CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby earthmaiden » November 23rd, 2019, 8:20 am

Morning all! :wave:. Up with the lark as I'm attending a get together with talks etc all weekend.

That's what I feared U3A would be like Suffs, from my observations. The group I went to the other day was alright though so I might join and try others. There are several quite nice creative writing groups round here, I have a friend who's into that sort of thing and she has met interesting and quirky (in a good way) people. Isn't there anything like that in your neck of the woods?

Hope everyone has a good day.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 23rd, 2019, 8:29 am

icelesley wrote:We can paint Witherspoon in 3 weeks

do you think she'll mind - or is it a commission‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2019, 8:47 am

EM there is another U3A writing group just starting up for a trial run
... not as easy to get to but I’m going to make contact with them. I think the nature of the groups does vary, depending on the ‘constituent parts’ ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 23rd, 2019, 9:01 am

As we have a surfeit of mandarins I was pleased to find a Mandarin Cake recipe in todays Guardian, needless to say it was a rehash of the original Mandarin cake recipe that I first saw in Claudia Roden's M E Cookery book, the one where you simmer the fruit for an hour. No acknowledgement of course, although it is probably a traditional recipe.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 23rd, 2019, 9:54 am

Suffs, new research published recently suggests it's better to take BP tablets at night. GP was happy for me to try, but felt very cold during the night so didn't try it again. It's not unusual for me to feel cold by the way, but don't know if it was a co-incidence.

Friends go to U3A discussion group (called philosophy) and really enjoy it. Poor hearing stops me trying. But yes, groups vary. An art group I went to was just convenient opportunity for the villagers (not me) to have a gossip. When a new person took over the group, who wanted it to be about art, it wasn't long before it folded. Such a shame.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 23rd, 2019, 10:36 am

Good morning everyone,
Glad that's the work done icey :)
Thanks for the good luck wishes for my son - the postive vibes must have worked as he won :luv: :D :D and he's now the "Institution of Structural Engineer's Young Structural Engineer (Northern Counties) 2019" . I am absolutely delighted for him :D :D .
On more mundane matters my nephew is arriving shortly to help me with some household jobs that I just can't manage these days. I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what is in a couple high cupboard shelves as I really can't remember and as it is stuff I've not missed for at least four years I think it's time it got re-homed or recycled as I obviously don't need it. :oops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 23rd, 2019, 10:56 am

Wow LTC!!! That's wonderful! You must be SO proud of him..... :tu: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 23rd, 2019, 10:58 am

Seatallan wrote:Wow LTC!!! That's wonderful! You must be SO proud of him..... :tu: :D

Thank you - yes I am he only graduated in 2016 so not even completed his Chartership yet :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2019, 11:27 am

:kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: LTC’s son

I and my bridge and railway building ancestors salute him.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2019, 11:41 am

LTC what an achievement!!! :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :cocktail: :cocktail:

Yes Dennispc ... the research findings were what prompted me to ask the nurse as the publicity all states that it shouldn’t be done without checking with your GP ... I asked the nurse at my regular checkup if I needed to run it past my Doc and she said she’d ask her and let me know if the answer was ‘No’ ... apparently it wasn’t :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 23rd, 2019, 1:54 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

How lovely to wake up feeling like that Suffs. No chance whatsoever here. We are deep in what they erm a Meediterranean weather episode. The Var is on red alert and all the rest of us round about are on orange. It has blown a hooley all night with torrents of rain - our roof leaked. The hatches are well and truly batterned down, Thank goodness the hens live in a stone house with a secure roof.
I've weighed out everything for tomorrow and the fingers are crossed that we don't get the promised powercuts.
I hope Herbie has a lovely day/weekend and Ice doesn't overdo the clearing up :wave: . Well done the workmen for finishing as promised.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 23rd, 2019, 1:57 pm

PS LTC what a wonderful achievement for your son. You must be so proud. Please pass on the
Wildie congratulations. You are in for a lovely Christmas.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 23rd, 2019, 2:07 pm

J decided to empty the pantry and clean the shelves.
He threw away a (half) packet of mini marshmallows which apparently was 9 years out of date.
And a 7 year-old jar of HM jam which was growing.

Even worse, he found my emergency chocolate bar.
And ate it.
Humph
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 23rd, 2019, 2:20 pm

Well done ltc's son :congrats: :
Rats, I think that you are getting our rain, Monday and Tuesday's storms have already been downgraded. Deb had to water the garden this morning.
WWordsworth wrote:Even worse, he found my emergency chocolate bar.And ate it.
How could he do such a thing :o :o :o

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 23rd, 2019, 3:30 pm

Wonderful news ltc!! :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2019, 4:08 pm

Well, I suppose J could argue that he deserved some chocolate!

I’ve nearlyFinished putting the kitchen back, minus muck

Went down to ask ‘er downstairs if there was any chance of her getting some plastic barrels removed as I can’t open my mailbox. Interviews with her can be umm, delicate, but on this occasion she guessed my purpose, smiled, informed me that the oil (biofuel) guy was supposed to collect them 3 weeks ago, and had received a serious tongue lashing yesterday and should turn up on Monday. As he usually comes on Mondays I hold out some hope, I thought they were his anyway, and they have a small value so he should want them back.

I will do some actual cooking in the kitchen next, I have pork cheeks + quince + cider to make a casserole :chops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 23rd, 2019, 8:12 pm

Good evening everyone,
Thank you so much for the good wishes which have passed on to my son. He arrived late afternoon and is like a dog with two tails. His company won five of the awards out of ten categories four of which my son had been involved in, including one project where he got a special mention from the client. He's off out with his pals now for a few beers, I suspect he might be a bit fuzzy headed tomorrow.....
liketocook
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 23rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

Definitely huge congratulations! :)

As a retired Chartered Engineer, I know just how difficult the structural engineering discipline is. I avoided it and went in to hydraulics and water engineering!! :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby liketocook » November 23rd, 2019, 8:50 pm

Thanks aero, it was structural engineering that he always wanted to do though I'm sure all of the disciplines have their own challenges. At the moment the projects he's doing are fairly small scale as he's notCchartered yet (early 2021 if all goes to plan) but long term I think his childhood ambition to build "big things" will be his calling. He was fascinated by the building of the pyramids when he was about 7 and that seemed to be the start..... :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 24th, 2019, 7:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we are out to lunch today, the curry buffet in Saffron, Pissouri Bay. Most Cypriots will be eating fish.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 24th, 2019, 7:57 am

scullion wrote:
icelesley wrote:We can paint Witherspoon in 3 weeks

do you think she'll mind - or is it a commission‽‽

:lol: :lol: I just noticed that reading. back :lol: it should say paint with emulsion :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 24th, 2019, 8:01 am

Good morning wild ones. We are still cleaning, the dust really does get into places you wouldn't imagine :shock: the doors are back in place now, so we are starting to look more normal, well as normal as you can be with two long walls drying out in varying places :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 24th, 2019, 8:08 am

icelesley wrote:We are still cleaning, the dust really does get into places you wouldn't imagine

It keeps circulating for months if my experience is typical. It is great to have the work done though.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2019, 9:06 am

Morning all! :wave:. A quick hello as I'm running late for today's activities. Keep up the good work icey!

I've decided I like driving in the dark on the sort of narrowish roads where cars are coming the other way all the time even less than I used to. I suppose old age is creeping in :( .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 24th, 2019, 9:31 am

Good morning folks
Grey and damp here but apparently it won’t rain again until this evening

Just getting on. Will need to catch up with my laundry backlog soon, but difficult to do while simultaneously deep cleaning the kitchen

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 10:32 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
It's a damp and grey morning ... but I must plant the last of my crocuses ....
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 24th, 2019, 10:45 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm joining you in the damp and grey though it's much milder than it's been recently.
No sign of my son surfacing yet, I'm not sure what time he got back but I suspect it would be after the pub shut at 2.00am. As there is no nightclub in town some of the pubs are allowed a late licence on a Saturday.
I've a small pork leg joint defrosting to roast later. I've not had roast pork & crackling for a while so I'm really looking forward to it. Roasties, cauli cheese, carrots and cabbage to go with and of course lots of gravy :drool: .
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 11:20 am

We also have pork today LTC ... a small piece of rolled shoulder ... we’ll have it with roasties, roast parsnips, cabbage and a sage and apple stuffing (baked in a dish), and a mustard and cider gravy. :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 24th, 2019, 11:56 am

earthmaiden wrote:I've decided I like driving in the dark on the sort of narrowish roads where cars are coming the other way all the time even less than I used to. I suppose old age is creeping in :( .

I've really noticed the same this year. I don't mind morning dark but evening dark driving is beginning to scare me.

Morning all. :wave:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » November 24th, 2019, 1:38 pm

more carrots?
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 24th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:I've decided I like driving in the dark on the sort of narrowish roads where cars are coming the other way all the time even less than I used to. I suppose old age is creeping in :( .

I've really noticed the same this year. I don't mind morning dark but evening dark driving is beginning to scare me.

Me too, in fact I noticed this as the year worn on when I was doing the Friday night drive to Hitchin and back taking a young lady to her diving class ... I gave her parents fair warning that I would only carry this on until the clocks went back. When I do the 5 am taxi service (of daughter to Uxbridge for the first bus for her to get to work), I don't find the journey that bad at all, however, a) there is hardly any traffic and b) I can stay on side roads ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 24th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Back from a very long lunch of the Danish variety.Very nice but it was a bit of an assault course to get there as it has rained steadily all night and right up until we left again and Kai and Margrethe's garden is 3 inches deep in water. Fortunately the house is not built at ground level

The spring whch appears on Jean-Pauls land has sprung up, the Immerge, the little river which runs at the bottom of the hameau has broken it's banks and the river which runs through Apt has covered the car park. To the detriment of several local cars which had been left there - even though it clearly says - in English as well as French "Submersible Parking"!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Oh dear Rats, you seem to have had terrible weather for a long time :(.

The drive home tonight was slightly better. Last night it was raining. It is better on strange, dark, wet, bendy roads when someone is not right on your tail too!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 24th, 2019, 7:09 pm

I’ve just been watching David Attenborough- did anyone else see the European hamsters in the Austrian graveyards? All I could think of was Uschi’s dear little hamsters. Seriously impressive acrobatics when fighting for the fresh flowers laid on the graves.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 24th, 2019, 10:24 pm

I love Uschi's hamster drawings - it's the closest I've been to a hamster for a long time :lol:
I used to keep them as a child in England, but they are classified as an illegal rodent over here in Oz. Pity they didn't keep out the rabbits, foxes, camels............ :(
Rainbow
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 25th, 2019, 6:07 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it is so grey this morning that if I did not know better I would say that it is going to rain.
Busybee wrote:All I could think of was Uschi’s dear little hamsters.
That was my thought too.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 25th, 2019, 8:01 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: We are still cleaning. I started upstairs 3 bedrooms and a large bathroom,
then the landing and stairs and worked down to the hall, at that point I was cream crackerd. :shock:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 25th, 2019, 8:49 am

Morning all! :wave:. Haven't watched last night's Attenborough yet. I would like to see hamsters in the wild. We had them when the children were small but I used to feel quite sorry for them stuck in a cage much of the time.

Damp here but the forecast is better than for some parts. Usual everyday things to do and maybe get some Christmas shopping out of the way, my least favourite pastime.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 8:55 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
We’ve overslept! ... OH is at home today so no problem ... thankfully :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 25th, 2019, 9:09 am

I've got a day off. My son is on leave today and is kereping an eye on the OH. I'm off to Brasserie Zedel for lunch!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 25th, 2019, 9:14 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I've got a day off. My son is on leave today and is kereping an eye on the OH. I'm off to Brasserie Zedel for lunch!

Have a fabulous day PP. I’m betting on the floating islands featuring somewhere :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 9:18 am

Oooh have some Floating Islands for me too!!! :mrgreen:
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 25th, 2019, 9:56 am

Busybee wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:I've got a day off. My son is on leave today and is kereping an eye on the OH. I'm off to Brasserie Zedel for lunch!

Have a fabulous day PP. I’m betting on the floating islands featuring somewhere :lol:

BB

Oooh, enjoy :bounce: :chops: :chef: :hungry: :hug: :hug: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 25th, 2019, 10:29 am

Good morning everyone,
Enjoy your lunch and time off PP :hungry:
I've not seen the Attenborough programme yet, I had hamsters when I was growing up and again when my kids were small. Ours used to get out of their cage quite a bit and we did sometimes lose one for a few days but they thankfully always did reappear. :) We had one where you could pretty much leave the cage door open all the time as it liked to go for a wander but always returned to it's cosy bed to snooze. It was a bit of a magpie though and you used to find random things stashed in it's bedding like lego when you cleaned it out and once an earring I had lost!!
My son left a short while ago, he's using some hours owed to only work a half day today as he didn't want to drive yesterday after being out the night before.
It's grey and drizzling here but really quite mild, it's to get cold again later in the week again.
Last nights pork joint was superb I think I've convinced my son that it's worth spending a bit more for a decent piece. He's away with some of the leftovers in his packed lunch. :chops:
My bramble gin will be ready to bottle in a week or so, I must look through my bottle collection and check I have enough of the ones I want. I've got most of the folk who I give a bottle to well-trained to return them once empty. ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 25th, 2019, 10:51 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It has finally stopped raining and a faint yellow disc has appeared in the sky.Hovever we discovered that the stand-in post man left a smallish package of books etc in the post box on Saturday withput ringing the bell and they are now papier mache. Rather annoying as they were stocking fillers for Mr R.
The road from the East into Avignon is blocked because the Durance has broken it's banks. The only way into the city requires a 35km detour.

PP have a lovely day off and enjoy your lunch.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 25th, 2019, 11:23 am

The olive harvest is in full swing here, there was lots of collecting from the family plots when we were out yesterday. The big commercial olive groves collect during the week. The move to plant based food is having some interesting effects. There is serious market gardening and orchards around Pissouri, the have good soil and water. At least one of the farmers has planted a new carob grove. I have never seen new carob trees before, the trees are every where, we have two in the garden, but when those local farmers, who are nobody's fools, start planting new trees you know that they are anticipating a demand.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 25th, 2019, 11:47 am

Good morning
Have a good time at Zedel PP

I had a hamster called Cornflake because of her colour. I put the Attenborough on after supper but fell asleep and missed the hamsters, I did see the lynx on the lawn though

Woke up this morning with a cold which explains the snoozing I think. My deep clean / decluttering of the kitchen is just about done, haven’t found many horrors or even much to discard but did discover that my tin of Old Bay seasoning expired in March 2004 so I discarded it. It was a big tin and it just makes all the difference to fitting things into my spice cupboard. :D

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 25th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Rats, how disappointing re the books. I hope that golden globe in the sky stays with you for a while now.

How lovely to be having lunch at Zedel today :hungry:.

Our hamsters were Hannibal followed by Hamuel. When we moved to a house with central heating we left the cage with Hamuel on a shelf above (not on) a radiator. He died during the night, we were never sure if it was age, change of scenery or that he got too hot :? I psyched myself up to break the news to DS in the morning but he looked really happy and reminded me that we had said we could have a cat once Hamuel was no more.

I have wasted the morning but the sun has come out :o so I'm going out before the next rain comes across.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 25th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Our immersion heater is not working, almost no sun today so I may not shower this evening :rolleyes: Needless to say our usual electrician is working in Paphos all week.
Meanwhile the local pizzeria is closed today, it is the chef's name day

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 25th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Will I stay awake all the way through Only Connect tonight? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop