CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby Busybee » November 19th, 2019, 7:04 pm

MtM - I hope that you all enjoy the relief together :hug: and that they get to the bottom of the issue.

I’m exactly the same Suffs, having my bp checked has always been painful even if I take it myself. I’ve been to the docs today too, my ankle is still swollen and giving me pain six month post break. I saw a GP trainee who is going to write to the orthopaedic registrar to see what to do next. I don’t know if I have unrealistic expectations but I try to walk 10k a day and if I get around this distance it aches quite badly and ‘clicks’.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 20th, 2019, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, according to the local paper it has been a very dry November, who got our rain :rolleyes: ?

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 20th, 2019, 7:47 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Moira :wave: think our friends who were flooded near Sheffield may have had your share of rain, plus several others :rolleyes: Think they’d happily send it back to you.
No frost here this morning ... just grey and damp.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 20th, 2019, 7:51 am

Good morning wild ones. It's dry and frost free this morning. :bounce: :bounce: I ache all over this morning. I managed to trip over the dogs bed backwards on to a concrete floor, I banged my head that came up like an egg, I landed firstly on my bum and must have put my hands out to stop myself. So today the bottom of my back, ribs, shoulders and wrists are painfull. :rolleyes: OH thinks it's funny :twisted: :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 20th, 2019, 8:11 am

Ouch! Ice!!! :shock: :hug: :plink: :mug: He won’t think it’s so funny when you tell him you have to rest with your feet up all day and he’s going to be waiting on you hand and foot as well as being chief cook and bottle washer.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 20th, 2019, 10:22 am

Good morning everyone
Ouch ice - I'd definitely be going into "Diva" mode with your OH :hug:
BB - not much consolation but my friend with a similiar break to you had pain and sweliing for the best part of a year before it began to settle. She was told to reduce her walking like you she was a 10K+ person only take short but frequent walks and go swimming. The swimming seemed to help the most.

Damp and dreich here - I see "dreich" has been voted the favourite SCottish word. My favourite "scunnered" came third https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50476008 :lol:
I'm off to the dentist shortly, always a trial for both parties as I don't tilt well..... Apart from that I've no real plans as no doubt a lie down will be needed when I get back.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 20th, 2019, 11:33 am

Icey.... :hug: :hug: If it is any consolation, Mr S managed to trip whilst coming down our stairs the other night. He was carrying an empty glass at the time (he wasn't in his cups honestly! :) ) so not only did he sustain some bumps, bruises and carpet burns he also cut himself on the glass (which broke). He's on the mend but still a bit creaky and he has some spectacular bruises...

BB- I agree with LTC. I think you're doing all the right things however. Hope the healing accelerates soon.... :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 20th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Morning all! :wave:. By the time I post It'll be afternoon but never mind! :hug: :hug: to all with aches, pains and injuries - that sounds nasty icey.

I love the word dreich, you feel you know what it means even before it's explained!

Not sure where the morning's gone, I've just been doing this and that but did watch last night's Rick Stein in France - I am enjoying the series very much even though we still have to put up with his revolting way of eating :evil: . This afternoon I am going to set forth under the banner of Christmas Shopping but probably won't get far. I have made a list, which is a start and the place I intend going today does very good tea and cake.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 20th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Ouch Sea sounds like your OH gave hinself a sore one. He must have been sober otherwise he would have just bounced! ;)
I love words EM that sound like what they are, Scots is full of them it's a very descriptive tongue :lol: :lol: My son's Greek fiancee just loves it and having spent nearly 10 years in the UK mainly in Glasgow has adopted a few :lol: :lol:
I'm back from the dentist and enjoying a much needed :mug: though a restorative :cocktail: might be better I'll resist ;) . They are very good at working within my limitations but I do find it quite stressful. It's bitter outside and despite the damp and rain during the night there are still quite a few icy patches, apart from a quick bin run I'll be happy to be indoors for the rest of the day.
My Christmas shopping hasn't gone much beyond the planning stage yet, I've a few ideas but must get my finger out and start converting them into reality. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 20th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I too don't know where the morning went Making a pot of vegetable and lentil soup and putting a piece of the nearest thing to brisket in to pot roast for this evening.

I especially enjoyed Rick Stein last night. The Auvergne is one of our favourite bits of hidden France. Sallers and its cows and cheeses are wonderful. You could hardly call the cuisine refined but by heavens it is rustic and good. It was just a relief after the mind numbing so-called deebate.

The place he calls his Provencal hide away is just up the valley from here. It isn't his though,the team rented it for £6,400 for 10 days. They could have had this one for a lot less and my kitchen is much nicer!

It's very warm today but still gloomy so not a day to leave the fire unlit.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 20th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Back from the craft group in Pissouri, my friend who knits Christmas trees was there today, I have ordered another tree, fabric this time. The forest is getting bigger :!: :!: :!:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Have saved M. Stein’s latest as we were watching something else :rolleyes: Thought the area looked familiar Rats ... he obviously needs a place of his own en Provence ... he could’ve bought your neighbour’s place ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 20th, 2019, 4:05 pm

But then you'd have to invite him round and endure watching him eat :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 20th, 2019, 5:10 pm

I’ll have a look at the Rick Stein, I hope (but doubt) his French pronunciation has improved, I’d forgotten about it

Pioneer Woman has just mentioned “whole milk ricotta” which is surely an oxymoron? I’m sure that’s what it says on the pack though, she’s quite precise usually.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 20th, 2019, 5:29 pm

StokeySue wrote:I’ll have a look at the Rick Stein, I hope (but doubt) his French pronunciation has improved, I’d forgotten about it.

He did comment last night that things hadn't improved! :D
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » November 21st, 2019, 6:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:Pioneer Woman has just mentioned “whole milk ricotta”
I find that you have to check most milk products, even here, I have had disasters using 0% yoghurt

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 21st, 2019, 7:58 am

Good morning wild ones. No time to be a diva I'm afraid, it's D day, the workmen are due at. 8.30 today, so furniture is all removed into the garage and my new carpet is covered in plastic covering :rolleyes: we have just had breakfast using the small garden table in the kitchen :rolleyes: at least its not raining..... yet. The beasts and I will be in the garage with the gas fire if anyone wants me. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2019, 8:33 am

Good luck Ice ... keep warm!
This morning started quite dull but it’s definitely brightening up ... and it’s supposed to stay dry. :tu:
I have a chicken to joint ... half will be marinated in yoghurt and spices and baked for supper ... the other half will go in the slow cooker to make a pie filling for the freezer. I have mushrooms and leeks available ... chicken and mushroom or chicken and leek :| ???
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 21st, 2019, 8:46 am

Leek please.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 21st, 2019, 8:53 am

Mushroom AND leek! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 21st, 2019, 9:08 am

I agree Seatallen!

Morning all! :wave:. Looks a bit dull outside.

Don't envy you having work done at this time of year icey but it'll all look nice for Christmas!

This and that today, didn't get far with Christmas shopping yesterday. The list these days is quite small with only one smallish thing to find per person for most but it doesn't seem to make it any easier, especially as smellies and chocolate are out of the equation for so many :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 21st, 2019, 9:19 am

They have arrived :shock: the first question was does your kettle work :rolleyes: :lol: they have just gone to the builders merchant to collect their order. It was nice to see the owner of the company come out too to tell them what was being done and have them sign a worksheet to say they knew what thief job entailed. :tu:
Suffs mushroom and leek for me too ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 21st, 2019, 9:51 am

I have been listening to Melvyn Bragg's programme In Our Time on R4. It concerned 11 and 12th century Jerusalem. Mentioned in passing was the fact that pilgrims were lodged in the Street of Bad Cooking, now there is somewhere that you would not want to stay

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2019, 9:52 am

Oh dear ... I’m not a fan of mushroom and leek ... it’s the aesthetics of it ... the sauce should have either fresh green elements in a cream coloured sauce or or be a soft ‘mushroomy’ colour ... both mixed together just looks muddy and not nice ... to my eye at least. I shall have to make an executive decision ... the last chicken pie was chicken and mushroom so this one will be chicken and leek. I’ll use the mushrooms for a lunchtime omelette in the next few days.
Who says that retired folk don’t have to make important decisions ... :rolleyes: ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 21st, 2019, 9:53 am

icelesley wrote: and have them sign a worksheet to say they knew what thief job entailed.

keep an eye on your stuff then!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 21st, 2019, 9:56 am

:lol: :lol:

Definitely leek if we can't have both!

I'm sure we've all stayed on the Street of Bad Cooking at some point ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 21st, 2019, 10:15 am

We had a Thermomix demonstration at WI last night. In less than an hour the demonstrator made and cooked bread, pesto, coconut dhal, coleslaw, a batch of lemon curd and soup. It’s a seriously impressive piece of kit but at £1099 a time a little too expensive fir me :lol:

Whilst I’m sure it’s very convenient I just can’t see myself using it daily as the demonstrator said she did. Does anyone have one or know someone with one?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 21st, 2019, 10:24 am

Good morning
Slowly surfacing
Had a bit of a TV fest yesterday, 2 episodes of Stein and a good batch of Dublin murders
Stein was good, though I only followed his pronunciation of Courtois at the 3rd attempt :D
It appears he found La Rue de la Mauvaise Cuisine as well though not filmed.
Need to get on I suppose, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 21st, 2019, 10:32 am

Busybee wrote:We had a Thermomix demonstration at WI last night. In less than an hour the demonstrator made and cooked bread, pesto, coconut dhal, coleslaw, a batch of lemon curd and soup. It’s a seriously impressive piece of kit but at £1099 a time a little too expensive fir me :lol:
Whilst I’m sure it’s very convenient I just can’t see myself using it daily as the demonstrator said she did. Does anyone have one or know someone with one?

While away in Spain in April, I met up with a bunch of ex-pat ladies who lunch ... seems they have lots of money to burn/spend as I lost count of the over-bleached/plastic teeth and boob jobs ... also they all seem to have a Thermomix, but I bet they hardly use them, or forget whatever they were shown. Someone mentioned contacting the agent for another demo of what it can do :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 21st, 2019, 10:43 am

Good morning everyone,
Glad your executive decision making skills haven't deserted you post-retirement suffs :lol: , will you be adding carrot as I always think they add a nice colour contrast in a creamy leek sauce? (And I really like carrots in chicken pie ;) )
I've seen various demonstrations on Thermomix and if I had the spare cash I'd certainly consider one. My friend has one, she swears it's been worth every penny and she uses it pretty much every day. She bought it when they were basically camping out in the house they were building with a view she'd sell it once she had a proper kitchen again but really loved it so kept it. I've told her if she decides to upgrade hers for a newer model I'll happily give her current one a home but I think my offer has fallen on deaf ears :lol:
It's a bitterly cold, grey and damp day here. My balance isn't at all great after being tilted at the dentist yesterday so it will be a day of gentle pottering indoors to try and get it reset, I knew this would be likely be the case so planned to have no plans IFYSWIM. :D This afternoon I may well follow Sue's lead and catch up on some of my "to watch" list.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 21st, 2019, 1:39 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

This is not good enough. Another gloomy day but with sleet blwoing in the wind. It took all my effort to drag myself round the supermarket. By the time one gets to items like butter and milk you have waded through several metric tonnes of chocolate and confectionary and a complete armoury of Star Wars light sabres, guns etc. All this is a huge change from even just a few years ago and no-one seems to like it.
We are waiting for Laura to come and sort out untidy hair. Thank goodness I don't have to go out again
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2019, 2:37 pm

Mushroom omelettes have been made and eaten :chops: a chicken, carrot and leek pie filling has been made and is cooling ready to freeze, and order has been restored in the kitchen ... :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 21st, 2019, 7:54 pm

suffolk wrote:Mushroom omelettes have been made and eaten :chops: a chicken, carrot and leek pie filling has been made and is cooling ready to freeze, and order has been restored in the kitchen ... :D

Sounds lovely and :tu: on the carrots :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 21st, 2019, 10:44 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Busybee wrote:We had a Thermomix demonstration at WI last night. In less than an hour the demonstrator made and cooked bread, pesto, coconut dhal, coleslaw, a batch of lemon curd and soup. It’s a seriously impressive piece of kit but at £1099 a time a little too expensive fir me :lol:

While away in Spain in April, I met up with a bunch of ex-pat ladies who lunch ... seems they have lots of money to burn/spend as I lost count of the over-bleached/plastic teeth and boob jobs ... also they all seem to have a Thermomix, but I bet they hardly use them, or forget whatever they were shown. Someone mentioned contacting the agent for another demo of what it can do :rolleyes:

I can just imagine that, Patsy!!

I went off Thermomix as a brand when they had exploding machines that injured at least 45 people here in Australia. Thermomix knew about the problem but didn't report it and denied it for years. They were finally taken to Court and fined $4.6million for violating consumer laws. It was suggested that they off-loaded faulty models to Australia before bringing out the new model :rolleyes:

This is the link to the Choice magazine (like your Which mag.) article about it
https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-livi ... eral-court

Not saying it isn't a good machine (the safe models :lol: ), but very expensive and if you've already got a food processor + blender + saucepan I find it hard to justify the expense.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 22nd, 2019, 6:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I am glad that I cannot afford a thermomix :o
According to the local paper so far this November has been one of the driest on record (sorry)

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2019, 8:10 am

I really can’t see that a Thermomix would contribute anything positive to the quality of my life ... that’s just as well, as I can think of other things to spend £1000+ on ;)

I have a U3A meeting this morning and then I’m going to drive out into the countryside to visit a very good farm shop for a few bits and pieces ... I’m hoping they’ll have a good sized gammon hock. They usually have good offal too and we’ve not had any liver for a while :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 22nd, 2019, 8:24 am

Good morning wild ones. The walls have been stripped back to brick treated and rough plastered. The guys are back this afternoon to finish off and skim. They said it was a dirty job and make sure everything was covered over, they weren't kidding, it was worse than when we had the floor replaced :rolleyes: At least its not cold, it's a bit drizzly this morning hopefully it will dry up later.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2019, 8:27 am

That’s good progress Ice ... but a thistle skim can be even messier ... it’s a sloppy mix ... beware :shock: !!!

How are all your bumps and bruises?

And how are Mr Sea’s injuries this morning?
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 22nd, 2019, 9:19 am

The bumps and bruises are not to bad thanks Suffs, the egg shaped bump on the back of my head is going down slowly. OH says it will teach me to look where I am going and not come out of the pantry backwards in future :lol: The covers are all still in place we swept and cleared the dust last night. The guys said today wouldn't be as bad, but better to be safe than sorry.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 22nd, 2019, 9:41 am

Mr Sea is on the mend thanks Suffs, if still a little creaky in the back department. :D :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2019, 9:46 am

As long as they do the mixing outside ... thistle dust gets everywhere :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 22nd, 2019, 9:53 am

Morning all! :wave:. Having an exciting morning in doctor's waiting room (multiple appointments). Come here as little as possible, I see that the doctor they used to allot me has left, I am not sorry. Beautiful morning when I left home but a shower appeared from the blue sky as I got out of the car :evil:. Will be having a nice walk when I finally escape (unless it rains again).

That does sound messy icey. I take back what I said yesterday about being all done for Christmas. When I had something similar done it had to dry out properly for ages. Worth it in the end though.
Last edited by earthmaiden on November 22nd, 2019, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 22nd, 2019, 10:24 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Best of luck Icey. The house would have to be falling down before I would start on such a project at this time of year. It's incredibly warm but very little sunshine. The forecast for tomorrow is dire so Mr R is going to Fresh this afternoon to get fruit and veg.
We've got moules frites for supper.

Lots of Christmas cards to write this afternoongo to get them to the UK next week. The mail is so unreliable here. La Poste insis hat I signed for a package on Wednesday which is total fabrication
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am

Good morning everyone,
I don't envy you the mess icey, I remember how unrelenting it seemed when I got my kitchen done! It will be worth it though once it's done. :D I'm planning to have various works done next year but hope to group them together and move into an Air B&B or similiar when they are getting done. I reckon in the scheme of what I'll be spending the extra cost will be more than worth it.
My younger son is off to a awards dinner tonight and he's been nominated in the "Young Engineer" category. He was nominated last year and came runner up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I'm a proud mammy whether he wins or not. :luv: He's coming up tomorrow as one of his pals is back from America to see his folks and they are heading out to the pub. He's here until Monday so I'll get a chance to catch up with him on Sunday. After that it will be only a few weeks until he's home for nearly three weeks over Christmas. His work is really quiet during this period so more than happy for him to take an extended period of time off.
Grey, cold and damp here again today and I'm not intending to go further than the wheeelie bins as I'm having an unsteady spell though it's better than it was yesterday. Another day of gentle pottering indoors will hopefully help it continue to improve. My nephew is popping round at some point to discuss doing some jobs for me, his part time job has dried up in the pre Christmas restaurant trade lull so he's keen to earn some cash to tide him over which suits me.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 22nd, 2019, 11:23 am

Good morning
We’ve had rain, more to come

It’ll be nice when it’s done icey! I’m still moving stuff back into the areas that were decorated while I was away, it’s partly slow because of having eye trouble, also going out etc and ending up feeling exhausted, partly because I am being super-duper thorough about how I put stuff back, for example I have scrubbed down the tiles and whitened the grout and de-gunked the cooker hood and so on and so forth.

Congratulations to your son ltc! Will be nice to have him for so long.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 22nd, 2019, 12:49 pm

ltc; Well done, your son.
The Christmas preserved fruit has appeared, the box contains whole walnuts, kumquats and cherries plus pomelo,citron and bergamot orange peels, usually they are chopped up but not this year. It should make getting the correct size of fruit/peel easier. The bergamot peel has real flavour
Home made pizza tonight.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2019, 4:04 pm

Hello again ... back from U3A and a trip to a farm shop some 12 miles away ... I bought provisions for the weekend but really it was a research trip to see what the best before period on their big gammon hocks is ... DD and I both want one for the week before christmas ... looks like if I pop down again in ten days’ time it’ll be perfect timing.

I’m not sure about this particular U3A group ... it has a tendency to turn into something more akin to an old folks’ reminiscence group ... not the more rigorous creative writing group I was looking for ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 23rd, 2019, 6:49 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, for some reason we cannot get gammon hocks here, probably not part of the cooking culture.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2019, 8:16 am

I have woken with a more than usual feeling of calm and well-being ... I had a dream where I was making a particularly beautiful Christmas wreath and OH woke me with my coffee in the middle of it ... I wonder whether that’s the cause or whether the fact that a few days ago, following discussion with the Practice Nurse, I started taking my BP tablets at bedtime rather than on waking ... or maybe it’s just a fortuitous alignment of the stars ... ?

I hope Herbi has a good trip to Norfolk today, is comfortable in her hotel and enjoys the wedding. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 23rd, 2019, 8:18 am

Good morning wild ones. The work is done and the mess removed :bounce: it looks lovely. We can paint With emulsion in 3 weeks but can't wallpaper for 12 months. I might leave it until after Christmas, then at least the furniture can come back in. We can make do with just the new skirting board being painted then the carpet can be put back. :D lots of cleaning to do now, the dust gets everywhere :rolleyes:
Last edited by icelesley on November 24th, 2019, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop