CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby aero280 » November 25th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Yes, I did!! First time in three episodes!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » November 26th, 2019, 6:27 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we do not have any hot water. No sun yesterday so the solar panels did not function. We are expecting an electrician, Deb ended up phoning Kyriacos, our landlord to ask if he knew of one. Kyriacos runs an interior decorating firm so has a list of tradesmen, he sending an electrician this morning. Neither of us know where the hot water tank is situated.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 26th, 2019, 7:59 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining again. It rained all day yesterday once it started. :rolleyes: Today the new skirting boards will be undercoated and MORE cleaning to b done. :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 26th, 2019, 8:10 am

aero280 wrote:Yes, I did!! First time in three episodes!! :D

It was very exciting at the end!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 8:40 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Pepper Pig wrote:
aero280 wrote:Yes, I did!! First time in three episodes!! :D

It was very exciting at the end!

Wasn’t it just!!! :D

I got several of the connections and sequences but those walls were tough :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2019, 9:40 am

Morning all! :wave: I thought that most of OC was hard last night.

Dull and damp here. Meeting GD from school later. We have been extraordinarily lucky with 3pm weather for the past few weeks, I hope today is the same.

Must do some housework first :(. I really hate the thought of housework but it's not so bad once you get going.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 26th, 2019, 10:13 am

WE were told to expect the electrician between 9 00 - 10 00am, this is Cypriot for Tuesday morning if you are lucky. At 9 00am I heard a cheery Kalimera, there was the electrician putting his ladder up to roof. The immersion heater has been put on to test it, we will give it to 2 00pm. He also fixed the flush on my loo, can you imagine a UK electrician doing that.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 11:01 am

Useful chap Moira ... take that man's number :hi5:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 26th, 2019, 11:48 am

Good morning everyone,
Sounds like a definite keeper Moira, hope you got his number :hi5:
It's another wet & misrable day here. I'm having a lazy morning as I have a disability review this afternoon which as it's not local will take a few hours. It will be a taxi door to door so at least I shouldn't get soaked.
I don't expect I'll feel like doing anything very much when I get back apart from hunkering down on the sofa in front of TV, dinner will be a "here's one I made earlier" from the freezer.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 26th, 2019, 1:44 pm

The immersion heater is not working, we are expecting the electrician, again. Meanwhile the sun has shone most of the day so the chill will have been taken off the water. There are storms forecast for today but there has not been a rumble of thunder nor a splash of rain.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Did you find out where the hot water tank was?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 26th, 2019, 2:22 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Did you find out where the hot water tank was?
The electrician knew that it was up on the roof in classic Cypriot fashion. I think that we shall be boiling kettles so that we can wash.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Well, as long as the loo isn’t flushing with hot water :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 26th, 2019, 6:03 pm

suffolk wrote:Well, as long as the loo isn’t flushing with hot water :lol:

I once had a phonecall at work from a lady who said "I'm getting hot flushes, but my husband isn't" :D :D

Turned out that a plumber had connected the loo to the hot water. They were a retired couple. The husband got up in the morning, went to the loo, then downstairs to make a cup of tea. While he was downstairs, the cistern filled up with hot water and was still hot when she got up and went to the loo, but it had cooled overnight before he went.

Same scenario when they went out. He went to the loo, then got the car out of the garage. She went to the loo while he was doing that.

We sent a man round and it all got sorted out. :tu: :tu:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Steamy loo flush :sprout:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 27th, 2019, 12:02 am

aero280 wrote:Turned out that a plumber had connected the loo to the hot water.

In my Canada days a self-builder did that, I was fresh off the boat as they say in those parts and was shocked at the profligacy, a hot bath cost about a week's wages then in the good old Uk.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 27th, 2019, 6:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, George, the electrician arrived just before 8 00 am. All the power to the kitchen is turned off, so no coffee :o
We had some over night rain, but not much.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 27th, 2019, 7:54 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: the new skirting boards are understated, gloss will be today :bounce: then I need to get the carpet people to come out and street the carpet back into place.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 27th, 2019, 8:02 am

Heavy rain last night kept us awake for quite a while.

Moira ... that’s awful ... here you are :mug: :mug:

No tennis today as a funeral is using the hall ... I shall have to find something else to keep me out of mischief...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 27th, 2019, 8:09 am

We have hot water, hurrah, now I can wash my hair :D
suffolk wrote:No tennis today as a funeral is using the hal
Is that for the wake? perhaps you should pop in for a ham sandwich. When my aunt died earlier this year the family badly miscalculated the number of people attending, there was not enough food, my uncle was mortified.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 9:05 am

Morning all you busy people! :wave: It's a gorgeous day here. I'm not bothering with oldies cinema as it's a film I don't much want to see. I am going to watch Rick Stein whilst the washing goes round in the machine instead. I couldn't have dreamed of such a morning during the hours spent with boiler and spin dryer and it feels totally luxurious. I'm away for a couple of days tomorrow and will be doing a lot of housework later.

There's a bit of a fuss going on locally. Not nice of course but It tickled my level of schoolboy humour all the same - https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... obscenity/
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 27th, 2019, 9:43 am

Good morning everyone,
EEK Moira, hope your leccy is back on soon. Have some of mine :mug: :mug:
Grey, damp and chilly here this morning though at least it's not tipping it down.
Apart from putting away a grocery order I'm not sure what my plans for the day are yet. Probably nothing very much as I didn't sleep very well and I'm tired this morning.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 27th, 2019, 10:27 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It is a lovely sunny morning, having rained non-stop all night.
Ive got my mincemeat to put into jars today. Ive got to have enough to make les maince peas for the hameau Christmas party.

I got very cross with the English family living in the Dordogne on last night's programme. She seemed to be saying that the French don't think the English can cook and belttiles their efforts.It turned out she only entertained fellow Brits or Americans so how on earth are her French neighbours to know either way. The Dordogne is known among other expat brits, a quite a lot of natives, as Vovoshire and jokes are made that there are more cricket clubs than boules clubs!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 27th, 2019, 11:57 am

Moira, it’s quite a large complex of buildings https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/mormo ... eaton.html. There’ll be a polling station in it very soon.

Our broadband disappeared for a couple of hours ... hopefully all is well now. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Good noon
we had lovely sun for a very short time, back to rain now

I've got a bit of a tum, so taking it easy, haven't eaten anything for 24 hors but might do soon

A day for sorting laundry, which is what I need to do

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 27th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Just heard that Johnathan Miller has died too ... not the easiest of folk by some accounts ... but he made a huge contribution to the performing arts and modern culture. Quite a legacy :kneel:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm

It seems that the end of year cull of the famous has started early

Miller, Rhodes, and not famous but a backgammon acquaintance, well0known and liked on the tour, all within the last 48 hours

I did a course in the Anatomy department at UCL when Jonathan Miller was a lecturer there, never met him though to my disappointment, only saw him in the distance,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 27th, 2019, 4:19 pm

StokeySue wrote:It seems that the end of year cull of the famous has started early

Miller, Rhodes, and not famous but a backgammon acquaintance, well0known and liked on the tour, all within the last 48 hours

Now it's Clive James ...
KC2
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 28th, 2019, 6:31 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a very distinguished queue at St Peter's gate yesterday.
I went over to Pissouri for my usual Wednesday craft group. A had made me a fabric Christmas tree as requested, it is not decorated except for a star, but it could have been. She would not take any payment but would accept a jar of "something sticky", I will take her some Mango Chutney. A is the knitter of Nativity Sets, one of her sets is being raffled for a local charity.

Supper was a disaster last night, I made Leek & Potato soup, over salted the soup, adding extra potato did not help. We eventually had Cheese Omelettes. I know that it seems daft but I am sure one brand of salt is saltier, is that possible?

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 28th, 2019, 7:57 am

Good morning wild ones. Sad day yesterday with the deaths of Gary Rhodes, Clive James and Jonathan Miller being announced :(
Moira, yes I do think some salt is saltier than others :shock: Today is shopping again, I did last weeks' early with the work being done, so we are completely out of fresh veg and fruit :o
icelesley
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 28th, 2019, 8:22 am

icelesley wrote:yes I do think some salt is saltier than others

So do I although logically it seems silly.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2019, 8:37 am

I like the way JM and CJ waited until there was a really good chef in the recent intake before heading for the pearly gates themselves ... I’ll try to follow their example ;)

Jolly wet and windy here today. My new laptop should be ready to collect from John Lewis this afternoon, but now OH has to go Into work at midday so we’ll go and collect it tomorrow ... hopefully the Black Friday throng won’t be too intense ...

Not sure what I’m going to do today now that our plans have changed ... I might make some cheese scones ... supper is a lamb hotpot with middle neck of lamb m. topped with a crust of scalloped potatoes.
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 28th, 2019, 10:22 am

Good morning everyone,
An odd day yesterday with three prominent people I admired passing as well as Iain Sutherland from the Sutherland Brothers who wrote "Arms of Mary" a song I've always liked.
Sunny here this morning which is welcome after all the rain & gloom. It's to dip below freezing tonight though.
Turkey & trimmings order has been placed with the butcher to collect on the 23rd so at least that is something off of my Christmas "to do" list.
I'm swithering between steaming some salmon or making a cottage pie for dinner tonight.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 28th, 2019, 10:28 am

Love the word 'swithering' ..... :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 28th, 2019, 10:30 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:Love the word 'swithering' ..... :tu:

:lol: :lol: it's one of my favourites but I forgot when posting that it might not be used across the UK. :oops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2019, 10:34 am

Morning all! :wave:. It was one of those nights when I gave up trying to sleep so consequently have woken late. I think my body clock is still a bit jumbled :lol:.

What a shame about the soup Moira, if it was the same salt as usual the theory could be flawed!

I'm off on a hurriedly planned adventure today, I am organised despite the late start. I am going to something in eastern parts on Saturday and thought I'd have an extra day to explore. Don't be horrified if we bump into each other tomorrow Suffs :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2019, 10:47 am

It’d be lovely to bump into you EM ... we could have a quick coffee break :mug: :mug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2019, 11:44 am

Why is it that the postman and various other people all wait until I have just got out of the shower before congregating on my doorstep? I could understand it if I were 50 years younger. Thank goodness for the large towelling dressing gown that DD gave me some years ago as a present I didn't think I wanted much!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 28th, 2019, 12:16 pm

miss mouse wrote:
icelesley wrote:yes I do think some salt is saltier than others

So do I although logically it seems silly.

There's not much if any difference by weight - but by volume, a pinch, a teaspoon, there can be quite a difference

And some sea salts taste much more interesting than ordinary table salts if you put a few grains on your tongue, because of the different way they dissolve, which is why it is in fact OK, even desirable to keep you expensive fancy seas salt for finishing fishes in the kitchen or at the table
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 28th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I've got a very unhappy tum today and daren't wander too far from the loo so Mr R is making a solo run to the supermarket.
We have spend the most frustrating morning trying to get our Fremch bank to talk sense. I found a special discount voucher for dinner b&b at a top Jersey hotel which I thought would make a perfect gift for DS and d-i-l. Got all the way to paying for it only to be told it had to be by pay pal. Idon't have an account and Mr R's ancient one is in Sterling and he can't transfer money from our French account without having to apply in person to M le President it seems. To pay by British credit card takes 3 days for the transfer and the whole offer ends today.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 28th, 2019, 3:33 pm

As Gary Rhodes was a chef at the Castle Hotel in Taunton, Points West did a feature of him last night. Archive film showed him in quite a small kitchen with white plastic surfaces against today's shots of everything stainless steel everything. Kit Chapman, owner of the Castle reckoned it was GR who gave the hotel its reputation.

Jonathan Miller - amongst my collection is the original LP of Beyond the Fringe.

Clive James was so talented.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 28th, 2019, 11:32 pm

liketocook wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:Love the word 'swithering' ..... :tu:

:lol: :lol: it's one of my favourites but I forgot when posting that it might not be used across the UK. :oops:

It's not a word I know, but like Patsy I really like it :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby scullion » November 29th, 2019, 1:23 am

well, it's only me and my friend google bot at the moment - aren't we the sad ones‽
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 6:17 am

Glad you had some company last night Scully ;)
It’s chilly this morning, but I don’t think we have the frost they threatened/promised.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 29th, 2019, 6:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it is usually just me and the bots first thing in the morning but I see that Suffs is up first today.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 7:14 am

Good morning Moira :wave: :mug:
‘Up’ is a relative term ... I’m sitting up in bed waiting for OH to open his eyes ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 29th, 2019, 8:07 am

Could someone tell me what a bot is, please
Gruney
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 29th, 2019, 8:14 am

Good morning wild ones. It's very frosty this morning. The greenhouse looks like an ice cube :o Today is our 44th wedding anniversary :D as we are still on clean up :rolleyes: I will cook a nice meal tonight. I bought some big juicy king prawns yesterday and I have some filo pastry off cuts in the freezer so will do king prawns wrapped in filo then deep fried with sweet chilli sauce to start. Then duck breast with honey and five spice brushed over the skin (if I have five spice, :? It might just be honey) anyway served with hassleback potatoes and a medley of steamed veg followed by cream and strawberry meringue (I don't do desserts so shop bought) :oops: we have champagne, a nice pinot noir to go with the duck. I also have a small cheeseboard and bix if wanted. :D
Last edited by icelesley on November 29th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 8:15 am

Gruney ... It’s a sort of automatic software (the name comes from ‘robot’ ) that scours information on the web ... it’s how Google and the other search engines work ... there are also malicious ones.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot
Last edited by suffolk on November 29th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2019, 8:16 am

Good morning
Cold, sunny, off to visit the London Mithraem with a U3A group. I know nothing except that it’s the remains of the late Roman temple of Mithras, and it’s in the heart of the City by Bank. I’ll know a lot more by lunch time as we are having a guided tour.

Book club tonight.

Have a good day everyone, stay warm
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop