CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 10:54 am

I use lots of dried oregano and thyme, but I’m not a fan of dried sage or rosemary ... dried sage always has a slightly fusty/mouldy taste to me and dried rosemary is just too woody.

This chicken has been massaged inside and out with garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and sprinkled with seasalt and black pepper. It has half a lemon and a quartered onion in its middle. I’ll roast it in the enamelled covered roaster along with potatoes and parsnips that have been peeled and tossed in a little sunflower oil. That saves on washing up as well as keeping the oven clean :D and OH loves potatoes cooked like that ... they get crispy edges but also soak up all the chickeny flavour :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2019, 11:15 am

Lovely Scully, apart from the sea view ours is currently similar to the east but clouding from the west
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 6th, 2019, 11:40 am

suffolk wrote:...... and OH loves potatoes cooked like that ... they get crispy edges but also soak up all the chickeny flavour :chops:

I'm with him there :D :drool:
I freeze fresh sage & rosemary for use during the winter though I don't mind the dried stuff in casseroles etc.
Lovely view Scully :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 11:55 am

I’m so used to being able to pop outside for fresh herbs ... it’s a rare day when there’s nothing useable in the herb garden so I don’t bother to freeze any ... but I’m not opening the back door in this :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 6th, 2019, 12:25 pm

suffolk wrote:This chicken has been massaged inside and out with garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and sprinkled with seasalt and black pepper. It has half a lemon and a quartered onion in its middle. I’ll roast it in the enamelled covered roaster along with potatoes and parsnips that have been peeled and tossed in a little sunflower oil.

What time am I expected Suffs?? :D :chops: :hungry:

Scully, lovely sky. It was wet here all night but it has brightened up now. Went for an 'off road' run earlier and came back with very wet socks from the puddles.

Am very much looking forward to this:

https://www.edenarts.co.uk/projects/winter-droving

It's a bit 'Wicker Man' but should be splendid fun.... :) In previous years we've always been back in the South when it is on. SO pleased we're now able to go.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Seatallen ... we’re sitting down about 6pm ... see you then ... it’s all downhill from where you are now and today I suggest a Water Taxi ... or an ark ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 6th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Jet-ski is the way to go these days Suffs and Sea.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 6th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Very late to the party today but we have only just said goodbye to our guests after a very long lunch made even longer by the gas bottle running out in the middle of finishing the risotto, and a certain Danish lady who drank far too much red wine and got way over-confident in her ability to speak French with hilarious results.
There was very little to put away in the form of left-over food, or wine come to that.

It has been another lovely day but everyone is agreed a little more water would not come amiss. Apparently the vendage this year is not good.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 3:33 pm

We have plenty of water here Rats ... help yourselves ... there’s enough for the fields and vineyards and some for the Danish lady too ... ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 6th, 2019, 5:31 pm

The forecast was for rain today.
We often go for a good walk on a Sunday but we decided to skip it today.
I went to an exercise class and J went hunter-gathering (at Majestic)

By 2pm there was still no rain so I stripped the bed, put it in the wash and dried it all outside.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Our local news website is almost totally about the floods here in Norfolk ... Suffolk is the same.
https://www.edp24.co.uk/home
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 6th, 2019, 5:38 pm

suffolk wrote:Our local news website is almost totally about the floods here in Norfolk ... Suffolk is the same.
https://www.edp24.co.uk/home

It’s so wet here even the dog doesn’t want to go out for a walk! He rushes into the garden for a quick wee, does his business and is back at the door quick as a flash.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 7th, 2019, 5:32 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have succumbed and am wearing short sleeves, last night we had all the sitting room doors closed.
A friend, her husband and another couple joined a group for a gullet cruise along the Turkish coast. I have done that a couple of times, one of the great things about it is tying up in little bays over night. One couple on the boat spent most of the cruise complaining about the lack of Wi Fi then when they did moor up in a little village the Wi Fi was very weak, also there was no air conditioning except when the boat's engine was running.
Interesting what peoples expectations are these days.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2019, 6:46 am

Morning all! :wave:. The more I hear about 'other people' on organised holidays the more wary I become at the thought of going on one, good as they are in principle.

I hope everyone affected by the deluge yesterday is ok. As forecast, we didn't get rain (apart from a few spots at lunchtime) but there was some overnight and the forecast looks poor for the next 2 weeks :(. Don't think we're going to get an Indian Summer.

Good day out yesterday, lots of bits and pieces to catch up with today.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 7th, 2019, 7:17 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining, it is bouncing off the pavement, the beasts dashed out for a wee and crashed back in. I don't think they will be going far today :lol: mind you, I do have to go over to the vet's with Frankie she is due for her booster vaccination. That will be fun, she sings all the way going over there, then as soon as she sees the car park, down goes the head and its noooooooooooooo I am not going in there. :rolleyes: once inside she tells the whole place she is not happy...at he top of her voice :oops: nothing will shut her up. I had to ask for an appointment when there would be nobody in the waiting room :oops: :oops: so embarrassing.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2019, 7:29 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I slept for England and have only just woken up :shock: Maybe my body clock is adjusting to retirement ... at last :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2019, 7:42 am

I'm trying to adjust mine to wake up earlier!
I've been meaning to say, I hope Tezza is alright, she's been very quiet this week.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2019, 7:47 am

I saw that she was online late the other evening :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 7th, 2019, 8:52 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I've got the first load of washing out but am hoping it stays there and doesn't end up on the other side of the Luberon because we have, shall we say a very brisk, Mistral.

Rather lot of things to remember for an elderly brain today, Like booking a table for next Sunday, getting a voucher for the lad next doors birthday , ordering some new pillows and using 4 left over egg whites to make meringues.

I've got a butternut squash roasting with a couple of red onions ready to add to half a bottle of pasata for lunch-time soup. I'll pop over to Christians with some and a couple of cheese scones when it's ready.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 7th, 2019, 9:38 am

Good morning everyone,
Wet and very windy here this morning, I had to pop out to get my flu jab and it was defintely wooly hat weather as the wind was freezing. All you could see were folk shedding multiple layers in the surgery waiting room!
Thankfully apart from retrieving my food waste caddy once it is emptied and checking the greenhouse, I don't need to venture out again today :D .
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2019, 9:53 am

Tezza was upset by people on the Wildies FB group

We’ve had some rain here. I must get going, stuff to do, need to make som phone calls during office hours

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2019, 10:30 am

Thanks for reminding me about the flu jab ltc. I haven't had any invitation from the doctor's so will go to Asda and see.

Glad that Tezza's been looking in :hug:. I think she knows we like to see her around.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 7th, 2019, 1:36 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Glad that Tezza's been looking in :hug:. I think she knows we like to see her around.

Indeed. I do hope that whatever happened on the FB group (haven't looked in for ages) that Tezza continues to be a (highly valued) member of our little community.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Never been on FBook ... it always seems like a path to disaster so I leave well alone ... sadly there are some unkind people out there :cry: :evil: Hope Tezza is ok :hug: :luv:

I've had a hectic morning ... an early call for help from DD ... she knew her car was on its last legs but this morning it died ... she’d already bought a new (er) one and had arranged to pick it up next week when her Papa returned from his holiday in Canada, but she needs a car NOW so she can work.

Thankfully the new car was ready for her ... she just had to get to the garage on the Norfolk border to pick it up ... so I drove down to Ipswich to pick her up ... she sorted out the insurance etc and I drove her to pick up the new car ... a long detour was needed as the road was blocked and there were long queues on the A140 involving lots of police cars and breakdown wagons ... fortunately we were near to a turning and I was able to find a route through old haunts ... she’s got the car and hopefully all is well... and I’m home :D Phew! :mug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Facebook is great for what it's good for, I use two local community groups a lot, and various other things
But, it's people, and people can behave just as badly on FB as they do in real life, and occasionally on forums
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2019, 5:09 pm

I agree ... I'm sure it has it's good points ... but folk can be vulnerable and are often alone when they're posting ... I saw some nasty results of such unkindness in my last job. I'm also aware of former colleagues who were targetted because of their work ... not nice at all ... I'm staying away from it for personal stuff ... professional Fbook pages are different ... if you remember to separate the personal from the professional.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 7th, 2019, 6:32 pm

I have always refused to join FB . I think it's not a nice place to be.We have a closed family group on something - What's Ap? and it works fine for us but abolutely nothing else.
PS should have added FB nearly ended my son's life.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 7th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Oh my God Rats! :hug: :hug:

Good evening all. First of all, let's all have a :hug:

All is well with me! So busy with work, decorating, sleeping, eating...I haven't been ignoring folk, just haven't had much interesting news. Oh, other than I purchased a new domain name yesterday for my foodie venture. :bounce: All will be revealed soon!

But I must say, I did take slight offence to postings on FB...very briefly! Because I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be offended by! So I stepped away for a few days if honest. I don't want to fall out with anyone or feel bad about anything, so I got stuck into my new bookcases (Freecycle actually) and chilled out a bit. It's true what's been said about FB, and I am sorry to read your post above Rats, it can be an amazing thing when used properly, but it often gets abused by the nasty humans we have to share this beautiful planet with. Best thing, if you are in a position to, is ignore and have a breather. I have joined groups for lost pets in my area and the sickos crawl all over those sometimes. And what should be fun groups often turn nasty too. Then there are groups you can join, watch, read, enjoy, no need to comment. I can name one off the top of my head. Knee Deep In Life is worth a giggle after a long day at work. Local news, history, always worth a look.

Anyway, we got an invite to the works Christmas 'do' today. It is a Friday night event with a Christmas dinner, music, taxis there and home, venue in Wembley so chances are I'd get home well into the early hours next day and this old fart is lucky if she can keep her eyes open past 11pm. :lol: And I thought, what if you went all that way to find no Brussels sprouts on your dinner plate! :shock: :lol: No, I'll probably stay at home and reorganise my bookcases! :tu:

:hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Hi Tezza :wave: glad you’re ok :D
I think works Christmas Do’s are often a huge let down. I still get invited to my old team’s Christmas lunch ... usually at a foodie pub near the office ... but after you’ve exclaimed over new children/grandchildren/pets/partners/hair colour what is there to talk about? Plus there’s a load of new folk on the team who haven’t the foggiest who I am. Hopefully I’ll be ‘doing something else on that day’ if I get an invitation again this year ;)

Right ... I’ve been sent to bed cos I fell asleep in the sofa ... again ... so night night all ... sweet dreams :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » October 8th, 2019, 12:13 am

Sorry to hear about your son Rats. I’m a member, but don’t post on FB.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned them before, but if you’re considering new pillow, we love these. Well worth the extra £p.

Sorry, I can’t find a link. Possibly like this https://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/dual-support-pillow/
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 8th, 2019, 5:19 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, glad to read that you are well, Tezza. I know what you mean about works dos, especially as Wembley as a fair way from Dunstable.
I do belong to FB but mainly to play games or to be correct do their on line jigsaw puzzles and sudoku

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 8th, 2019, 7:01 am

Good morning wild ones. I don't do Facebook either, evil place by some accounts so best to steer clear for me. :wave: hi Tezza, glad to see you back :tu: the visit to the vet yesterday went really well, her ladyship was a good girl :D she didn't may a noise for a change, she even stepped onto the scales and sat still :o that's a first. Then back in the car she lay down and was quiet all the way home. Probably because she didn't have Kai to back her up ;) the sting was the cost, one booster and two worming tablets ( one for her one for Kai) £50.08 :o :o
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2019, 8:00 am

Morning all! :wave:. Ouch icey! Furry friends are such a delight - but so expensive to keep well!

Hi Tezza! Nice to 'see' you! Can't remember when I last went to a proper work do. About 20 years ago they stopped being food/drink and the sort of entertainment everyone could join in with and became a night out in a club with no chance of conversation over the music and most of the money channelled towards drink, with predictable results. When I reached 50 and colleagues got younger and younger it would have been like them having a night out with their granny so I didn't bother any more. I think they thought I was a bit miserable - nothing new there! I used to love it when I worked somewhere where there were glitzy parties - but it can be expensive to get kitted out to go. Just a meal in a pub and a few drinks and laughs suits me.

The sun's out, I might take advantage of it and go out and about. Rain is due at 3pm. Guess what time I'm meeting GD from school. :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2019, 8:08 am

Hopefully today will be less hectic than yesterday ... the bedlinen is in the wash and the bed made up again ... that had been planned for yesterday ... fortunately I’d cleaned the bathroom and cloakroom and done the floors and some dusting downstairs over the weekend so the only other job that had been planned for yesterday was a dust and hoover in the bedroom ... and I can’t be faffed to do that today ... it really doesn’t look as if it needs it so it can wait until I feel like doing it. Supper will be Cock-a-leekie and dumplings with the remains of Sunday’s roast chicken ...I’ll pop that in the Crockpot to chunter away ... oh! and I must nip down to Boots for my flu jab at 3pm ... can someone remind me at 2:30 ish please? ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2019, 8:11 am

Chuckling ... looks like we’ll both be going out in the rain EM :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2019, 8:13 am

Good morning
Sunny here
:wave: Teresa

I repeat - there’s nothing intrinsically “bad” or “evil” about FB, it’s who you choose to hang out with on there, same as you choose your pub, club, or forum. I came across a forum the other day of this format that is dedicated to being nasty about people with a public profile and finding ways to bully them on line, the same people who used to send nasty letters written in green ink. I don’t accept contacts from people I don’t have a real life link to.

It’s sunny here and I think I’ve made a breakthrough on the paperwork front

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2019, 8:24 am

I think FB is possibly easier to manage as an older but not overly vulnerable person, but it can go sour for anyone. For the young or vulnerable who are more likely to be bullied or easily taken but want to join in with peers it is far more dangerous. Has anyone been watching The Circle? It's trashy TV but very interesting. A group of people go to live in individual flats and communicate only by text message. Some are who they say they are and some are not. It is entertaining but highlights how one can never be sure of the true identity of strangers they become friends with online (including forums!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 8th, 2019, 8:59 am

Good morning everyone,
I like and use FB but like all my internet use I'm wary and restrict personal info. I'm on a couple of local groups and there are some hideous things posted at times, given we are a fairly small community and folk tend to use their real names on FB I'm surprised that they haven't ended in in real life fisticuffs.
I have a horribly sore arm after my flu jab yesterday, I don't remember it being like last year but may just have forgotten. No doubt it will settle in few days.
Wet, windy and chilly here today, apart from the usual bin run I don't need to go anywhere so will just potter indoors.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2019, 9:04 am

Just heard we have another major pipe burst locally
Posting because this video is astonishing
https://twitter.com/steveastubbs/status/1181468125084168192?s=21
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 8th, 2019, 9:06 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Lovely to see you Tezza. Works Christmas dos can be fun but equally they can be an absolute pain. It depends how good the organiser and the venue are. The best ones I ever went to were those organised and paid for by the editor of the regional newspaper I freelanced for. They were always at a top restaurant, at lunch time - so no getting home late - well not very ;) and he knew his wines. :tu:

The worst were with other teachers. I just stopped going.

I think you are right em about age and vunerablity on FB. The incident which distressed DS so much was when he was quite young and had really bad experiences with his then wife when she walked out with their baby. It was very very nasty at the time. She is still poisonous and is now on her 4th husband.

Gorgeous day but I have a pile of ironing to do. There is still plenty of soup from yesterday so that's lunch dealt with. Christian loved the soup I sent him and was utterly charmed with the cheese scones - never seen them before. Now I know who will appreciate them when I next make a batch.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2019, 9:10 am

Oh dear, glad I've retired! Obviously I hope there are no casualties but spare a thought for the poor guy who gets there first! So many things to deal with at once. :(.

edited to say - who can resist a cheese scone!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 8th, 2019, 10:33 am

Looks like a good burst! :o

Let's hope that they still have the local knowledge and expertise to find the right valves to shut it all off. I too am glad that I retired.

There's going to be a few disappointed people around there when they realise that the water company is not liable for any damage to property or cars.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » October 8th, 2019, 10:55 am

I'm fairly active on FB- I'm a member of several closed groups as well as using it to stay in touch with friends and relatives- and I actually enjoy it. I think the potential for things to get nasty is sadly an internet occupational hazard. I've been a member of quite a few internet forums over the years (including several currently in addition to Wildfood) and have found the potential for things to turn toxic is always present especially if the forum is not well modulated. The old BBC Food Forum is a good example of what can happen when things start to go wrong. Indeed, the capacity for apparently sensible, adult human beings to behave very, very badly when in a 'virtual' situation never fails to amaze me.

Good to see you Tezza! :wave:

As for work Xmas do's.... don't get me started :rolleyes: . I have to say it's one of the things I really, really don't miss. I don't think I ever went to one that wasn't compromised in some way or other. I always went with a feeling of doom but the problem with Xmas do's is they're SO difficult to get out of (especially if you're 'management' as I was).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 8th, 2019, 10:55 am

In the 'older' days of working for Hilton, we had some magnificent Christmas parties, as you would expect. One party in particular was used as a rehearsal for the then MD's son's Bar Mitzvah ….and we had a few at the London Hilton on Park Lane where the ballroom is so big you can't see from one end to the other. Everyone came dressed up to the nines and apart from buying raffle tickets, with all proceeds to charity, no other money was needed. The raffle prizes were something too, with our suppliers being asked to donate, so it was week-ends away, holidays including flights and in my time I have won a tv, a coffee machine and other stuff … :tu: I think all this came to an end once the Americans took over .. :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2019, 11:08 am

aero280 wrote:Let's hope that they still have the local knowledge and expertise to find the right valves to shut it all off. I too am glad that I retired.

Rather unfortunate that it's in the general area where the CEO before last rashly promised there would never be any more big bursts :rolleyes:. Still a few faithful oldies left on the patch (who can't afford to retire!) but the young are pretty good and there's continual work to update plans as it's controlled heavily from afar. Lots of red tape though and priorities not always what people expect. They'll have fun shutting that off though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 8th, 2019, 12:16 pm

I missed your post Sue. extremely spectacular.

em Our Danish friend Kai can quite easily resist a cheese scone. He won't eat anything which has even been in the same room as a piece of cheese and leaves the table when it is served - which is at least once during a meal in France
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2019, 12:20 pm

How trying! Is it a dislike or an allergy?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 8th, 2019, 1:18 pm

suffolk wrote:Hopefully today will be less hectic than yesterday ... the bedlinen is in the wash and the bed made up again ... that had been planned for yesterday ... fortunately I’d cleaned the bathroom and cloakroom and done the floors and some dusting downstairs over the weekend so the only other job that had been planned for yesterday was a dust and hoover in the bedroom ... and I can’t be faffed to do that today ... it really doesn’t look as if it needs it so it can wait until I feel like doing it. Supper will be Cock-a-leekie and dumplings with the remains of Sunday’s roast chicken ...I’ll pop that in the Crockpot to chunter away ... oh! and I must nip down to Boots for my flu jab at 3pm ... can someone remind me at 2:30 ish please? ;)

SUFFS GET YOUR COAT GIRL IT'S 2.18....GO GET YOUR FLU JAB :tu: :tu: :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 8th, 2019, 1:22 pm

It's raining here now and quite chilly, I have just put the heating on :o

SUFFS are you still there :rolleyes: go and get your flu jab.
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I belong to several closed FB groups, it can be useful, a local Souni craft group can no longer meet in their original place, I have suggested that they join the Pissouri group, this idea is still being mulled over.
We now have nine caterpillars on the parsley :rolleyes: Meanwhile the limes are ripe, Deb wanted to make Lime Marmalade but I have vetoed that on the grounds that we do not eat marmalade. However, Key Lime Pie looks a distinct possibility.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop