between 24 and 48 hours notice. The phone call goes "We have a cabin for two available on a one week cruise from Marseilles to Venice. If you want to go, you need to be at Gatwick in 36 hours time".

His most successful cruise was an offer of four weeks from Fort Lauderdale, around the Caribbean, and back to Southampton, via The Azores and Madeira. Normal price was £3500 per person. He and his wife went for £850 each. He flew to Florida, stayed overnight, and a taxi took him to the dock for boarding. The lady in reception said "Hello! You've been with us before. Would you like a free upgrade to First Class?". :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Is the sea calmer in First Class? ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2019, 4:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: EM!!

Wow Aero, that's one spectacular upgrade!
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Hello we’re back ... to carry on with the seafaring theme, we rather pushed the boat out for us, starting with cocktails (Sidecars) and nibble olives etc. then I had steak tartare and OH had gravadlax ... then we both had an excellent cassoulet (it’s wonderful when, even in a chain, the chef has obviously enjoyed cooking your food). We washed that down with a delicious Malbec. We didn’t have room for cheese or the delicious looking tarte au mirabelles ... just a double macchiato

Now we’re stuffed and flollopped on the sofa ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 7th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Happy Flollopping Suffs, glad all was ok re the biopsy and that you enjoyed a rather good sounding lunch.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 7th, 2019, 5:32 pm

suffolk wrote:Hello we’re back ... to carry on with the seafaring theme, we rather pushed the boat out for us, starting with cocktails (Sidecars) and nibble olives etc. then I had steak tartare and OH had gravadlax ... then we both had an excellent cassoulet (it’s wonderful when, even in a chain, the chef has obviously enjoyed cooking your food). We washed that down with a delicious Malbec. We didn’t have room for cheese or the delicious looking tarte au mirabelles ... just a double macchiato

Now we’re stuffed and flollopped on the sofa ...

Sounds like a pretty good way to celebrate some good news. Excellent all round. :tu: :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 7th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I have been on a cruise, Bilbao to Portsmouth, approx 24 hours and all got up like a cruise with entertainment, wine tasting, quizzes, children's entertainments, shops, whale lectures, the first two hours were great, then we were bored and were so please to be back on dry land the next day. Perhaps I will cancel the order for the ocean going yacht.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Seatallen ... what’s the weather like with you?
A friend living just outside Sheffield says the floods are horrendous ... his garden is being washed away ... his wife can’t get home ... he’s preparing to move upstairs with flasks of hot drinks in case the electricity is affected. :shock:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 7th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Wow. That sounds rough. Has friend shifted the valuable/important stuff upstairs? Passports, documents, that sort of thing?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 7th, 2019, 7:23 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 7:36 pm

OMG fancy being trapped overnight in Meadowhell :shock: (not that ive ever been there you understand :rolleyes: )

Have suggested friend takes important documents upstairs ... he has a heart condition so can’t carry heavy stuff upstairs so that’ll have to do.
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 7th, 2019, 7:58 pm

I'm pleased I live uphill from the river, although I see plenty of lying water in the fields on the way to work.

There was a farmer on the local news who should have planted his wheat and barley 6 weeks ago but it has been too wet.
Also his cattle are inside a month early which is costing him in feed.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Crikey! Friend says police have just been round saying everyone should prepare to evacuate at short notice if conditions don’t change ... :scared:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Oh goodness! Hope everyone comes out of it safely :o.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop