CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby cyprusmoira » September 18th, 2019, 5:21 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, aero: photos like that should be illegal :o
WW, that was a horrendous storm, makes our two hour storms look insignificant.
We have got to the time of year that when you go outside in the evening there is a marvellous smell of pine and other vegetation

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 6:12 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Another lovely sunny morning ... this time tomorrow we’ll be well on our way heading southwestwards ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 18th, 2019, 6:58 am

Good morning wild ones b. Looks like a nice day again today here too. Are you going away Suffs ;) in case I miss you before you Leave have a lovely time :hi5: today is hairdressers, grey roots need sorting again :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 18th, 2019, 7:17 am

We stayed in Stetten, just along from Meersburg. The first evening we had a stroll locally. Then we had a day split between the Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen and Meersburg. It was the weekend and Meersburg was jam packed. Monday in Konstanz was more pleasant. But there were a lot of similar touristy shops.

We were amused on the south side. There’s the Swiss border. It’s a chain across the road with signs threatening various sanctions. The locals ignored all this and just wandered through. The main road next along had the full fat border post! :)

Konstanz was handy for our hotel. Bus stop outside direct to the centre of Konstanz, including staying on the bus while it crossed on the ferry.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » September 18th, 2019, 7:32 am

Morning all! :wave:. The sun is so bright it is reflecting off a window over the road straight into my eye - I may have to close the curtain or move :rolleyes:.

jrc- I shouldn't laugh but that was a classic re the meter. There is a thread somewhere with all our stories, yours should be added!

WW - how awful. Rather sobering for an otherwise nice holiday.

I do like chocolate which contains fruit and nuts and thought that that in the photo looked particularly fine.

A few free days now to finish my big declutter. I dropped a few things off at a charity shop yesterday :bounce: . I have done something to a calf muscle and am hobbling. I must read up the best way to nurture it.

The dustmen have arrived, we leave sacks out for landfill waste. One man drives the lorry and a blond Adonis runs along collecting the sacks all by himself, he certainly keeps fit that way and is a pleasure to watch ;).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 18th, 2019, 9:02 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The storms in Murcia and other parts was high on French news. Very scary indeed , A drop of the wet stuff would be most welcome here . As long as it is in moderate quantities.

The logs have arrived and Mr R is out there stacking , helped by some of the local kids who are not at school as it is Wednesday. I have just overheard them asking for help with their English homework - fair dos!

DS is still off work. He has been really poorly with a, as yet unidentified, virus. The only thing they can say so far as it's nothing sinister.

Where are you staying in Lyon Aero? Mr R lived there for a couple of years and we know it well. It's easy and cheap for us to pop of there on the train and there are some fabulous places to eat.

Is Suffs going somewhere soon??????
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 9:26 am

:oops: :lol: 8-)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 18th, 2019, 9:43 am

Good morning everyone,
What an experience WW, glad you were able to head away from the area.
Chocolate and nougat aero, can I some of each please :drool:
Happy hols suffs, don't do as my sis did last weekend and forget to pack knickers :o , nothing a wash in the sink and popped in beside the hot water tank couldn't sort though....
Thanks for all the lovely comments re the food photos, we were spoiled by the quality of the ingredients , for a fishing nation it can be surprisingly hard to find decent fish & seafood.
Dull and chilly here today, it's supposed to stay dry but it certainly doesn't look like that just now. I'm currently enjoying a :mug: while waiting for a grocery order to arrive then I'll do a bit outdoors. Yesterday I picked a huge mixing bowl of ripe tomatoes so need to get them processed for the freezer later. It's been a great crop this year and there are still loads in the greenhouse.
liketocook
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 18th, 2019, 9:46 am

We are staying in a small hotel in St Genis de Ollieres. We bought a Lyon card before we left, so we are doing everything on public transport. It’s a good job OH can speak French. The bus broke down on the way in and everyone got off and started running down the street to another number bus for no apparent reason. I suspected that the bus was going to fail a good while before it did. The sound and smell were ominous signs!

Not seen much news here. The TV in the hotel was showing the Lyon v Zenit football! It looks like this area could do with some rain. The stream bed in the valley of the hotel is dry. Climate change is causing some very odd weather.

I’m sitting in the cool of the old cathedral trying to understand what has caused the main pillars to move out of alignment! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Busybee » September 18th, 2019, 9:49 am

If I don’t catch you later, have a great holiday Suffs. :wave:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » September 18th, 2019, 9:50 am

Good morning all :hug:

It's looking like another beautiful day :D

The dogs were very determined to get me up before my alarm clock this morning! :lol: they are currently fast asleep.

I will walk them shortly and then do a bit of crafting. I need to do some revision on song lyrics for choir as we are performing this weekend so I will pop home for a bit. :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 10:29 am

LTC ... I've bought a whole load of new ones ... it was time :lol:

And I'm dead chuffed :bounce: ... just booked good tickets for Britten’s Curlew River with Andrew Bostridge and the Britten Sinfonia here at St Andrews Hall at the end of March ... so glad I opened that envelope this morning. She said the tickets are selling quickly and it’s one of my favorite pieces and with Bostridge too :kneel:
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 18th, 2019, 10:33 am

suffolk wrote:LTC ... I've bought a whole load of new ones ... it was time :lol:

And I'm dead chuffed :bounce: ... just booked good tickets for Britten’s Curlew River with Andrew Bostridge and the Britten Sinfonia here at St Andrews Hall at the end of March ... so glad I opened that envelope this morning. She said the tickets are selling quickly and it’s one of my favorite pieces and with Bostridge too :kneel:

Lol so did my sis but left them on her bed instead of packing them ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 10:38 am

:shock: :lol: I'll try not to do that ... :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 18th, 2019, 10:48 am

Isn’t it Ian Bostridge? :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 10:53 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Isn’t it Ian Bostridge? :?

Yes of course it is ... :rolleyes: brain fog ... I'm in the middle of packing ... It's Ian Bostridge in St Andrew's Hall .... and we're just off to stay with our friends Andrew and Garry .......... Ian/Andrew ... Andrew/Ian .... thank Dog we've got a Satnav :lol: :lol: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 18th, 2019, 10:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

I am back, grey roots are gone :hi5: My usual hairdresser wasn't there her little dog died this morning on the way to the vets hospital :( :( so I had another lady. She has done it nicely. :tu: I don't know what has happened to the sun, its gone dull and cold. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 18th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Afternoon everyone! A bright and breezy one here, warm enough to have the air con on in the office.

I have had a rather promising email from my local council. Without going on, and on, and on (she says :? .....) him downstairs started playing up again after a quiet lull of about three months. :evil: Then the quiet turned into loud shouting and/or manic whistling at 1am, 2am, 3am, waking me up every night for about a week. I didn't want to go down the complaining to the landlord route and thought I would try a more personal approach, now that he spends most of time down there on his own. Not so intimidating. I put a note through his door. He called me over last week about it, we had a chat, he told me he was sorry but he had been having a bad time, trouble with his medication, thanked me for making him aware. A lovely two nights of uninterrupted sleep ensued. I thought that was it, problem solved. No, the past five days, nights, morning, noon and night have been awful. Monday night when I got home there was a scruffy gent who appeared to be drunk or drugged up, hanging around associating with my neighbour. Said 'hello darling, haven't seen you around in a while, where you been? On holiday? Keeping yourself to yourself?' :shock: I have never seen him before in my life! Then a group of them had a little party upstairs until 2am. So I got about 4 hours sleep. Same again last night. This morning, shouting and hollering in the communal area with a chap up the road with his Staffie dog. So I contacted my housing officer. It seems the very nice, young couple with two toddlers of just about school age who live on the top floor where the party was held are being affected by this too and so it seems this is war, again! The last time this happened, I crumbled. I stopped decorating, I got all depressed and this is not going to happen again. Hell will freeze over before this very sad, and probably very ill, individual and his mob of louts causes me as much grief as they did last year. I hope part of the war will be support, as I have always suspected that if he is on some kind of medication for mental health issues and he is not taking them then he needs help, bottom line!

Anyway, I have a little bit of sneaky news. Remember The Pickle Station, formed and killed off by you know who in 2011? :cry: Well, there is going to be a re-birth, and my very incredible dad has just come up with a new business name. Lots of research to do yet, but it will happen. I was thinking, if I can get logo, labels, and a batch of my special brown sauce together before the V&A trip, I could bring you all a bottle, but would it be feasible carrying a big bagful of glass bottles all the way to London and then us all having to lug them around with us all day? Probably not but I'll mention it on the meet thread. Watch this space as all will be revealed once up and running! :chef: :bounce:

Right, back to it! Enjoy the rest of whatever Wednesday brings your way! 8-)
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 18th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Grief - we'll all be looking out for a lost knickerless woman driving round the country tomorrow at this rate :lol: :lol: .

Hope the council/services can do something to help you and your neighbours and also the guy who needs support Tezza. It would be nice if you could realise your dream, I think there are a lot of hygiene hoops to jump through as well as the rules about running a business from home etc. None is insurmountable though. Those little jars like the ones you get preserves in in tea shops would be good for small taster gifts.

I have had a pyjama day because I felt like it and I need to rest my leg. I have just watched the Last Night of the Proms recorded at the weekend. It always highlights to me how much the world has changed over the years by people's behaviour and sliding formality. The past is a foreign country ....... it feels very much the case sometimes for better and worse :| . I am going to clear up everything from last night and then clean my bedroom now. Glad to see that the sunshine is due to last several days.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 19th, 2019, 4:39 am

Good morning all :D :mug: :mug: :mug:

Hope you can get the right support with the problem Tezza :hug:

We are up ... leaving in a few minutes when I’ve finished this :mug:

See you later .....
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 19th, 2019, 5:00 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, have a good journey, Suffs.
We are starting on Part One of getting our post EU residence permit. There was a notice in yesterdays Cyprus Mail that the Republic of Cyprus has extended the registration period by a year.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 19th, 2019, 6:53 am

Good morning wild ones. Happy holiday Suffs :wave: :wave: Tezza, I hope you get your problem neighbour sorted, you should not have to put up with that :hug: This morning is misty but should be sunny later, we shall see.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 19th, 2019, 7:17 am

Morning all! :wave:

Bon voyage Suffs :bounce:.

Another glorious day. My leg muscle will still need nurturing but the washing's on the line and after a :mug: or two I'll be doing the last of the decluttering (for now). Tomorrow I must go round the garden again and give it an early autumn tidy up.

Moira - :hug: it must feel a bit too real now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 19th, 2019, 9:24 am

Hello :wave:

I’ve skimmed back but sure I’ve missed stuff, sorry if I’m ignoring anything major

I’m resting my legs too earthmaiden, I’m trying to increase my amount of exercise but walking up all those hills in Scarborough may have overdone it’s little, my new fitness tracker says I have walked more than 50 km in 6 days and averaged over 13000 steps each day.

For those who remember schmoofaloof (Lizzie) from the BBC, she had her first baby on Sunday, a little boy called Ezra.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 19th, 2019, 9:34 am

Good morning everyone,
Happy holidays suffs
That's a lot of steps Sue in hilly Scarborough, I'm not surprised you are feeling it. Hope yours and EM's legs enjoy a restful day.
Yesterday my oomph went splat so it ended up a lazy day, I feel a bit more like it today. :) It's very grey out but supposed to stay dry but we'll see, after I finish my :mug: I'm going to start emptying the wall baskets & pots as a lot of my annual plants are finished.
My sis is popping round later for a catch up .
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 19th, 2019, 10:06 am

Back from Immigration which was fairly civilized, you have to queue for a ticket to the correct department. The Cypriots have inherited proper queueing from the British, very orderly, no one was invading anyone else's personal space. The yellow group (us) was called very quickly, we had our own waiting room and were dealt with in a professional manner. The worst bit was parking, no change there !
We have to go back together with a utility bill, rental agreement, passport, E20 and the real bugbear 5 years worth of bank statements. The problem with that is you cannot print of statements from your online account, they have to come from the bank as they have to be stamped by the bank who, of course charge for that service. However, you do not need an appointment.
All this is much better than when we registered prior to Cyprus joining the EU, where despite having an appointment we waited four hours in an inside waiting room, no external light or ventilation. I remember my Mother threatening to faint. .
After that we went to the Mall for coffee, so it was upstairs to Illy for an excellent Americano, Then on to Sigma Alpha, they import most of the British food items onto the island so it was into their supermarket for some Wing Yip items. Sigma Alpha have always had free coffee available but their coffee machine has gone, on leaving we found that they do free KEO beer and lurid slush drinks.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 19th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Afternoon peeps! :wave:

Happy hols suffs :bounce: and one of these :hug: for all the aching legs out there! :o

A busy day at work, stuffing down an Edam and cucumber sandwich at the midway point whilst sending my thoughts by email to my housing officer. I wanted to tell here that my eyes look like certain fluid holes made in the snow as a result of all the noise at home! :lol: I decided to tell her they were very tired. 8-) Back now to a ton of emails following a heavy chase up by my manager and this should clear my backlog, and that will make me very happy. What will also make me happy is a parcel waiting for me when I get home - two colouring books. Christmas at Liberty's and The Beauty Of Horror. I am going to need plenty of red ink for the latter. :scared: :tu:

Happy afternoons one and all! :D
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 19th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I hope Suffs is safely on her way and has a good journey and a fab holiday.

Very sad to hear John Humphries marking his llast Today programme. Mornings will just not be the same without his voice.

Glad to hear all when well this morning Moira. Unfortunately despite the fact that we have applied for citizenship we may still be required to jump through similar hoops here first even though we have old cartes de sejour. The French do love their bureaucracy - it keeps so many public servants in work!

Not much change in the temperature yet although the meteo seems sure we will have storms and rain by Sunday, just time for freinds who are coming to see us for lunch on their way back from the coast to Paris
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 19th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Deb has just discovered that our tenancy agreement has not been stamped, we will pop into the Village Office tomorrow to get that done. Most of the British expatriate population seems to be in and out of Immigration at present. On Tuesday whilst going into Lidl I met one friend on here way back from Immigration, this morning we met someone else we know leaving the lift as we entered it.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 20th, 2019, 5:04 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, quiet here again yesterday evening. I hope that Suffolk got to Cornwall safely.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 20th, 2019, 7:08 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is peeping through the clouds, it should be nice later :tu: Morrison's were starting to put Christmas goods out already :scared: I suppose I should start buying food and freezing it for Christmas before the food shortages start due to Brexit :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 20th, 2019, 7:17 am

Morning all! :wave:
More lovely sunshine! The house has had the current round of decluttering so it's the garden's turn today. Will do my best not to break the beautiful spider webs which are adorning everywhere at the moment. I find them very beautiful.

Oh icey, let's enjoy autumn! If there are shortages we'll all be in the same boat anyway - possibly literally :lol:. Wish my freezer was a bit bigger though ;).

Hope Dartmoor's looking lovely, Suffs.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » September 20th, 2019, 8:26 am

Good morning all :hug:

Another sunny day :D

I am meeting a friend this morning for cake, she is going through a hard time at work so am going to do my best to support her.

Not sure what I will do this afternoon probably make some more cards.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 20th, 2019, 8:30 am

Em, I have a very large spiders web on the wall just across from the kitchen window, it looks beautiful when its covered in dew and sparkling in the early sunshine, its been there a week or so, I keep telling OH if he touches it he will die a very painful death :lol: :lol: :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 20th, 2019, 9:11 am

Good morning everyone,
Lovely and sunny here today with half decent temeperatures forecasted, it's the "September weekend" and lots of places including the schools are closed Friday & Monday. The "Ayr Gold Cup" (horse racing) is on tomorrow and there is racing today to so the racegoers should be able to enjoy some fine weather. :)
Yes the spider webs are beautiful at the moment, unfortunately they seem to favour the baskets I need to clear but I'll try not to disrupt them too much. I'm hoping it will be warm enough to enjoy a sit in the sunshine this afternoon. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 20th, 2019, 9:24 am

Good morning
Sunny here and set to stay that way all day

We have a lot of spiders, but they make their webs attached to the railings and across the path, so unfortunately I tend to discover them by walking in to them. I picked up a rubber duck in the bathroom the other day and what I though was a small lump of grout fell out of the dimple underneath. When it uncoiled its legs it turned out to be quite a large spider, completely unharmed. I didn’t know spiders could curl up like hedgehogs!

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 20th, 2019, 9:35 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Boringly fine and warms again today .just waiting for the promised break in the weather.

I have a passion cake in the oven in preparation for Sunday lunch and my cunning plan to foil any power cuts.

GD has got herself a job for 9 months as a librarian/ reader aloud in the military section of QE hospital in Birmingham. She also has three offers of places to read English got next year. She says she feels a wonderful sense of relief and is really looking forward to her gap year.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 20th, 2019, 10:14 am

Ratatouille wrote:GD has got herself a job for 9 months as a librarian/ reader aloud in the military section of QE hospital in Birmingham
Good for her :hi5:
We are back from playing Mah Jong in Pissouri, five tables today! Our numbers were increased by a couple who stay in Pissouri for four/five weeks in September/ October every year, they are truly peripatetic. They do not actually live anywhere but move around the globe as it suits them, they spent the winter in India, they do not rough it, they always rent good quality accommodation. They seem nice people, the sort who join in with local groups to play whist/bridge. mah jong, whatever I should add that they do not pay tax anywhere.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 20th, 2019, 11:37 am

Good afternoon folks.

Just testing that my work computer allows me to post as the IP has been blocked from my mobile.... :cry:

Yep, it's okay from here!

Any ideas on unblocking from my mobile? I have had the thing for 14 months and nothing has changed. It does lead me to http://www.spamhaus to fix the problem. Is this normal? I am always dubious of such things! :scared:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » September 20th, 2019, 2:25 pm

i had the same thing a week or two ago. many ip addresses roam around the country and it may be that you've hit one that has been banned from here.
i was getting a message addressed to the banned person.
maybe, like mine, it will clear when you next log in on your phone.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 21st, 2019, 1:24 am

My G Mail has gone again after an 'update'. No idea why, perhaps it will settle down soon.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 21st, 2019, 5:39 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Microsoft did a monster up date on this laptop last week, it interfered with some of my games :o
Decidedly cooler here this morning, the humidity is low too, we are promised 28/9 C next week. Deb has decided that it is time to get one of the local garden contractors in to trim the trees, she does not have the correct tools.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 21st, 2019, 6:53 am

Good morning wild ones. We had a big update on the Sony tv, since, it has times where it won't switch on so we have to do a reset to get the damned thing to work, so annoying. PC world say they haven't heard of the problem before, but if we ring customer support they will send someone out, if they can't fix it on-site they take it away, if they can't fix it then, they will replace it. Now let me think where I have heard that before...oh yes when my cooker broke down, it took 3 months to get that sorted, they eventually gave me the money for it, I don't give up easily :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 7:35 am

Morning all! :wave:.

Your GD's gap year job sounds interesting Rats.

I love the idea of spending different seasons in different places, especially if, like those Moira mentions, you get to know people enough to join in with activities. You'd need to be pretty well off to make it work I think - but then, if you're avoiding tax ... :| (that's a bit naughty isn't it, I wonder if it could come back and bite them one day?).

Another lovely sunny day. I tidied the garden a little but will leave the big autumn chop/clear for now. There were huge spider webs everywhere, each with large resident spider plus the food they had accumulated. I couldn't bring myself to spoil any if them. Shopping and things today. Will test my leg. I think it's time to go back to pilates.

Enjoy the weekend! Tomorrow's forecast looks dire.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 21st, 2019, 8:52 am

earthmaiden wrote:here were huge spider webs everywhere, each with large resident spider plus the food they had accumulated. I couldn't bring myself to spoil any if them.

That's my excuse for not doing high level dusting, especially in the conservatory ;) :lol: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 21st, 2019, 9:23 am

Good morning everyone,
Congratulations to your GD rats :hi5:
Spiders galore here too both indoors and out. I did disrupt a few yesterday clearing wall baskets but I was as careful as I could be.
It was a glorious day here yesterday and today promises more of the same :D . It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I want to make the most of it while it lasts.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 21st, 2019, 9:30 am

We don't have spiders, we have geckos :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 21st, 2019, 9:35 am

liketocook wrote:Spiders galore here too both indoors and out.

And here. They have taken over from the plague of ants we had earlier in the year.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 10:16 am

The gecko reminded me (weird train of thought) that a friend who does archery with U3A missed the target recently but when she went to get the arrow found that she had shot a frog perfectly (it was a bit gory :? )
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop