CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2019, 8:11 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Tezza :hug: glad they're sorting you out and not letting things drift ... PITA about the medication ... can your GP practice speed things up do you think? Lovely news about old friends meeting up ... Dunstable used to be such a small community.

we both slept the sleep of the just ... probably the effect of a lovely day on the Suffolk coast with our visitor ... a pint of Adnams, a crab salad, a mooch around the town, a visit to the craft shop to see what old friends are up to, and then some time whiled away at the harbour mouth doing the crossword in the paper and watching the gulls and cormorants and a naval fishery protection vessel anchored close to shore ... we finished up with very good ice cream cones and visited the fishermen’s hut and bought a large piece of line-caught ‘skate’ for supper this evening.
When we got home we popped the lasagne I’d made the other day into the oven ... perfect :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 7th, 2019, 8:26 am

earthmaiden wrote:Well, that's three of us. Any more? When? I don't want to do it yet as I can't justify trips all the time. Dec/Jan can be snowy or icy so maybe Oct/Nov? I can't do Tuesdays.

I can't do Tuesdays or Thursdays … Wednesday best week-day for me, but week-ends too :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 7th, 2019, 8:28 am

Morning all.

A gloomy day here, no excuse to not get the paint brush out!

What a lovely sounding day suffs. As you say, perfect, made even more so being rounded off by a lovely sleep. Re meds - I will phone my surgery Monday morning when they are next open. I actually feel for the staff in Boots being bombarded by customers simply wanting medication to keep them well, and knock on effect of that is it must be so demoralising turning in to work every day just to be part of a system that is collapsing. The staff used to be so pleasant in there, now they are like bears with sore heads. Shame.

Right, onwards before it gets too late to do anything!

Have fun all.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 7th, 2019, 8:31 am

Good morning
Sounds like a good day Suffolk

Interesting hospital visit Tezza, I doubt if the GP can do much to help if the medicine is not in stock at either the shop the wholesaler, might be worth ringing any accessible independent pharmacies or any local branch of Lloyd’s on the off chance they have a pack?

Today a visit to the farmers market followed by open day at the Tower Theatre, that and a few things to do should keep me busy

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 7th, 2019, 8:42 am

Morning all! :wave:.

What a whirlwind day Tezza! :?. Are there no other pharmacies locally? (though probably in the same boat).

How lovely to (usually) have lovely fresh, ripe passion fruits available. Supermarket ones just aren't the same.

Lovely day out Suffs! I would love to have lessons on how on earth to eat skate. For some reason I don't remember us having it when I was a child and was flummoxed when I bought some in more recent years.

A dull day here. I wanted to lock myself away and give the house a good going through this weekend but really need to find a suitable birthday present for someone. I had hoped that the V&A shop would come up trumps yesterday but it didn't seem as nice as I remembered it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 7th, 2019, 9:59 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The blinking internet has been off most of the morning. It is just so tedious.

Tezza I do hope you get the right meds soon. Could you ring the hospital ?

Sounds like a lovel day out Suffs. I envy you the crab salad. Nothing like a Cromer crab unless it is a Seahouses one of course.

I have some ripe passionfruit in the fruit stand at the moment Moira You can pop over if you like. I got some ripe ones last week to make my pavlova but I also got some less than ripe ones to ripen for a curd soon. It's funny because I made a lychee and passion fruit pavlova for a group of French ladies a while ago and they said they didn't like passiofruit but those were lovely. It turns out they were using then while they were still smooth and didn't realise they shouldn't be used until they are wrinkled and not very pretty!

have a good weekend people.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 7th, 2019, 10:07 am

Good morning everyone,
Sounds like smashing days out EM & Suffs :D Interesting you were disappointed in the V&A shop EM, I used to buy quite a few gifts online from there as they usually offered something that was a wee bit different but haven't for ages as a lot seems very blah and I can get better elsewhere.
Shame about the meds delay Tezza but definitely worth checking other places.
My greenhouse is still producing well Icey so I'm not at the clearing it out stage yet but I do need to start getting plants cut back a bit. That's on y "to do" for today as it has actually stopped raining !!!! There's loads of brambles ripe too, I'll get those picked as well. It's so nice to get up to some sunshine though it's quite chilly but I don't mind that. I'm less keen that it's to dip to 5C this evening.
Next Friday I'm heading with my family over to Fife for a few days. There are seven of us and have hired a big houese in Elie. We're taking food with us for Friday evening and Saturday breakfast then will shop locally. I'm the "quartermaster" and trying to pin folk down over what folk want and who's bringing what is taking ages, I think some executive decisions will need to be made now that our WhatsApp group has stopped "melting" over what beer the boys are bringing :lol: :lol: .
liketocook
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 7th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Good Evening Wild Ones.. The greenhouse is washed inside and out and is gleaming. :D I might go to the garden centre next week and get some chrysanthemums for a bit if winter colour, Also I am going to bring the fushias inside before we get a cold spell, they are looking spectacular at the moment.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 8th, 2019, 6:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the wedding season has started here, there was a lot of hooting as the cars drove up the main road yesterday afternoon. The Cypriot schools go back tomorrow, we were expecting to hear the sound of parties but there was nothing. I think that the family who held a lot of get togethers may have moved.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 8th, 2019, 6:33 am

The morning is bright and dry so far but the forecast says there may be some showers today. I really need to cut back the grapevine very soon ... dont want our NDN to be slapped in the face by waving branches when she comes to water the fig and feed the hedgehog. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 8th, 2019, 6:48 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a bit hazy this morning, but he Sun is trying to peep through. Definitely a autumn morning :D Sunday again, where do the days go :rolleyes: not a lot to do today, I will just potter around the garden I think. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 8th, 2019, 7:11 am

We are off to strip a friends mothers plum trees (with her permission). I have been told to make sure we bring enough baskets, it’s a bumper crop. As the house is called Plum Cottage you can imagine the potential!

Then it will be a case of prepping, freezing etc.

Roast pork for dinner with roasties, parsnips, cauliflower, carrots and swede. Followed by either Apple or plum crumble. It’s an autumnal menu and feels appropriate- the heating came on automatically this morning following a cool night.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 8th, 2019, 10:03 am

Morning all! :wave:. Felt quite cold when I woke up this morning (in bed with covers on :?). Think I might invest in a warmer quilt this winter. I have got an old one which is serviceable but it is very heavy.

The plum gathering does sound autumnal! Time for the annual plum crumble soon I think!

Stayed in yesterday doing odd jobs - the sort where the place doesn't look very different afterwards but needed doing.

Today will be birthday present hunt day - will go off to some nice places which are easy to get to in the car and serve tea and cake when one is weary ;).

You must be looking forward to next weekend ltc!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 8th, 2019, 10:43 am

Good morning everyone,
I am indeed EM - it's my first proper break since 2014 :) Hats to my family for finding somewhere that could accommodate us all but was also disability friendly as well as not being too far away, apparently ticking all three boxes was harder than they thought it would be.
It was a lovely day here though decidedly chilly if you stepped out of the sun. I picked another big bowl of brambles and gave the greenhouse plants a good tidying. Unfortunately the toppling tomato pot earlier in the week had done more damage that I thought and I've not got a bowl of green & semi ripe toms in the kitchen, Still lots of fruits left on the plants that remain in the greenhouse. When I have the oven on later I'll roast a tray of ripe ones to add to my passatta stash in the freezer.
It's not as chilly this morning but grey and damp with rain heading our way later. I might get a bit more done outdoors if the rain holds off.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 8th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Hope your meds are sorted out soon Tezza. :hug: :hug:

The Dior/Quant trip sounds lovely but again, probably a bit too far for me. Me and a friend tried to go to both exhibitions a few months ago, before I moved (she's a member so no booking required) but even for members the queue for the Dior was far too long for us to wait (we were combining it with a ballet) and although we made it into the Quant it was too packed to see anything properly. Hopefully it's quietened off a bit now.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I spent this morning, blessedly cool at last, cooking lunch for the two of us. I really enjoyed it despite the hooendous news for both the Bahamas - why has it suddenly dropped out of the media? Not to mention the total clowns in Westminster.

I think I may well need a siesta.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 8th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Oh heck. I can’t do queuing. My legs seize up.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 8th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Mine too PP and so does my patience .
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 8th, 2019, 3:31 pm

My legs seize up in queues too, I dread airports.
Thunder up in the mountains, according to the local paper a pine tree was struck by lightning, causing a fire. Nothing here but we have migrating flocks of bee eaters, a lovely sight as they are v colourful.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 8th, 2019, 4:17 pm

The Dior exhibition has closed I think, and I'd definitely recommend booking tickets for Quant to make sure we all get in without fuss

I have just had a slightly annoying trip to Morrison's, It was full of peopel but the shelves had apparently been looted, they had (on 8th September) no new season apples or British plums, and I still haven't been able to transfer my More card to the app because they can't be bothered to have a workaround for those of us who can't use reCAPTCHA (i.e. getting IT to set up the account and giving me a one time only password, it really isn't rocket science) The audio "option" is a joke, not a funny one, Have written a stiff email to Morrisons.

Need to think of a meal, the tail end of my cold or whatever it was has robbed me of most of my sense of taste, so need to dig something like curry out of the freezer, and leave some expensive Iberico meat for another rday,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 8th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Morrisons is really going downhill IMO. Our local one us supposed to be closing soon. Won't bother going to either of the other two in the town, I only go because I can walk there.

Yes, Dior has ended. I could easily have gone straight into Quant on Friday afternoon, there weren't that many people around. Obviously when arranging a group meet it will be a good idea to book.

Lovely afternoon tootling round the Cotswolds in my courtesy car (the garage have really messed up the registration of the car which will eventually be mine so I am enjoying running up miles in the courtesy car :lol: ). Had a lovely cup of Lapsang and a warm fruit scone with butter whilst sitting in the sun (I did do some walking too!). The birthdays are sorted and I chose marmalade as the preserve to go with the scone so I could save it for a breakfast treat.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 9th, 2019, 5:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I did pop in earlier but forgot to post :o There is a lovely herbal smell here this morning, i am not sure of it source.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 6:12 am

A bright morning ... but it looks as if there’s rain on the way ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2019, 6:51 am

Morning all! :wave: .

Slightly dull outside, rain due in the next hour to last all day. It will be a big housework/turning out day here.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 7:02 am

I think I ought to do a bit of dusting and hovering upstairs ... supper tonight will be a frittata so not a lot of work to be done for that ... there is some paperwork to sort and shred ... but I might leave that until we come back from holiday ... why do today the boring stuff that can be put off until tomorrow ... or something like that ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 9th, 2019, 7:09 am

Good morning wild ones. Stuffs I didn't know you could hover upstairs :lol: :lol: it's cheaper than a stair lift if you can do it :lol: :lol:
It's raining here, thank goodness we got the hedge cut yesterday.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 7:21 am

icelesley wrote:Good morning wild ones. Stuffs I didn't know you could hover upstairs :lol: :lol: it's cheaper than a stair lift if you can do it :lol: :lol: ...

A skill that’s well worth acquiring :lol: ... you have to keep the practicing up tho ... I aim to use it when in Cornwall ... all those steep hills up from the harbour ;) ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 9th, 2019, 8:52 am

One Onion Tart made and cooling here in the sitting room, it in here because of marauding cats, One of the cats, the black one has had kittens, Pug is trying to befriend the smallest one.
The schools have gone back here so there was a lot of early traffic, the 7 30am start makes for an early school run.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 9th, 2019, 9:09 am

Good morning everyone,
Back to rain here again this morning, it's tipping it down at the moment.
My stove flue is getting swept this afternoon, I'm going to finish my :mug: then clear the room a bit.
I made a big pan of lentil & bacon soup yesterday and it's just the weather for a bowlful today, mince & tatties tonight so I'm keeping with the Autumn food theme. ;)
While I had the oven on last night I roasted a large tray of tomatoes with garlic and oregano, they smell wonderful. I'll get them skinned and pureed later to add to my freezer stash. I noticed yesterday that my chard & calvo nero plants had rallied after being decimated by caterpillars, if it dries up I'll nip out to the veg patch and pick some to have with dinner. I'm pleased they have recovered as they last well in the colder weather. I think I've got the "troops" organised for this weekend, if nothing else there will be plenty of booze. I'm not sure what it says about my family as that was the easiest bit to co-ordinate :cocktail: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 9th, 2019, 9:14 am

Morning everyone :wave:
Beds changed and washing hanging out in the sun and breeze.

We are promised rain tomorrow which is probably not good news for the vignerons who started picking last week.

Suffs I would like tips about hovering up stairs. Can you do spiral staicases. It would help me a lot.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 9th, 2019, 9:19 am

Ratatouille wrote:Morning everyone :wave:

We are promised rain tomorrow which is probably not good news for the vignerons who started picking last week.

Suffs I would like tips about hovering up stairs. Can you do spiral staicases. It would help me a lot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would like tips too.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 10:00 am

Ratatouille wrote:Morning everyone :wave:

.... Suffs I would like tips about hovering up stairs. Can you do spiral staicases. It would help me a lot.

That's only for the experienced as you can end up corkscrewing through the roof if you're not careful ... but it is very handy once you've got the hang of it :lol: :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2019, 10:12 am

Good morning
Grey here, rain promised for later and quite cool, but we’ve had no significant precipitation so far, just enough to damp the surfaces
Need to get cracking on the laundry myself so I can iron tomorrow

Need to get the odd job man in too, got a few tasks lined up.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm

The hovering upstairs has been postponed ... I decided it would make sense to do the potentially messy filing and shredding first ... and I’ve done it ... I shall spend the rest of the day polishing my halo as that particular stash of paperwork has been looming larger and larger since .... well, suffice to say I found a couple of bits of paperwork dated 2017 :shock: :oops: I am now totally up to date 8-)

Hovering upstairs will happen tomorrow :lol:
Last edited by suffolk on September 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 9th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Mum had to go for a chest x-ray last week, as she was coughing up blood Thankfully that appears to have stopped thanks to a course of antibios, BUT we still have to wait for x-ray results.
Just praying it's only an infection, and not That Disease.

Got a result this avo (after a bit of nudging).

It ISN'T That Disease! :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
She has gone back to the clinic tho - might need some more antibios, which have been helping.

PHEW!!!!!!!!!
Woz seriously worried, I woz. :cry:

PHEW!!!!!
:kneel:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Hurrah Grassy!
That must be a relief to you all :hug:

So pleased, it sounds treatable from what you say
Take care
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Oat » September 9th, 2019, 2:39 pm

So nice to hear good news Grasshopper, hope your Mum is soon well :)
Oat
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Relief all round!!!!!!! :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:

Must hop off 'till later - she'll be home soon. ;)

TTFN :wave:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 9th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Great news Grassy! Hope she fully recovers soon.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 9th, 2019, 3:31 pm

That's very good news to hear, Grassy - you'll sleep a lot better tonight. :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Good news Grassy. I hope that she can make a full recovery from whatever it is.

I have done masses of turning out, including my wardrobe (I do not follow the rule of throwing things out if I haven't worn them for a year unless I don't like them. Chances are if I haven't that I have been too fat and will fit them again when going through a thinner stage :lol: ). Just the study/junk room to do now and then a good clean on Wednesday. Nice to have put all the toys, paint and puzzles away. GD started school today.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 9th, 2019, 4:35 pm

What a relief Grassy! :luv: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I signed up to receive emails about part time jobs in the area. I keep getting emails asking if I'd like to be a Christmas Elf.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 9th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Go for it!
WWordsworth
Registered

Go for it!
WWordsworth
Registered

Go for it!
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Friend of mine was once the Pink Panther for Christmas in Heals

It's hard work! :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Grassy :hug: Phew!!! :D
Hope the antibiotics sort her out very soon and she’s feeling her normal self again. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 9th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Hope it works out well for Mum Grassy.

I see you as an elf em,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » September 9th, 2019, 6:54 pm

:tu: :tu: :tu: hurrah for mum Grassy! Hope she recovers soon.
slimpersoninside
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop