CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 8:18 am

Happy anniversary Mr and Mrs Ice :cocktail: :cocktail:
Have a lovely day.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2019, 8:21 am

Crikey we all posted at once

Happy anniversary icey!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 29th, 2019, 8:30 am

suffolk wrote:Gruney ... It’s a sort of automatic software (the name comes from ‘robot’ ) that scours information on the web ... it’s how Google and the other search engines work ... there are also malicious ones.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

Thanks Suffs.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 9:32 am

We’re going into the city to pick up my new laptop ... think OH has plans for a pint in The Lamb ... shall we have one for you Gruney? ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 29th, 2019, 10:08 am

I hope it's the John Tavener version Suffs. ;)

Most unusually for me I overslept. Came down at 9.30 to find OH up, dressed and breakfasted. Asked him if he'd wondered whether I might be dead (I sleep up on the second floor) and he said he wouldn't have thought about it until dinner time. :lol: Nice to see he still has a sense of humour. :evil: :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 29th, 2019, 10:18 am

Good morning everyone,
Happy anniversary Icey and Mr Icey :cocktail: :cocktail:
Bright and frosty here this morning, the sun's come out so the frost should lift soon.
I have admin to do for the out school club that needs to be done today but I'll have a trundle round the block to get some fresh air before I start, it's too nice a day to not make the most of it.
One of my go to online butchers has reduced everything by 25% for Black Friday, they usually do so I had been checking and now I'm trying to decide (swithering :lol: ) how much room I have in my freezer before I get carried away. ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 29th, 2019, 10:26 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's a lovely day so at last the wood will dry out. If the weather continues like this there is not a cat in hell's chance for an ice scupture to survive until the 12th. Who fancies a puddle fro PM?

Many happy returns Mr and Mrs Ice. Enjoy your meal which sounds lovely. We'ree having kedgeree tonight.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 29th, 2019, 11:31 am

Morning all! :wave:. I was blocked earlier :evil:.

Happy Anniversary icey :luv:.

Very envious if Sue, that is somewhere on my list of places I'd like to go. Nevertheless, am having a lovely morning in Norwich, the city of my childhood and there are delightful ghosts round every corner. I haven't been here for a really good look round for many years.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 29th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Happy Anniversary, Icey :cocktail:
We went over to Pissouri for our usual Mah Jong session, there were only three of us there, usually it is 10 - 12 players, we have managed 16 people. I know that others have visitors, doctors appointments and pre Christmas UK visits. I hope that there are more players next week as the taverna opens early for us on Friday plus there has been in row in the family that own the taverna. Father is very anti our group so may choose to accommodate us, not that he does any of the work :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 29th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone. OH has just popped down to the surgery for his shingles jab, I think we have done as much as we can for today so this aft will be a sit and relax afternoon. The sun has come out and the beasts are curled up in the sunny spot coming through the window. Peace and quiet at last. :lol: :lol: <wisperngsmiley> :?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Sitting in John Lewis cafeteria people watching and waiting while they oversee my new laptop updating and uploading virus software etc. Apparently t’internet is grinding exceedingly slow today, wonder why :cry:
DS has just phoned me with news of an ‘incident’ on London Bridge ... he had colleagues working in central London today and they say the place has gone into lock-down. Hope everyone’s safe ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Well, I've been to the Mithraeum - when I found it, Bloomberg have spent a fortune on doing really, really, well but clearly employed one of those designers who think that signage should be discreet, I had a little trouble with the labelling in the very swanky loos
it doesn't actually take long, we were in there almost exactly an hour, and it would have take less time with less people to talk to . At ground level there is a contemporary art display, currently four large sculptures and a wall of objects form the Walbrook dig behind glass. This is excellent, no labels, you pick up an iPad which has a picture of the display on it, touch the object you are interested in, and it shows you some relevant information ,ery easy to read
Then you go downstairs to a waiting area where there's some audio (and a bit of visual) telling you about the cult of Mithras, Then yo are invited to go in batches down another level to the actual temple (it's quite small, more a chapel) and there's a bit of son et lumiere to give you a feel for what it would be like in use, and you get time to walk round and look at it.
Afterwards we went and had a peep at St Stephen Walbrook almost opposite, a lovely Wren church, no used in the round. Then we went for a sandwich,
Nice outing, but I am now tired!

Yes, it sounds as if there has been an copy cat terror attack at London Bridge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50604781
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 29th, 2019, 5:28 pm

our son texted at about half two to say, just in case we had heard anything on the radio and were worried (we were), he was ok - he works very close to london bridge.
he's getting more thoughtful as he gets older it seems.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 5:28 pm

We are home and the new laptop is up and running ... you can see I am prioritising which functions I get to know first. :lol:

It look (fingers crossed) as if the police have the incident under control and that there were some very brave members of the public ... heroes :kneel: but DS says the news from his colleagues is that London is even more chaotic than usual on a Friday at this time of year and they can't get their equipment across Central London to where it's supposed to be ... he may have to organise a duplicate load and drive there going round the long way.

Well, it looks as if I'm getting the hang of this keyboard :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 29th, 2019, 5:43 pm

My son replied to my text immediately, which he never does, to say he was safe and crossing the Milennium Bridge at the time. There but for the grace of God etc.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » November 29th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:My son replied to my text immediately, which he never does, to say he was safe and crossing the Milennium Bridge at the time. There but for the grace of God etc.

I bet you were still very wobbly, even though he did get back to you swiftly.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 29th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Yup. :scared:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2019, 7:39 pm

PP :hug:

DS doesn't know whether he'll be driving there in the next few hours or not ... he says his colleagues can't get hotel rooms in Central London for love nor money tonight :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 29th, 2019, 7:55 pm

That’s not surprising, according to our daughter our son is going to be home late tonight. It would take him about 45 or so mins to walk back to his flat (from London Bridge) so he must be holed up in the office for a while.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 30th, 2019, 7:02 am

Good Morning Wild Ones from a rainy Cyprus, I have been listening to the Five Live feed about yesterdays London Bridge incident, some very brave passers by. Glad to read that everyone's relatives are safe.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2019, 7:54 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
We have a very sharp frost; the sky is pale blue with tints of gold and pink ... it’s a beautiful morning.
I hope all those stuck in London managed to get to a comfy bed for the night.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 30th, 2019, 7:57 am

Good morning wild ones. We are cloaked in white frost, the greenhouse is an image of an ice cube again and the car is solid white all over and it is -5C :shock: :rolleyes: we had our lovely meal last night, it was delicious :chops: we have the last few bits of furniture to put back in place then we are done until new year :hi5:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2019, 8:03 am

Morning all! :wave:. Glad that Wildie offspring and Sue are ok. So sad.

Lovely-looking day. Moving on today and spending the day with a group of friends, then the long trek home afterwards. I really must work on resetting my body clock, it has decided it doesn't want to go to sleep at a sensible time.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 30th, 2019, 11:11 am

I went for a dental check up yesterday, and had a funny experience. As I was waiting, I spotted a large notice in the window - "Black Friday Special Offers" - at a dentists'! :terrified: It took a minute or two to work out it was probably referring to private cosmetic treatments. :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2019, 11:16 am

You really don't need any cosmetic treatments Gruney ;)
By the way, we had a couple of pints at The Lamb for you yesterday ... I asked OH to get me the low alcohol Adnam's Ghostship ... I thought it tasted particularly good and was slipping down exceedingly well ... and then he remembered to tell me that they hadn't got any Ghostship so Ihe'd got me the Adnam's Bitter instead ... it really is my favourite beer but I had planned to keep a very clear head yesterday :oops: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 30th, 2019, 11:33 am

Thanks Suffs - no, I wasn't contemplating anything like that; it was just my six monthly check up. Delighted my aura is still felt in The Lamb - I really did have a good hour there. I'm quite fond of Adnam's bitter, myself - it's not readily available where I live, but Marston's is good stuff, especially "Pedigree", if you're not on a session. There's also my all time favourite - draught Bass.
Gruney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 30th, 2019, 1:02 pm

The BBC showed Gary Rhodes Christmas menu programme after Saturday Kitchen today. Mostly traditional but as with most of these it was all about pre preparation. Made in 1998 it showed that you would need a very large fridge and possibly a double oven although he did sanction the use of a microwave to finish off the vegetables.
I bought a frozen N Z boned lamb joint from Lidl earlier this week, it is de frosting prior to pot roasting. Sometimes I wonder about Lidl, it was labelled Boned Pork Leg in their on line leaflet, although the photo of the packaging clearly said Lamb. When I got to the shop the freezer label still said Pork. The Greek words for Pork and Lamb are very different.
The thunder is muttering again

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 30th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Good afternoon,
Shocking incident at London Bridge, I'm glad all Wildies with offspring the area were able to get in touch with them quickly and that Sue is ok.
Bitterly cold here and only just above freezing just now, it's supposed to be -4C by 6pm tonight!
Thanks for the heads up on the Gary Rhodes Christmas menu programme which I'll watch later. I'm not sure if it's that episode but I've made country pate recipe shown on one of them a few times and it's jolly good.
I have some venison strips defrosting which I plan to make a sort off stroganoff with for dinner, I should really be having haggis but that's on my menu for tomorrow as I want to use it to stuff chicken thighs which I forgot to take out to defrost. :oops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 30th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I completely crashed last night and went to bed without turning anything off. The so-called debate finally finished me off.

I found yesterdy'a new shocking and I was even more shocked when I heard who the attcker was. Under surveillance????? How did he get into a conference about offenders with a mock suicide vest and 2 knives?? Thank goodness there are still so many public spirited folk around.

There were practically no stalls in the market this week so there were many holes in my list. Even the patisserie was closed. Howeverr Mr R came home with a tiumphant grin and a lovely Christmas tree. Small Nordman trees are very difficult to find here so that's something else ticked off the list.I've got 8 more cards to write so they can go off on Monday before the postaal strike which is due to start on Thursday.Nothing is going to move anywhere after that.

Which Wildie is it who keeps rats? GS wants 2 for his birthday, in fact he already has them. He says one looks just like me ( :rolleyes: ) and he's called her Little Granny. I am obviously going to have to make her a chef's toque. I want to get him a really good book about how to care for them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 30th, 2019, 2:07 pm

It’s Smitch who keeps rats Rats. :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 30th, 2019, 2:26 pm

[quote=" There's also my all time favourite - draught Bass.[/quotn

Now you are talking, I love Bass, second only to Theakstons. My best friend lives in Burton on Trent. We have been know. To spend quite a lot of time at the brewery or Tower brewery tap room.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 30th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Busybee wrote:My best friend lives in Burton on Trent.

Next time you're there, get your friend to take you to "The Cooper's Arms".
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Let no one say we don't have all mod cons here in Norfolk
https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/home-t ... -1-6402526
:shock: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 30th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Gruney wrote:
Busybee wrote:My best friend lives in Burton on Trent.

Next time you're there, get your friend to take you to "The Cooper's Arms".

I know it well. My friends daughter hosts the open mic nights there, additionally we usually have one in The Bridge on our way walking into town, she lives just off Ashby Road.

Do you live in the vicinity?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 30th, 2019, 5:12 pm

suffolk wrote:Let no one say we don't have all mod cons here in Norfolk
https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/home-t ... -1-6402526
:shock: :lol:

My sister's second flat in Sheffield had an outside loo and the shower was in the ktichen :shock: But that was c. 1982...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm

liketocook wrote:Good afternoon,
Shocking incident at London Bridge, I'm glad all Wildies with offspring the area were able to get in touch with them quickly and that Sue is ok. . :oops:

I am relieved, for once, that my husband leaves work later than that. It's his station.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » November 30th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Yes it is me with the rats, I’ve got 8 of them. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

I’ve never found a good book, most are very outdated. There is an excellent website run by a very experienced breeder I’d highly recommend http://www.isamurats.co.uk/. Rat Rations is a great place to buy high quality food mixes (pet shop stuff is rubbish) and other treats https://ratrations.co.uk/. There are also loads of people who make hammocks and other beds for them, which they absolutely love to snuggle into.
smitch
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 30th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Busybee wrote:Do you live in the vicinity?

Not a million miles away up the A444. I used to sing in a Male Voice Choir nearby, for many years, so got to know the area and its "attractions" pretty well. I'm with a different Choir nowadays.
Gruney
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » November 30th, 2019, 8:36 pm

My Son had rats when he lived at home. They were intelligent and easy to train but we have a Terrier so they had to live in Son’s bedroom and I used to spend my evenings chatting and playing with them when Son was out with his girlfriend (now wife). It’s such a shame they don’t live that long - I miss them..
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 30th, 2019, 10:18 pm

A colleague kept show rats
I used to do the pre-show pedicure
I really liked the apricots (fur colour)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 1st, 2019, 1:15 am

Herbidacious wrote: It's his station.

and my son's.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 1st, 2019, 7:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, was anyone in North London/Beds/Herts woken just after 4 00am by the sonic boom? Years ago when my parents first lived in Torquay they occasionally heard the sonic boom of the French Concorde flying to Rio, it was reputed to come from the Bay of Biscay area.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 1st, 2019, 8:05 am

Good morning wild ones. We are very frosty again, -5C and white with frost. Very seasonal for 1st December :D the heating will be staying on today I think.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 1st, 2019, 9:08 am

was anyone in North London/Beds/Herts woken just after 4 00am by the sonic boom?

I slept through it. I did hear the bomb go off in Finchley when I lived in Edmonton.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 1st, 2019, 9:32 am

Morning all! :wave:. Too far away to hear any booms.
suffolk wrote:Let no one say we don't have all mod cons here in Norfolk

That would have been considered quite luxurious when I lived in Norfolk :lol:. Certainly 'interesting' placement though!

Looks another nice day. I spent much of yesterday outdoors in a Suffolk village and it was so nice we didn't really need coats. Unpacking and tidying up today and a walk. I might brave the crowds and go to the Christmas craft fair at the Steam museum. The crafts aren't usually very interesting and crowds horrendous but they put on excellent entertainment (local choirs, brass bands etc of a high standard) which you can sit and watch from comfortable seats.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 1st, 2019, 9:35 am

Once I get to sleep, very little wakes me. I slept through the Buncefield explosion, which is eight miles away, yet the pressure wave somehow lifted the trapdoor in the ceiling and set it askew.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » December 1st, 2019, 9:50 am

Good morning all :D :mug: :mug: :mug:

Another beautiful morning here for Advent Sunday ... and a pinch and a punch for everyone and lots of white rabbits too :lol:

Glad you enjoyed yesterday EM ... according to DD it was more clement in Suffolk than it felt here :rolleyes:

OH will be setting off to work shortly ... I'll get some bread on the go and later a brace of pheasants will be slow roasted ... I usually do a single pheasant in the crockpot but that won't be big enough for two so today I'm trying a slightly different method in a new lidded braising pan OH brought me from work. I bought a brace as I want lots of 'leftovers' to make some pheasant, black pudding and apple pasties to keep in the freezer for over Christmas and New Year.

Living in East Anglia, we tend to assume loud bangs are sonic booms ... we don't hear them that often but often enough not to be alarmed ... apparently the BBC have publicised the cause of last night's boom in case folk were anxious after the London Bridge incident.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 1st, 2019, 10:18 am

we used to get the double booms at a predictable time (around 6pm), every day, while concord was flying. it moved the double glazing in and out and we missed it when the flights stopped.

I've never noticed the earthquakes we've had down here although my partner and friends i've been with at the time have.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 1st, 2019, 10:59 am

Good morning everyone,
No sonic booms round here but you do get the odd boom from distress flares at sea which aways gives me a cold shiver.
Bright and clear here but still -3C, it's supposed to scrape to 0C early afternoon before dropping back down this evening. It's forecast to get a bit milder in the early hours.
"Balmoral chicken" (chicken stuffed with haggis) for dinner tonight and I've a big tub of boiling beef (very fatty short rib) defrosting to roast while the oven is on. It makes beautiful stock & I'll render the fat for dripping. The meat is fab in broth etc. but needs a very long cook to be tender.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, was anyone in North London/Beds/Herts woken just after 4 00am by the sonic boom? Years ago when my parents first lived in Torquay they occasionally heard the sonic boom of the French Concorde flying to Rio, it was reputed to come from the Bay of Biscay area.

It could apparently be heard in mine and neighbouring villages, but I never heard a thing .. not a surprise as didn't have my hearing aids in ;) :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop