Gueridon ?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Gueridon ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 5th, 2019, 8:14 am

We have this in the shop ….. we all thought it was a burner for Turkish coffee, but a retired chef visited us the other day and identified it as a 'Gueridon' … a burner for flambéing (duck á l'orange, crépes etc) at the table - perhaps not so popular these days ? If so, I don't think it will ever sell in the shop, so may put this on eBay … but is it really what the chef called it? When I googled, 'gueridon' .. it came up with a circular table .. :?

I know there are experts out there ;) :tu: 8-)
Attachments
agueridon.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Gueridon ?

Postby scullion » September 5th, 2019, 8:24 am

https://www.cooksinfo.com/gueridon-service.

it sounds like the name is more about the service than the burner.
nice looking piece of kit - i would consider it so possibly others would - maybe you can find a nice pot and long forks and suggest it's use is for a fondue?
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 5th, 2019, 8:55 am

I think you would call it a flambe burner from a gueridon - the gueridon being the whole kit with trolley. I love it, someone might be really pleased with it! It looks too big to go on the actual dining table for crepes suzette etc which is a shame but how lovely to have room for it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 5th, 2019, 10:35 am

I’d call that a chafing pot or chafing burner - used for heating or flambéing food at the table, steak Diane springs to mind, much bigger than one for Turkish coffee.

Searching Nisbets’s for gueridon returned nothing but searching for “chafing” reveals a number of clearly related items, largely fuel packs, but also an inexpensive simple set clearly for a similar purpose
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vienna-chafing-set/cb063

And I think the fuel might put people off even if they like it, unless it is easily adapted to take modern gel fuel which is clean and odourless, I doubt anyone will want to fiddle about with meths (especially since they added the stink)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 5th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Thanks everyone … :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 5th, 2019, 12:39 pm

I'd call it a chafing dish burner too. The last time I saw one in use was in a tradition bistro in Paris for crepes Suzette. Pity you don't have the pan ,the chafing dish.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop