CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 15th, 2019, 8:07 am

earthmaiden wrote:No rain here, wall to wall sunshine forecast too. I recorded the Proms as I was busy with my decluttering last night. It is going extraordinarily well.

And when you have finished ……. can you pop along and inspire me ;) :tu: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2019, 8:44 am

A large storm is brewing here, we already have rain and that lovely wet dust smell. I must move the cushions under cover.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 15th, 2019, 8:51 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:And when you have finished ……. can you pop along and inspire me ;) :tu: :lol:

:lol: the time has to be right! Because DS took so much from the trunk it was the ideal time to go through loads of stuff with which I find I no longer have any emotional attachment. The time wasn't right before. I have cleared so much space and a load of baby equipment I had for GD is off to a friend's this morning fir her grandchildren. I wasn't planning on decluttering this week at all but it's been good- and is ongoing!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 15th, 2019, 9:01 am

Morning all, from my new tablet! Setting something so technical up on a Sunday morning should not have happened, but it did! I have to name it. Another easy one. 'Teddy' tablet in honour of my littlest nephew (he'll like that) and all the childhood teddies, pandas and humpties we have been discussing here.

Now time for sustenance! :lol: A lovely sunny day. A few jobs to do indoors and chill out with my new toy I think. :P

Have a lovely day all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 15th, 2019, 9:13 am

I always find that this is the best way to de clutter EM. If I plan it I resent doing it and act like a petulant teenager and it takes so much longer, but if I strike while the mood takes me I get lots more done.

Having a general cleaning day today, yesterday we hosted my nieces 18th birthday hog roast which was :hungry: :hungry:

It’s taken quite a bit of setting up and now clearing away, amazingly all the young folk seem to disappeared now there is work to do!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2019, 9:15 am

EM, between now and Thursday I will be wearing my scruffs ... I will visit W’rose in disguise 8-) if at all, and will run and hide if the doorbell rings :oops: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2019, 9:15 am

Morning Everyone :wave:

It's a lovely day here and even nicer because we are off to have lunch at Mannu's to try the autumn menu. Not that it seems in the least bit autumnal with reaching 30C again yesterday,

Horrible news from the Bahamas again. Another storm is the last thing those poor people need.

We didn't watch the proms last night. The last Night is the only one we don't watch - all too jingoistic for us. We rewatched Mr Turner instead.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2019, 9:33 am

Rats :D The first half of the programme wasn’t at all jingoistic https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ezcd2m
That stuff doesn’t start until the second half (which is when it’s switched over from BBC 2 to BBC1
... never understood why they do that). I don’t care for Rule Britannia ... but I adore the Fantasia on British Sea Songs ... I love the words and melody of Tom Bowling ... and I think you’d have been heartened by the sight of the huge number of EU flags being worn and waved by the Promenaders.
Last edited by suffolk on September 15th, 2019, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 15th, 2019, 9:57 am

Ratatouille wrote:The last Night is the only one we don't watch - all too jingoistic for us

We watched the first half then I watched it until the Sea Songs then went to bed. It is getting political plus I hate all those middle aged men in the front row of the prommers behaving as if they were teenagers.

We had a very noisy storm with squalls of rain, the temperature dropped to 24 C, it was 30 C when I went for the papers, it is still thundering. I have offered to make soup for lunch but Deb has declined my offer.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » September 15th, 2019, 10:42 am

aero280 wrote:For my Guardian reading friends. Did you do the Cryptic Crossword yesterday? The result is interesting! :D

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/cryptic/27924

If you don't do crosswords, click on "Reveal All", then "Confirm Reveal All"...

finally got round to doing it - nice one!
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2019, 1:57 pm

WE do have the first half of last night's prom recorded, but we wanted a clear run to watch a ilfm before I fell asleep as i usually do by 10,30 !

Just back from a fabulous lunch at mannu's which was in danger of being ruined for us and the rest of the completely full restaurant by a couple with an unconrollable toddler who was in total charge of her parents. She sreamed blue murder if she was picked up, wouldn't sit in her chair and kept escaping while yelling in delight as one or other parent chased her round the restaurant and out into the street. They were eventuallly asked to leave and not charged for what they had managed to gulp down in the 45 minutes they were there. This just isn't a restaurant for children, espeically those who can't behave. I tremble to think how things are going to turn out. I felt very sorry for the staff but I am sure they did the right thing. It wasn't as if this couple were desperate to find somewhere to eat because it had been fully booked for over a week, so they must have researched it.

That said, the meal was fabulous, inventive, unexpected and so very right for the time of year.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 15th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Jingoistic or not this was special.

https://youtu.be/sDtyJyidhlc

And this was divine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nd5p5
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 15th, 2019, 4:00 pm

I completely agree she has a fabulous voice. I would love to hear her under another circumstance when I could really appreciate it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 15th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Ah! You know that you are in Germany.

We are in a holiday resort in the summer holiday. The town is full of visitors. The tourist office is closed over the weekend. It opens on Monday when the weekend visitors have gone. :rolleyes:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » September 15th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I got to STROKE a hedgehog yesterday! It's like stroking a VERY stiff brush :lol: The little fella was 'helping' to raise funds for a charity that cares for and tries to rehabilitate hedgehogs. but this one could never return to the wild, as he was deaf and blind, poor thing.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 16th, 2019, 5:05 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
aero280 wrote:We are in a holiday resort in the summer holiday. The town is full of visitors. The tourist office is closed over the weekend. It opens on Monday when the weekend visitors have gone.
That sounds more like Cyprus, add opening at 7 30 and closing at 3 00 pm.
Yesterdays rain was island wide, there were the usual floods due to blocked drains.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 16th, 2019, 6:48 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Mild but grey and damp here ... think I need to fill the car with fuel before we head for the west country ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 6:50 am

Morning all! :wave:
Have to say I secretly admire France for treating dining seriously and Germany for keeping Sunday special even if it does inconvenience people :).

The hedgehog sounds well cared for Grasshopper.

Feel better that you'll be in scruffs
all week Suffs!

Had wonderful day with a school friend yesterday going back to the place we were at boarding school. The building has an interesting history and was open for a Heritage Day. We did a formal guided tour even though we had heard it all before and they kindly took the two of us round some extra places when we asked if we could have a peep. We
walked round the grounds freely. It was nice going together, between the two of us we remembered almost every silly little thing of those years, a lovely day.

This morning I have agreed to meet a friend for early coffee in Waitrose. Must be mad, I am hardly awake. Better get dressed ..... :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 16th, 2019, 6:59 am

Good morning wild ones. It's damp here too. EM sounds like a lovely walk down memory lane for you both. :hi5: Today I have yet another washing mountain to do :rolleyes: which means an ironing mountain to follow :rolleyes: never mind once its done its done.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » September 16th, 2019, 8:06 am

Morning all :hug:

I have lost 2lb due to my exercise regime. It is hissing down here so is putting the mokkers on going out on my bike as I don’t want to get wet. I may go swimming instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 16th, 2019, 8:51 am

Morning everyone :wave:
No sign of Autumn yet. The first load of washing is almost dry already . The second load is ready to hang out.

We are expecting the first load of logs tomorrow. At the moment it feels completely mad to be slaving over wood stacking when it is hovering around 30C

It sounds as if you and your friend had a lovely day yesterday em. Is it still a school? It is indeed lovely to live in a country where Sundays are still considered to be special, only small shops are open and lunch is very very important, be it in a restaurant or with family or friends.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 12:29 pm

The friend and I nattered over several coffees in Waitrose until nearly lunchtime! Not a very productive morning but the world has been put to rights.

jrc - I am very impressed, you must be really pleased with yourself.

Yes Rats, is now a co-ed school from nursery to 6th form with no boarders and all sorts of new annexes etc.

I discovered when I washed the blasted Panda and removed the stuffing that she was originally home made and stuffed mostly with old garments and rags. My washing line is adorned with said rags and the rest are draped around the house. I think it's about to rain. I have people coming tomorrow evening :evil:. I might finish off the bits in a pillow case in the tumble dryer. Really looking forward to the creature leaving my house now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 17th, 2019, 5:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, did nothing happen here yesterday afternoon and evening ?

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 17th, 2019, 6:37 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I think we must all have been very busy yesterday Moira :lol:

We have a trip out this morning and this afternoon we’ll prepare the garden to be left for a week ... don’t want to leave too much to do for our kind NDN who will be feeding ‘our’ hedgehogs. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 17th, 2019, 6:54 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out again :bounce: Today is steam clean the kitchen floor, it's covered in dirty dog feet marks :rolleyes: then I am doing a Suffs and hovering (she is a good teacher) :lol: hoovering upstairs, :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » September 17th, 2019, 7:06 am

Having a smart meter fitted today. :?

Chicken casserole tonight. :drool:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 7:40 am

Morning all! :wave: I was onwards and upwards with the decluttering yesterday and had a meeting in the evening.

Hope the meter fit goes smoothly jrc.

It's a lovely fine morning and the forecast suggests it might stay like it. My ladies group is meeting here tonight. I am meeting GD from school and staying at her house until after bath time when her ma gets home. I will have to do a mad dash to get home before my guests arrive and must leave everything clean and tidy with all the Panda stuffing put away, cups on the tray, biscuits at the ready and extra chairs out before I leave for the school :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 17th, 2019, 8:23 am

Back from Lidl, I met one our Pissouri friends coming out of the shop, she had come from the Immigration Dept. P is a very organized lady, ex police, so had no trouble there as she had all the correct paperwork.
A mysterious warning light appeared on car dash board, I had to get the instruction book out, it is something to do with tyre pressure. The elderly gent in Episcopi filling station is very keen on checking tyre pressures so I will let him do that, any problems and I can drive 100 metres down the road to Jimmy's tyre shop.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 17th, 2019, 8:26 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It was so warm last night the fan had to go on. It's going to be hot again today and a load of logs is due. I should say was due first thing. Provencal time is not known for it's accuracy.

I have a load of ironing to do but am putting it off which is stupid because the longer I leave it the hotter it will be.

Keep up the good decluttering work em.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » September 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

It is a sunny breezy day here in Yorkshire. I think I will put some washing on whilst I decide what to do with myself today apart from the condolence card I need to do.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2019, 9:58 am

Good morning

It’s a lovely sunny day here in London. I need to get going soon but quite tired after travelling and then playing backgammon yesterday

Had a great trip to Scarborough, back to reality now
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 17th, 2019, 10:07 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm back after a very lovely few days in Fife. Lots of laughs, plenty of fresh air and fantastic food. On Saturday we had a lazy brunch of bagels, eggs, bacon, avocado and various pates and that night the kids cooked up a seafood banquet of oysters (raw & grilled with garlic butter & breadcrumbs), homemade lobster bisque, prawns & langoustines, lobster, scallops, moules marinere, homemade aioli, patas bravas, Arbroath smokies, hot smoked salmon, crispy kale and salad. It was an absolute joy to eat and my sis and I got to sit back with a glass of wine and "supervise". As you can imagine we were all stuffed afterwards so it was a laze in front of a DVD and the kids demolished a tub of chocolates. Just as well that in the afternoon we had a wander round Elie beach & harbour to work up an appetite. My word the wind off of the North Sea was cold. On Sunday we had a wander round St.Andrews (lovely but baltic & busy), shared chips with salt & sauce for lunch before heading out last night to the local pub for dinner. The pub was lovely & friendly with great service but quite pricey for what we had, most of the food was excellent but there were a couple of mediocre dishes. Not bad and perfectly edible but just not completely hitting the mark. Though in fairness we set a pretty high bar cooking wise and it wouldn't put us off going back. I picked well with cullen skink followed by cod & smoked cod fishcake on creamed leeks all of which were lovely.
Photos below of some of the food the kids made (I managed to forget to photograph the prawns), my nephew has a part time job in a fish restaurant so is a dab hand at shucking oysters and prepping lobster. :D
70178596_501817090616930_1039080346999586816_n.jpg
Lobster bisque

70114773_520450098764982_5098200517645959168_n.jpg
Lobster

70384689_1376834129154578_8879438554803994624_n.jpg

71184359_240933146798137_1464914590482563072_n.jpg

71391623_817719258624620_890641187713581056_n.jpg

Needless to say it will be plain eating for me for a few days. It's dry and sunnyish this morning so I'll potter about the garden there are lots of brambles and tomatoes needing picked.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 10:10 am

That’s my idea of heaven ltc! 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 17th, 2019, 10:11 am

Pepper Pig wrote:That’s my idea of heaven ltc! 8-)

MIne too - especially when I could just sit back and enjoy :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 17th, 2019, 10:17 am

A few more photos ;)
70197493_509148072985721_36277166387757056_n.jpg

71101030_2490432294352400_1870032132227727360_n.jpg

70339519_2430139243937424_8286592008345092096_n.jpg
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » September 17th, 2019, 10:21 am

Meter man was due between 2 and 6. :D

He arrived half an hour ago. :rolleyes:

He has just said for various reasons he can’t do it. :(
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 17th, 2019, 10:43 am

jrc wrote:Meter man was due between 2 and 6. :D

Did he name the reasons jrc ? I have tried for some time now to get a smart metre fitted only because my electric metre is so hard to get to … I have applied a couple of times, but I get no further … :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 11:29 am

Goodness ltc - that looks absolutely wonderful - and home cooked too! :chops: :chops:

jrc - I had to bite my virtual tongue when you said you were having the meter fitted this morning. I wonder if anyone has ever had one fitted without some kind of hitch! There's no way they're coming back here until the meters became mandatory :evil:.

Glad you had a good weekend Sue.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 17th, 2019, 11:46 am

Wow LTC that food looks scrumptious :chops: :chops: We have a smart electric meter, to be honest we rarely look at the little display, in fact its a nuisance, its tucked away behind a plant :rolleyes: The sun is out, the dog beds are all washed and dried, floors steam cleaned everywhere hoovered and dusted and lunch eaten. Tonight we are having Jamie Olivers veggie allotment pie ( like all veg shepherds pie without meat)
icelesley
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 12:03 pm

That’s what they do. We had 5 visits before ours was done. Suffs has a story too.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 17th, 2019, 12:12 pm

So no surprise about the smart meter jrc. Just as there was no surprise when Jean -Baptiste failed to turn up with the logs. He said he had tomorrow down for our delivery :rolleyes: if he does turn up tomorrow it will at least be in the correct week :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 17th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:

That’s what they do. We had 5 visits before ours was done. Suffs has a story too.

Yep ... we do ... and two lots of compensation. :twisted:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 17th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Splendid pictures, ltc and an amazing menu :drool:
Smart meters have yet to appear in Cyprus :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 17th, 2019, 2:56 pm

jrc- hope you get compensation and that saga doesn't equal Suffs. :)

LTC- glad you had a lovely time. That food looks totally :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :chops: :chops: :chops: :D

Flying visit as we're getting packed and sorted for traveling to Salzburg for my dear friend's wedding. Just hope my bridesmaid dress doesn't crease too badly.... catch you on the flip side! :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 17th, 2019, 6:47 pm

We have just arrived in Lyon, after a drive over from Bodensee. Yesterday in Konstanz we found a chocolate shop. :D

Here's a picture for those who like chocolate with nuts and fruit added. We decided that discretion was the better part of valour - and then found the nougat shop around the corner... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IMG_2641.JPG
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby jrc » September 17th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I thought I had posted before. This was our second visit. The first one a year or so ago and they said the area to fit it was too small and we would have to wait for a smaller model that would most definitely fit. :D

Today, the bloke couldn’t fit it because it was too big. :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 17th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Hello All, we are on our holibags.

Last Wed we got up at 0240, caught the 0345 bus to the airport (10 mins) and boarded the 0600 flight to Murcia.
We stayed with friends who live near us and have a house near there.
We endured the mother of all storms. I have seen similar thunder, lightning and torrential rain before but not for 16 hours. Crops were destroyed, houses and businesses flooded and people died. They drowned because they were trapped in their vehicle in a motorway tunnel we drove through the day before.

On Saturday we hopped over to Mallorca, staying with more friends who live in the village.
28 Deg every day, clear blue skies and sunshine.
What a contrast.

Today we had the meal of the holiday.
We encountered a restaurant on the road from Valdemossa to Palma, we were all hungry so we dropped in.
Simple sea bass with vegetables and sauté potatoes with a delicious dressing.
3 of the 4 of us loved it, the 4th person enjoyed it but didn't rave about it.

Don't really want to go home tomorrow.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 17th, 2019, 8:22 pm

No problems with fitting my smart meter, first time round, but I did have to reset the display unit when it started showing the gas and electricity readings the wrong way round. I only realised once I'd turned the heating off for the summer, and it showed I was using a lot of gas but no electricity instead of the other way round.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » September 17th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Goodness WW what an experience... thank goodness you’re ok ... we’ve heard about the tragic effects of the storms. ... so scary and so sad. Glad you’ve been able to have a good holiday ... we’re nearly packed and will be heading for Cornwall on a Thursday morning 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » September 17th, 2019, 11:56 pm

Aero, that’s where we were in June, but on the east coast. It was fantastic. One of our favourite hotels, one of our favourite places. We spent most of our time on the ferries zooming across the lake, trying to keep cool in the heatwave. What did you think of Konstanz? We thought it was ok, but nowhere near as nice as Meersburg. It’s bringing back lots of happy memories. :D :D
Amber
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop