CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby earthmaiden » December 16th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Gosh, I don't think we've had hail! That looks quite spectacular!

The way to eat a Jaffa Cake (not in public of course) is to pick off the chocolate with your teeth, nibble the sponge and then to dissolve the remaining orange jelly disc on your tongue ;).

Been out to an appointment and quick trip to a packed :o Sainsburys this morning. Feel quite tired and lazy now. I have three difficult replies to write to include with cards to be sent to people with ill health. Out to a beige buffet tonight which I really ought to go to :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 16th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Just a flying visit to wish all poorly Wildies a swift recovery. :wave: :luv:

Was visiting friend for weekend who had gone down with the lurgy. Really hoping it passes me by.....lovely to see her however- she managed a day out in London on Saturday for Xmas Ballet (Matthew Bourne's Red Shoes, which we've seen before and which was fab... :D )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » December 16th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Good afternoon, I miss you guys but life has been kind of hectic.

Hope you are all well and looking forward to Christmas?

You will be pleased to hear I’ll be cooking in my Anglesey kitchen this year, yes, I have a kitchen at last, no floor down yet and I’m sick of the sight of white emulsion, painting was a nightmare.x
Attachments
87A65278-4046-4AC2-A728-D57CA9F5D970.jpeg
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 16th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Hurrah! Have a lovely Christmas Purps :hi5: :hug: That kitchen is looking very promising indeed :aww:

However, you'd better put a mask on .... we've all got some sort of internet lurgy ... we think NurseMimi gave it to us ... mine has lasted ten days so far and I'm still coughing .... however I'm definitely much improved today ... after ten days of languishing on the sofa surrounded by cough sweets and tissues, ... today I've changed the sheets, turned the mattress (well, I supervised that bit) descaled the kitchen, cleaned the hob and hood and fitted a new filter, swept and washed the floor, wrapped a parcel and made a celeriac remoulade ... think that probably means I'm well on the mend. Still a bit of an 'acking cawf but I feel like me and not something unpleasant on the sole of a shoe. :D Now I'm flolopped on the sofa with the knitting. It's cold roast chicken and salad for supper.

Hope others with lurgy are also on the mend :plink:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » December 16th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Don't pass on your lurgy my way, I have lots to do, I have a battle with TK Max & M&S to complete today.x
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm

OH did battle with M&S this morning ... he said it was grim earlier on ... he went elsewhere (see below *) and did some other shopping and then went back to M&S when, for some strange reason, the queues were shorter. However he said John Lewis was a haven of wonderful customer service :tu:

*Gruney will not be surprised to hear that OH sought sanctuary for a swift half in The Lamb and had a seasonal curmudgeonly few minutes with Henry the resident cat. :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 16th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Luckily Christmas is not so frantic here but wait until Easter :lol: then there will be long queues at the butchers :o, Although we have been discussing vegetables, obviously root vegetables and onions will keep, as will the citrus fruit, it is the other vegetables that will be problematical. I will not be buying Brussel Sprouts :sprout: as they are imported.
Fish Pie for supper, we always have HB egg in ours

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby nursemimi » December 16th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Mask on I hope my Lurgy has finally gone away it took forever to get rid of this cough.
Purple that kitchen is looking good hope you enjoy it .

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 16th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Good afternoon
Collected my father’s 1950s Anglepoise and OH’s French Chinoiserie table lamp which have been professionally rewired for a reasonable price.
Need to get a shade for the table lamp, might pop into John Lewis tomorrow

Picked up a parcel from Royal Mail, quite a queue at 3pm, though they are open 12 hours a day 7 days a week for Xmas.

Having a bit of a rest before I go out but I suppose I’d better make the bed as I stripped it earlier.

Have a good evening everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 16th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Lovely to see you Purps! How fab that your place is ready to use for Christmas! :xtree:

Sainsburys was bursting at the seams this morning - I only went in for one thing and was horrified.

I've dealt with the awkward Christmas letters and the debt collection agency with whom I am still battling. The latest email thanks me for my patience - it's wearing a bit thin now.

Don't overdo it Suffs!

I think there's time for a snooze and a Lem Sip before the beige buffet.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Hello Purps :wave: :luv:

Kitchen looking fab..... :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 16th, 2019, 6:30 pm

That looks lovely Purps.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 16th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Good evening everyone,
Lovely looking kitch Purps :luv:
A chocolate orange was must in my kids' stockings when they were small and even now grown up they still get one. My elder son isn't home this year and he had told his fiancee he would miss getting a chocolate orange from me. She told me and two have been posted to Cardiff and will go to Greece with them :lol: . When I first lived in York I lived down the road from the Terry's factory and in the run up to Christmas you could smell the chcolate oranges being made. It was quite sickly after a while but I can't say it put me off them!
It's been a cold & windy day here, I was out for lunch and the hotel is up a hill and very exposed. The wind would have sliced you when we got out of the car. The food and company were both excellent and we were there long enough to see the most beautiful sunset over Ailsa Craig out of one window and night rolling in behind a snow capped Arran from another - absolutely stunning views.
I'm still not feeling 100% with the lurgy so an early night beckons, I have a huge "to do "list for tomorrow as apart from getting myself presentable and going out not much has been done.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 17th, 2019, 6:25 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, ever since my teens I have found the mass buying of food for Christmas fascinating. I know that people buy extra items as a Treat, my Mother used to stockpile double cream but the actual number in the population does not increase. If I was eating in Devon I was not eating in N London.
How much will go to waste?

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 17th, 2019, 6:31 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
We don’t waste any food in this house ... my hips bear witness to that :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 17th, 2019, 7:45 am

Good morning wild ones. We have fog and ice this morning :o definitely a staying in day, the beasts are hugging the radiator :rolleyes: There isn't food wastage here either, if there is anything left the beasts have it in their tea. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » December 17th, 2019, 8:03 am

a man behind me at the till, last week, commented that i'd been christmas shopping. i pointed out that i hadn't it, was a normal shop - he had no fruit or veg in his basket. ours was the usual, laden, state.
ours doesn't go to waste either - but then i don't overbuy.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 17th, 2019, 9:11 am

PurpleLuv wrote:You will be pleased to hear I’ll be cooking in my Anglesey kitchen this year, yes, I have a kitchen at last, no floor down yet and I’m sick of the sight of white emulsion, painting was a nightmare.x

Room for all of us then Purps ;) :chef:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 17th, 2019, 9:27 am

Good news on the doggy front, no tumour in his liver but a problem with his bile duct, which should be able to resolved with medication.

No problem in getting medication into Archie, he will eat anything. I was quite amused when reading the patient information leaflet that came with the medication to see that it was actually for humans and used for treating gallstones. Thank goodness for insurance, this episode is a little shy of £1000 and still not fully resolved. More blood tests etc in January to see if medication is working.

I feel tonnes better today, we are due a planned power cut shortly so had an incentive to be up showered etc promptly. I actually feel like eating something too, first real meal will be had since Wednesday night. Surely I’ve lost weight?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 17th, 2019, 9:50 am

Back from Lidl, nothing much in the special offers unless you like pizza or sucking pig. I wanted to stock up on nuts but almost all their nuts are salted, I eventually found some plain almonds but had to give up on pistachios.
BB, at least you know that Archie's new drug has been tested on humans

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 17th, 2019, 9:57 am

Morning all! :wave:.

The scene you describe sounds really beautiful LTC. Glad the lurgy's going.

I sort of understand Christmas stockpiling. Time was when shops closed right over Christmas and it was quite unusual to go shopping much between Christmas and New Year. As a child, we didn't have hugely lavish Christmasses, we were back to normal food with only a few chocs, the cake and a bit of booze left to enjoy after a couple of days (my parents famously refused to buy nuts because no-one ate them and my grandmother was most upset 'because they look nice on the table') but my experiences since have been an eye opener. MIL served gargantuan meals and there were usually about 8 round the table over several days. She would never have wasted food but treats such as numerous boxes of sweets and chocolates were displayed on a special table and offered round, some lasting as a treat well into the new year, as if course did the Christmas cake. The turkey was served as a roast dinner with sausages to eke it out most days until New Years day (all purchased before Christmas). Other friends put out a huge buffet on Boxing Day - and I mean huge - which would come out each day until most perishables had been eaten. A lot of people have extended family with 20 or so people on Christmas Day. Along with treats that's a lot of food! Even my trolley looks full at Christmas - but I am old school and still think I won't go shopping again until January (and probably won't!). I usually stock up on things like cleaning materials and toilet rolls as well 'just in case' and then there are things like butter, lard, cream, flour which I don't normally buy much of in case I want to bake anything... :lol:. I 'do' Boxing Day, otherwise it would be much less. Sadly, I think a lot of people do throw food away at Christmas. I used to know of someone who threw the bird away complete with pickings and bones after one meal had been had from it :o.

Damp day, the beige buffet last night was very beige. Meeting GD from school today after their Christmas party. Keeping going well with a couple of Lem Sips a day so hoping it won't get worse. Feel rather lethargic but need to do the final bits for Christmas. A few bits for a stocking for DD are proving hardest. We only do the stocking so I want it to be nice but without cr*p :rolleyes:.

Good news re both you and Archie BB!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 17th, 2019, 10:09 am

Great news about Archie BB. And glad you are on the mend.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 17th, 2019, 11:10 am

I was checking the Cyprus weather forecast for next week, it is not looking good . We, of course, will be OK but I do feel sorry for visitors, they will start coming on Saturday. It will be alright if they are staying in one of the large hotels but anyone self catering is in for a dreary time.

Has anyone got a book of children's' names, specifically girls names starting with a Y?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 17th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Good morning everyone,
Yasmin, Yvonne, Yvette and Yolanda spring to mind Moira :) .
My shopping does increase hugely at this time of year as I tend to have extended household for a few days before Christmas until after New Year. There's no waste though as I'm careful not to overbuy any perishable items that don't store well and any surplus is enjoyed during January and February when I spend very little on groceries. The odd lurking treat is also nice during the cold dark months. I do also take advantage of any offers or things that only seem to appear at this time of year if it's stuff I know I'll use in coming months. While it seems like huge spend at the time the cost per head/portion works out very reasonably overall.
Late last night I got a message from one of my friends who had been with for lunch. When she got in her elderly pooch was desperate to get let out in the garden. She's not sure how she managed it but on her way to let him out she caught her heel, fell and shattered her wrist in several places. :( Thankfully her hubby arrived home a few minutes later and A&E sorted her out. She's back to the hospital today for more x-rays but they don't think she'll need an op, if she does they'll keep do it either later today or tomorrow. Not the best end to what had been a lovely afternoon.
It's still bitterly cold here, I had to pop into to town and although I was well wrapped up my face was numb by the time I got home. I'm glad I didn't have to be out in it for too long. The trip knocked a few things off today's "to do" so hopefully by this evening I feel I'm more organised. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 17th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Yrsa is a name I've noticed - an actor in something recently and a Scandi-noir author.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 17th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Yuliana - for Yule!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 17th, 2019, 2:32 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Yuliana - for Yule!
Like it :hi5:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 17th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Yep! I like it too!
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby nursemimi » December 17th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Good morning. It’s a lovely day cool but sunny and not windy!

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 17th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I’m back from the city ... hair cut and bits and bobs bought ... very tired ... on the sofa ...I’m not used to all this exertion :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I rather like ygraine or ysault (ysolde) - but then I would, wouldn’t I?
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 17th, 2019, 11:52 pm

Today we had lunch with friends at the Phoenix Palace near Baker St station. Lots of DimSum. Delicious! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » December 18th, 2019, 6:25 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, just had a text confirming a 9 15 appointment, I thought that it was tomorrow :o
Did anyone see Masterchef, Professionals yesterday evening, in the opening sequence there was a red Vespa parked outside Brown's hotel, was this reference to Masterchef Australia? If you do not watch MC Australia there is always a red Vespa parked outside the building.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 18th, 2019, 7:54 am

Good morning wild ones. Everywhere is frozen this morning. It is freezing cold. I have my thermal vest on under my jumper :o also my leggings and socks. :D just checked the thermometer it is -4C at the moment :o :o :o
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 18th, 2019, 8:12 am

Morning all! :wave:. Getting in quick before there's baby talk ;).

Dim Sum sounds lovely, Aero :hungry:.

Didn't notice the Vespa, I tend to watch on catch up and wind through the introduction. I'm not sure I can bear to watch the rest of Masterchef, it will be so sad for anyone who has to leave now. I have my secret list of the order they'll go in (but we mustn't spoil it!!).

It's quite mild here this morning, usual dampness and a nasty wet weather warning for tonight. I'm off to see Downton Abbey at the Oldies Cinema, I shall walk there to justify lolling round watching films before lunchtime. I didn't watch any of the TV series so it will all be new to me. They filmed a lot of the series in various places not too far from here, probably not the film though. I shall see! Getting the bus to a nearby small town afterwards in the hope I can wind up the most awkward Christmas present shopping - I have told myself I must stay there until it's done so may be sometime .... :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 18th, 2019, 8:14 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

3C here and not raining ... however we have rain forecast for the next ten days.
I’m still a bit chesty so I won’t go to tennis today ... I have some food shopping to do and I have a birthday cake to make for someone tomorrow ;)

I watched Masterchef but missed the first five minutes ... what a remarkable set of finalists they are ... all worthy of wining ... I feel they should “do a Turner Prize” and award it to the lot of them.

I’ve a feeling that Birmingham chef (forgotten his name) might be offering Stuart a job ... but I think he’ll be able to take his pick ... they all will ... and I think I’m falling for Jan ... what a lovely man ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 18th, 2019, 9:58 am

Anyone heard from Rats? I’m now officially concerned, what with her post about cellulitis and then radio silence.

Hope all is well.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 18th, 2019, 10:02 am

Hello again, we are thawing out nicely now, the beasts have gone for their walk so I am having a quiet few minutes. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 18th, 2019, 10:45 am

Busybee wrote:Anyone heard from Rats? I’m now officially concerned, what with her post about cellulitis and then radio silence.

Hope all is well.

BB

Me too :shock: :( :?:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 18th, 2019, 11:19 am

And me. Hope she's not been admitted to hospital :?

Cold and frosty here- quite a slippery run this morning. The fells are covered with snow and look wonderful.... :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 18th, 2019, 11:39 am

I too hope Rats is OK. Maybe her internet is down?

Just been to Waitrose for coffee with a very old friend from Mother and Toddler Group days. Our conversation seemed to centre around who'd been to the most funerals this year. It was a bit depressing! The cake was good though.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » December 18th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Hope Rats is ok :hug:

Sue, “Need to get a shade for the table lamp, might pop into John Lewis tomorrow”, I nipped into The Range yesterday and was surprised by the vast shade/lighting dept.

Welcome next year Patsy 8-)

So glad Archie is ok BB :luv: Strange we named our pup “Bea” but it has turned into “Bea Bea” BB, a mouth full when saying Hey, Bea, see.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » December 18th, 2019, 2:47 pm

This morning did not turn out as planned, nothing disastrous just different.
The Angel Choir has been installed, the Christmas tree plantation is in place, we seem to have started a reindeer herd. All the lights seem to be working. What can go wrong ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 18th, 2019, 3:43 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:Welcome next year Patsy
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » December 18th, 2019, 3:56 pm

and there was me thinking that there would be a new baby by the time i got home this afternoon. where have you all been‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 18th, 2019, 3:57 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:Sue, “Need to get a shade for the table lamp, might pop into John Lewis tomorrow”, I nipped into The Range yesterday and was surprised by the vast shade/lighting dept.

I got the perfect thing in JL :tu: it looks rtather handsome, it's an actual silk shade, so suits an antique lamp and wasn't expensive, you never know with lighting, I have two beautiful bedside lamps bought as a pair from Homebase for a fraction of the price of the ones I first saw in JL, and I think even nicer.
The Range and Dunelm are on the outskirts of London so a bit of a trek from here without a car, shame, as I could so with a couple of good inexpensive cushion pads, as my new blind came with 2 matching cushion covers thrown in, and they are quite nice. Might look around
Have a good evening everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 18th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Shopping ................ for two birthday boys 'parties' and some Christmas stuff ............ the W'rose lady on checkout gave me a free bag for life saying that 'anyone who spends that much should be entitled to a free bag' :shock: :rolleyes: :lol:
Everything is packed away, a sandwich has been eaten and I have collapsed on the sofa ....... shopping two days running after ten days of enforced inactivity is exhausting.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 18th, 2019, 4:15 pm

we'll, i have to go out again in an hour - sickness means there isn't anyone else to drive the minibus for the club. i couldn't really pull a sickie too as i i was at the farm already.
it's blowing a little bit of a hooley (a hoo?) and raining. i am not looking forward to it.
i need to change into dry clothes and dry my hair (i've just been out to try to stabilise a window).
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » December 18th, 2019, 4:27 pm

come on, there's only three (well, two now )posts to go - if someone else doesn't step up, i'll sit here and talk to myself!
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » December 18th, 2019, 4:31 pm

you had your chance! i'm going for it!
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop