[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2019, 9:48 am

Sounds like a good find Moira :tu:
I've found a bottle of Covonia cough mixture in the back of the cupboard ... another good find :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 7th, 2019, 10:44 am

Good morning everyone,
Covonia to the rescue hopefully suffs!
I didn't watch the debate either, I'm fed up with the lies, smoke and mirrors. My vote has been cast and posted so I'm sort of switching off from it until the 13th.
It's to be another wild one here today with gales from early afternoon. I'll finish my cuppa then take the rubbish to the bins and restock the logs before it gets too gusty.
My sister and nephew are coming for dinner tomorrow. On a scarily quick turnaround they are moving house on the 20th so chaos rules at their current house while they pack up, the least I can do is feed them as it's one less thing for them to think about. I've promised a pie (chicken & ham) and a hot pudding, I'm going to make an Eve's pudding for a change from my usual crumble as I want to have a play with my KitchenAid! I'll make the pie filling and apple mix today and get those out of the way.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2019, 10:55 am

A gardening friend in France has recommended this:

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons (hot) water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Place in a small jar and shake to combine. Keep at room temperature and shake again before using. 1 tbs per adult.

Jolly tasty! :chops: even if it doesn't cure me it's very good to drink :cocktail: :lol:

Apparently there's a bar in Toulouse that sells it (with fresh ginger and minus the cayenne) as a Cold Prevention Shot ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 7th, 2019, 11:25 am

That sounds as though it would help - with a splash of brandy added at bedtime perhaps? :cocktail:
liketocook
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 7th, 2019, 11:51 am

SE Asians seem to swear by root ginger in boiling water as a cure all, a sort of ginger tea.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2019, 12:09 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm

liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I was thinking of it as a Chaser :lol:
Last edited by suffolk on December 7th, 2019, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 7th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Afternoon all. Its about to rain, the sky has gone very dark, its more like five o'clock than 2 o'clock :rolleyes: Has anyone put the Christmas tree up yet? OH is watching football so I was tempted to go and retrive ours from the loft.... but I have resisted so far :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Keep on taking the medecine Suffs whatever it is!!

Scully, the only thing that kept us awake last night was counting the beakfast mentions. How any young person is expected to bcome politically engaged with the present lack of charisma, honesty and genuine passion for what thy stand is what is saddening me. I am really pleased that GD wants to read politics at university but I wish she had a few strong role models.

I have made the first batch of mince pies this morning. Got to make sure they are edible before Pere Noel arrives next weekend. This weekend it's the wine fair when not just local wines are on sale but Champagne and cognac among other wines from elsewhere.

It's a gorgeous day anyway and there have been noises about putting up the Christmas tree in the veranda ready to decorate tomorrow afternooon.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 7th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 7th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I had my first mince pie of the season yesterday, the pastry was a bit tough but I put it under the heading of "it's the thought that counts" On Wednesday I was given a couple of Walnut Melokromata cookies, they are always soaked in honey syrup so are v sweet.
Next door have turned on the Christmas lights around the front door, I think that they have followed the local practise of not actually removing lights after Christmas they just do not turn them on, ;) The local villages follow the same practise, except for Souni that does not seem to indulge in lights except up by the Village Office. What we do get are some dead trees sprayed silver then covered in tinsel

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 7th, 2019, 3:06 pm

scullion, sorry about your friends and their business. I’m very out of date now in matters of employment law, but thought the law had been changed to stop things like that. If they haven’t already done so, they could ring ACAS for a advice or see if their business insurance has free legal help.

I haven’t watched any of the interviews nor last night’s performance. Family can’t believe my lack of interest in current politics.

A reader wrote to yesterday’s Guardian, “….the broadcast media seem to be content with the notion that nation shall speak soundbite unto nation.” Paul Atkin. Wish I could think of neat statements like that.

Popped into our library this morning and read a good article by Matthew Parris.

Rest assured, politics at University is a far cry from the current example of party politics. As I’m sure you’re all aware, the word ‘politics’ means systems of government or how society organises itself.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Dennis i think Scully's friend was/is in France where employment law is quite different.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » December 7th, 2019, 4:48 pm

yes, they are - it's a bit of a nightmare and doesn't really encourage small business owners to take on an employee or two (if there's the chance that they'd have to pay out more than the business takes or is worth) which in turn leaves the owners overworked. not really a good system if you ask me.
scullion
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 7th, 2019, 7:45 pm

dennispc
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 7th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2019, 11:10 pm

If you had a cough like this one and Covonia would help it, you’d find a way to swallow it, I promise you. The relief it gives is bliss. :D

Night night all
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 8th, 2019, 7:51 am

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 8th, 2019, 8:11 am

Good morning wild ones. I had to get up and close the bedroom window at 4.30am, there was a sudden gust of wind that nearly ripped the window off its frame :o there was rubbish blowing down the road and the street lights were swaying back and too, then suddenly it stopped and it was deadly silent. Hopefully that's our storm done with for today.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2019, 8:23 am

Morning all! :wave:. Quite a nice looking day here at DDs in Sussex. I have been brought coffee in bed 8-).
We had a lovely afternoon shopping in Horsham yesterday and supper out and lots of chat later. Horsham is a place we only ever went through on the train when I was a child and I have vague recollections of driving through in the late 1950s. Very different now and great for shopping! Off for a walk by the sea later, then home.

You were all very chatty yesterday! Hope the lurgies are gradually going, its a shame that coughs stay round for so long (DD is coming down with something cold related, I am so hoping she doesn't pass it on!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2019, 8:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Flippin cough woke me ... Covonia sorted it out but it took a while to get back to sleep and then I had weird dreams.
EM do try to avoid catching whatever this is ... it’s not nice :rolleyes:
OH is at home today and had told me he’ll make a thai prawn curry for supper :D
I will write the Christmas cards while listening to the Archers.
It’s a bit windy here but I don’t think it’s going to be too bad over here ... hope those of you in the West have your hatches well battened.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 8th, 2019, 8:47 am

Good morning
It has rained overnight and more to come they say

Spent most of yesterday at a backgammon tournament and going again today. Enjoyed the backgammon and meeting old friends but it’s held in one of those London hotels where a cup of tea costs £5 which I’m not keen on. I won 2/4 yesterday, so I’m out of the main tournament but going back today to try my luck in the consolation

Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 8th, 2019, 9:53 am

Hospital visiting today, so that’s a three to four hour round trip for an hours visiting. I’m finding it very tiring but I feel that I need to go if that makes sense?

I must also sort the contents of my car out as I’m changing it tomorrow and remember to pick the spare key up from my parents house.

It’s a busy week coming up and I could really do with some quiet time, my New Years resolution is to try to build more down time into my schedule, I feel frazzled and consequently think I might be being a little bit over sensitive - I’m feeling under appreciated, probably me reading too much into things.

All I can see is a long list of ‘to do’ and not enough ticked off items! Gosh, I am feeling sorry for myself!

Last night we went to a new to us restaurant in York as recommended by PP - very good service and food. Topped off by vegan ice cream that was unbelievably delicious, then onto York Minster to listen to Handel’s Messiah - Christmas has begun.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 8th, 2019, 10:34 am

Good morning everyone,
Hatches have battened down here since yesterday afternoon, it's been pretty wild overnight and is still very blowy. It feels much colder this morning than it has been over the past few days. I'll pop out to check all is okay once I finish my :mug: , it's supposed to be very windy for the rest of the day before it dies down overnight.
I did a fair amount of the prep for tonight's dinner yesterday so not too much to do today, I'm looking forward to trying out the KitchenAid. A simple sponge mix should help me get a feel for it.
Once I get myself organised I need to make a start on my Christmas cards, I don't have that many to post but it always seems to take longer than I think it will.
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » December 8th, 2019, 11:40 am

scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 8th, 2019, 12:24 pm

BB, do accept a :hug: from me and don't go busting a gut. As Scully says, if it ain't important it can wait (or not be done at all).

Suffs, hope you're on the road to recovery soon :luv: .

EM- enjoy your seaside walk! :D

Blowing a hooley here and bands of showers passing through. Went for a run earlier and was caught in a hailstorm. Rather nice actually- at least it woke me up! :D

Have a happy Sunday all... :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 8th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Sorry about all those who are under the weather, OH has a horrible cold and hopes the original Benylin will do its job. We got some lemons today to try that with honey.

Following on from the posts about delivery drivers, there’s an article in today’s Observer about them.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 8th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave

Despite the gorgeous weather we have had a horribly frustrating day.

It began when we went to the wine fair and half the usual vi Apparently because ognerons were not there.f the the roads were impossible, So there was no cognac and no Alsace.

Back home, I put on the oven to roast a piece of beef and although there wasn't a power cut there wasn't any power or rather not enouth to roast anything or make YPs.They obviously were pedalling hard enough. It evetually sprang into action about noon so lunch was late but hopefully worth waiting for! I made Mr R a steamed syrup sponge to make up for the lack of cognac!

I hope the lurgies are retreating from whence they came,

Jean Paul has just called in with a whole branch of mistletoe. It grows like weeds on some of his fruit tree
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2019, 6:43 pm

:hug: BB. People tend to think its frivolous to schedule down time and sleep time into diaries and to say no sometimes. It's not, you are as important as everyone around you (and if you make yourself depressed or ill they would suffer more in the long run!). Hope the new year will be happier.

Was the mixer lovely to use ltc?

Rats - :hug:.

We had a lovely walk along the sea front but goodness, it was windy! We felt we had earned our lunch. I'm home now, managed to brave the M25 etc before they got too busy with end of weekend traffic. I have come home to a letter from a debt collection agency for money I have had no previous correspondence about and which I am 99% sure I don't owe. I shall have to spend part of the evening collating information to do battle with - sigh.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » December 8th, 2019, 7:29 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2019, 10:51 pm

I had a friend who didn't have a TV and he was hounded continually by the licence people, it must be difficult nowadays, if you have a computer or phone with access to iplayer etc., to prove you never use it. I have looked carefully at my paperwork and am now 99.9% sure I don't owe anything and have the bank statements to prove it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 8th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Have I mentioned the neighbour who was hounded for eight years after her mother died by TV licensing? Their behaviour is outrageous.

Are you sure that isn't a scam em? There have been a lot of TV licensing scams in the last 18 months or so, they were hacked,

https://www.alphr.com/security/1009897/ ... ata-breach

Arethey fit for the job?

You should find your details on the website.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2019, 1:07 am

Mine is nothing to do with TV licensing. I regularly get scam emails relating to that. This is something different and I feel confident I can resolve it. Fingers crossed.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 9th, 2019, 6:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, some rain plus thunder and lightning here but nothing serious.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 9th, 2019, 7:56 am

Good morning wild ones. We had a very stormy night here, torrential rain and very windy. It was blowing a right old hooly. We will see the damage if any when it comes light. But we have no water this morning again :twisted: :twisted: nobody is answering the 24 hour help line either :twisted: , thankfully I still have three 5Lt Bottles of water from last time :rolleyes: thank goodness I filled the kettle before I went to bed.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2019, 8:01 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Still coughing and sneezing here :rolleyes:
Ice ... is this you? https://www.unitedutilities.com/emergen ... incidents/
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 9th, 2019, 8:52 am

Good morning
I have lived here 20 years, for most of that time TV licensing have been hounding the little shop next door for their TV license. They do (obviously) have an address, but they are a tiny little lock up, more a kiosk than a real shop, and there has never been a TV there. You used to be able to complete a “statutory declaration”, a form that explains why this address doesn’t need a TV licence, but this was stopped a bit more than 20 years ago. You can phone them to give them the information and a nice lady enters the details on the database and enforcement completely ignore them.

I had an argument with a lawyer who sent a final demand and threatened bailiffs for a charge on my mother’s estate. I had not (as they finally admitted) been sent the invoicest, because “they can’t send them to an executor / administrator”. I pointed out repeatedly that if they could send me a final demand and potentially some bailiffs because I was liable for the charge the law couldn’t possibly prevent them from sending me the initial invoice. It became clear that the “solicitor” I was dealing with (actually a trainee legal assistant of some kind) no idea how probate worked. :rolleyes:

No big plans for today but plenty of “stuff“ to get on with. No rain so there will be a walk of some kind of walk.

Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2019, 9:09 am

Morning all! It's a lovely sunny day after yesterday's rain. I've got lots of bits and bobs to catch up with today - busy week ahead.

Hope your water's back soon icey. As Suffs says, you should be able to look at the water company's website once they start getting calls - you may also be able to sign up to get texts when there's a problem if they have your mobile number. Of course, the more important thing is to have filled the kettle before it all starts! Glad you can get a hot drink.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 9th, 2019, 10:01 am

There is snow on Troodos, not much and it will soon melt but it shows that Winter has come to Cyprus.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 9th, 2019, 10:38 am

Good morning everyone,
There's a welcome change in the weather here this morning, it's bright and sunny :D .
My KitchenAid passed it's test run with flying colours, it's much quieter than my Kenwood was though I suspect it had gradually got louder and louder.
The pie was demolished but I've quite a lot of Eve's pudding left, the recipe either made more than I remembered or our pudding eating capacity has waned over the years.
My nephew is popping round later for a hand with his UCAS application for next year and he'll no doubt have some while he's here. I've spare pie filling and pastry so I'll prep and pop a small one in the freezer for another time.
I never got round to starting the Christmas cards so they're on my "to do" for this morning and I'll ask my nephew to post them on his way home. I haven't bought any this year as seem to have loads in the cupboard but really should have checked there was enough before now. I've plenty of time to buy some if I'm short.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Hurrumph!!! Half our back fence and our small garden shed are in someone else's back garden! OH is out there trying to sort it out ... he won't let me go out to help ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 9th, 2019, 1:48 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm

I think he knows best Miss Mouse :tu: ... I'm not even feeling well enough to feel very frustrated at not being able to help. OH says the posts have snapped ... it'll be a while before we can get anyone to sort that out ... It's only about two and a half panels but that's enough :rolleyes:

OH has been round to the neighbour with a note saying we'll get it fixed asap but what with Christmas/New Year and waiting lists it'll probably take a while. He's a single chap and I don't think he has any pets, and neither do we thank goodness, so hopefully he won't see it as urgent.
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 9th, 2019, 2:15 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 9th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Hope water and sheds are back where they should be. It's another gorgeous day and the washing has gone outside.

However we have not had any internet or telephone since mid morning until just now. Very annoying because we are chasing what has happened to our proxy voting papers - dear cuz not having received anything. We were given the usual runaround by the civic hall who at first said we weren't on the electoral register and so it went onuntil I reminded the chief officer that when it all went pear-shaped they ended up looking very silly on Radio Newcastle.

Mr R has just come back from the post office having posted the last 2 parcels though if they'll get there with the strike is another matter.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » December 9th, 2019, 2:21 pm

smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Oh dear, all the lurgies, weather and politics are a bit depressing aren't they! The Kitchen Aid is quite cheering, also the prospect of a young person making their way in the world too.

DS said he'd come round and fix something which needs fixing today but probably later when I will be out - and he'd be bringing someone with him so I've just spent the past hour cleaning and tidying. Now he says he won't have time today :evil:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 9th, 2019, 3:14 pm

I have just been checking the Fortnum & Mason web site for Christmas hampers, no reason I was just browsing. They have a £6,000 hamper :o, one of their £500 collections is already sold out :rolleyes: The hamper contains among other items , a whole ham, a joint of beef and a game pie. I am convinced that anyone receiving that hamper probably would not need it. Or am I being judgemental?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2019, 3:18 pm

I believe there are some folk who order a a Fortnum & Mason hamper rather than push a trolley around Waitrose ... it'll have everything they need won't it ... ;)
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop