CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby scullion » September 1st, 2019, 9:33 pm

i think the findings, about cycle helmets, were that drivers left less space and were less careful of cyclists if they had helmets on.
scullion
Registered

Postby Rainbow » September 1st, 2019, 10:31 pm

earthmaiden wrote:
miss mouse wrote: When Sydney made them mandatory the cyclist death rate doubled, less people cycled, those who did ... The value of cycle helmets is highly questionable. What usually kills cyclists is being hit by a car, why don't we remove them?

Interesting, I didn't know that (about Sydney and the helmets). I do feel that even if they are only of some value that it is better than nothing. It would, of course, be lovely if cycle paths were separate from roads but that's not really practical (and would not prevent accidents such as that of the boy that Suffs mentioned).

Well, I don't know where Miss Mouse got those statistics from - the Anti Helmet Lobby I suspect, who are very vocal. But I think I believe this a lot more:-

"The evidence is in: Australian mandatory helmet laws brought in to reduce fatalities in cycling have worked, with a world-first study of such laws at UNSW Sydney showing they led to an immediate 46% drop in fatalities and have saved billions of dollars in medical costs since 1990."
Rainbow
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2019, 3:46 am

The roads here don’t have a lot of traffic (except at school time) ... it’s a totally residential area with no through roads at all ... we live on a cul de sac off a cul de sac off a no through road ... the whole area has a 20mph limit which is pretty much adhered to as most of the traffic belongs to folk who live here ... there’s lots of cycling here ... the whole city is full of bikes and cycle ways etc. Children cycling around here face pretty much the same conditions as children in the 60s faced and the hazards are mainly the ones of going too fast down hills ... I still bear the scar on my arm from when I did that at about 11 years old :oops: .
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 2nd, 2019, 5:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Cyprus reopens today, I am expecting fleets of builder's trucks to thunder past the house later on.
Suffs, you are up early again.
I am off to Paphos via the carwash, it is my favourite carwash, the one where you can get a decent coffee and a bacon roll :drool:

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2019, 5:40 am

Good morning :D :mug:

Yes, I was asleep by nine last night so woke early ... thought it was probably too early to say good morning then :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 2nd, 2019, 6:46 am

Good morning wild ones. Looks like w may have a nice day today :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2019, 7:23 am

Morning all! :wave: Coffee and bacon rolls at the car wash sound rather civilised.

A glorious morning. I have hung out some washing and the early morning air was lovely, especially with the newly painted shed and gate :lol:. We seem well into autumn spider season, I do not dislike spiders and marvel at their intricate webs glistening in the sun.

Interesting to hear those statistics Rainbow. I am glad it's made a difference.

A few bits and bobs to do today and some food preparation for tonight's Polish evening. Not clear if DS will need chauffeuring anywhere later so will get it all done quite early in case.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2019, 8:11 am

Aaaarghhhh!!! Ive had a text from Scully saying she’s getting a message informing her that she’s been banned ‘cos of her IP address!!! Ive flagged it up to the Mods /Admin so hopefully it’ll get sorted soon ... just wanted everyone to know she’s not ignoring us :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 2nd, 2019, 9:10 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Second load of washing hung out to dry in the stiffish breeze.

We are keeping a very close eye on the progress of hurricane Damian. It is right now battering the lovely island of Abaco which we know well and have seceral good friends living there. Our oldest friend who is in her 80s is of special concern. We are just hoping she ahs gone to stay with her son in Nassau. He and DD were born within three months of each otheer and both qualified as lawyers. Sylvia is however a very stubborn lady and we wouldn't put it past her to stay put.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2019, 9:36 am

I know you have friends there Rats ... am thinking of them (and you) and keeping fingers crossed. O
I’ve not looked at the track it’s taking ... and the radio said it’s quite erratic anyway ... what about Rocky? Is she having to take precautions or has it missed them completely?
Last edited by suffolk on September 2nd, 2019, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 2nd, 2019, 9:55 am

Good morning everyone,
I hope Rocky and your friends are ok Rats.
My younger son would have been killed or at the very least very seriously injured when he was 9 had he not been wearing a cycle helmet. He was out with his pal and the pal's Dad when he hit a frozen mud rut, catapulted over the handlebars and hit frozen ground head first. He hit the ground with such force that the helmet was damaged and was very lucky to escape with a fractured cheek bone and broken teeth. It's mixed bag whether folk wear them round here but my two boys did/do thankfully.
It's tipping it down here this morning, I woke just after 7am to sound of the rain battering off the window and I decided I would snooze for a bit longer. Before I knew it, it was after 9am so a lazy start to the day. The house smelled lovely when I got up as I had cooked chicken stock overnight in the slowcooker. I'll get it strained and chilled to remove the fat before reducing it for the freezer, though it might not get that far as it's definitely soup making weather.
I must get in tough with the chimney sweep this week and get the stove swept before winter arrives.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2019, 10:24 am

Good morning
We seem to have reached critical mass round here with helmets, many tinies wear helmets linked to their favourite characters such as Peppa Pig and Spider-Man on their scooters and trikes so by the time they progress to real bikes the helmet is as automatic as the shoes - some exceptions of course, but fewer and fewer. Same happened with riding when I was a kid

Slowly surfacing after the weekend tournament. I think I may have left without collecting a very small amount of winnings but never mind, will get from someone later, played 11 matches and won 5 so not entitled to much. Was a very good tournament, the venue is more of a conference centre than a hotel so plenty of well serviced meeting rooms, suitable tables and chairs etc. In the country so we could watch the rabbits from the windows of the playing room.

Only downside was rather less exciting food than I’d have expected at a hotel, but it was ok, especially at the full board price

Better start doing things, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 2nd, 2019, 10:38 am

suffolk wrote:I know you have friends there Rats ... am thinking of them (and you) and keeping fingers crossed. O
I’ve not looked at the track it’s taking ... and the radio said it’s quite erratic anyway ... what about Rocky? Is she having to take precautions or has it missed them completely?

Thanks Suffs. We were hit by Dorian last week when it was a category 1 so a bit of damage but not much. It would have been the end of here if it did what it is doing to the poor Bahamas. I actually felt physically sick reading about it last night - poor poor people.
Rocky
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2019, 10:54 am

Glad you and yours are ok Rocky 8-) ... as you say the damage being done is horrendous ... I was in one of the worst areas for the 87 ‘hurricane’ in the UK and although pretty grim it was absolutely nothing compared to what happens in the Caribbean ... however it had given me just a tiny glimpse of what it must be like to be there.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2019, 12:05 pm

Rats, I hope that those you know (and everyone else!) managed to get somewhere safe. I have been reading Rocky's accounts on the 'What are you eating?' page since Irma. These events do seem to be becoming more commonplace and I don't think they can hope to recover well for many, many years even if not struck again. Once out of the news the lives of the rest of the world go on and unless there are continual pleas for help it's forgotten by most. Rocky has really brought home the ongoing dormant trauma suffered by those affected as well as the brave struggle to keep things going and rebuild. We are so lucky as Wildies to have such a diverse group of people to educate us and make friends with.

In my little corner of England I have nothing more to worry about than whether my washing's about to be rained on (as long as I try to forget about politics). I have spent the morning making vegetable salad, cucumber salad and a weird apple crumble baked cheesecake for the Polish party tonight. Please, no-one with Polish connections tell me that no self-respecting person from that part of the world would eat such things. Tonight we pretend they would :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 2nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

I just can't get our Bahamian friends out of my mind. DD had a text from the woman we fostered in the UK to enable her to train as a nurse. We have kept close. She lives on Grand Bahama and she said she was very scared. Even as a relatively wealthy woman and able to take care of herself as far as possible but heaven help the poorer families, of whom there are many.

PS Rocky I am so glad you haven't suffered as badly this time :hug:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 2nd, 2019, 12:44 pm

I have just been watching the News, the hurricane is only moving at 1mph :!: The Red Cross seem to already be in position on the islands
Years ago I heard an account of Hurricane Andrew when it hit Florida. The lady who told the story had accompanied her husband to Orlando on business, as she said, it was frightening enough being inland in a brick built building with integral shutters. Her friends were well prepared with bottled water, canned goods, batteries. The electrical company and other utilities were on standby to restore services as soon as possible

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 2nd, 2019, 12:49 pm

Good Afternoon wild ones. It looks really really scary in Florida, my heart goes out to them. :hug: Here the sun is out but so are the clouds and it's quite humid. I have just dug up the last of the potatoes and given some to my neighbour, we had a bumper crop this year.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 2nd, 2019, 1:11 pm

Ice,The storm hasn't even reached Florida yet and could well veer off and head towards the Carolinas or Georgia. At the moment it is sitting over Grand Bahama and moving at a mile an hour so it's going to be there for quite a long while.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm

Yes, it was a guy in the Bahamas I saw on the news talking about the devastation

Awful. Hope people survive and help gets through fast.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 2nd, 2019, 4:32 pm

afternoon, all.
it seems our ip address landed on one that was associated with a previously banned member (i kept getting the message to her when i tried to log in).
back to normal now.
i sent a message to riocaz to see if it was, actually, meant for me (not sure if i'd been naughty or not!) but he quickly reassured me of the possible cause. (thank you).
i have been on the first part of a 'positive behavioural support' course all day. second part next week - when shoes with no heels or open toes must be worn - hmmmm - sounds a little physical.
i hadn't seen or heard anything of the hurricane until the pm programme came on half an hour ago. sounds bad.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2019, 5:10 pm

Glad you’re reconnected Scully :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2019, 5:20 pm

Just heard from the tournament director, so I checked the results on line
The guy who beat me in the main tournament won it, beating all of the other three representatives of my club on the way!
One of them won the next tier, the consolation, beating another in the final

I had a really good run to get to the semi final of the next level, the last chance, so I get a bit of cash back.

Just listened to Boris (autocorrect offered me “Boring”), mercifully no umming and erring, but no substance either
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 2nd, 2019, 8:22 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, 1st September today, have you started your Christmas shopping :o

Moira :mug:

I started mine in JUNE! :lol:

Gruney - :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mum had to go for a chest x-ray last week, as she was coughing up blood :o Thankfully that appears to have stopped thanks to a course of antibios, BUT we still have to wait for x-ray results.
Just praying it's only an infection, and not That Disease.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 2nd, 2019, 8:24 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:The Red Cross seem to already be in position on the islands

The Red Cross are truly amazing! :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 3rd, 2019, 5:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, muggy here today bit the night time temperatures are dropping.
The laptop is playing up today, I am having trouble with the speaker which means I cannot listen to the Today programme. I could listen to it on the TV but that means a major shift into the sitting room.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 3rd, 2019, 6:15 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I wouldn’t worry about listening Moira ... it’s nothing but political chaos ... there must be something more edifying to listen to ... goats bleating perhaps?
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2019, 6:42 am

StokeySue wrote: Just listened to Boris (autocorrect offered me “Boring”)
:lol: :lol:

Morning all! :wave:. I think we should all be listening to the bleating goats carefully and keeping tabs on them. That we should be in this situation on the 80th anniversary of WWII - however you interpret the outcome - makes me so disappointed.

Grey outside today. GD is coming for the day, I feel quite sleepy and haven't worked out what we'll do. Maybe go on a bus somewhere before coming back to finish decorating stones and playing games. My dining room currently looks like a nursery. Last night's Polish evening was rather good. My crumble cake turned out better than I'd expected. As ever, the pot luck supper worked out well. Someone brought delicious 'dumplings' which were little pancakes filled with soft sweetened and spiced cream cheese bought from a local Polish shop - :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 3rd, 2019, 6:47 am

Ratatouille wrote:Ice,The storm hasn't even reached Florida yet and could well veer off and head towards the Carolinas or Georgia. At the moment it is sitting over Grand Bahama and moving at a mile an hour so it's going to be there for quite a long while.

Rats, they were showing the devastation on the news.
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 3rd, 2019, 6:56 am

Good morning wild ones. I am sick of hearing about Brexit, now the PM might call a General election on 14th October :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Anyway, more important, it's shopping, I need to get some bread and see if the Christmas goods are appearing yet :lol: :lol: Morrison's have the Christmas pre order books out, shame they are last year's I don't know if anyone else has noticed yet. I might just point it out today :lol: :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 3rd, 2019, 6:58 am

suffolk wrote:I wouldn’t worry about listening Moira ... it’s nothing but political chaos ... there must be something more edifying to listen to ... goats bleating perhaps?

Presumably all is peace and love in the rest of the world.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 3rd, 2019, 7:05 am

I have just made two small jars of pesto, the basil was getting out of hand, there were some ends of Parmesan in the fridge, I used blanched almonds, pine nuts are a daft price here. Hurrah for the food processor :!: Guess what's for supper. ;)

For the record I got three questions correct in the first round of last nights Only Connect, including the music question and did better than both teams on the Wall.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 3rd, 2019, 7:24 am

I thought that the walls were quite difficult last night, I also got the music question.

Missing vowels were easy apart from the Latin horse section which I didn’t get any right :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2019, 7:29 am

:o Latin horse? Good grief! I haven't watched it yet, I don't think there's much hope of me getting that :?.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 3rd, 2019, 9:13 am

Morning everyone :wave:

September 3rd 1939 was the day my parents were married. They had planned it for a week later but knew Dad would be calld up immediately because he was a senior memebr of the Red Crosss. Sure enough his papers came 2 days later.

I can't decide wether or not to watch the circus in Westminster this afternoon. I wish our papers for citizenship would come through as quickly as Dad's call-up!

Didn't see much television last night . We were too busy messaging the family and friends in the Bahamas to see how they were doing. No news from Abaco except horrific pictures on the news. However Eulie on Grand Bahama managed to get a message to DD to say she still had a roof and was hanging on in there although the flooding is very bad. Trouble is that the northern islands are all so low lying.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 3rd, 2019, 10:33 am

Don’t get me wrong! I am angry as hell and I care desperately about trying to get the best possible resolution to the scary chaos we’re in ... not just here but in the rest of the world too ... my attempt at levity was solely to Moira as a temporary solution to her inability to listen to the Today programme this morning. I’m glued to it every morning but it’s not doing my blood pressure any good :rolleyes: and I do love goats ... I used to have a herd of dairy goats.

And if I ever get within an arm’s length of that arrogant idiot Cameron I may well not be responsible for my actions ... whichever side of the Brexit fence one is on there cannot be a sane person with a triple digit IQ who thinks he had a well-conceived and practical plan :twisted:

And the car needs more money spending on it before we go to Cornwall .... :twisted:

I’m not in the best of moods .......
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am

Rats :hug: Fingers very crossed
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 3rd, 2019, 11:44 am

Good afternoon
Late on parade as catching up on sleep after the weekend

Finally got a detailed report from the Bahamas on BBC News just now, truly a terrible, but at least the storm is now down to category 3 and the US Coastguard search and rescue have started work

The UK politics just make your head hurt, whoever is on, and however they are reported.

Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

suffolk wrote:my attempt at levity was solely to Moira as a temporary solution to her inability to listen to the Today programme this morning. I’m glued to it every morning but it’s not doing my blood pressure any goo

Don't worry, I did not take offence. I like goats too, they are the Nubian goats here, some wear bells so you get a gentle clanging.
The weather has improved overnight, the temperature has dropped to the high 20s, it is 29 C at 3 00pm, the humidity has dropped too. I feel my cooking mojo returning

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 3rd, 2019, 12:39 pm

Moira :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 3rd, 2019, 12:40 pm

suffolk wrote:Don’t get me wrong! I am angry as hell and I care desperately about trying to get the best possible resolution to the scary chaos we’re in ... not just here but in the rest of the world too ... my attempt at levity was solely to Moira as a temporary solution to her inability to listen to the Today programme this morning. I’m glued to it every morning but it’s not doing my blood pressure any good :rolleyes: and I do love goats ... I used to have a herd of dairy goats.

And if I ever get within an arm’s length of that arrogant idiot Cameron I may well not be responsible for my actions ... whichever side of the Brexit fence one is on there cannot be a sane person with a triple digit IQ who thinks he had a well-conceived and practical plan :twisted:

As usual, we sing from the same hymn sheet Suffs.... :)

Rats- keeping all crossed. Such an awful thing.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 3rd, 2019, 12:44 pm

Seatallen :hi5: :idea: I’ll hold him down and sit on him ... you can stick pins in him. :twisted: :D

Hows the new house? What’s the garden like?
Last edited by suffolk on September 3rd, 2019, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 3rd, 2019, 1:23 pm

Don't worry Sea and Suffs I've already got a voodoo doll called Cameron
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 3rd, 2019, 1:35 pm

Good Afternoon wild ones. I am back. The sky has gone very dark, I think we are in for a drenching. I told OH not to clean the windows :evil: The beasts are snuggled up together on the sofa. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 3rd, 2019, 4:16 pm

suffolk wrote:Seatallen :hi5: :idea: I’ll hold him down and sit on him ... you can stick pins in him. :twisted: :D

Hows the new house? What’s the garden like?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tu:

Loving new house. Garden a work in progress (isn't it always? :D ). Current project is making a raised bed area (where previous occupants had a children's play area so already some hard-standing). Have assembled 4 raised beds (plus a lovely wooden herb wheel which I purchased at a knock-down price at local B&Q because it was the display model) and surrounded with bark chippings. Herb wheel already planted up (in part with plants I brought with us when we moved). Now need to fill the remainder with compost and (hopefully) some winter veg. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 3rd, 2019, 6:27 pm

Good evening everyone,
Your garden sounds lovely Sea, I do like a raised bed (or three) :D
Rats - my paternal grandparents were married on 03/09/45, they had been planning it for later in the year. They thought my Papa was unlikely to get called up as he was in a reserved occupation (steel works)but they both had family members including the best man who would be so brought it forward. My great-gran was never convinced that was the reason but no baby appeared until 1942 ;).
Can I borrow a voodoo doll as I'd like to sticks pins in one representing the very patronising Dr's receptionist I had a run in with morning? I may use a rollator but there's absolutely no need to shout at me or speak to me as if I was five! However, I very politely stood my ground, I had pre-arranged to call in to collect a document and wasn't leaving without it and eventually she strode off to speak to "someone" only to return a few moments later with an envelope for me. An apology was obviously too much to expect ..... I have filled in their on-line "customer feedback form" though as she was completely out of order and very public about it! As I was leaving an older chap who was within earshot said "well-done you she's a right ****" so obviously someone not just having a bad day. It's a shame as the rest of the team are always so polite and helpful.
It's rained all day here and I got soaked when I was out, not helped by doing a "Doctor Foster" - not quite up to my middle but certainly well up my leg :( . As I was already wet when I got home I had a splosh round the veg patch, picked lots more beans and checked the greenhouse. Just as well I did as my Ildi toms had tipped over off the staging, creating mayhem. A couple of vines got broken and I now have a bowl of green/semi ripe toms indoors to ripen as well as another large bowl of properly ripe toms. More passatta/sauce will need to be made in the next few days. :D
My stove got lit for the first time in months last night as it was really chilly, our local FB page was full of folk this morning complaining about having to put the heating on! Although it's miserable tonight it is a bit warmer thankfully as there is a lot of autumn/winter still to come.
liketocook
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 3rd, 2019, 9:30 pm

There's been a suggestion that there will be a General Election in the next three weeks. If that's so, I will be abroad. I will have to spend tomorrow investigating postal votes.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » September 3rd, 2019, 9:58 pm

We’ll be away from home for the second half of the month too Aero .., I’ve have a postal vote since breaking my foot, but OH doesn’t ... and anyway how much before the date will the postal votes he sent out, if the election is called at short notice ... I refer Honourable Wildies to my comments made earlier today ... :twisted:
Last edited by suffolk on September 3rd, 2019, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2019, 10:03 pm

When I knew I would be overseas during local election time last year and wouldn't even be able to do a postal vote I arranged for it to be done by proxy. It wasn't too difficult to arrange.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 3rd, 2019, 10:05 pm

General election date most likely in October - they aren’t instant
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop