CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby Ratatouille » September 21st, 2019, 12:42 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I couldn't log in earlier because the live box went off again, By the time it was rebooted a neighbour had called round and it was the hour of the Pastis. The weather is obviously on the turn. The wind suddenly shifted to the East and that always means rain.

The butcher clearly senses summer is over and had pieds et paquets today. That's supper sorted!

cyprusmoira wrote:We don't have spiders, we have geckos :rolleyes:
Moira

Who, presumably, eat the spiders?

Poor frog :( em
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 21st, 2019, 12:49 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Who, presumably, eat the spiders?
Yes, the geckos live behind the picture frames.

There is a photographer who posts on local social media, there was a great picture today of a goatherd pulling down carobs from a tree for his flock. Sorry I cannot post it here but it is closed site and will not let me do so.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 21st, 2019, 1:17 pm

Moira I read that as carrots and began to wonder if veg growing was extra special in Cyprus. :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 3:49 pm

Do they grow carob for animal feed? We used to use it in place of chocolate but even with the current healthy/vegan away I haven't seen mention of it for years. Perhaps because raw chocolate is in vogue.

I was a bit embarrassed this afternoon. I have started using the self scan facility in Sainsburys. It (usually) saves ages packing everything and queuing at the till (I know the argument about employment etc). I was selected for the random bag check today. The assistant went through and found an unscanned item (which I remember scanning but by now I could not see the list of items). I had to get the whole shop run through the till but I noticed at the end that it was about £4 more than my total had been ( this was not discussed). I am quite careful about scanning so was really surprised. You have to swipe your Nectar card to start so I wonder if I am down as a suspect shopper now. I shall use the facility again just to see. I was credited with extra Nectar points for the 'inconvenience' anyway! I am careful and try to be honest. I wonder how much they lose through theft and error with those systems and also question if everything registers even if the hand held machine says so?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 21st, 2019, 3:59 pm

I seem to remember The Queen being shown the self service tills, and she asked if one could "cheat" :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 21st, 2019, 4:08 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I seem to remember The Queen being shown the self service tills, and she asked if one could "cheat" :lol:

Well why not? Anthony Worrall Thompson did! :o

How embarrassing EM. :cry:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 21st, 2019, 5:56 pm

Oh dear, that is both very funny and rather sad earthmaiden

Been to the Geffrye museum for a very interesting hard hat tour of the redevelopment, we had to put on our hi-vis and go around in a tight group. It will be great when it reopens next year. This was part of the Open House weekend

Walked back, it’s a lovely day, shame it’s going to break tomorrow when there are car free roads and a celebration of 130 years of our local (Clissold) park:(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » September 21st, 2019, 8:58 pm

Earthmaiden, I won’t use the self check out tills, as the first time I used one,I must have got flustered, and discovered when I got home, that somehow I had not paid for a box of wine. As it is a 45 mile round journey to the supermarket, I’m ashamed to say that I did nothing about it. I felt awful about it for ages, and just decided to go through the manned checkouts from now on. As I only supermarket shop once a week or less, I’ve decided just to be patient and put up with the pain of waiting.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » September 21st, 2019, 9:08 pm

StokeySue wrote: "Been to the Geffrye museum" and "(Clissold) park":(

Two places I remember from my childhood.

I've not been back to where I was born and brought up for about 35 years. Plans are afoot to revist sometime very soon.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 22nd, 2019, 6:04 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
earthmaiden wrote:Do they grow carob for animal feed?
Yes, it's main use used to be animal feed but they are finding other food uses now. Never eat Pasteli, a sort of carob toffee confection if you value your fillings.
One of the local supermarkets has installed self check out tills, only foreigners seem to use them. I don't because I usually get help packing my bags at the usual tills.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 22nd, 2019, 6:50 am

Good morning wild ones. We are in the throws of a heavy rain and thunder storm at the moment :scared: :scared: At 6am there was an almighty bang of thunder that kicked it off. Talking of self checkout tills, I always set the lights off which means you have to wait for help :rolleyes: either that or I get the unidentified item message screaming at me, so I try to avoid them if possible :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 22nd, 2019, 8:43 am

Morning all! :wave:. Thunderstorms here for much of the night too. I am supposed to be going for a walk in a forest today, the forecast is dire and the local half marathon is on which has involved closing a lot of main roads and made planning a route out quite hard :evil:. My calf muscle is healing but I'm not sure it can stand a walk and I didn't get much sleep last night. I hope those are enough reasons not to go, not sure if I am just being lazy or sensible.

I don't mind self service tills although they can be temperamental. The kind I was talking about are those little hand scanner things you take round the shop with you and pack and scan the shopping as your go round. At the end you just click on a bar code and pay with a card. No queueing, no unpacking and packing. When it works it's so much quicker - but judging by my experience (which is far from unique) they must have a lot of theft, even if unintentional.

Interested to hear what they're doing to the Geffrye Museum. I was thinking they couldn't really do much without ruining it but saw a pic on FB and it looks as though they are utilising cellars, looking online it seems they will change the whole feel of the place but expect it will be well done.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 22nd, 2019, 9:22 am

earthmaiden wrote:not sure if I am just being lazy or sensible.

You are being sensible.
There is a lot of cloud building up but I do not think it will come to anything. Unlike last week when there was a storm along the length of the south coast but only inland, my American friend was on a day cruise out of Paphos last Sunday, not a drop of rain out to sea.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am

Good morning everyone,
Sounds sensible rather than lazy EM. ;) It's tipping it down here with a few thundery rumbles. My sister and I were going to pick up coffees and head to the beach but we've shelved that idea and she'll pop round for a cuppa instead. While I was out yesterday afternoon I picked up a bargain bag of lamb kidneys at the butchers. I had popped in for some liver which was sold out and was offered a bag (just under 400g) of kidneys for 50p instead as they would need using before they re-opened on Tuesday. It's a long time since I cooked kidney so will make a nice change for dinner.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 22nd, 2019, 10:12 am

Good morning
We have had quite a lot of rain overnight, fairly bright at the moment, but a bit worried as going out for local street festival soon, such a shame that the good weather wouldn't last just one more day
Really tired for no good reason, must start going to bed earlier
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 22nd, 2019, 3:50 pm

We have had everything weather can provide today except snow and ice. Sun, stroms torrential rain , hail and really gusty winds.

At least we have had power all day,

I feel for you em. We have self-scanning here but hardly anyone uses it. Very suspicious of technology they are round here. Knowing me I would get it horribly wrong and forget to scan something while doing others 3 or 4 times!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 23rd, 2019, 5:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
Ratatouille wrote:I would get it horribly wrong and forget to scan something while doing others 3 or 4 times!
ditto!
I have been listening over night to the consequences of the collapse of Thomas Cook, so many people affected, both staff and holiday makers. It will affect the tourist trade here plus a lot of the semi permanent residents used their flights.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 23rd, 2019, 6:35 am

OH is supposed to be flying with them next Saturday to Kefalonia, he is on a sailing holiday. Will have to wait and see what happens.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 23rd, 2019, 6:47 am

Good morning wild ones. What a shame about Thomas Cook. My Next door neighbour was due to fly out to Turkey next week. I guess she will have a battle to get her money back. The rain has stopped at last and the Sun is trying to peep through the clouds :bounce: the washing machine is on and first load is in :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 23rd, 2019, 7:18 am

We have had a message from the High Commission in Nicosia re Thomas Cook, not that it affects us personally. However there are posts on local social media such as this, I do not know the poster

Absolutely devastating, and I mean that, Jackie's sister is due to fly out on Wednesday, for her wedding at the weekend. All the wedding party's flights, the hotel, reception even the wedding officials were paid for in advance, a year ago. Now all gone, she's waited all her life for this dream wedding, now in tatters

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 23rd, 2019, 7:27 am

Morning all! :wave:.
Guess that the expression 'a Cook's tour' is well and truly part of history now. Feel very sorry for those affected and for the far reaching effect it will have on others.

The sun is out but I understand that generally it's not going to be very nice this week. I am not far from the end of the list of things I wanted to get done before deciding how to spend retirement in a more constructive way than just pootling about. There are so many choices that I am being wary of over filling the diary!

Hope the street festival went well Sue, it dried up here in the afternoon.

I haven't had kidney for ages, we had it quite a lot at one time usually either fried or cooked in a sauce and served with rice. Must look out for some when I have used more of the current freezer contents.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » September 23rd, 2019, 7:47 am

I've never used one of those hand scanners, I've never really trusted them, other than at the till at ikea and even then I often have to get someone to deal with it when it refuses to scan.
I buy powdered carob and now drink that instead of cocoa (the caffeine in which gives me palpitations). The other good thing about it is that I don't need to put a bit of sugar in it to make it more acceptable, like with cocoa.
The goat feed I used to buy had carob in, it smelled wonderful - like a really fruity muesli - I was often tempted to eat it myself.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 23rd, 2019, 8:30 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We woke up to thick fog and a highly steamy atmosphere. The sun is now out and so is a load of washing to dry - if it does.

I feel very sorry for all those affected by the Thomas Cook collapse. As one good lady from Newcastle said this morning she was really upset because they were the people who invented travelling nearly 200 years ago ;) Doesn't help the stranded, disappointed holiday makers or the poor out of work staff.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 23rd, 2019, 9:37 am

Good morning everyone,
EM - the kidneys were delicious I cooked them with bacon snippets, mushrooms & onions in a mustardy sauce and served them with mash & green veg. They made a lovely change from liver and I have two portions left over for the freezer. :) :chops:
My brother is currently in Turkey with Thomas Cook they only flew out on Friday! They knew they were taking a risk but would have lost all their money if they'd cancelled.
Grey but dry here today, I need to pop to Boots as someone in their pharmacy team can't count and has given me 148 instead of 168 of one of my meds by mistake. I'm hoping they can sort it out as it's almost a week's worth!
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 23rd, 2019, 11:50 am

Testing...
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 23rd, 2019, 11:52 am

How did I just do that when my IP address is blocked for previewing? Work PC is blocked entirely!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 23rd, 2019, 11:53 am

Odd...

I can preview now! What's going on?

(Better message the mods while I can I guess!)
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 24th, 2019, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, another quiet evening here. Tezza is your IP problem sorted out?
I am suprised to find that there are 12,000 Thomas Cook passengers due to fly out in the next two weeks, I am amazed the number is so high. There are also a lot of hoteliers and other businesses owed money.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 24th, 2019, 7:16 am

Good morning wild ones. The rain is hammering down, it's like fog its so heavy :scared: I am so glad I did the washing and ironing yesterday :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 24th, 2019, 8:14 am

Morning all! :wave:. Weather as predicted here too, it seems to have mostly been raining since yesterday lunchtime.

It must be so worrying for people in places which rely on the holiday trade. Despite climate change, Brexit and everything else, people still seem to be jetting off at a whim but this does make one wonder if there are subtle changes going on as there are in so many aspects of behaviour.

Went back to sleep this morning and when I did get up was faced with a note I left myself last night to remind me to move the car. I got in late last night and couldn't park in my zone. So I've had a nice little walk in the rain. I should do that every morning as it's quite nice really but one needs incentive! Not much to do today as DS is meeting GD from school. I might go on the hunt for some curtains.

The kidney meal sounds delicious ltc! :hungry:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 24th, 2019, 8:23 am

Having just come back from Greece (not Thomas Cook) feel so sorry for all those caught up with collapse. Simon Calder said, anyone out there should just stay by the pool and wait to be contacted. Well, some hotels have been demanding payment, despite the CAA saying they will pay. I doubt I’d be relaxed.

Funny how so many firms go bankrupt (Carrillion) just after the Directors have had big bonus pay outs. Now the government, via CAA, are using tax payers money to solve the problem. :rolleyes:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 24th, 2019, 8:53 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Mr R is off to collect a new live box. Let us hope it works and we get a telephone line restored. I find it really disturbing when we are out of touch with the world.

Its cloudy here today but still warm. I am bracing myself for the ironing this afternoon

Have a good Tuesday all.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 24th, 2019, 9:16 am

Back from Lidl, as usual a lot of the special offers were missing, they cover themselves by the statement "subject to availability". I bought some frozen prawns, I am not taking any chances with this lot, they are defrosting here in the sitting room.

Edited to add that I loved The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe question on Only Connect last night, not that I got the answer correct ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 24th, 2019, 9:41 am

I got that one - but didn't understand the last bit until it was explained! I did quite well last night - sheer fluke I'm sure!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 24th, 2019, 9:48 am

Good morning everyone,
Wet and grey here this morning, some of the showers have been torrential.
Boots sorted out my meds with no hassle, they were very apologetic. I think the pharmacist was relieved I didn't want to make a formal complaint, as far I could see a genuine mistake had been made which happens and they corrected it which was all I wanted. I think there is a tendency, certainly where I live, for folk to forget that mistakes happen and they go straight into "Mr Angry" mode! While I was out I popped into the local hardware shop and managed to get a medium mesh sieve to replace the oneI had that broke, after rubbing over 2kg of roasted tomatoes through a fine mesh one on Sunday my hands are protesting and the knuckle on my middle finger is all swollen. I'm hoping to get a couple more batches made this season so was really pleased to get one as it will make the job a little easier. I also treated myself to a new potato ricer as my ancient one has warped slightly. :)
I'm for an adminy day today, I've been quite busy (for me) recently and my balance is protestig a bit. I'm hoping a couple of quiet days settle it as my elder son is up for a few days from Thursday. He has leave he needs to use or he'll lose it and is in Edinburgh next week through work so a long weekend at home seemed like a good plan. His fiancee is in the very final weeks of her Phd and is holed up doing the last of the writing up needed so isn't able to come and no doubt will be glad of the peace and quiet. ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 24th, 2019, 9:50 am

I got most of the first Wall, but the second one had me completely baffled. :? :rolleyes:

and ... rarely for me, got most of the missing vowels too :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 24th, 2019, 10:41 am

Ouch ltc! Have you ever owned a Mouli Legumes? That would help a lot before the final 'sieving' I think.

The torrential rain has stopped. I was going to go out but DS says he 'might' come round. I want him to take some things away and don't want to miss the chance :rolleyes:.

I have just read on one of those silly Facebook pages of 'facts' that one of the Royal Family's Christmas traditions is to weigh themselves before and after Christmas (to check that they have all indulged well??!). I think that to weigh yourself in front of the extended family would really get Christmas off to a good start :lol:.
Last edited by earthmaiden on September 24th, 2019, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 24th, 2019, 10:47 am

Good morning
Wet and thundery here.
Sitting watching coverage of the Supreme Court decision. My jaw has just dropped

Actually, it dropped yesterday when the receptionist from surgery phoned to book me in for my annual check up tomorrow, so I can sort out vaccines etc

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 24th, 2019, 10:52 am

The plot thickens, Sue .....!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 24th, 2019, 11:44 am

earthmaiden wrote:The plot thickens, Sue .
and it was a unanimous judgement. Presumably Boris's aides are trying to arrange the first flight back from New York

Moira (glued to the news channels)
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 24th, 2019, 11:58 am

cyprusmoira wrote: Presumably Boris's aides are trying to arrange the first flight back from New York

Let's hope they didn't book it via Thomas Cook... :)

So pleased about the judgement. :tu:

Just back from Salzburg so will catch up in due course. Wedding was just lovely.... :luv: ... have streaming cold which I could do without but hey- it was worth it! See you later :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 24th, 2019, 12:17 pm

And for light relief here’s a review of Lady Hale’s lovely brooch collection

https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/11/lady-hales-best-brooches/

Boris has spoken, hasn’t said much of any interest. Bercow is enjoying hisself
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 24th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Wow!!

I was hoping for just such a judgement but unanimous???

The minute Bojo's plane lands from New York he should be arrested and taken to the tower.

In the meanwhile the Labout party is tearing themselves to bits. As my dad's friend Ernest from Edinburgh used to say in his beautiful accent "The country's done".

I'm just hearing Boris disagrees with the judgement and is intent on Brexit on the 31st :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 24th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Bercow is hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 24th, 2019, 12:45 pm

BoJo in full waffle flow talking about the NY skyline

I nearly swore there.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 24th, 2019, 12:51 pm

:lol: :lol: I know what you mean Sue. Its still raining here, not stopped for a second.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 24th, 2019, 1:51 pm

The rain here is biblical. I had to pick mum up after her dialysis session at the renal unit, I walked in like a drown rat, so much so they made me a cup of tea, but we still had to brave the rain and mini river over the cobbled gutter to get to the car. I felt sorry for those in wheelchairs getting soaking wet whilst they were being loaded into taxis.

Our lane is fast turning into a river, thank goodness we have a big vehicle- my low slung car couldn’t get through.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 24th, 2019, 2:07 pm

StokeySue wrote:BoJo in full waffle flow talking about the NY skyline

I nearly swore there.

OH did ...!!!
KC2
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 24th, 2019, 3:43 pm

We found the result of the judgement while having a coffee in the museum gift shop in Saumur. They have EU flags for sale, so we bought one! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » September 24th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Good for you!! Wave it enthusiastically
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop